Pillow Talk (1959) Poster

(1959)

Comedy to aid the sick!
wrenster13 March 2003
So there I was, in my sick-bed when this film comes on. I start to watch, having never seen it before, and to my surprise, find myself laughing...out loud.

I have never really been a fan of either Doris Day or Rock Hudson, but I did enjoy this piece of fluff. And in our modern times when comedies currently released in the cinema can hardly raise a smile, let alone a laugh, I found this a pure delight. So the sexual politics maybe a little outdated, but there were some beautifully timed comedy set-pieces: The moment Doris Day discovers the real identity of Hudson's character has one of the best use of music I have seen in a movie since the Warner Bros cartoons!

A film that I didn't think I would enjoy, but was completely bowled over by.
58 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The wildest behind in New York City!
moonspinner5522 May 2001
A party-line turns an interior decorator and a songwriting ladies' man into enemies--that is, until he gets a look at her. When Doris Day is forced into a nightclub by a junior-suitor, she makes the best of it and does a shimmy on the dance-floor in a tight white dress--you can't blame Rock Hudson (at a nearby table) nor the cameraman for zooming in on her derrière, which wiggles seductively and comically. This businesswoman is really a closeted gal-about-town, and Day gives one of her freshest, funniest performances here. I also liked the tinkly background score and the handful of songs (the title cut, "Roly Poly" and "Possess Me"), but apparently Doris didn't. In her autobiography, she scathingly dismisses all the music from her '60s bedroom comedies as "mediocre", blaming her skinflint husband for bypassing top-rank composers like Henry Mancini for "a bunch of no-names". Why Doris!!

***1/2 from ****
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bedroom Problems
BumpyRide13 October 2004
Out of all the "Bedroom Comedies" of the 50's & 60's this is the best by far. Nothing else comes close to "Pillow Talk" with its witty script, stylish sets, and costumes and a great cast of "A" actors at their very best. Some movies wrap you up like a warm mink coat and make everything seem right in the world. 1950's New York looks fabulous, and I've always wanted to go one of those chic supper clubs decked out like Doris is here. This is one of those rare movies that make you laugh, no matter how many times you've seen it. How sad it is for some reviewers to take fault with Alma and her apparent drinking problem (only to find love herself and throw away the bottle!) or Rock's sexuality that some just can't get past. This is an elegant romp with Doris and Rock.
62 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smart and Sassy
Martin Bradley26 July 2005
This smart and sassy sex comedy was made in 1959 but it could just as easily have been made in 1939 and the roles played here by Doris Day and Rock Hudson could have been played by Irene Dunne and Cary Grant. Michael Gordon's direction is serviceable at best but it has a likable Oscar-winning script by Russell Rouse, Maurice Richlin, Stanley Shapiro and Clarence Greene that makes the most of it's premise of the mismatched couple who find romance in the most unlikely of farcial situations.

Day is starchy and frigid but Hudson is immensely likable and displays a real comic flair. There is a gay joke at the expense of the Hudson character and knowing what we know now we might well ask how much of an 'in-joke' this really was and just who was in on the joke. The film was a huge success and re-vitalized Day's career in non-musical roles. Tony Randall's character of the slightly effete millionaire who is in love with Day is not unlike David Hyde Pierce's Niles in "Frasier" and you can see some of the best "Frasier" scripts in some of the situations here. Influential or what?
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In spite of what we know now
beresfordjd2 December 2005
In spite of what we know now, Rock Hudson still convinces as a woman-chaser!! He was never considered to be a great actor but he convinced the public for years- so what dom the critics know? This movie is brilliant in every respect-script, plot , performances and the look of the whole thing. How can Doris Day be so sexy and virginal at the same time? Rock Hudson showed a real flair for comedy in this film and it is no wonder that every romantic comedy has been judged against the "Rock Hudson/Doris Day" movies. Even the Doris Day movies NOT starring Rock Hudson were called "Rock Hudson/Doris Day" !!! Doris Day was/is one of the most underrated actresses of the last 50 years. She could play comedy with perfect timing, but convince totally in dramas (check out "Love Me or Leave Me"-fantastic performance.) I must have watched this movie dozens of times and it is still true entertainment. If you have never watched one of her movies then make a point of doing so-yes they have dated, but what has not? Real talent not hype is what true stars have. By the way the 9/10 is because of the dated plot.
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Predictable, but a delight.
gridoon20 August 2001
This first teaming of Doris Day and Rock Hudson is a delightful, visually beautiful comedy - old-fashioned but hardly dated. The two stars make a charming, shiny couple (it's easy to see why they were so popular in their time) and Thelma Ritter steals the show in a needless but funny supporting role. The only problem you may have is that the course of the plot seems to be thoroughly predetermined from the first frame, but the film does a pretty good job of delaying the inevitable. Great sound effects, too. (***)
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Super! Super! Super!
rbrb6 December 2004
Well done Cinemax(cable TV channel) for showing this wonderful movie!

Surely this must rank amongst the top romantic comedies of all time.

Brilliant performances from the super stars Doris Day and Rock Hudson, with equally brilliant support from the likes of Tony Randell and Thelma Ritter.

This picture is so good it had me laughing out loud constantly.

Everything about this film is perfect: the script, the acting, the music, the story, the lighting, music, costumes, titles et al.

Why is it that most movies of this type nowadays ain't a patch on this one?! And the movie industry should ask itself why it cannot find megastars as good as the cast in this picture.

The basic story line involves a shared phone line leading to deception and romance. The use of split screen portrayals is done marvelously. For example the two lovers talk romantically in separate bath-tubs in their different apartments the touching of each others feet is magically shown by the split screen.

One of my favorite scenes is where Rock Hudson in one of his deceptions, pretends he is gay, and of course later history reveals the irony of that.

I thought one of the best lines in the movie was when Thelma Ritter says in effect that one cannot tell a good bottle of wine from a mere sip.

All in all, top class entertainment:

10 out of 10.
40 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"You are my inspiration....Doris"
babeth_jr3 April 2006
I can honestly say that this is my favorite movie of all time. It has everything a romantic comedy needs...a wonderful script, snappy dialog and of course, the wonderful performances by every single actor in the movie. Doris Day is dead on as Jan Morrow, a single interior decorator, living alone in New York City in the late 1950's who has to share a party line on her telephone (which was not that unusual for that day and time, as hard as it is to believe now) with Brad Allen, played with smarmy brilliance by Rock Hudson. Tony Randall plays Jan's friend and client, Jonathan, a neurotic millionaire who wants to be more than just friends with Doris, but can't get to first base with her. The delightful Thelma Ritter is perfectly cast as Alma, Day's hard drinking but wise housekeeper. Doris can't stand sharing her party line with the womanizing Brad Allen, but when Allen sees her at a night club and figures out who she is and that she will never have anything to do with him if she knows his true identity, he invents an alter ego for himself, Rex, the cowboy from Texas. The ensuing story just gets funnier and funnier, as Jonathan, (Tony Randall's character) starts figuring out the deception, and romantic mayhem ensues. Doris Day never looked lovelier as she did in this film, and Rock never looked more handsome. It is ironic that he played such a blatant womanizer in this film, when of course, in real life he was a gay man. Although the film seems kind of dated now (at the time this film was made it was unusual for a woman to be single and successful) it is still tons of fun to watch. They just don't make movies like this anymore. A definite 10 stars!
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun and frolics in abundance
Star526 November 2002
Fabulous Doris Day and the equally enigmatic Rock Hudson work wonderfully together to create this stylish comedy. Witty lines and double entendre trip off their tongues with ease in one of the best and funniest films I have seen for a long time. Doris Day looks fantastic, in what I would consider the greatest film of her career and Rock Hudson shines in his double role - watch out for the scenes where the Doctor and Nurse mistakenly believe him to be pregnant! Would advise anyone to watch whether a fan of Doris or not.
38 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A New Screen Coupling Creates Box Office Magic
Isaac585531 July 2006
By 1958, Doris Day's career was on the downslide and something drastic needed to be done to revive her career. 1959'S PILLOW TALK redefined Doris' image and created an entirely new genre of the "will she or won't she" sex comedy as well as introducing one of the greatest romantic screen couplings in history...Doris Day and Rock Hudson. Day plays Jan Morrow, an interior decorator who shares her phone line with Brad Allen (Hudson) a song-writing playboy who ties up Doris' phone by singing love songs (actually the same song) over the phone to the parade of women in his life. Day's attempts to get a private phone line fail and she and Hudson begrudgingly come up with a system to share the phone which Hudson doesn't stick to. Tony Randall plays Jonathan Forbes, a rich playboy who is a client of Doris' and Rock's best friend, who is crazy about Doris but she doesn't feel the same way. One night, Brad discovers Jan at a nightclub and knowing she already hates him, pretends to be a wealthy Texan in order to romance her and this is where the fun begins. Yes, the story is dated because party lines are virtually a thing of the past but it is the linchpin upon which this story delightfully plays out. Director Michael Gordon cleverly uses split-screen images to put Doris and Rock together on screen in seemingly compromising positions, very adult for 1959 and watching Brad pretending to be cowboy Rex Stetson, trying to romance Jan while Brad tries to advise Jan over the phone about what a cad Rex is, is a lot of fun. Day lights up the screen here, in a luminous performance that earned her her first and only Oscar nomination. Hudson, previously only seen in dramatic films up to this point, turns out to be gifted farceur and interviews in his later years, always credited Doris for teaching him how to do comedy. Randall is comic perfection as Jonathan as is Thelma Ritter, who was also nominated for an Oscar for her work as Jan's housekeeper. A delight from start to finish that introduced a new movie couple that would give Fred and Ginger and Spenceer and Kate a run for their money.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great stuff from Doris
didi-520 June 2004
This hugely enjoyable romantic comedy from the late 1950s teamed Doris Day with Rock Hudson and struck gold. They'd team for three films in all, but this is the best of them.

Doris Day plays an interior decorator who finds she's sharing a telephone party line with a womanising songwriter (Hudson) - she finds him unbearable at the end of the phone, but there are definite sparks for the better when they meet for real. He goes about romancing her in the guise of a nice Southern boy and almost succeeds ...

In support are the funny Thelma Ritter and Tony Randall, perfect foils for the glamorous leads. The film zips along with a large amount of charm, certainly helped by the colour and the snappy title song. There are numerous classic scenes to add to the fun but I won't spoil yours until you've seen it. If you've never seen this, lucky you, you've got a treat to look forward to.
37 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
screwball at its best
jamdonahoo7 March 2006
Rock and Doris are perfectly cast in this hilarious if improbable comedy. Tony Randall excels as does Thelma Ritter in supporting roles. There is a thinly veiled reference to Rock's sexual preference as there is in Lover Come Back. Was Hollywood jerking our chain? Doris plays the dedicated career girl/unspoiled maiden and I am reminded of Oscar Levant's comment, "I knew Doris before she was a virgin". The atmosphere of New York City in the 50s is faithfully reproduced and the dialog is witty and clever. This was Rock's debut as a comic actor and he pulled it off flawlessly. His acting skills have been for the most part underrated.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pacy Comedy That Sparkles With Wit and Charm
Margo C21 May 2005
I first saw Pillow Talk as a small child and loved it then. The obvious chemistry between Doris and Rock is a joy to watch. Tony Randall is fantastic in it too and that old scene stealer Thelma Ritter shines. They don't make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity.

There is still a battle between the sexes and although the movie premiered in 1959 it's as fresh and relevant as it ever was. I'm sad now that Rock didn't do more comedy than he did, as he had a knack and a timing that is second to none. I loved 'Send Me No Flowers' and 'Lover Come Back' also. I would recommend all three to any fan of either Rock or Doris. Tony also appears in all three.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There Must Be A Pillow Talking Rock For Doris, THERE MUST
bkoganbing3 March 2007
Pillow Talk was the first of three films Rock Hudson and Doris Day teamed on. Personally, I don't think it was their best, but it's entertaining enough.

Though for the life of me I can't understand what Doris did in this particular comedy to warrant an Oscar nomination. Pillow Talk doesn't stand out in that way. Doris was passed over for such things as Love Me Or Leave Me, The Man Who Knew Too Much and Midnight Lace where she really did do some good acting.

The premise is dated, party lines are certainly a thing of the past now with text messaging cell phones. I do recall back around the same time my grandparents still having a party line. In that sense Pillow Talk is dated.

Still the film is funny enough. Virginal interior decorator Doris Day happens to get the same party line as wolfish songwriter Rock Hudson. Rock with his non-stop love life is constantly cutting in on Doris's business calls.

When he accidentally learns who she is when at a bar she's fending off the advances of young Nick Adams, Rock embarks on an all out campaign to nail her as another trophy. Of course the imponderable of love always gets in the way in these films.

Doris Day in all of her comedy films, be they with Rock Hudson or others always got a good group of supporting players. It seemed obligatory that Tony Randall before finding fame as Felix Unger, was always cast as the hero's best if goofy friend. It's either him or Gig Young in these roles. He creates his perennial character in Pillow Talk.

On the female side Thelma Ritter as Doris's perpetually hung over maid is her deadpan best. My favorite scene in Pillow Talk is her drinking Rock Hudson under the table.

Though audiences today might not get the whole party line premise, Pillow Talk is still funny enough for even the younger viewers.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable but hollow romantic comedy
bob the moo26 October 2002
Internal designer Jan Morrow moves into a shared apartment block to find that the lack of phone lines means she has to share a phone with a man in another apartment. However that man, Brad Allen, spends so much time talking to other girls that Jan can't get a call in. However through a common acquaintance the two meet – but Brad covers his accent and woos her with her never suspecting his true identity.

The story won an Oscar! How! The contrived and unlikely plot is just one of many unlikely set ups that romantic comedies use to get people to fall in and out of love before sorting everything out in a big happy hug of an ending. The plot here is OK (but an Oscar?!) and is slightly better than average in it's scenario. It's quite predictable and unlikely but as long as it's fizzy and enjoyable then it shouldn't matter.

The delivery is quite enjoyable and is fizzy without being hilarious. The jokes are never more than amusing but still add enough fizz to the mix to the film. The chemistry between Hudson and Day is at an early stage in their career together and doesn't always come together – although it may be the fact that she spends the majority of the film disliking him. Hudson however is actually pretty good throughout and delivers a lot of really good jokes and asides. I'm not a big fan of him as I've always seen him as just a matinee hunk but the material suits him here. The two leads are OK but the support cast are wasted for the most part. Tony Randall is capable of much more than the bitter friend role given to him here, and only occasionally does he get a chance to look good. A bigger waste is Ritter as Alma. She has delivered a similar character in other films to good effect (most famously Rear Window) but here she barely has any screen time to work her world weary, drunken wonder.

Overall this is a Saturday afternoon matinee at best. The predictable plotting and unlikely set up would be terrible if it didn't have fizz and some nice humour. If you're in an undemanding mood then this would suit you well for a wet Saturday indoors.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Delightful Romantic Comedy
Claudio Carvalho11 May 2013
In New York, the interior decorator Jan Morrow (Doris Day) and the wolf composer Brad Allen (Rock Hudson) share a party line, but Brad keeps it busy most of the time flirting with his girlfriends. They do not know each other but Jan hates Brad since she needs the telephone for her business and can not use it.

Coincidently Jan's wealthy client Jonathan Forbes (Tony Randall) that woos her is the best friend of Brad and he comments with him that he feels an unrequited love for Jan, who is a gorgeous woman. When Brad meets Jan by chance in a restaurant, he poses as a naive tourist from Texas named Rex Stetson and seduces her. But Jonathan hires a private eye to find who Rex Stetson is.

"Pillow Talk" is a delightful romantic comedy that improved my Saturday afternoon. This is the first time that I watch this movie and Doris Day and Rock Hudson show a great chemistry. But Thelma Ritter steals the movie in the role of the alcoholic housemaid Alma. The gags with the nurse and the obstetrician are also hilarious. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Confidências à Meia-Noite" ("Confidences at Midnight")
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Love it, love it, love it!!
TheLittleSongbird3 October 2010
Before I saw Pillow Talk, as much as I did love Young At Heart, Move Over Darling, Love Me or Leave Me and The Thrill of It All, I thought I'd never see a Doris Day film that I loved more than Calamity Jane. Well with Pillow Talk, I found it. It is witty, charming, smart, fresh and funny, and like I said with Move Over Darling it doesn't have a single wasted scene. Also it is my personal favourite of the films Day made with Universal Studios.

I will admit when I first saw the film I did occasionally find it slow and the ending a little abrupt. Seeing it again, any flaws I had with it initially went completely, and the more I saw Pillow Talk the more I found to like and the more I liked it. The story about a telephone party line is smart and quite original. It is glossy froth, but I like glossy froth. The production values are pretty simple yet glamorous and the music is pleasant and memorable, I especially loved the title song which is really quite catchy. The screenplay is witty and funny and has charm to it too, while the film is very well directed by Michael Gordon.

Even better are the performances. Doris Day once again is fresh and endearing, and Rock Hudson also has his share of adroit humour and does it with flair. But these two are superbly supported by Tony Randall, who I think gives his best performance in this film and Thelma Ritter who also have the best material. In conclusion, a truly wonderful film, if you give it a chance I think you'll like it. 10/10 Bethany Cox
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How many times do you have to see this wonderful, romantic, and comical film to be in the Guiness Book? I think I'm close
Amy Adler22 March 2010
Jan Morrow (Doris Day), an interior decorator who moved from Milwaukee to Manhattan, is at wit's end. In the late fifties, especially in the booming New York City area, private phone lines were hard to come by. Thus, she has a "party line" (she shares one) with Brad Allen (Rock Hudson), a smooth songwriter of Broadway hits. Since Brad is very handsome, women call him at all hours, thanking him for their "nights" together and begging him to sing them love songs on the phone. This exasperates Jan, for she needs to make business calls as well as personal. Arguing and pleading with him does no good. So, she goes to the phone company with a complaint and a plea for a private line but it backfires. Wouldn't you know, Ma Bell sends a unmarried female inspector to investigate and Brad charms her into writing a positive report. This upsets Jan even more. But, one day, wealthy businessman, Jonathan (Tony Randall), who provides the finances for Brad's shows, happens to mention that he has a new love interest. Yes, he tells Mr. Allen, her name is Jan and she decorated his office very nicely. Not only that, she's a looker. Well, well. Soon after, a chance encounter at a restaurant lets Brad see Ms. Morrow but he knows if flirts with her as himself, he's dead in the water. Thus, when she needs help with a drunk client, he poses as "Rex Stetson" from Texas, with a drawl and since Jan has never seen him, she has no idea he is pulling one over on her. But, oh, how she likes his looks and charm! The two begin to go out on dates and Jan falls head over heels. Meanwhile, Brad still calls up Jan to give her advice on love, which she can't help listening to, since she knows he's an expert. How soon will it be until the truth comes out? This is a classic romantic comedy that may indeed be the best one ever made. My sisters and I loved it as teens in the early sixties and "caught" it on the tube whenever we could. The two stars, Hudson and Day, are perfection itself as the sparring phone partners and as the couple falling in love. In addition, the rest of the cast, including Randall and Thelma Ritter, is also quite nice. The setting, costumes and camera work are topnotch, too, while the script is gleefully, unabashedly funny AND romantic. If you have never seen it, don't delay. Buy, borrow or rent it, plop yourself onto the couch with some soft pillows, and giggle your cares away.
VERY mixed feelings
preppy-315 July 2003
The first of the three so-called "sex comedies" made with Doris Day and Rock Hudson.

Day plays interior decorator Jan Morrow. She shares a party line with womanizing Brad Allen (Hudson). She hates him for always monopolizing the phone calling his various girlfriends. Allen's best friend Jonathan Forbes (Tony Randall) is in love with Jan. Brad sees Jan, falls in love, disguses himself as a Texan and proceeds to steal her away from his buddy. Some friend!

SPOILERS IN THE NEXT PARAGRAPH!!!!

This movie has a lot of negative things about it--the sexual innuendo is stupid and extremely unfunny (I groaned aloud at one of the lines). Thelma Ritter plays an alcoholic maid named Alma--her alcoholism is presented as cute and funny--alcoholism is NOT funny (although I did laugh when she drank Hudson under the table). There are a few homophobic lines that come from Hudson--homophobia is never funny and hearing them come from Hudson is extremely disturbing. The film also makes the point that a woman living alone with a successful job can never be happy without a man in her life. Sheesh!

The good things--the acting is good--Hudson and Day play off each other beautifully. I love the split screens used throughout the picture. Everything looks colorful and beautiful--Day is just breathtaking and her clothes are incredible--Hudson is strong, handsome and when he smiles...sigh. Also this is where some of the things we now see as cliches were invented--the voiceovers, split screen, the (purposedly?) lousy back screen projection and the montage of Hudson and Day seeing the sights.

So, on one hand I liked this a lot--there's always something to look at. On the other hand the stupid sex jokes and treatment of women make me uncomfortable. I can only give it a 7. And don't let the term "sex comedy" bother you--this might have been extreme in 1959 but it's very tame today.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best of This Era
Incalculacable5 March 2006
I would say that Pillow Talk is one of the best, if not the best comedy of this era... The plot is as follows: an intelligent, hard working woman (Doris Day) shares a phone line with a handsome womanizer (Rock Hudson) and he is always on the phone line romancing women, so she cannot use it. She detests the man, but after a series of events Hudson fakes his voice pretends to be a southern man with values. They fall in love.

This funny, clever, witty and fluffy movie is what inspired 'Down With Love'. I actually saw Down With Love first and was really interested to see what inspired that great love. Just the pure wonder of the amazing, quirky lines and the fun outfits makes this movie worth buying. You can see the transition to the early sixties fashions was very much taking place.

I love this movie because it will always cheer me up no matter how I feel. It's very clever and witty - one of the best of this era.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Delightful Talk with Day and Hudson ****
edwagreen16 February 2006
After a string of serious dramas, Rock Hudson broke out into comedy and showed his adeptness to it in 1959's "Pillow Talk."

As a swinging song writer, Rock was charming but nasty to the person that he shared a phone line with-Doris Day.

The two really go at it as they accuse each other of monopolizing the phone. What they don't know is that they share a common friend, the ever great Tony Randall, a millionaire in this one, who can't seem to get Day to marry him.

Doris is an interior decorator in this one and when she does the home of the wealthy Lee Patrick, son, Nick Adams, in a funny performance, gets drunk while with her at a local nightclub. As luck would have it, Hudson is in the next booth with his date, a lovely Julia Meade. He realizes that this is his enemy from the party line. Too woo her, he puts on a terrific Texas accent, which he may have learned from his role in "Giant," and becomes Rex Stetson.

You can imagine the hilarity when Day finds out who he really is. Along for the ride is Thelma Ritter, Day's maid, who portrays Alma, an alcoholic maid, ready to give good advice to all concerned.

The dialogue is great. Randall hopes that Hudson will do great scoring when he loans him his weekend retreat in Connecticut.

This was the only film that Doris Day was ever Oscar nominated for. Thelma Ritter received her 5th of 6 supporting nominations for this film.

A classy movie, funny to watch, and a pleasure to view. You may even wish for cross-wires after seeing this great film.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent, despite the dated conventions.
coy_dog024 June 2004
Many modern viewers might find this film to be 'cheesy', and I'll admit that many of the conventions are outdated and possibly sexist, but the fact is the script and directing are flawless. This sort of film could simply not be made in 2004. In today's industry, the only directors and writers given any kind of control over their product are either head- tripping geniuses (Charlie Kauffman) or sci-fi directors that have proven their box-office worth (Spielberg, Cameron). Any film falling under the category of 'Romantic Comedy' or 'Woman's Picture' is exclusively the domain of the major corporations, and so they're churned out in paint-by-numbers duplicates by

Hollywood every year. Anyway, a film doesn't have to 'artistic' or 'deep' to be well made, and this film proves that. The story is perfectly laid out, and Hudson and Day are excellent on camera. Doris Day, in fact, could be the best actress of her generation.

Any doubters should see 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' for a more intense

role.

10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the better sex comedies with perfect casting.
Spikeopath4 March 2008
I have just had my first viewing of this film and grinned all thru it, not only that but I also laughed out loud on some occasions as well. So do I love this film because of the following: I have always had the most loin yearning crush on Doris Day since my snot nosed years? I simply find Tony Randall an irresistible comic joy? Rock Hudson actually brings acting substance to the table? Well all of the above helped me to enjoy this delightful sex comedy, however, it should be stressed that it has much more to offer.

I loved that Doris was showing a more sexually knowing side with the character of Jan, I really feel that the chemistry between Hudson & Day is casting gold, and boy is the story a cheeky joyous romp. Tidyily scripted and containing some visual treats {watch as Hudson towers over Randall whilst Randall picks him apart}, Pillow Talk is a film for film lovers to enjoy no matter what is the individual's preferred genre.

Looking at the history of the film I was not surprised to find that it was a massive box office success, for although the film may have been {and still seen this way now} a bit too sweet and sickly for some, it is actually a delightful wink wink nudge nudge comedy that we could do with more of in this day and age. 8/10
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
P-P-P-Pillow Talk-Talk-Talk
Fuzzy Wuzzy11 January 2015
Favorite Movie Quote: "At least my problems can be solved in one bedroom. You couldn't solve yours in a thousand!"

With Westerns, War-Dramas, and Sci-Fi dominating the movie-fare of the 1950s, producer Ross Hunter was aptly warned that Screwball Comedy like Pillow Talk would never, ever be a success at the box-office.

Even though Screwball Comedy had long been pronounced "dead" at the end of the 1940s, Pillow Talk turned out to be one of the most successful films of the 1950s. It proved just how starved movie-audiences were for pure escapist fluff, such as it was. Pillow Talk went on to be nominated for 5 Academy Awards. It won an Oscar for "Best Screen-writing".

Pillow Talk starred Doris Day and Rock Hudson. Pairing these 2 stars together proved to be such a success that they eventually went on to make 2 other Romantic Comedies together, but neither of which turned out to be as magical as Pillow Talk.

Featuring some pretty snappy dialogue, energetic performances, lush photography, and high production values, Pillow Talk is certainly an all-round fun and very enjoyable 1950s Comedy.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Never Pass Up a Chance To See Pillow Talk!
Scooter012310 March 2006
Pillow Talk is a great film. It's an opportunity to watch Rock Hudson and Doris Day looking great at the peak of their careers. Tony Randall and Thelma Ritter are marvelous in their supporting roles. This is not a deep and socially important movie - if you want that, why not try "To Kill A Mockingbird"? It's somewhat preposterous and improbable, and centering as it does around something called a "Party Line" telephone it's dated. (For those who don't know what that is, a "Party Line" was a telephone line shared by two or more "parties." It was very much like having an extension in someone else's house. And, yes, if they were using the phone, your phone was also "busy" - you could neither take nor receive calls while your party line sharers were on the phone. "Private" lines were available, but they were priced at a premium. Most people were satisfied to have party lines...they were actually fun in many ways, one of those being that you could eavesdrop on your neighbors.) This movie is a lot of fun, doesn't require much thinking, and is safe for the whole family. No mean-spirited slapstick here, just fun, and if you give yourself permission to suspend disbelief, you'll love this movie as much as I. You get a couple of great tunes sung by Doris Day, too. Doris had it all: wholesome beauty, great acting talent, and an amazing singing voice. I almost never pass up a chance to see this movie whenever it's on TCM. Next time it comes up, I'd recommend you see it, too.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this