Bell Book and Candle (1958) Poster

Puberty Catalyst
robert48-118 October 2005
I researched this film a little and discovered a web site that claims it was actually an inside joke about the Post WWII Greenwich Village world of gays and lesbians. With the exception of Stewart and Novak, the warlocks and witches represented that alternative lifestyle. John Van Druten who wrote the stage play was apparently gay and very familiar with this Greenwich Village. I thought this was ironic because I first saw Bell, Book and Candle in the theater when I was in 5th or 6th grade just because my parents took me. It was hard to get me to a movie that didn't include horses, machine guns, or alien monsters and I planned on being bored. But, I remember the moment when Jimmy Stewart embraced Kim Novak on the top of the Flatiron building and flung his hat away while the camera followed it fluttering to the ground. As the glorious George Duning love theme soared, I suddenly got a sense of what it felt like to fall in love. The first stirrings of romantic/sexual love left me dazed as I left the theater. I am sure I'm not the only pre-adolescent boy who was seduced by Kim Novak's startling, direct gaze. It's ironic that a gay parable was able to jump-start heterosexual puberty in so many of us. I am in my late 50's now and re-watched the film yesterday evening and those same feelings stirred as I watched that hat touch down fifty years later . . .
86 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pyewacket and friends get the Hollywood treatment
blanche-226 April 2006
The play Bell, Book, and Candle was a favorite of mature actresses to do in summer stock and take on the road. One famous story, told by director Harold J. Kennedy, has Ginger Rogers insisting that her then husband, William Marshall, who was not an actor, costar with her. Marshall wore a toupee, and when he walked through a doorway, his toupee caught on a nail and stayed behind, dangling in the doorway as he walked on stage.

The play was adapted successfully into a beautiful color film starring Kim Novak, James Stewart, Jack Lemmon, Elsa Lanchester, Hermoine Gingold, Ernie Kovacs, and Janice Rule. It's light entertainment, about a normal-appearing family of witches (Novak, Lemmon, and Lanchester) and the publisher (Stewart) who lives in their building. The most expert of them is the sultry, soft-voiced Gillian, who would love to be normal. One night, with Stewart in her apartment, she puts a spell on him using her Siamese cat, Pyewacket, and he falls in love with her.

"Bell Book and Candle" was filmed on a charming set that replicates New York. The movie is loads of fun. Jack Lemmon is very funny in a supporting role as Gillian's brother, a musician in the witch and warlock-laden Zodiac Club. He uses his powers to turn streetlights on and off and to turn on the occasional woman. Janice Rule is perfect as the snobby ex-college rival of Gillian, now dating Stewart, and Ernie Kovacs has a great turn as an eccentric who is writing the definitive book on witches. Lanchester and Gingold, of course, are always wonderful, Lanchester Gillian's daft aunt and Gingold as a sort of queen of witchcraft.

Kim Novak is a good fit for Gillian, giving the character a detachment befitting a witch, showing emotion when it becomes appropriate, and with that voice, fabulous face, and magnificent wardrobe, she certainly is magical. Stewart, in his last foray as a romantic lead, costars with Novak as he did in Vertigo, and they make an effective team. He supplies the warmth, she supplies the coolness, and somehow, together they spark. In this, of course, he's much more elegant than in "Vertigo." A charming film, good for a Sunday afternoon, good around Christmas (as part of it takes place at Christmastime), and great if you feel like smiling.
43 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming
laffinsal28 March 2004
Kim Novak, at the peak of her career, is lovely here, as beautiful (single) witch, Gillian Holroyd. New neighbor, Shep (James Stewart) moves in upstairs, and suddenly that "ole black magic" is brewing all over the place.

Based upon the popular 1950s stage play, this movie does have a bit of the stagy feel to it. Despite that, there is the good use of Technicolor, George Duning's pleasant score, and the great cast of comic actors. Ernie Kovaks looks a little out of place, but he does well. Jack Lemmon is great as Novak's warlock brother, Stewart is fine, Elsa Lanchester is good as well, and so is Hermione Gingold. The real star of the film, however, is Pyewacket, Novak's handsome seal-point Siamese cat. What ever happened to him?

Not exactly a knee-slapping comedy, but pleasant, lite and fluffy entertainment. Enjoyable, and a stark contrast to Novak and Stewart's earlier pairing (the same year) in Hitchcock's "Vertigo". Worth seeing.
42 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bewitching Romantic Comedy -- Sunday Afternoon Delight!
mdm-1128 November 2004
Kim Novac is wonderful as the 'good witch' falling in love with mortal James Stewart. The special treat with this film is that there is a complete 'underground society' (literally) of witches and warlocks, of whom we get to know Elsa Lanchester and Jack Lemon, both recommending Kim Novak quickly forget her romance with the mortal man.

This film is a visual feast with some tidbits of 1950s Jazz music in the score. Complete with black cat, spell-book and magic tricks. Who can blame Jimmy Stewart for falling for Kim Novak's spell? The International cast of supporting actors includes an authentic Parisian Night Club Act, as well as the ultra-eccentric Hermione Gingold (of Gigi/Moulin Rouge fame). Elsa Lancaster is an absolute delight as the intuition-plagued Auntie Queenie. Don't miss this bewitching piece of light entertainment!
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lesson In Chemistry . . . And Moviemaking
bigpurplebear21 December 2001
"Bell, Book and Candle," one of two 1958 pairings of James Stewart and Kim Novak, may or may not be a great movie. I've long since given up caring about that question; these days, at the umpty-umpteenth viewing of the film (which dates back to the first time I ever caught it in its "secondary," or "neighborhood release" at San Francisco's Castro Theatre), I find myself still enjoying it as though I were seeing it for that first time.

On the surface, this should rightly be only one among many so-called, and largely formulaic, "sophisticated comedies" of the late-50s era. Wrong!

For one thing, you can't cast James Stewart in such a film and expect it to run true to form! More to the point, you shouldn't expect him to appear opposite Kim Novak (and 'opposite' here is the key word, in that his aura of decency and groundedness were diametrically contrary to the glacial other-worldliness which she personified), and not expect strange sparks to fly. (Hitchcock, after all, relied on this dichotomy, for different purposes, in "Vertigo.")

Add to this mixture certain key scenes which rely upon the comic chemistry between Jack Lemmon and Ernie Kovacs --already well-established in the previous year's "Operation Mad Ball" (and catch this overlooked gem, if you can, if only to see Kovacs at his absolute cinematic best) -- and you're well on your way to understanding why "Bell, Book and Candle" still turns up regularly on such venues as American Movie Classics, to say nothing of its "shelf life" in video rental outlets.

Were that not enough, you get BOTH Elsa Lanchester and Hermione Gingold, a first-rate score by George Duning ("Picnic"), superior production values and -- oh, yeah, by the way -- a storyline that can both make you laugh and pluck at the errant heartstring or two (if you don't watch out!) . ..

You get a lesson in cinematic chemistry. Maybe even . . . alchemy!
57 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kim Novak at her best (looking)
clydefrogg20 May 2002
Bell Book and Candle is not a great movie by any means (it's fair), but it's worth checking out for a couple of reasons. First, it's almost hard to believe this is the same Kim Novak that graced the screen in Vertigo the same year. The combination of her manner in this film, and her incredibly striking natural good looks make her almost hypnotic. She wears little or no makeup throughout the film, and looks infinitely better than being slathered in makeup in all her other films. Sharon Stone wishes she looked this good.

The second reason this film is worth checking out is Jimmy Stewart. Now, while I consider Stewart my favorite actor of all time, there were many instances where he was just not effective in the role he was playing. He's at his best when he's playing the naive sap (Mr. Smith, Destry, Harvey), the everyday man (Made for each other, Philadelphia story), or the straight nose who is thrust into unusual situations (this film, You Can't Take it with you) where he can play off of what's happening to him. His weaker performances, I felt, were in his straight forward dramatic roles (liberty valance, man who knew too much, even Vertigo). This film is a chance to see his everyman thrust into wacky situations.

This film is a little too tame to be considered screwball, but as with any good screwball, the supporting cast is as important as the leads. Elsa Lanchester, AKA Bride of Frankenstein, is hilarious. Ernie Kovacs, as Sidney Redlitch, is an absolute riot. I had to pause the film when he goes looking for a little "post holiday cheer", I was laughing so hard. Then, of course, there's a pre-The Apartment Jack Lemmon in a supporting role, as well.

Bell Book and Candle isn't great, and it never really seems sure of what kind of film it's trying to be, but it's pretty funny and worth seeing for the performances alone.
61 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bewitched
jotix1003 October 2005
"Bell Book and Candle" was shown recently on cable. Not having seen it for a while, we decided to take another look at this comedy. Based on the James Van Druten's Broadway hit, which was a vehicle for Rex Harrison and Lilli Palmer in the early fifties, the film was adapted for the screen by Daniel Taradash. The film was directed by Richard Quine, who turned the play into a delightful comedy.

Evidently, judging by some of the comments submitted by IMDb, the big issue seems to be the pairing of the two stars, who had collaborated on "Vertigo", released the same year. Movie audiences didn't think anything about the age difference when this film was released. In fact, most of the aging male stars of that period were always involved with much younger women.

The film set in Manhattan during Christmas is a delightful comedy that has enchanted viewers. Kim Novak was at the height of her beauty as it's clear the camera adored her no matter what was she playing. As the witch that becomes human, her Gillian is charming. James Stewart, who plays the publisher Shep' Henderson, is also seen at his best. Mr. Stewart was an excellent comedy actor who shows in here why he was at the top.

In supporting roles the wonderful Elsa Lanchester, playing Queenie, is a welcome addition to any movie, as she proves here. Jack Lemmon's Nicky Holroyd, the brother of Gillian, is also good. Ernie Kovacs is also seen as the writer Sidney Radlitch.

This is an excellent way to spend a winter night at home watching "Bell Book and Candle".
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Romantically haunting!
menaka22 December 2001
This movie was like any Jimmy Stewart film,witty,charming and very enjoyable.Kim Novak's performance as Gillian,the beautiful witch who longs to be human,is splendid,her subtle facial expressions,her every move and gesture all create Gillian's unique and somewhat haunting character,she left us hanging on her every word.I should not fail to mention Ernie Kovacs' and Elsa Lanchester's highly commendable performances as the scotch loving writer obsessed with the world of magic(Kovacs) and the latter as the lovable aunt who can't seem to stop using magic even when forbidden to.The romantic scenes between Stewart and Novak are beautifully done and the chemistry between them is great,but then again when is the chemistry between Jimmy Stewart and any leading lady bad!
44 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do You Believe in Magic in a Young Girl's Heart? Jimmy Stewart sure does.
bkoganbing24 November 2005
It took Bell, Book, and Candle almost a decade to get from Broadway to the screen. John Van Druten's play ran for 233 performances during the 1950-1951 season and served as a starring vehicle for the then married Rex Harrison and Lilli Palmer. I'm sure that the Shepherd Henderson that Harrison portrayed must have been light years different than Jimmy Stewart. Also the entire play took place in the Holroyd apartment and a whole lot of characters were added for the screen.

A good job was done in transferring this stage work for the screen, it barely betrays it's stage origin. Stewart is very good as the puzzled publisher who gets ensnared in a witch's spell because Kim Novak takes a fancy to him.

Novak was quoted as saying that her favorite leading man during her career was Jimmy Stewart and her two favorite films, Vertigo and Bell Book and Candle are the ones she did with him.

Hermione Gingold is absolutely brilliant as the head witch, Mrs. DePass, and watching Stewart drink that concoction she mixed up to kill Kim Novak's spell was a scream.

Jack Lemmon plays Novak's brother and by this time he was doing leads and carrying films on his own. He's good, but I do wonder why he accepted a supporting part here.

One thing I am curious about. How did they manage to get Pyewacket the cat to act on stage for 233 performances?
30 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adorable Halloween romance!
HotToastyRag29 October 2017
I first saw Bell Book and Candle as a kid, and I remember completely falling in love with Kim Novak and James Stewart as a couple. It was many years before I saw them in their first pairing, Vertigo, and to this day, I still prefer the witchcraft to the Hitchcock.

Kim Novak is a beautiful, modern-day witch living in New York City, hiding her powers from normal people, including her neighbor James Stewart. Jimmy is engaged to Janice Rule, whom Kim Novak hates, so she casts a little spell to exact revenge. Under the love spell, Jimmy dumps his fiancé and falls for Kim, but when she starts to fall in love with him too, what's a witch to do? This is a great movie to watch on Halloween, if you don't like scary movies but still want a festive flick. Despite Jack Lemmon's manic bongo playing and Elsa Lanchester's normal facial expressions, there's really nothing spooky about this movie. Kim has a beautiful Siamese cat, and sometimes a little spooky music plays as she talks to her cat and casts a spell, but it's more alluring than scary.

I love this movie, and while I found James Stewart very attractive in his silver-haired glory, he sadly felt he was too old to continue playing romantic leads, even though he was only fifty. This was his last one, and he went on to play nonromantic movies. Jimmy and Kim make an adorable couple, and their chemistry is lovely. If you've never seen this cute magical flick, give it a watch this October and get ready to fall in love.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kim Novak bewitches Jimmy Stewart, and the viewer as well...
ragsthetiger1 June 2000
The John Van Druten Broadway hit is brought to the screen with a maximum of star power in this romantic fantasy about a modern-day witch who beguiles a successful Manhattan publisher. James Stewart may get top billing, but it is Kim Novak who steals the show as one of the most alluring witches ever to cast a spell on the movie screen. The lead pairing is, in fact, one of the movie's few weaknesses: the gray-haired Stewart seems a bit old for the role, and while it is easy to see why he falls hard for Novak, it's a little harder to understand what she finds attractive about him, as they seem mismatched in temperment and outlook. (It is one of the story's amusing conceits that witches and warlocks are portrayed as Greenwich Village beatniks and bohemians.) Curiously, the Stewart-Novak pairing would generate a lot more heat in "Vertigo", released the same year as this film, but then "Vertigo" had a compelling suspense story, and the benefit of Alfred Hitchcock's direction.

The film's comic moments are mostly provided by the stellar supporting cast, including a young Jack Lemmon (as Kim's warlock brother), Elsa Lanchester (their ditzy aunt), and Ernie Kovacs (!) as a befuddled writer. Hermione Gingold even shows up in a hilarious cameo as a sort of Grand Witch. There's lots to like in this movie--wit, romance, and a great cast--that is, if you can possibly take your eyes off the enchanting Miss Novak. I have seen the movie a half a dozen times, and I never can.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another "bewitching" teaming of James Stewart and Kim Novak.
lqualls-dchin13 July 2000
Made in the same year as "Vertigo," this is an equally bewitching movie, though in a much lighter vein. It's set in an enchanted New York during the winter: Kim Novak is a witch who casts a spell over James Stewart, but gets caught in it instead. The interesting sidelight is that Novak's rival is played by Janice Rule, who originated the part of Madge in "Picnic" on Broadway (the part that Novak would make famous on film).
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this is a great film
thecla-324 September 2006
this is a wonderful film, makes the 1950'S look beautifully stylish. Kim Novak is intriguing and compelling as a modern-day witch with one foot in Manhattan and another in infinity. All the supporting performances are terrific, from Jack Lemmon as her bother Nicky to Ernie Kovacs as the author of Magic in Mexico who is working on Magic in Manghattan, to Elsa Lanchester as the slightly batty as well as witchy Aunt Queenie. And then there is the cat- I have no idea how many witches (besides me) have named a cat Pyewacket but suggest a zillion. Jmes Stewart looks out of place, but only just as much as his character is out of p;ace in this weird sub-world of magic and witchcraft. Perfect. And it has the perfect romantic happy ending, which we believe in because movies of this vintage do have those happy endings. Gillian and Shep certainly have as much chance to be happy ever after as Rose and Charlie Allnut in The African Queen (another great film)
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bewitching...Somewhat
BaronBl00d11 July 2005
Fairly sophisticated yet simple tale of mortal human Jimmy Stewart falling in love with witch Kim Novak. The fare is pretty light here, but director Richard Quine and a fine cast breathe life into it nonetheless. The film has some funny moments, some genuine acting, and is entertaining if not profound. Quine creates some beautiful backdrops. The subject of witches and warlocks is handled almost with the most moderate view to the subject I have seen...including the television show Bewitched which is said to owe part of its genesis to this film. Stewart gives an amiable and one-sided performance. Novak is lovely and stoic. For me it is the supporting cast which really shines by giving wonderful character actors eccentric roles. Elsa Lanchester and Hermione Gingold excel in these types of vehicles and Bell, Book, and Candle is no exception. Ernie Kovas also shines in his role as a mortal out to write a book on the subject of witchcraft. And lest I forget, Jack Lemmon plays a humorous warlock playing bongos no less. There is little magic to be seen and virtually no real malice performed. Wiches in Quine's world are somewhat misguided, lonely people who need to worry about money. Who knew possessing magic wasn't lucrative? Anyway, Bell, Book, and Candle is a fun, fluffy film.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bell Book & Candle; a fun, sweet love story for all ages!
Elswet28 August 2003
As a Pagan, I must say this movie has little if any Magickal significance. It's a "fun" witchcraft movie and not meant to teach us anything except that love is the strongest Magick of all, and never to use it in a controlling or vengeful way. That's a lesson everyone needs to learn, not just Pagans.

That having been said, this movie is wonderfully written and sweetly executed by Kim Novak and the venerable Jimmy Stewart.

Hermione Gingold delivers a stellar performance as Bianca, Elsa Lanchester (with too many movie credits to mention except as Ms. Jane Marbles of "Murder By Death") was wonderful as Ms. Novak's absent-minded-yet-capable upstairs neighbor Queenie. Also starring Jack Lemmon (wonderful performance) and Jim Kovacs (brilliantly witty).

"Witches can't cry. Why, they can't shed a single tear because their heart is full of Magick. They don't have time for silly things such as love." Queenie.

Gillian Holroyd (Novak) and her brother Nicky (Jack Lemmon) are Manhattan witches. Cloaked deeply within the secret underworld of those of the Craft, they live among other New Yorkers as one of them, without so much as causing a raised eyebrow.

But then, along comes Shepherd "Shep" Henderson (Stewart), a steadfast, no-nonsense, dedicated businessman who is engaged to be married to Gillian's old college rival.

By a quirky mishap of chance, he finds himself moving into Gillian's building and is instantly "bewitched" by her charm and grace. By the use of Magick, with a little help from Pyewacket (Gillian's familiar, trained by Robert E. Blair) and Queenie, Gillian begins to work on this handsome new dream man to get back at her old enemy.

But Magick should never be used to control, nor to hurt, and Gillian learns that the hard way in the most bittersweet way. Not only does she have to face what she's done, but she has to face Shep in her guilt.

From the critical perspective; however, the movie takes a serious turn: The effects are very dated to the point of being pure camp. Some of the scenery was seemingly shot in the basement of someone's small home, but at least the characters were quirky and fun.

On a personal note, Pyewacket steals the show. Great cat! Great training by Robert E. Blair.

As a Note of Trivia, this is the roots for the beloved Bewitched television sitcom. This introduces the original Samantha and Darrin. All the characters of note are present and accounted for. You have but to look, to see it for yourself.

This is one of my favorites, and I watch it often.

This movie gets a 9.1/10 from...

the Fiend :.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ring the bell for magical fun
rose_lily5 March 2013
One of my favorite movies, this is sheer entertainment that never garnered the recognition it deserves as a sophisticated, romantic fantasy. James Stewart plays Shep Henderson, the staid, conventional businessman snared and enraptured by the magical machinations of witch, Kim Novak. Their romantic involvement is both abetted and impeded by complications inserted by her Aunt Queenie, a witch, and her brother, Nicky, a warlock.

Novak, as Gillian Holroyd the witchery heroine, in partnership with her feline assistant, Pyewacket, activates a zap of a love spell on her intended, accompanied by the full ceremonial ritual of haunting music and alluring wardrobe. Novak in this film has never looked more enticing on screen. Dressed to make the object of her affection swoon, she is attired in a dress of wine colored velvet whose sleeves are manacled by red sequined bands. In this get- up, setting her slanting eyes in a gaze focused to mesmerize, she is a seductress primed to get the man she targets and have the man she wins do her bidding. Here again Stewart showcases his well-honed screen persona of hapless and gullible, performances keynoted by whiny, shrill confusion and frustration. In this film, however, these devices typical of Stewart's acting technique work for his character of the lover seduced by otherworldly powers.

In a film, abundant with eccentricity, it is the performances of the supporting cast that gives the film much of its enjoyable moments. The quirky genius of Ernie Kovacs shines as an alcoholic huckster who authors dubious exposes of witchcraft with enough sensationalist elements to guarantee best sellers. As Sidney Redlitch, Kovacs veritably steals every scene in which he appears. Grandiose in manner, and outrageous in dress, and as one character describes her, appearing as if she lived in a "pickle jar," Hermoine Gingold provides the perfect incarnation of the grand old dame of this New York witchery set. As Bianca de Passe, she reigns over proceedings, a figure lounging in the club where the coven congregates, a Greenwich Village cellar hangout appropriately named "The Zodiac." Jack Lemmon lends his great comedic facility to Nicky, a boyish amalgam of merry-magic prankster and bongo playing beatnik.

There is not one superfluous or dull moment in this movie. The premise and script are clever, it all fits, it all works and it's a whole lot of magical fun.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jimmy Stewart: Bewitched.
rmax30482321 January 2009
It's a gentle, easy-going 1950s comedy. Kim Novak belongs to a coven of witches in Manhattan. She puts a spell on neighbor Jimmy Stewart out of boredom but eventually falls in love with him, losing her powers. See, witches are permitted to have "hot blood" but not love. Elsa Lanchester is Novak's aunt, also a witch. Jack Lemmon is her brother, ditto. Hermione Gingold is the chief witch, and Ernie Kovacks is Sidney Redlich, an author who specializes in writing about witches.

I described it as a 1950s comedy because it could hardly be mistaken for anything else. Everything is so smooth and polished, from the set decoration, through wardrobe and plot, to the performances and direction. Take the character of Ernie Kovacks. He's referred to as "a drunk and a nut." And here's how the movie demonstrates these traits. He asks for a second drink, and, though he always wears a jacket and tie like the other gentlemen, his hair is a bit long and tousled. That's a strictly 1950s version of a drunk and a nut. Nothing is out of place; everything is tidy and free of dust. The soles of Jimmy Stewart's shoes are barely scuffed.

And the Zodiac Club, where the witches hang out. It's called "a low dive." Yet it's a clean, dark place with polite waiters, a quintet of musicians, neatly dressed clientèle, and potted plants against bare brick walls. That is not my idea or yours of a "low dive" -- not even for Greenwich Village in 1958. My idea of a dive in Greenwich Village is Julius's or The White Horse Tavern or The San Remo or The Swing Rendezvous, a now defunct lesbian hangout. The Zodiac Club is a high dive compared to these.

The kookiness we always hear about is muted by today's standards. I mean, Kim Novak is odd because she runs around her apartment in her bare feet. And she wears a lot of black clothes like the Beatniks of the period did.

But never mind all that. It's an enjoyable romantic comedy. Kim Novak is effective as Gillian, who runs a primitive art shop for the uptrodden. She has a strange beauty, bulky and ethereal at the same time. She glides rather than walks, a wispy presence. Her eyebrows seem drawn with a set of plastic French curves. And Jimmy Stewart is quite good as the bewildered and bewitched victim. In the 1930s he usually played in light roles. In the postwar years and for much of the 1950s he was the tortured protagonist, but here he puts his early experience in comedy to good use. Who could resist laughing when Hermione Gingold forces him to wear a shawl and drink a hideous concoction of putrid fluid in order to cure him of Novak's spell? It's good to see him as a stooge instead of the angry and indignant man of principle he was in danger of becoming. Richard Quine directs the movie quietly, without fireworks or special effects, and does some interesting things that the play couldn't have had. Note the scene in which Novak casts the spell over Stewart, when the Siamese cat's face and ears seem to merge with Novak's startling eyes.

Ernie Kovacks in the 1950s was a well-known television personality. There was never anything quite like The Ernie Kovacks Show before -- or after. It brings the word "surrealism" to mind. He could stage five minutes worth of wordless and indescribable tricks in an unpopulated room with only Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra as background. And he did an unimpeachable sketch using the character of Percy Dovetonsils, an effete poet. The movie's end credits kind of skip over The Condoli Brothers but that's a little cavalier because these two guys -- Pete and Conte -- were virtuoso trumpeters with independent careers in jazz ensembles. Conte was later a member of Doc Severison's band on Johnny Carson's Late Show. You can see Conte play a few screwy solo notes in the "No Hay Banda" performance in David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive."

The third act kind of bogs down a little and becomes more "romantic" than "comedy". But it's never dull. The whole film rolls along as neatly as Van Druten's play and the kids will probably get a kick out of it too.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gaze Into My Crystal Ball
BumpyRide31 August 2004
This is a quirky little movie. It's very enjoyable, but there's something very different about it. Perhaps it's the subject of the movie, but it certainly is a stylish 1950's movie, unlike any other that comes to mind. Novak is rather breathless the entire movie which I found to be annoying after a while, after her fine performances in Vertigo and Picnic. Stewart is his usual self, and managed to be quite funny in some scenes, and the supporting cast is fun too, but Lemon could have been used a bit more than he was.

The biggest mystery was just how little magic was used in the movie. There were a couple scenes but there were no "big" showy special effects used, not that I needed that but you would think there would be more in this type of movie since it's about witches and warlocks.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the movies that launched a thousand concepts, and a great Xmas movie alternative to boot
sts-2612 February 2009
Bell, Book and Candle was one of the great pop culture phenomena of the mid-twentieth century, very similar to the phenoms we see today (back in the 70's - more than ten years later - there were still endless references to this film). It made Novak a huge star, put a nice item on Jack Lemon's resume, cast new light on Jimmy Stewart, and gave Lancaster and Gingold new avenues to explore in their careers (both went on to continue to play witches and other curious "old bats", in film and television).

Along with the 40s movie I Married a Witch (which helped to make Veronica Lake an icon), Bell, Book and Candle inspired the grand film and TV fascination with all things witchy that began with Bewitched and has continued through Practical Magic, Worst Witch and Harry Potter.

What I rarely see noted is that the movie is also a rather interesting alternative Xmas movie. The story takes place over the Christmas holidays, and, despite the fact that it is superficially about witchcraft, actually embodies a great deal of Xmas spirit (giving, love, family, self-sacrifice, etc).

I will always watch this movie (have seen it several times since my first viewing in the early 90's) particularly if it is shown around or just after the holiday season. It has style, substance, a great cast, and terrific production values. And like Adam's Rib, it casually expresses ideas that were rather radical for its time, are radical even now (in both movies the female character is guileless and powerful), and so always seems ahead of the times.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
don't forget
anne_stone5 December 2006
this may not be War & Peace, but the two Academy noms wouldn't have been forthcoming if it weren't for the genius of James Wong Howe...

this is one of the few films I've fallen in love with as a child and gone back to without dissatisfaction. whether you have any interest in what it offers fictively or not, BB&C is a visual feast.

I'm not saying it's his best work, I'm no expert there for sure. but the look of this movie is amazing. I love everything about it; Elsa Lanchester, the cat, the crazy hoo-doo, the retro-downtown-ness; but the way it was put on film is breathtaking.

I even like the inconsistencies pointed out on this page above, and the "special effects" that seem backward now. it all creates a really consistent world.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An overlooked gem
Tashtago30 October 2005
By some happy coincidence the same year that Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak made Alfred Hitchcock's haunting masterpiece "Vertigo", they also made this light comedy. Perhaps the two actors needed to do it after undergoing the heaviness of the Hitchcock film . At any rate this a great companion piece to "Vertigo" as it again explores a very un-likely but powerful romance. In fact the film can be seen as the flip side of "Vertigo" with it's happy ending. Here again Novak undergoes a transformation, in Vertigo she essentially plays two women and here she 'transforms' from witch to mortal. Stewart is again bewitched and for awhile tormented by his love for her. Unlike Vertigo the two come together in "Bell Book and Candle" , a perfect antidote for the Hitcock movie. Again the dynamics of love and attraction are examined but in an altogether different vein. The cast is terrific. Lemmon hilarious as Novak's warlock brother and Elsa Lancaster giving a classic performance as the Aunt. Ernie Kovacs as the alcoholic cult writer and of course Hermoine Gingold playing Novak's competitor are all great. The scene with Stewart drinking the potion is comedy at it's best. Anyone who has seen Vertigo or even if you haven't should see this memorable light comedy.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Works Well As Light Entertainment
Snow Leopard12 December 2005
This works well as light entertainment, but it is rather uneven, and it leaves you thinking that it probably could have been better. The premise is interesting and creates good opportunities both for comedy and for romantic complications, the production values are generous, and the cast is first-rate. And it's certainly worth watching, yet the whole seems to be just a little less than the sum of its components.

Kim Novak works very well as Gillian, making her believable and quite captivating. The role is also written effectively, and it gives Novak a lot of good material to work with. James Stewart is equally believable (and, of course, always likable) in his part, but he is given much less to work with. The dialogue for his character never rings true the way that Gillian's does, and even though Stewart does his usual fine job with it, it's hard not to notice some of the less-inspired lines.

With Jack Lemmon, Elsa Lanchester, Ernie Kovacs, and Hermione Gingold, the supporting cast is also loaded with talent. Lanchester and her role are well-matched and quite entertaining, and the others make good use of their opportunities when the script allows them to.

The movie usually looks very good, and in particular Gillian's shop is a very nice creation that also serves as an interesting backdrop to the story. Yet it never really hits high gear, and given the concept, it might have worked better with a more episodic approach, instead of trying to sustain one story line all the way through. It is definitely worth seeing, as the cast and some of the settings alone make it worth watching. But there are some missed opportunities, and if they had been taken, it could have resulted in a really fine movie.
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a mess
gsygsy12 July 2007
Considering its pedigree, this should be a far more enjoyable film than it is. Even with a lip-smacking collection of eccentrics in the cast - what aficionado would not eagerly anticipate a movie which brings together Lemmon, Lanchester, Kovacs and Gingold? - the entire event is dully paced, drearily shot and, more often than not, witless.

Kim Novak's gifts were not essentially comic, as she went on to confirm in Kiss Me Stupid. James Stewart was a fine comedian, as he ably demonstrated in movies from ranging from The Philadelphia Story to Harvey. I think he comes out better from this mess than anyone else does. Except maybe the cat.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Music
mcvouty7816 May 2005
Although I agree that it's a good but not great movie, for many of the reasons other posters have mentioned, I still enjoy it. One reason is the music: I'd call attention to the very cool appearance by the Candoli brothers -- Conte and Pete -- in a well-staged scene in the nightclub. These guys were two of the best jazz trumpeters of their day, and they manage to convincingly boggle the mind of Jimmy Stewart by playing an hysterical trumpet duet, one trumpet in each of Stewart's ears. The Candolis really did play that well, too, though I suspect the actual music for that scene was dubbed later by the two of them. I don't know much about George Duning, who gets the credit for the music (other than that he seems to have worked with the Three Stooges on more than one occasion), but the casting of the Candoli brothers as jazz-playing warlocks was a real nice touch.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Ring the bell, close the book, quench the candle."
TxMike21 July 2003
This is a cute rom-com based on witchcraft. A 1958 movie with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak, the same year they gave us the memorable VERTIGO. Here Kim Novak again demonstrates that she's not just a pretty face, but also a fine and versatile actress, as the witch that seeks the affection of Stewart's book-publisher character. My summary, and the film's title, is from a conversation where they talk about the technique for breaking a spell.

some SPOILERS follow, you may not want to read further. The aunt puts a spell on the phone so that Stewart will have a reason to go downstairs and use Novak's phone, the spark that gets them together. Add to that, she was at college with his fiancée, remembers her as a very self-centered person, and puts a spell to make him drop her. This film purports that witches neither cry or blush, but if they were to fall in love, they would cease to be a witch.

Stewart is naturally upset to find out he was tricked into his affection for her, but in the end recognizes her blush and her tears, no longer a witch, they love each other and plan to marry. There is nothing to be taken seriously in this cute film, although there might be something about the need to be true to yourself and others. However it is just meant to be a nice diversion, and a chance to see two of the best of the 1950s - Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. On VHS, borrowed from my local library.

March 2012 edit: I have this on DVD now, part of the Kim Novak collection issued about a year ago I believe, and I confirmed once again what an entertaining movie it is.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.