The Mysterians (1957) Poster

childhood favourite still good as an adult
gjhong28 June 2002
I just rented "The Mysterians" which seems to be called "Earth Defence Force" in the Japanse version. The movie holds up well because it seems that the people involved treated the story seriously. When I was young I remember that the "Marcolights" were pretty cool and the music was very dramatic. The music still sounds good today but the sound quality on the tape wasn't that good.

I am glad to see the writers took the job seriously and had the characters ask the questions we asked from the audience. Can the Mysterians be trusted even though they say they are peaceful? Should we ask for a nuclear strike? The Marcolights have a limited range, how can we get around that? Should we wait for the Electronic Cannon or attack right now with the giant airships and Marcolights?

There were a few flaws. For example one of the characters mentioned that a fixed base was a weakness. I assume that is because you can't depend only on a defensive shield. A base must be defended by mobile fighter craft as well. The flying saucers performed that function until they unexpectedly retreated to the base during the climatic battle. The other weak point was the giant airships Alpha-1 and Beta-1. They moved like zeppelins and the standard cannon seemed weak. I guess their plot purpose was to be shot down so that Beta-2 could built for a second attack on the Mysterian base.

If you saw this movie as a kid it is still enjoyable as an adult. If you've never seen it then it is probably only of interest to those who want to see the early days of Japanese monster movies. You may be pleasantly surprised to see the leader of the Seven Samurai as the head scientist.
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Japan's Fantasies Finest Hour
xerses1310 November 2005
We have always enjoyed the early Japanese Fantasy Films circa 1954-1963. During this time they took themselves and there subjects seriously. What ever their technical short comings were you could see they were in earnest. Basically after this period starting with KING KONG -vs- GODZILLA the slide down to kiddy fare began just a step above STARMAN.

Though we consider the original GORJIRA/Godzilla as the first and the best THE MYSTERIANS is the one (1) we enjoyed most. This is a SPACE OPERA on a grand scale. Watching it is like seeing the old pulp Science-Fiction magazine covers of the 1930's being brought to life. Basically the team that acted and made the original Godzilla are back plus the addition of Technicolor and WideScreen. They needed a big and splashy story and THEM -vs- US for the world was the canvas that well suited this first effort.

We first saw it on T.V. in the mid 1960s and were enthralled like any early teenagers by these scenes of action and massed destruction. But even then we (my brother and I) felt something was missing. It was not until the early 1990s that we saw a restored Japanese print in it's original format (WS) and subtitled in English that what happened on screen made sense. Best of all there were more scenes of destruction.

It is a pity that TOHO did not make a direct sequel and made BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE instead (still a fun film). Now that they are more technically adapt it would be nice to see this film remade. The one (1) thing I would keep though (other then the basic plot line) is the exceptional musical score.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Toho's masterpiece
ebiros221 October 2005
There's something endearing about this movie. The plot is good, casting is good (with so many pretty faces, no wonder the Mystery guys wanted to come to earth), and even the score (by Akira Ifukube) remains in your head long after you see the movie. But above all there's a special atmosphere about this movie that won't let you forget it any time soon.

Mogera (Of Godzilla vs Space Godzilla fame almost 40 years later) makes its debut in this movie, and it started its career as weapon of the aliens not a giant UN transformer robot.

Once the fact that the Mysterians showed themselves, earth defense force ( thus the movie's Japanese title Chikyu Boeigun ) musters up all its plans for super weapons and goes on the offensive against the Mysterians (who've shacked up in Japan even before they got official permission from them ).

If military technology can catch up with the aliens so quickly as in this movie, we won't have any problems. In reality from what I understand, we're not even near parity.

Special effects are good, and weapons looks cool (Designed by famous Japanese sci-fi artist Shigeru Komatsuzaki. They have kind of a retro look which still works today) which all adds up to make this movie one of Toho's best.

It's one of a kind movie, and highly recommended to watch.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ifukube's score is the most action packed score ever.
Horror Fan14 February 1999
The Japanese tape begins with an overture. The music with the overture is the greatest film score ever written by Akira Ifukube. So this film concerns hooded aliens who come to Earth with plans to capture and have sex with Earth women. So they release a huge bird-like robot named Mogera (it later returned renovated in Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla) to prove they mean buisness. The army manages to defeat it by booby trapping the bridge and blowing it up while the monster is using it. Then the battle for the cosmos begins with the Mysterians and their ray firing ships and the humans and their markalite lasers. This is another film I believe inspired the film Independence Day. It's certainly the most colorful of any of the fifties invasion flicks. A must. Eiji Tsuburaya also did an exellent job with his marvelous miniatures and special effects.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most fun you'll have watching a Japanese monster movie.
Glenn Andreiev28 November 1998
For the first fifteen minutes of "Chikyu Boeigun" (known in USA as "The Mysterians"), nothing happens. Scientist poking around a forest fire site comes face to face with a giant, metallic bird like monster. Then this film takes off, becoming more and more exciting. After the monster ravishes a village, the military kills it. We discover it's from the planet Mysteriod, and citizens of that planet are setting up a base here on Earth. The rest of the film concerns the battles betwen the Earth and The Mysterians. A bunch of Inoshira Honda's touches abound. There's a doomed hero (Ahikio Hirata) literally going on a kamikaze mission through the alien base, the plea for all nations to drop their petty squabbles and join forces to save the Earth, and wall to wall giant monster/spaceship excitement. Musician Akira Ifukube's score is militaristic, throbbing, and perfect. While "Gojira" is the best Japanese sci-fi classic, "The Mysterians", a candy coated treat is a close second, being the most fun.

Trivia note: Musician Akira Ifukube invented the famous Godzilla roar.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best alien invasion films ever made
LJ2719 March 2005
Many have seen this 1957 space invasion film in poorly-dubbed, panned and scanned TV versions, but if you have not seen the uncut Japanese version, in letterboxed format you have not really seen THE MYSTERIANS. Until I finally saw the uncut version, a lot of things were not very clear but MGM or someone snipped several little moments back in 1959 for U.S. release. Also, full-frame versions cheat you out of a lot of the picture as the film was framed for TohoScope (and this film was the first widescreen Japanese film). The landslide scene is much better in widescreen as is the scene where Mogera first comes out of the side of the mountain. This scene actually achieves some suspense as the soldiers flee from Mogera only to have their jeep melted. The flooding scene never made any sense in the pan and scan version. I thought a dam had broken and I missed it. The widescreen version makes it clear what is happening. Also, there is a brief appearance of a second Mogera near the end of the film comically being fouled by a Markalite falling on it as it attempts to surface. The effects are just as good as anything that the Americans were doing at the time, with excellent matte paintings and miniatures. Akira Ifukube's score sounds much better than it did in earlier versions and is one of his finest scores. Soon, we will be seeing Spielberg's $200 million alien invasion film, WAR OF THE WORLDS and it should be cool, complete with ILM effects, a John Williams score and Tom Cruise but it will never top this masterpiece for sheer fun. Seeing the MYSTERIANS again is like seeing an old friend again, looking better than ever.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Invasion Flick From Toho
Brian Washington28 April 2005
This is a pretty decent invasion film. This time around, Honda seems to have been inspired by the films "War of the Worlds" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and does a good job in conveying a lot of themes that pretty much permeate a lot of his films, fear of nuclear war and the world unifying for a common cause. Also, Akihiko pretty much built on his portrayal of the tragic hero that sacrifices himself at the end to save humanity and did his usual good job.

The only complaint I have about the film is the fact that the appearance of Moguera takes place too early in the film and his destruction is much too early. They do return him to the end, but I would have preferred to see him as the weapon of last resort that the aliens use to try to deliver the crushing blow. Other than that, this is a pretty good movie.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Like an Amazing Stories cover brought to life
fertilecelluloid3 October 2006
Although "Matango" is my favorite Japanese sci-fi film and my favorite Ishiro Honda feature, this flick, "The Mysterians", is still a pretty remarkable piece of sci-fi fluff from the Land of the Rising Sun. It is incredibly predictable and almost totally devoid of characterization, but its fantasy elements are terrifically inventive, its color schemes are out of this world, and its production values are high. Beings from Mysteria, a dead planet, arrive on Earth intent on taking over. To their credit, they also want a half dozen gorgeous Japanese women for mating purposes. Who can blame them? They make their presence known initially by sending a Big Bird-like robot on the rampage in the mountains outside Tokyo. They then release a fleet of flying saucers and finally establish a base to which Japan's most brilliant scientists are lured. When the color-coded Mysterians, who look like regular Japanese civilians under their helmets,demand the pretty women, the powers that be declare war and non-stop combat ensues right up 'til the closing credits. There is a charm and innocence to this rather unscientific science fiction opera, but it brilliantly captures the spirit of the old Amazing Stories covers and possesses that infectious "sense of wonder" the late Cinefantastique publisher, Frederick S. Clark, described as being essential to the best fantasy cinema. The Toho special effects department do a grand job with their miniatures and space sequences and they imbue a spectacular flood scene with a scary sense of realism.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A rousing science fiction film.
kelsci12 July 1999
I saw this film in Tohoscope in 1958 or 1959 in Jamaica,N.Y. The "star" of the movie is its excellent storyline. You might say that this film is a Japanese version of "War of the Worlds". The film with its technological weapons and style has a resemblance to the James Bond films that would come a few years later. My nickname above is actually a tribute to those films that featured such fabulous superweapons. The battle between the mysterians' Helicons and the Earth's Marcolights are first rate. Also quite neat are the two flying airships deployed against the Mysterians by the Earth forces.

I believe this was Toho's studios' best film made. Those who may think this film is too antiquated by the standards of special effects that have developed since "200l" and Lucasfilms should still try to view this film if they have never seen it.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Monsterpiece
lordzedd-310 February 2007
I am a big Ishiro Honda fan, may be rest in piece and the Mysterians show you why. Mogera is a great monster, a little on the bulky side. But still a cool robot monster. The only thing I don't get is what's up with the big multi-colored helmet. Did they need them to breath or what? Plus, what's the multi-colors for, is a sign of rank or what? But the story is sound but does drag on at points. What I respect more then anything else about Japanese especially about Japanese filmmakers like Ishiro Honda is the attention to detail they place in a film. I mean, the Mysterian ship has detailed blueprints, I doubt many other filmmakers around the world go to that much trouble. I always say no matter how much a movie doesn't work, I respect when they try their best. The Mysterians do more then just try, they succeed in many parts of the story and effects. A must have for Ishiro Honda fans and 7 big STARS.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Science Fiction Film Most Worthy of a Remake
Bob-4529 March 2005
How many American science fiction movies have conceived of survivors of the lost 10th planet (source of the asteroid belt) occupying a small chunk of territory before being attacked? NONE! Although "The Mysterians" uses some logical lapses to make the invaders clearly the bad guys (just WHY did they send the giant robot BEFORE attempting peaceful coexistance) and progresses WAY too quickly to its rousing finale (the world had these plans for superweapons just laying around), "The Mysterians" is an exciting, entertaining addition to any one's collection of "space invader movies." Well photographed, beautifully scored, decently executed (for the 50s) special effects" and freshly conceived, "The Mysterians" is better, in many ways than later films such as "Independance Day" and "V". Too bad Toho didn't make it longer and make a sequel (though it appears, that's what "Battle in Outer Space" was originally supposed to be.) See it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cool-looking Aliens.
OllieSuave-00719 June 2001
This is one of the earlier sci-fi movies from Toho studios. Respectable Toho actors and actresses are in this movie including Kenji Sahara, Yumi Shirakawa, Momoko Kochi, Akihiko Hirata, and Takashi Shimura-all actors that appeared in the original Godzilla and Rodan movies. This story involves a group of cool looking aliens called the Mysterians, who want to possess a huge chuck of land in Japan and marry Earth women. The suspense builds when the Earth people resists the Mysterians' demands, which results in a battle for Earth action. Just to note, the actor playing the Leader of the Mysterians was Yoshio Tsuchiya. He also played the Vapor Man in 'The Human Vapor,' Controller of Planet X in 'Godzilla vs. Monster Zero,' and Businessman Shindo in 'Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.'

Eiji Tsuburaya's advanced special effects highlighted a spectacular battle of fire, lasers, rockets, tanks and flying saucers between the humans and space aliens. A slow and mysterious, but sometimes militaristic and moving music score by Akira Ifukube. A dramatic and somber story by Takeshi Kimura. Directing was once again done by the great Ishiro Honda.

The downside, though, was that the story lacked a solid plot and the female leads weren't emphasized enough. There were too many scenes that depicted meetings held by the officials, discussing what to do about the aliens. These meetings were important in a way, but kind of boring. And, the robot monster, Moguera, was a terrific-looking monster, but wasn't utilized enough. But overall, a pretty cool feature for a sci-fi film made in the 1950s.

Grade B
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An excellent and enjoyable Japanese science fiction alien invasion winner
Woodyanders27 November 2007
A rural town gets completely destroyed. The military investigates and discovers a giant bird-like robot that levels everything in its lethal path. The robot belongs to the Mysterians, an alien race who want a piece of land and human women to mate with. The military refuses to comply with the aliens' requests and declares all-out war on the Mysterians. Director Ishiro Honda, working from a compelling script by Takeshi Kimura, relates the engrossing story in a pleasingly straightforward and unpretentious manner. Moreover, Honda does a fine job of maintaining a steady pace and effectively creates a serious tone. The thrilling action set pieces and impressively prodigious sequences of mass destruction really hit the stirring spot. Akira Ifakube's robust, rousing, full-bore orchestral score, Hajime Koizuma's vibrant, expansive cinematography, and the nifty special effects are all likewise solid. The cast all contribute sound and credible performances, with especially praiseworthy work by Akihiko Hirata as diligent tragic hero Ryoichi Shiraishi and Takashi Shimura as the wise scientist Dr. Tanjiro Adachi. Essential viewing for fans of Japanese science fiction.
Finally On DVD!! If You Love The Genre, You'll Love This
Bob12 March 2005
Brilliant re-mastering of a childhood favorite. All of the painstaking detail of the original miniature work can once again be clearly seen, especially if you have a digital-ready TV. Gone are the days of the lousy prints, garbled sound track, and comical dubbing!! Even the models -- the flying saucers, planes, tanks, the dome -- as well as the "big kahuna" himself (i.e. Mogera) come across as more vivid and life-like than ever. Watching it took me back 45 years, glued to my seat today just as it was when I saw it in theatrical release in my adolescence. Akira Ifukube's stirring score, which stands alone quite well as an orchestral piece, has been brilliantly restored (in Dolby 5.1 no less). It sounds wonderful. The English dubbing is entirely new, but to be honest, I found it nearly as inane, but not so nearly endearing, as the original. The dubbing of the early Toho Sci-Fi flicks was so bad it was great, and was in fact one of the things that attracted many (myself included) to the genre. Not so here. I ended up watching it in the original Japanese, with English subtitles. Much better. This release contains all of scenes that were cut from the original U.S. release -- such as, the second Mogera getting clobbered by a falling Markalite as it attempts to emerge from underground. Like I said, if you love the genre, you're gonna love this!!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Colourful, toy-like sci-fi romp although occasionally draggy
DrLenera5 March 2005
Although best known for their Godzilla series, Japan's Toho Studios made many other sci fi and fantasy films. This was the first of many that would be about aliens from another world invading Earth {that idea would be later incorporated into quite a few Godzilla films}. It's dated in some respects but still pretty good fun and must have seemed quite impressive at the time of it's western release. Before that the only major film that dealt with alien invasion on a "full scale,open war" kind of level was The War Of The Worlds, and The Mysterians attempts even more, if not quite succeeding, in the way of spectacle.

The first half hour is terrific, the characters are briefly introduced, strange things happen and a large bird-like robot goes on the rampage in Godzilla fashion. After this,things go downhill a little bit, too much time is taken up with meetings and the lengthy battle scenes between the aliens and the humans are a bit static and go on a little too long. Nevertherless there is a charming toy-like nature to these scenes, as various futuristic weapons are employed against the invaders.

Special effects are occasionally poor {watch out for the awful superimposed explosions} but generally better than most Hollywood sci fi films of the time. Filmed in very garish colour {which particularly highlights the alien's costumes} and with a tremendous main march theme by Akira Ifikube, the Mysterians has it's dull bits, but is still worth watching for some childish fun. Toho would perfect the alien invasion idea two years later with the incredible Battle In Outer Space.
Kaiju Auteur
flapdoodle6426 April 2010
This has some of the highest production values, some of the best FX sequences, the best musical scoring and some of the best acting to be seen in any Kaiju film. Personally, I rate this as 3rd or 4th all-time best in the Kaiju genre, behind such uber-classics as Godzilla, Invasion of the Astro-Monster, and War of the Gargantuas.

Ishiro Honda was the greatest auteur of Kaiju. He was not only the D.W. Griffith of that genre, he was also the Orson Welles. His Kaiju films can be put into 3 rough categories: earnest (i.e. Godzilla, War of the Gargantuas); surreal (Mushroom People); and camp (Invasion of the Astro Monster).

This film is mostly in the earnest category, but the sequence with the long tailed mechanical monster hints at Honda's immanent surreal and camp tendencies.

Anyhow, this is definitely a very well-made Kaiju, but it is a little slow in some places and the whole strategy of the Mysterians for conquering Earth has some serious flaws. Nonetheless, the idea of alien invaders occupying Japanese territory and and seeking total domination, not to mention the aliens' designs on the local women, is interesting. And surely this storyline must reflect Honda's attitudes toward the American occupation forces which still were maintaining high visibility in Japan in this period.

It is my understanding that this film was originally released in Cinemascope or the equivalent, and it really would have been a gas to see it on the big screen that way. The battles between the Earth forces in their strange slow-moving aerial battleships and the Mysterians' ray weapons, in glorious color and with the orchestra playing in full stereo, must have been a kick.

Of less interest is the fact that the aliens in this film seem to be the direct inspiration for a dreadful yet popular 1990's children's TV show, the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

All told, this movie is still a lot more interesting and fun than most of the scifi summer blockbusters nowadays, especially the crap with Will Smith or Tom Cruise.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
some punch left in this old kick
llgbiz23 March 2005
I saw this movie in the theater when I just a kid. I remember because I sat through it twice,you could in those days. The "Mysterians", as it was called here in the United States is classic Japanese science fiction. If you're a lover of classic science fiction you're going to love this movie. If you consider when this movie was made you'll find the special effects interesting. The story is a gas, "we only want a little of your land and all of your women". The print is surprisingly good but the original English voice track has been replaced by a new voice track which gives the film an odd feel. One of the joys of watching these old Japanese science fiction movies are the voice tracks, some of which I believe included the great Paul Freese. Never the less it was great to see this old film again. If you saw this movie when you were a kid you'll enjoy seeing it again. If for no other reason than that of nostalgia.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dumb - loads of fun
Matti-Man8 March 2006
Just saw the subbed, widescreen version of this Nipponese classic from 1957. OK, there was no characterisation to speak of. The "hero" and his professor mentor (played by Takashi Shimura, leader of the samurai in SEVEN SAMURAI, by the way) are just cardboard cut-outs serving the relentless, by-the-numbers plot. But the real star of this is the quaint-as-all-get-out vintage special effects.

The Toho spfx team were the best. Take a good look at the miniature work in the spectacular flooding scene. This is way better than similar miniature flooding scenes in the far bigger budgeted and later SUPERMAN THE MOVIE (1978), one of the last films to use traditional miniature work.

But you just got to love these Mysterians in their elegant colour-coded costumes, and the great design of the alien burrowing machine engine room.

So ... not a great deal of sense but a real visual treat. Switch off your brain, sit back and enjoy this madcap, popcorn fest for what it is. Fab, gear and groovy entertainment.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The Mysterians" is a great film!
Atragon22 December 1998
This is my favorite movie bar none. It has all of the elements that make a great film. It has excellent music, tremendous acting performances, good directing, and awesome visual effects. Best of all, it's not one of those four-hour pretentious all-the-critics-like-it-so-you-must-like-it pictures. See "The Mysterians"!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What's not to like?
topeka15 January 2017
The Mysterians is a corny, cheesy, Japanese sci-fi flick for kids from nine to ninety.

Once you've got your head around that, it's a wonderful and delightful entry in this genre. Coming from 1957, it's remarkable.

Colorful sets. Neon is used extensively to make the screens explode in color. Cool alien costumes. Shocking full saturation color. Ufo's everywhere. Landscape models are destroyed by fire, floods, and a robot.

The film opens with a large set piece featuring a village celebration. The numerous shots with hundreds of extras is expertly interlaced with the models of towns, and plenty of plastic models getting the whammy from the alien's death rays.

Scientists are the heroes who think up the super weapon that saves the day, but soldiers bravely fight the aliens with useless weapons.

Oh, the Mysterians came to Earth because their planet - Mysteroid - was destroyed 100,000 years ago by nuclear war. Mysteroid is our asteroid belt. A few Mysterians survived by moving to Mars, but they are contaminated with Strontium 90. (Never mind the half life is about 29 years.) Now the aliens have to have Earth Women to replenish the stock.

The Earthmen fight back with weapons delivered by giant flying rockets foreshadowing Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds.

This film is totally cool, and safe for the whole family at the same time.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The First Toho Outer Space Film
Johnnycitystar12 November 2007
For Years The Mysterians has made a name for being one of the first outer space science fiction films in japan.At the time it was a popular film due to it's Amazing special effects,straight-forward plot that is interesting,Great music and Aliens.Though this film is not perfect it has it's flaws It's lack of character development,The Acting is a mixed bag and a rough pacing that somewhat downs this amazing film.

It begins at a festival with the main characters Atsumi and Shiraishi(Kenji Sahara & Ahikiko Hirata) and their girlfriends until they see a forest fire Shiraishi goes into the forest fire but is undiscovered the next day.The Next Day Atsumi gets a phone call about a tremor destroying a village.he goes and checks it out during his search he sees a landslide and something coming out a giant robot that starts attacking anything it sees it's defeated when it reaches a bridge since it was planted with explosives.days later A dome appears out of nowhere it is a alien base the aliens are called Mysterians who are on earth for at least two miles of land and five earth woman and one of them are Atsumi's girlfriend Atsumi and The Japanese government disagree with this offer so they decide to attack the mysterians with force.

soon enough Atsumi finds out Shiraishi has joined the Mysterians because of their advance technology and Science.Shiraishi warns Atsumi that attacking the Mtysterians is not smart and earth should join the mysterians.The Army Attacks but don't even put a dent on there dome and come with other ideas.Soon Enough The Mysterians kidnap Atsumi's Girlfriend ans Atsumi has no choice but save her so he finds a secret entrance to enter The dome.while in the Dome Shiraishi Helps atsumi destroy the Mysterians because The Mysterians were using him to takeover the earth.So Shiraishi tries to destroy the base and the Army using Heat Rays to destroy the Dome.The mysterians are defeated and they fly back into space.

The Plot is very Straight-forward and that how most Science-fiction films were back in the day no changing or surprising plot just straight forward.About The Mysterians the plans to defeat them and etc.

As for Special effects there are some of the best I've seen in a toho film from The Alien robot to the scene where the army soldier uses the flamethrower on the robot to the army battle between the Mysterians is excellent as well.To the inside of the dome with all the gadgets and weird technology.everything is good for the special effects.

As for Character Development it's very flat and Weak.there are no develop characters that stand-out except Shiraishi who sides with the Mysterians then Betrays them for the good of the earth.Atsumi played by Kenji Sahara is a straight-forward hero no development at all.as for everyone else the same as well there are no developed characters.

As for the Acting It's a mixed bag at times no one gets into their roles or have fun with it.Kenji Sahara gives a bland performance as Atsumi as he is out of place with his role and really isn't in to it and really needs to master his craft.Takeshi Shimura Gives without a doubt the best performance of the lot even though at times lacks the energy and feels uninspired.Same goes to Akikiko Hirata at times he's emotionless and uninspired and dosen't get into his roles.really there are no memorable performances at all.

But what Kills this film is the Pacing it feels so long with the long speeches and the planning of how to defeat the Mysterians is boring.

Overall It's A solid film with good special effect and is enjoyable.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The defining moment for Japanese scifi
darthsmythe11383 June 2007
The Mysterians defined Toho scifi. If you watch this movie, you will notice a shocking similarity between Star Wars(1977) and this film. The Special effects are quite good. The only complaint I have is MOGERA's suit is a bit wobbly at times. The miniatures and sets, and matte shots are good. The score by Akira Ifukube is riveting. He composes many famous themes here. Some of which appear in 1991's Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. He even makes some stirring themes. I really like the direction and acting here. Ishiro Honda's favorite theme, the brotherhood of mankind, makes an appearance here. My favorite performance is that of the Mysterian leader. An actor from the classic Kurosawa film The Seven Samurai appears here.

I love this movie. Recommended.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Imaginative 'alien invasion' story
JLRVancouver22 February 2018
Earth has been invaded by duplicitous aliens and all nations must band together to protect our world (and our women)! "The Mysterians" is an excellent example of the creative and entertaining tokusatsu produced by Toho studios in the 1960's. Directed by kaiju perennial Ishiro Honda, with special effects by Eiji Tsuburaya and music by Akira Ifukube, the film has a similar look and sound to early Godzilla movies (especially those featuring conniving aliens). The special effects are a mixed bag: the miniatures are excellent (as usual), as are the 'battle scenes' and some of the more exotic sets (the inside of the Mysterians' underground base for example), but most of the optical effects are less effective (you can see through the tanks in some of the battle scenes). As "Godzilla" (1954) had demonstrated the popularity of giant monsters, a huge bird-like mecha (the "Moguera") puts in a brief appearance early in the invasion (belying the Mysterians' later protestations of being a 'peace-loving' people). The suit-mated robot is pretty well done, as is the battle between it and the JDF. I watched a reasonably well dubbed English version of the film, but the acting seemed typical of the genre - fine, but not in particularly demanding roles. All in all, the movie is an entertaining, colourful, and imaginative science-fiction adventure with a charm than is missing (IMO) from the current generation of CGI-based films. Followed by "Battle in Outer Space" (1959), another entertaining Toho space-yarn with similar aesthetics.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The End of the Cold War
bkoganbing23 August 2016
When Godzilla with its American scenes with Raymond Burr made it to the USA it started a run of Japanese science fiction that lasted well over a decade. When I was a lad I well remember the TV commercials for this film and how I just had to go see it.

60 years later The Mysterians holds up rather well. A group of aliens arrive and demand a small tract of land for use. We have to grant it because these folks are way technologically superior to us earthlings. But when a big robot starts doing to Japan what live monsters usually do it's time to resist.

What I remember best from this was the rather quick end the USA and the USSR terminate the Cold War to fight these aliens. They also start researching and move quickly up the scale in weaponry.

They are a mysterious group these Mysterians. We never do see their faces.

It's always been a pet theory of mine that a lot of cultural differences will melt rather quickly if earth ever did face an alien invasion. The Mysterians is one of those few films that support that thesis.

I wish they'd show this thing. Back in my younger days after its theatrical release it was constantly on local TV in New York City.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Alien invasion from Toho Studios
vtcavuoto20 February 2009
I haven't seen this movie since I was 7 years old and have always wanted to see it again. I was not disappointed when I purchased it and saw it. "The Mysterians" is a very good alien invasion film. Aliens from beyond the moon want a small piece of land to live while breeding with Japanese women. There is non-stop action and the battle scenes are impressive. The DVD I have is recently re-dubbed and the audio is crisp and sharp as well as the video. Good acting, music score and dubbing(although one Japanese bicyclist has a southern accent!). I would suggest this film to all Sci-Fi fans. A well done film from the 1950s(in color too!).
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this