Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953) Poster

Brings its own popcorn.
sothisislife22 June 2005
If you do not have the time or money to travel back to 1953 to spend a French holiday, you might as well just watch M. Hulot's Holiday. Honestly holidays are stressful and barely ever as good as you want them to be anyway, while this movie was much more than I expected it to be.

The humor in the film is warm, never condescending or patronizing to the characters. There is always the sense of fun. The movie really sells itself to me by not making Mr. Hulot a buffoon alone in the crowd. Circumstance and happening reveals everyone to be capable of situational humor, the accidents of the movie are shared with a laugh.

It is an observational movie, and the majority of the humor is not forced, neither upon us nor upon the movie itself. It merely shows how people can get involved in each others' lives, how funny the average day can be. It is like attending a family reunion, really. The camera does not stick itself to Mr. Hulot, but goes anywhere for a laugh. If a small boy is doing something funny, the camera will be there to capture it all, and then leave the boy. This would make another film feel large, but because there is no story to the film, because there is no main character to feel especially attached to, it always feels personal, it always feel like you are seeing something nobody else is.

Perhaps the best part is that the film sticks with you for days afterward, and soon Mr. Hulot's Holiday shows its real genius, as you start noticing similar things happening around you.
65 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious, influential, plot less, wonderful
curtis martin10 October 2004
"Mr. Hulot's Holiday" is a terrific comedy. But be warned, it is also deliberately paced, almost lacking in dialog, and absolutely plot less. In order for you to enjoy this film, you must not wait for the "story" to begin--there is not one. In fact, the film is not much more than a series of sight gags held together by a single set of characters and a single locale--but as such, it is brilliant.

Director/Star Tati's work in the Hulot films was an obvious influence on the solo films of Jerry Lewis a decade later. It is amazing that the French purportedly think Lewis a genius when in fact his best films (such as "The Bellboy," "The Ladies Man," "The Errand Boy," etc) borrow from the Tati style to the point of plagiarism.

Well, the original is better, and you don't have to endure the constant mugging.
31 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amusing and lively movie with enjoyable humor
ma-cortes5 July 2005
The picture deals with Mister Hulot going to a holiday resort where he accidentally originates destruction and disaster . The movie is plentiful of original sketches . From the beginning to the end the good humor and bland comedy are continued . The film blends tongue-in-cheek , irony , giggles , joy , jokes , social critical and is pretty bemusing and entertaining .

In spite of runtime is overlong , the run is two hours and some , isn't boring neither tiring but funny . The gentle humor developed in the film is clever and thoughtful and the comic numbers vary between slapstick and surrealist . The argument is plain and simple though is only set in a hotel and beach isn't dreary . Jacques Tati is extraordinary as Mister Hulot , character he'll repeat in a sequel : ¨My uncle¨ . Direction and interpretation by Jacques Tati is magnificent and excellent . Alain Romain's score ( habitual musician of Tati ) is agreeable and cheerful . The motion picture received awesome reviews and deserves the complete knowledge because there are amount chuckles and entertainment . The picture is nowadays considered a European cult film .
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much More Than Simple Slapstick
Lex-1329 July 2004
It's probably easy to see this as just a relatively late occurrence of classic slapstick. In fact, the slapstick dimension is quite masterful. But there's a lot more to this movie than the comedic value of seeing someone get kicked. Part of the charm comes from the structure of the movie. Instead of a linear narrative or a series of sketches, it's a multi-dimensional portrait of different aspects of human nature. The "point" of the movie, if there is one (there's more likely a large array of "points" in this apparently simple comedy), isn't put out ostentatiously throughout the film. For instance, if Tati intended to admonish people to have some fun in life, it's not by showing how Hulot's having fun but by showing the respect fun may have with some people. There's also the purely aesthetic pleasure derived from a well-crafted movie. This one's fluid enough that nothing appears superfluous, from sun rays passing between drapes to one of Hulot's "accidental" gestures. Of course, there's a nostalgic value in watching such a movie. Not for 1950s France but for another era, however long ago, when insouciance might have been acceptable.
39 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Absolute Hoot 10/10
maryfisk5 March 2004
A French classic every bit as funny as "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

Except for missing the wonderfully amusing sound effects, this nearly silent film could be viewed with the sound on mute. Its plethora of homages to the great films of the silent era, meticulously executed slapstick and sight gags make me grin, smile broadly and laugh out loud every time I watch this Gallic masterpiece.

On a visual level alone, this movie works. Kids too young to understand anything about how movies are supposed to work laugh at the kayak, the fireworks, the tennis, at M. Hulot's gawky awkwardness, etc, etc.

It takes a bit more maturity, or perhaps immersion in Gallic sensibilities, to get all the underlying humor.

Whereas Monty Python takes more obvious pokes at the French, Tati's Hulot takes subtle swipes at the Brits and the Americans. It's 1953. The English speaking world has saved France from the Germans, but the French are losing the cultural battle not only to their liberator's language, but to their mechanized world. Hulot, the old French owl (note Tati's birdlike mannerisms), has become the awkward outsider in his own seaside resort. In that context, much of what might appear disjointed, takes on an appealing continuity. Ferreting it all out is like peeling an onion, layer by layer. Each viewing finds something new.

A film which improves with age and frequent viewing.
63 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gorgeous
zetes24 July 2001
Tati is simply one of the foremost artists of the cinema. I wish I had discovered him sooner. M. Hulot's Holiday was the second feature film he directed after Jour de fete (unavailable in America at the present time). It was also the first of the Hulot series, introducing us to one of the best and most endearing characters cinephiles are ever likely to meet: M. Hulot.

However, no matter how endearing Hulot is, make sure you don't come into a film like M. Hulot's Holiday expecting a laugh riot. This particular film is not (although Mon Oncle, if you're perceptive enough, is). The comedy here, although there are some hilarious moments, puts most of its trust in slow build-ups and extraordinary cleverness. This film is an attempt to make comedy beautiful, and it succeeds oh so well. You will love all the characters, and, as the week draws to a close, you may feel sad. Although at this point I like Mon Oncle more than M. Hulot's Holiday (I have seen Mon Oncle 3 times and Holiday only once), this one is still a masterpiece, of mood if not for anything else. 10/10.
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All summers used to be like this
Rob Falconer8 April 2003
It doesn't matter if you're British, not French : all the holidays of our childhoods were like this. Clear, unbroken skies, relatively empty beaches, chaos at the railway station, half the people acting strangely, the other half unyieldingly the same. There are two points where I laughed uncontrollably for several minutes, and that's more than in most films these days ! The rest is beautifully observed and more quietly funny, although Tati's use of sound can get a little irritating. And, yes, there were a number of versions of the film as Tati added bits over the years : for instance, the 'Jaws' sequence was added after Spielberg's film was released.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funniest movie of all time
Bob Pr.15 October 1999
"Monsieur Hulot's Holiday" (literally "The Vacation of M. Hulot")

For me, one sign of a great movie is when scenes are so unforgettable that they replay again and again in my mind. By that standard, "M. Hulot's Holiday" is the funniest movie of all time.

I saw this movie soon after it first appeared in the USA (1953) and thought at the time it would become a classic. Since then, the projector in my mind has replayed so many scenes so often that in the replaying it's grown even more hilarious. From time to time, when I see it again, each time I realize that -- as funny as the original is -- it has that rare quality of planting seeds that grow and blossom in my memory even more. Looking for the end on a tangled garden hose always replays M. Hulot's experience with the garden sprinkler.

There is very little plot beyond 'what I did on my summer vacation' -- but there doesn't need to be. Throughout the movie from time to time we see an elderly couple who stroll, observing the follies, eccentricities, normalities, of the behaviors of people on their summer vacations. This film's perspective is that we are similar to them, strolling, observing -- and as if the film's opening and close coincide with the beginning and end of the traditional French August vacation.

I've also seen Jacque Tati's "Mon Oncle" several times; while it's good, to me it's several magnitudes lower than 'Holiday.' I look forward to seeing "Playtime" with the sure knowledge that nothing can top "M. Hulot's Holiday." But as with all humor, different folk like different flavors.

This film's flavor is generally slightly dry with a few wet spots. Tati as director observes the usual, the commonplace, the well- meaning and then tweaks it just enough to either make you smile in self- recognition or sometimes snort milk out your nose. His Monsiuer Hulot is a gentle, chivalrous soul, always trying to be helpful although he inadvertently sows occasional chaos in his wake, as if "letting no good deed go unpunished." He's obviously a cousin of Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin.

ETA: I've just read Roger Ebert's review of "M. Hulot's Holiday"; it is superb and I recommend it to all:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/ apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19961110/REVIEWS08/ 401010328/1023 (REMOVE THE 2 SPACES)

The "Criterion" DVD version restores many portions that had previously been edited out and is by far the best version to see.

Enjoy.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Enjoyable Throwback
Snow Leopard21 July 2005
Jacques Tati's first Monsieur Hulot feature is an enjoyable throwback to the days of silent comedy, with plenty of Tati's own style thrown in as well. The series of vignettes passes by at a well-timed pace, and for all that there is little in terms of plot development, it's not long at all before you feel as if you know not just Hulot but the other characters as well.

The vacation setting makes for a pleasant, leisurely atmosphere that makes a nice setting for Hulot and the others. Each scene has plenty of good-natured humor, and most of them also contain some amusing details that are hard to catch the first time you see it, making it well worth re-watching.

The opening sequences are easy to identify with, for all that the story occurs in another time and place, since some of the numerous snags faced by the vacationers are common experiences. Then, from the time that Hulot leaves the door open as he enters, there is a non-stop stream of good comic material that highlights Tati's own character.

By keeping the dialogue to a minimum, it emphasizes the visual gags (with occasional sound effects), some of which are also amusing yet wordless comments on human nature. Tati's style would have worked very well in silent comedy, yet he also has his own character, not an imitation of Keaton or of Chaplin or of anyone else. He made even better use of the character in "Mon Oncle", but this one well deserves to be remembered and enjoyed as well.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Invincible Innocence
skallisjr26 April 2005
This one is in a class by itself. A "silent" talkie (yes; there's Ray Milland's The Thief, but that was contrived) with no discernible plot.

M. Hulot arrives at a modest vacation resort and becomes involved in all sorts of activities one usually finds in such places. But Hulot is an innocent, in the Medieval idea of innocence, and thus remains unaware of the havoc he may create.

Possible minor spoilers.

At one point, Hulot is invited to play tennis. He's shown a tennis racquet, which he apparently has never handled before. He notices a movement someone makes to display the racquet, and his innocence, thinks it's part of the way one handles the sports implement. He even carries this over later to table tennis! Later, at the beach, Hulot is trying to hide, but the taffy on a taffy stretcher makes him break cover periodically to save the unattended candy from falling to the sand. This is something the audience can sympathize with while laughing at the Gallic frugality of it all.

Most who have seen the film once will likely want to relive the vacation. One could do far worse than to do so.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic Humour
davidholmesfr1 January 2003
The measure of a good film, like a good painting, book or any other work of art, is its ability to draw you back time after time. I first saw M Hulot's Holiday more years ago than I care to remember and loved it immediately. The humour is gentle (it's not a laugh-a-minute riot) with superbly crafted scenes such as a tyre's inner tube transforming into a wreath interposed between the on-going observational humour as portrayed by the strolling husband and wife.

Seeing it again for the umpteenth time it's as fresh as the first time I saw it. In fact having lived in France for the best part of two years it appears even funnier now that it did before, something which, no doubt, reflects my own observations of the French way of life.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jacques Tati's Comedy Milestone
Mark Hale23 July 2006
"M. Hulot's Holiday" is one of those films that you either get or you don't. Jacques Tati was a fine physical comedian, in the same rank as Buster Keaton, and his Hulot character is perfect. If you like your comedy silent and beautifully observed, you will enjoy this film.

Watching M. Hulot play tennis creases me up every time I see it. The character's whole physical demeanour indicates that he is not wired up in the same way as other humans, even when he is standing still. You could put this oddball in any normal situation and expect him to raise a smirk.

Tati does not carry the whole film and there is enough gentle comedy from the other characters for you not to get bored with his silent shtick. M. Hulot does not overstay his welcome.

I guarantee that you will be humming the theme music for days afterwards. You won't have picked up any catchphrases from its eponymous star turn but it's an enjoyable, thoroughly French movie. If Steve Martin ever tries to remake it, he deserves to be shot.
The basis of most variety show sketches 1n 50/60/70
johnmobrooks3 April 2005
A fine very original comedy film. Although made in 1949 it does not date. Only the colour of the film and the age of the cameras used giveaway the movie's age. Simply it is the story of a French chap who goes to a very small seaside resort on holiday. It is not a simple film however. Clever, Charming and beautifully crafted it has to be the jewel in the cinematic comedy crown of France. It is very very funny. This film was plagiarised for many of the 50/60/70's Variety Sketch programs on British TV. Benny Hill and Arthur Haines programme content owe much to scenic gems in this wonderful film. No need for subtitles here though. It starts where Laurel and Hardy left off. Slapstick without the slap and definitely no stick. Gentle, but so many hearty laugh generating situations. I have to admit to seeing it in a London in the early 60's and being told to shush by my fellow audience, I laughed rather too loudly. The sequences are lovingly put together. Mr Hulots tennis lesson from the lady who sold him the racket and which provided an unlikely winning streak is unique. The humorous build up of the Funeral scenes is masterful. Characters, from the gangling Mr Hulot himself, the waiter in the hotel to the English couple going on their nightly constitutional and many other fine performances (by amateurs I believe) add to the films magic. Hotel guests sitting around and listening to the radio and the Hotel Manager investigating who is guilty of not wiping their wet feet on the doormat may seem dull on paper. They are anything but dull when seen in this classic film It is one of those movies that (Thanks to the wonder of DVD) when your mood is melancholy, put on, select a scene, any scene, sit back and laugh your troubles away.
Tati leads..all others follow
Ann-Marie Foster16 January 2005
I remember first watching this film and taking some time to get into it – no dialogue; quirky, catchy music and this totally odd character played by Jaques Tati who bumbled around causing comic disasters in his wake. It was only later that I realised that so many comics in the decades to follow had learnt and copied so much from Tati. Being from Ireland, I'm not an expert on US comics but in the UK, there have been so many whose influences are obviously wrapped up in this great genius from France – from slapstick to surreal, his films are a blueprint for so many other characters immortalised by more familiar names. And no dialogue is a joy – it allows you to concentrate on the actions of the players, the framing of the shots, the sets and the fabulous sounds of the film. Sheer brilliance. Start with this and work through his other films – all will become clear.
Introducing M. Hulot
harry-7613 April 1999
Who can forget M. Hulot, with his pipe in mouth, mannered walk, and aura of innocence? Funny things seem to happen around him, not that he particularly causes them. In fact, he's just a detached observer with a curious bent. With "M. Hulot's Holiday," viewers were treated to their first encounter with this delightful chap, and a nice meeting it was. Then came "Mon Oncle," a genuine masterwork in which Hulot comes to grips with modern gadgetry on the smarter side of town, contrasted to the older quarter which has sort of gone to the dogs. With "Playtime," Hulot found himself in an unrecognizable Paris, full of shiny glass, steel, tvs, cars, and assorted symbols of the affluent society, climaxed by a sheik supper club which slowly comes apart at its seams. It's all part of "The Hulot Trilogy," a monumental work by that sublime film craftsman, Jacques Tati. As potent and side-splitting today as when first made, Tati's trilogy is an astute commentary on modern society. He seems to be saying, "Hey, folks, slow down, what's the rush and what's the point--there's more to life than status, fads, trends, flash and glitter. Let's be more natural, more relaxed, more caring." Technically impressive at the outset to downright dazzling as the trilogy progresses, Tati created a milestone in cinematic humor with this towering three-part work.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A masterpiece of gentle slapstick!!!!!!!!!!!!
anton-65 September 2001
Pipe smoking Monsieur Hulot,Jacques Tati´s endearing clown takes a holiday at a seaside resort where his presence provokes one catastrophe after another.

If you going to watch Tati I think you should start with this. It´s one of the funniest movies ever made.

Beautiful filmed in black and white.And there are almost no talk in this film.It´s like a silent film.

RATING: 5/5
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Glorious escape, delightful and charming.
day-myron10 February 2005
I have seen this movie dozens of times and on each viewing a new mini vista opens up. Tati does not seek to write or tell a story, the movie is as fragmented and broken as only a movie about a vacation could be. Having known and visited small places on the north French coast in the '50s, I found that the movie carries the sense of calm,innocence and pace of the region and the time with absolute truth. The never ending series of contrasts in the movie, from the deranged passenger station and Hulot's journey in his jalopy, to fast cars pushing him off the road and his having to stop because of a dog sleeping in the road. All these events leading up to the actual vacation put one in the mind and spirit of one in Hulot's place. The camera work at all times enhances this sense of pace and is on occasion truly beautiful. Through the various escapades as the vacation unfolds on a daily basis, we are taken on a spirited and delightful week at the coast. The dialog such as it is,adds no more than an extension to the wonderfully atmospheric musical score. This has none of the social commentary of other movies by Tati such as "mon oncle", yet in retrospect, it is a chronicle of many things lost. This in summary is a work of genius, it has been fresh for more than 50 years and it would be hard to improve upon in the next 50.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Like the best vacation you never took
jrd_736 February 2015
People are in a hurry to go on vacation. They rush to the train depot. They speed down the pavement. They are all in an absurd hurry to relax and have no patience for slower traffic or animals. One such slower vehicle is a loud jalopy. It stops in front of a dog sunning itself in the middle of the road. The vehicle's owner honks the horn which sounds delightfully odd. The dog wags its tail but does not move. The horn sounds again and, once again, the dog wags its tail. Finally, the dog gets curious and goes over to the car. A hand reaches out from the car and gently pets the dog before easing the car onward to its destination. The owner of the car is Monsieur Hulot and he, too, is going on vacation. The fact that he is not in a hurry like his fellow vacationers can be attributed to the fact that Hulot lives life at an unhurried pace something that many of his acquaintances neither understand nor appreciate. Hulot is a man who prefers animals to things, play over strategy, summer relaxation over summer business, and freedom over rigid order (the headwaiter at the hotel where Hulot stays is constantly befuddled by this guest).

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday is a funny, touching, and humane look at a summer vacation. As viewers we follow Hulot, an earnest but clumsily unlucky man, through a few blissfully lazy summer days. We share his energy in play (tennis and ping pong). We feel his delight when dancing with a pretty girl at a masquerade party, where few adults have bothered to attend. We are painfully aware of Hulot's embarrassment as he dishes out abuse at a Tom who was not in fact peeping. We laugh, and cringe, at Hulot's valiant but doomed attempts to stop the escalation of an ill-timed fireworks display. Finally, at the film's conclusion, we sense the bittersweet quality with which Hulot ends his vacation, a vacation that has had humor and sadness, adventure and boredom, romance and dejection, in short a vacation full of life.

Director and Hulot star Jacques Tati does not always succeed in making me laugh (although when he does, I laugh heartily), but he always makes me smile. This week was my third go around for Monsieur Hulot's Holiday. I first watched the film a decade ago. I predict I will watch it another three times in the next ten years. I see too many films that offer nothing. Monsieur Hulot's Holiday always leaves me smiling, if somewhat sadly, from ear to ear.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gentle, funny comedy of errors
dbborroughs26 November 2004
Mr Hulot goes to the seaside and madness ensues.

This is a funny funny film. Whether you see it in English or French makes no difference since the entire story is told visually, so much so that the dialog, what little there is, is not needed.

The laughs, when the come, are the sort to double you over with pain and tears in your eyes. Its wonderfully funny.

The problem that some people will have with the film is its pacing and plot. Actually there is no plot, its simply a collection of events while Hulot stays at the seaside resort. The pacing is leisurely with laughs coming after scenes of quiet beauty, and slice of life moments that seem to lead nowhere. Its like a week at the beach and moves at its own pace.

Despite what some may consider flaws THE FILM WILL MAKE YOU LAUGH. Which is all that matters. And even if you're someone like me who likes, but doesn't really love the film, you'll find yourself wanting to see this again simply to see what you missed and to marvel at the artistry (How did they do the floating paint can?)

7 out of 10.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best films ever
waynepenner1 April 2001
The most beautiful and graceful manner in which the poor Mr. Hulot spends his vacation is hilarious. Jacques Tati employs everyone in the film, including the many children and various dogs, to contribute to one of the funniest farces I have ever seen. However, the pacing is not manic, as we are used to these days, but gentle and relaxed, and there is a delicious texture to this film that defies description. Perhaps the word I am searching for is innocence, for the delightful Mr. Hulot, who causes havoc where ever he goes, remains at heart an optimist, a romantic and really a a nice fellow. You must see this film!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charming and splendidly funny
Matt James24 February 2012
A charmingly atmospheric, if romanticised caricature of 1950's life on a coastal French holiday town.

This film is a great example of Tati's unrivalled comic skill. For a man who only made six films in his life, Tati is still one of the more highly rated directors of all time and this film shows why. (The scene with the paint can that drifts around is superb, as is the scene of Tati wandering around the lounge in his riding gear.) The genius of this film is that all the humour comes from recreating everyday situations from patient detailed observations of people going about their lives. There's nothing mocking or mean about any of it. Hulot playing tennis is comically self-deprecating and charming. And that brings me to a key point: detail. Tati diligently noted and then recreated every little gesture, quizzical look, silly (but common) smalltalk, the disdain of waiters and the sound of a spring-door. Fantastic work.

Alas there seems to be nothing to touch this kind of film in the modern milieu. One can but hope.

This is a personal favourite and a good film for a lazy Sunday afternoon in the depths of winter.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful physical comedy and warmth, a la the mature Chaplin
KFL20 March 2000
Relatively little dialog in this movie, and the sounds that are used tend to be humorous. If you like Chaplin or Buster Keaton (and who doesn't?), you'll like Mr. Hulot, which however is more inventive than Chaplin and has almost no mean streak at all--whereas in all his earlier movies, Chaplin relied heavily on hitting, kicking and the like for laughs. Of all Chaplin's output, Mr. Hulot's Holiday is perhaps most nearly like City Lights.

No plot to speak of, but as the short introduction to the movie suggests, you may recognise people you know in this movie--you may even chance upon a glimpse of yourself, playing cards in the parlour or walking on the beach....

3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tati a master of the sight gag.
John Knapp8 December 2001
This movie is a masterpiece. It is like a fine wine, that has to be sipped rather than gulped. I am sure that Rowan Atkinson has seen this, and Tati's other works, for there is a lot of "Hulot" in "Mr. Bean"! This is the rare type of film that can be as enjoyable the 10th time you see it as it was the first.
Silent Genius !
wendi-batt22 June 2006
This film is guaranteed to make me smile and cheer me up. I can almost feel the warmth of the sun on my skin as we are taken on a summer holiday with Jacques Tati.

Jacques Tati in my opinion was a comic genius. Even to see him motionless with his arms resting awkwardly angled on his back and pipe in his mouth is enough to induce a guffaw. His every movement, in his slightly ill-fitting clothes, were intended to have an effect on the viewer and this is my favourite of his films. Every squeak of the door, mutterings and movements during the course of this non-dialogue comedy are pure theatre and I think he must have choreographed his moves for maximum impact. The lack of the spoken word does not matter - Tati spells it out perfectly.

It is slapstick at its finest. I personally believe that 'The Plank', a film starring the likes of Eric Sykes and his cohorts, must have been a homage to Tati's work.

Les Vacances de M. Hulot has many layers but I love its innocence. Tati's physique being tall and up-right taking his large strides as he walks, can't fail to make you laugh as he finds himself in all manner of situations.

In my opinion this film, but particularly Jacques Tati, is 'the' finest of many great things to come out of France. France should be very proud to have produced such a man of his talents - Viva Le Tati !!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie - if it were made in 1889
billzucker9 July 2007
I'd seen this and Mon Oncle many decades ago, so was happily expecting to enjoy seeing it again as a more mature man with a keener perspective. But seeing it this time, I had to continually say to myself (and wife) "Hang in there, it'll make sense at some point." It never did.

I consider myself somewhat of a film aficionado, able to appreciate a movie on multiple levels, and accept it for what it was trying to be to various audiences. But this is one weak film, regardless of what you are trying to get out of it. Not only was there no plot, there could not possibly have been a script or storyboard. Only in the vaguest sense did one scene follow another. If fact, I can't think of a single scene that couldn't have been placed anywhere else randomly in the film with no loss of continuity or context, because there was none to begin with.

Virtually every scene went absolutely nowhere, despite plenty of opportunity. I'd bet any amount of money that they just starting filming one day, stopped a week later, then pieced together whatever wasn't grossly overexposed, grossly underexposed, or grossly out-of-focus the best they could in a few days, and called it a film. The cinematography and editing is atrocious, given what was possible in the early 1950's.

To call this film hilarious, or a masterpiece, or a devastating political satire, is saying more about the reviewer's prior expectations than about this film. Perhaps the French laughed aloud watching this in 1954 - hey, they love Jerry Lewis, and life was much simpler then - but unless you're trying to relive your youth, you're going to say "What the..." when the closing credits appear.

We did get a chuckle out of the fox stuck to the boot...
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this