Guiding Light (TV Series 1952–2009) Poster

(1952–2009)

Please watch Guiding Light and Save television history from cancellation!
Syl14 October 2002
I love Guiding Light. In fact last Friday, our CBS affiliate in New York interrupted for "breaking news" within minutes of the show's finale. It's bad enough on a Friday a few minutes before the credits ran. I have watched Guiding Light for 14 years now and I am hooked. This year, CBS will decide it's fate. With only 2 million Nielson viewers, the show could be canceled and replaced with useless television talk shows which are cheaper to make. If Guiding Light and As The World Turns are canceled, daytime television would be in enormous trouble. I remember a time when New York City was the capital of the soaps but now only 4 soaps remain. I was furious with Mayor Giuliani for not preventing the cancellation of Another World in 1999. He did nothing but yet his wife appeared on the show and others as well. If Guiding Light gets canceled, Irna Phillips and Charita Bauer would be turning over in their graves over the loss. I hope CBS makes the right decision! I hope you watch the show for its continuous excellence in acting, writing, and directing. This show deserves to be recognized as a part of American history. Believe me, the Roger and Holly relationship far outweighed any couple on daytime or prime-time television. I love Doug Hutchison's portrayal of the mysterious Sebastian Hulce. I love my veteran performers like Marj Dusay, Ron Raines, Jerry ver Dorn, Maureen Garrett, Beth Ehlers, Frank Dicopoulos. Believe me, there is nothing on prime-time or in the cinema that is like Guiding Light! If you can watch Desperate Housewives, give daytime a try. You just might like it.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The longest running series in broadcast history
tpcktt12 December 2004
For nearly 7 decades, THE GUIDING LIGHT has become one of most beloved daytime dramas. GL has the distinction of being the longest running entertainment program in American broadcast history. Created by Irna Phillips, GL originally told the story of Reverend Ruthledge and his flock of parishioners when it began on radio on January 25, 1937. In 1948, the focus of the show shifted to the Bauers, a German-American family. On June 30, 1952, GL was the first radio soap to successfully switch to television (from 1952 to 1956, GL ran on both radio and TV). The Bauer clan was led by Frederick Bauer (played by Theo Goetz from 1948 until his passing in 1973). Frederick Bauer was affectionately known to those who knew him as Papa Bauer. He had three children: Trudy (briefly played in 1952 by Helen Wagner, who eventually went on play matriarch Nancy Hughes on another Irna Phillips creation called AS THE WORLD TURNS in 1956), Meta (played by longest by Ellen Demming: 1953-1975), whom many of early story lines revolved around, and son Bill (who later became an alcoholic) and his family. Bill's family included wife Bertha, also known as Bert, who would become one of the most beloved matriarchs in daytime television (she was played by Charita Bauer from 1950 until her death in February, 1985) and their two sons Michael and Edward. In the 1960s and 1970s, Michael and Edward became the focus of the show with their various professional and personal problems, including Ed's alcoholism. Beginning in the late 1970s, other families became part of the show's fabric (the Marlers, Spauldings, Coopers, Lewises, Chamberlains, Norrises, Reardons and Thorpes). Like many soaps, GL has had some memorable characters. One of which was Roger Thorpe, the most infamous villain in soap history (played to perfection by the late, great Micheal Zaslow on-and-off from 1971 to 1997). During the years 1995-2004, the show lost its focus. Those years were filled by incompetent producers and writers who created some of the worst story lines in the show's history. Some of these clunkers included the cloning of Reva, the Santos family, the San Cristobal story (the only good thing about that one is the emergence of Our Prince of Darkness---Edmund Winslow), and the Mary Anne Carruthers mystery. In early 2004, GL seems to be getting back on track with competent producers and writers at the helm, who have created story lines that make good use of the show's long history (the only down side is that Grant Aleksander, who played Philip Spaulding since 1982 was sacrificed).
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
I miss Philip
kerpptd4 April 2006
Grant's portrayal of Phillip over the years was great. I am still holding my breath for the day he come's back to Guiding Light. I know that GL cut a lot of the best cast members last year, but I hope they didn't cut out us fans of the best actors who portrayed not only Phillip Spaulding, but Ross Marler and the cutting back of Rick Bauer, Holly and Blake. Please come back Phillip- I have been a fan of Guiding Light since before you and Rick came back from boarding school and Rick changed his name. Grant, you are greatly missed, as is the character you portrayed, it is not just my hope, but that of my mother's and sister's that you come back soon. You are fondly missed, and we can't wait till you walk into the board room of Spaulding, unannounced and get into it with Allen. The story line for your return could be the best GL has had in years.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
comment on show
so_marvelous29 March 2001
I have watched Guiding Light long enough to know that Kim Zimmer is the most talented actress there is on tv. She is awesome in that she draws viewers into her performance and makes them feel what the character Reva Shayne is feeling. The show is one of the best of all time, the writing is unique and centers around long time Springfield families. Guiding Light is the longest running daytime drama and I think that says a lot about the quality of the show. With actors and actresses like Kim Zimmer, Robert Newman, Beth Ehlers, Grant Alexander, Jerry ver Dorn and plenty others, the show has just what it needs to be successful for many more years to come!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Guiding Light
rjcoll21 December 2005
I have watched Guiding Light for 45 years. My mother started watching when it first started. The story lines have been great. Between Reva and Joshua's ups and downs. I hope they find their way back to each other. It would be great if you could bring back Danny and Michelle. Michelle is a great asset to the show. Also, Ed Bauer added a great touch to the show. Jonathan and Tammy belong to each other. I was glad you finally put them together. Sandy needs to move on. As far as Alan Michael coming back, I find it very strange that he is making moves on Marina, when he was married to her mother years ago. Not a good move. Please writers, keep the show going. I don't want another talk show in the on daytime TV.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Hooked for 10 years
ken-13826 February 1999
I haven't seen every soap, but from what I have seen, this one can claim the best acting talent around. It's too bad Cynthia Watros (Annie) and Wendy Moniz (Dinah) had to go, They're both gifted actresses. Grant Aleksander (Philip) probably can claim best actor presently. Fortunately, the great cast makes up for some of the plot lines, e.g. Michael the angel, the bizarre cloning of Reva, and now Hart is in this metaphorical fight for life. It'll take a week to decide his fate. Pity the punching bag.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Was Great, But Getting Mediocre
Brian Washington6 March 2005
I first got hooked on this show when I was in high school and I still keep up with it. Unfortunately, it is becoming so repetitive that it is getting boring. Of course, the one person that will keep me coming back to it is Kim Zimmer and her wonderful portrayal of Reva. Reva Shayne probably is the strongest female character on soaps next to Susan Lucci's portrayal of Erica Kane. However, the main beef I have against it is that it now the show is beginning to lose touch with reality and everything has to revolve around some mystery that involves every major family in town. I hope one day that this show will regain its focus and that it will get back to being the great show that it was.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The light may have gone out, but the memory lingers on.
mark.waltz19 June 2015
How do you sum up 70 years of a soap opera? Why, start at the beginning of course, and in the case of the oldest of all daytime soaps (which began on radio), the theme was spirituality which may have decreased as time marched on, but there was always a subtle reminder of that light, whether it be through the fact that basically normal people could get through whatever struggle life challenged them with simply through their own inner strengths. Radio episodes and early kinescopes of the first decade of the show still exist, showing the development of the Bauer family (introduced late in the radio run a few years before it went onto T.V.) which established them as the core family. Even as their story lines decreased as other families joined the canvas (most notably the wealthy Spauldings and Lewises), they still remained the backbone of the original theme with some of the younger members of the family being important during the show's last decade.

I started watching in the early 1980's, switching channels from "General Hospital" during commercials to see if Jane Elliott (Carrie, "GH's" Tracy) was on, her split personality storyline extremely well acted and mesmerizing. When Beverlee McKinsey came on as Alexandra Spaulding in 1984 (at the same time I couldn't really bear "GH" all that much anymore), I became a full time viewer, and that year had one of my all time favorite camp story lines, the Barbados location shoot that featured the wonderful Carrie Nye as the sinister Susan Piper. Even in her second role as Caroline Caruthers, Nye made a bad storyline tolerable, even using the same gun she had used 20 years before as Susan.

During this time, of course, "GL" gradually became the Reva Shayne show, with Kim Zimmer on the front burner and on daily for years. Her supposed demise in 1990 allowed other actors to get some airtime, but that dwindled once she returned in 1995. Certainly, Zimmer is a great actress, and it was the producer's decision to showcase her, but other actors seemed to slide off the back-burner thanks to the dominating story lines Reva was given. But when these characters did get time in the spotlight, they shined, particularly Tina Sloan's kind but troubled nurse Lillian Raines, Peter Simon's melancholy Ed Bauer, and Ellen Parker's naive Maureen Reardon Bauer, culminating in a tear-jerking conclusion when Maureen was killed off after discovering Lillian and Ed's affair. The re-cast of Alexandra Spaulding with the magnetic Marj Dusay started off hopeful, but she was majorly wasted after the casting of Ron Raines as the third Alan Spaulding wrapped up the story of his attempts to take over Spaulding Enterprises. Fortunately, she would return on several occasions and was present for the final episode.

Being taped in New York meant that "Guiding Light" had access to some of the theater's best talent, and such distinguished actors as William Roerick, Maeve Kinkhead, Larry Gates and Chris Bernau (the original Alan) were cast. Sometimes story lines were wrapped up neatly, but like real life, the ramifications of those plot lines lead to new stories. This was very evident with the character of Roger Thorpe (Emmy Winner Michael Zaslow) whose actions affected practically every major family on the show. His "demise" in 1980 remains one of the show's highlights, and his return from the dead in 1989 opened up a whole new can of worms.

Forced by changing trends to keep with the times, "Guiding Light" became somewhat predictable in the late 1980's with the emphasis on youth. Early 1980's teen stories were planned out realistically with outstanding young actors cast as such characters as Tim Werner (Kevin Bacon, no less!), Morgan Richards, and later on, Philip Spaulding, Beth Raines, Rick Bauer and Mindy Lewis. While not all the young actors were blonde, bland and bad, it seemed for a while that the show had taken on an L.A. look. But "GL" had some pride in its past, continuously bringing back fan favorites from the past (Nola, Claire, Barbara, Josh, Billy, Holly, etc.) and for the most part providing memorable send-offs for actors on the show who had passed away. One poor exception was the death of Bert Bauer in 1986 who didn't manage to get an on-screen funeral with visits of family members and friends. Original cast member Charita Bauer deserved much better. But the deaths of the actors playing Henry and H.B. in real life were written in for their characters, and they made up for what the Bauer matriarch had not gotten. "GL" ended its 50+ T.V. run by bringing back many old favorites from the past for a send-off to the longest running program in broadcast history.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
My favorite soap!
AshWink1712 August 2005
I was young when I first started to watch GL. I was probably about 10 when I actually started to follow it. My grandmother who was only a schoolgirl of 12 told stories of how she heard the priest at her paraochical school listening to the radio version back in the late 30s. Now, my mother, herself, and I all watch it together and I have been doing so for a long time. I enjoy the soap a lot. From the crazy and colorful many last named Reva Shayne (who's full last name causes one to have to take a breath) to the evil and vindictive Dinah to Michelle, who was my favorite when I first started watching to Lizzie, who was my favorite kid until she turned into a Paris Hilton wannabe to the deceased characters. I have enjoyed all sorts of the story lines, from the Reva Clone to the Earthquake on San Cristobel to Cassie being locked in a tower to Philip's murder. I plan to keep watching this show for a long time and I hope CBS is smart in this because it's wonderful and to end it would be a crime.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
A classic soap opera
Catherine_Grace_Zeh16 July 2006
Ah, yes. I can remember when I was in high school. The first thing I would do my junior and senior year when I got home was turn on the TV and watch this classic soap opera. From that moment on, I was hooked on it. In addition, I also enjoyed the days when Signy Coleman (Annie Dutton) was on the show. Ever since Saundra Santiago (Carmen Santos) left the show in 2002, I haven't been watching it as much. If you ask me, she was absolutely diabolical. You'd have to have seen the show between 1999 and 2002 if you want to know why. However, this is still a good soap opera. In conclusion, I highly recommend this classic soap opera to all you die-hard CBS fans.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Sharpen the Ax or Load the Gun!!!
BrockLong11 September 2008
This show currently is really, really, really (underline and bold the word "really" to stress my point) BAD!! I watched part of an episode this week and was absolutely shocked by many things: the awful new realistic filming which makes the sets look cheap and the actors less attractive than under set lighting; the poorly written dialog between the actors; the domination of unfamiliar characters (who are all of these Australian sounding actors? where is Harley? Alexandra?); and the current physical appearance of Kim Zimmer (exactly how much weight has the woman gained and who truly believes that a woman of her age could be pregnant?). Also, what's the fascination with gravel driveways and yards for scenes between the characters? The current state of soap operas is not great. Overall ratings are really down. The writing at some of them really could be improved (I'm specifically thinking about As the World Turns and the Bold & the Beautiful). This show, though, is beyond redemption. A horse with a broken leg is often shot to avoid the animal a long-suffering death. Why can't they do something similar with this show and just CANCEL it??? It really is sad that the longest running soap opera now appears to be something produced, written, and filmed by summer interns at a local access television station. My only hope is that the producers and writers or whoever is responsible for the current state of this show NEVER get another position on a daytime show. The hack job that they have done to this show is unforgivable.
Jonathan & Tammy
scdilts29 November 2005
Thought these two are great together I think it is just sick that they are going to put then together as lovers. After all they are first cousins and that is just gross. Please put Tammy back with Sandy. They are great together. This is only my opinion but I would bet that there are others out there that feel the same way. We know that Tammy is Cassie's daughter and that Jonathan is Reva's son. Also they have proved that Cassie and Reva are sisters, so that makes Tammy and Jonathan first cousins. In some states it is illegal for first cousins to be together as lovers or to even get married. This is the worse idea they have had since they cloned Reva.
This show is GREAT!
elizabeth_dahan9 June 2005
I love Guiding Light. I have been watching it since my Grandmother showed it to me when I was 13. Neat!

There have been times when the plot got weird (they cloned Reva at one point! Noooo!)But there is such a diversity in plots that there is always something that keeps me glued to the screen!

I totally love this show and also love discussing it online with my fellow viewers over at Guiding Light Central (www.guidinglightcentral.com) There is always something interesting to discuss about the show with everyone. It adds a whole new dimension to the show! We discuss the show with each other and speculate about the motivations behind the character and try to predict what will happen next! It is so much fun that I would not miss a show! Thank goodness for our DVR!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
After 66 years Guiding Light still shines! Conboy and Co. Rules!
pacos1020306 June 2003
After 66 years Guiding Light still shines! This show currently 6/5 is rocking all thanks to John Conboy and Co. Who are they? Well John Conboy is the current Executive Producer of Guidng Light, and he is doing a excellent job along with queen Ellen Weston. She is a great writer and she is doing a excellent job along with John. Ellen Weston currently have shown all the vets of the show. GL is making it's own sister show As the World Turns, suck. With those stupid teens ATWT has. I mean really GL rules. I'm sure under JC and EW they can make the light shine so bright it'll blind you at how good a show it is. If you are looking for any sites to go to as a GL fan I suggest you go to Soap City.com a wonderful site. But don't go to GL Buzz.com many people there might not like your positive comments over there. But there is some good people there, Chris, Kade, etc etc(there's more). Anyways GL rules. You should watch it.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Why Don't They Bring Back Michael Bauer?
sirinightngail6 April 2006
I've often wondered why the writers never think about bringing back Mike. After he left the show, it's as if he never existed. Now I realize the Bauers have less of a role on here now, but I've often wondered about Mike. The character that played him is still around, making commercials.

And, while I'm at it........why ARE the Bauers talked about less and less??? I know Michelle is gone away to make a life with Danny and the two children. Maureen has been dead for a looooong time. Ed is out and about. Rick? Hardly ever see him. Allan Michael is the only "tie" left (Mikes's grandson).
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Marina and Alan Michael
lilkels1313 December 2005
Is anyone else confused about this whole Marina and Alan Michael thing??? The writers (and characters) seem to forget that Alan Michael was married to Marina's mother, Elani, before she was married to Frank. If they get together, that is just weird. "Hey mom...I'm dating your ex-husband from over 20 years ago...." They did an awful job casting him...I think he is a great actor, but age wise, it just doesn't fit. He looks younger the rick hearst did when he played Alan Michael back in the mid 90's. He looks way too young to be Alan Michael.

And on a side note, I miss Danny and Marina... I hate that he got back with Michele.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The most romantic on daytime
niki877 September 1999
The minute I saw him as Prince Richard, he had my heart. He seems to be of royal blood. The last time I was affected so much by an actor on TV was when I was 16 & saw Richard Chamberlain as Dr. Kildare. It has been that long since some one has measured up. Prince Richard has added so much to an already compelling show. If you like a handsome, powerful, wealthy, strong man that is also compassionate, sensitive & honest then you will love Bradley Cole as Prince Richard. Move over Prince Charming, you've been replaced.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
A great soap:
Rick-1351 January 1999
I admit,I do not care for the way Paul Rauch runs this show nowadays but through-out the 80's and well into the 90's,Guiding Light was the best daytime drama out there. The 4 musketeers (Mindy,Rick,Phillip and Beth) were by far some of the best characters ever. I miss the character of Mindy Lewis played by either Krista Tesreau or Kimberley Simms and GREAT actors like Beverley McKinsey (Alex) and Michael Zaslow (Roger) and soon the very talented Wendy Monez (Dinah) will be leaving,so sad. However many great actors still remain with the show like Michael O'Leary (Rick),Grant Aleksander (Phillip),Maeve Kinkead (Vanessa) and Mary Kay Adams (India) so for the the enjoyment of watching these great actors and a few others,Guiding Light still shines (only not as bright)
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Comment on Synopsis
katybudz15 May 2018
My grandmother use to watch this show, so there are some good memories attached. Also Springfield, Illinois is a real town; and missed opportunity not using it has a filming location!
Fond memories
mhubbard-546579 January 2017
The program has been off the air for quite awhile now, still I have many fond memories of watching it with my mother, who told me she used to listen to it on the radio while she was doing her ironing. Although it seems silly, some of the story lines came to have personal meaning. There were many times when the characters would display such pluck in adverse circumstances that it helped me somehow. Like the characters, I found the strength to face another day. I loved Josh and Reva, Philip and Beth and many others. Every now and then there would be a spiritual "zinger" of some kind, reflecting the show's religious roots.Then came the Internet, and the DVR with the ability to skip the commercials. Other forms of entertainment were readily available and in competition. Most of the soap operas had their budgets cut and then fizzled out.I know many of the shows towards the end did start to resort to increasingly bizarre and "way out there" stories, which probably hastened the demise. Still, I will fondly remember "Love in the afternoon" and the GL.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
How could IMDb leave Michael Zaslow out of the cast list?
calvinnme14 June 2013
Realize I was only a regular viewer from the 1970's onward. Someone needs to fix this cast list thing though, because like losing Hoss was to Bonanza, it was only a matter of time after Michael Zaslow was unceremoniously booted from the show after he began to show symptoms of ALS, that this show would fade into the sunset. Zaslow played Roger Thorpe, the guy you loved to hate, from the early seventies (he's what got me watching) until 1980, and then again 1989-1997.

The writers, trying to capitalize on a headline in late 1978, wrote themselves into a corner by having Roger commit a particularly heinous act against a beloved member of the cast, Holly, in March 1979. He couldn't just hang around town after that. Then, in a move so typical of soaps, after having you watch him fall off a very high cliff in April 1980, with several severe bumps with said cliff along the way and into the sea, the writers resurrect him in 1989 saying somehow he survived and has been palling around with the CIA all of these years! He'd have a better chance of growing a third arm!

Zaslow's Thorpe was a bit more complex character when he returned in 1989, but he was still up to no good. After he left, the show really only had Reva and Josh as the center of the action, and there are only so many times you can watch this couple divorce and remarry before you begin sympathizing with all of Josh and Reva's rebound spouses as they get promised the moon, gradually become ignored as the Reva/Josh romance rekindles, and then get blamed for being bitter after they are dumped. The last straw for me - cousin love in the form of Reva's son and her half-sister's daughter. Eeeeewww! I actually have cousins and this was just too much.

All in all, among soaps I'd still give it a seven. If you ever find the specialty VHS tape about Roger Thorpe that Guiding Light put out in 1994 -"Roger Thorpe: The Scandal Years" - give it a look. I think that you'll see the charisma and complexity of the character that got so many of us hooked forty odd years ago.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Years later and I still miss this show
norrthpier27 May 2012
For as bad as the show was at the end, the Guiding Light was a wonderful show for many MANY years with a beautifully rich history. There has never been, nor will there ever be, a character like Reva Shayne Lewis. The Reva Shayne-Josh Lewis love story fueled some of the best moments in daytime time history. Despite the "melodrama" soaps have often been guilty of, the Guiding Light did a wonderful job reflecting the realities (both positive and negative) of every day life as well. Who could forget Beth, Lillian, and Bradley - Bradley's abuse of Beth? Phillip's parentage? The Spaulding sibling rivalry that poisoned generations? The acting talent was wonderful. The writing and directing staff needed to be canceled, not the show. The show should still be on the air.
Tinsel & Tine's Ode to Guiding Light
tinseltine1 May 2011
Here's a love note to this television institution which showed its very last episode on September 18, 2009 after 72 years of being on the air.

Sadly, Guiding Light was so much apart of my formative years, that I feel I have more memories of these characters, than I do of my own life. I started watching ever so faithfully, when I was 12 years old and saw just about every episode for 25 years.

In the beginning, I would race home from school to catch it. My first paycheck from my after school job, went to the purchase of a VCR. It's pathetic to admit, but I actually remember crying if the electricity went out for some reason or my VCR didn't record an episode. Looking back, I'm sometimes ashamed of the amount of time I spent watching soaps, GL in particular. I still need the escapism found in movies, TV and books, most of us will admit that; but for me, the medium of telling stories through daytime serials brought with it a sense of satisfaction that I have yet to find again.

My earliest memories are of Kelly and Morgan (the red haired Morgan) falling in love at Laurel Falls. Annual Bauer BBQ's, A crazy Amanda Wexler, who retreated back into childhood complete with a big, silly bow in her hair and a ever present rag baby. Then, GL moved into it's heydays with focus on the teenage years of Phillip, Beth, Rick and Mindy's friendships and romances. Although, I think I may have loved the old movie quality of Nola and Quentin's Jane Eyer like storyline, even more.

Anyone even remotely acquainted with the show, will agree the most important moment was the day Reva Shane stormed in to Springfield and the whole Lewis/Shane clan saga was slowly revealed to us riveted viewers. To this day, their history seems like gospel, okay, maybe gospel is taking it too far, but if feels like a universal story, not unlike Gone With The Wind or Camelot.

The Men: I've always said (and I'm still looking for him) that my ideal man would have the humor and bigheartedness of Billy Lewis (Jordan Clarke), the sophistication of Alan Spaulding (Ron Raines), the adventuress spirit of Fletcher Read(Jay Hammer), the good looks and patience of Josh Lewis (Robert Newman), the earnestness of Ed Baurer (Peter Simon) and the solid sexiness of Ross Marler (Jerry Ver Dorn). In addition, throw in a little Rick Hearst, Micheal Tylo and Justin Deas for good measure!

The Women: Some stellar actresses have graced this sound stage. It's really the women that keep you glued to a Soap. It becomes vital that you see each one through crisis after crisis, through changes of love, hate, death, rebirth, births, careers, and most importantly wardrobe!

Reva (Kim Zimmer) is just Reva - no words can describe her, but I do wonder if she's counted how many thousand (perhaps millions) of tears she actually shed over the years.

Harley (Beth Ehlers) was tenacious and raw and adorable.

Cassie (Laura Wright) was a beauty with so much spunk and true grit.

Beth (Beth Chamberlain) took us for a roller coaster ride over the years; sometimes sympathetic and weak, then she'd be devious and self-centered, other times just a mess and sometimes powerful and maternal.

Holly (Maureen Garrett) was one of the most elegantly, naturally, sexy women I've ever seen.

Dinah (Wendy Moniz/Gina Tognoni) made you cheer her on through every self-destructive antic.

My sister will kill me if I leave out her favorite - Blake (Liz Keifer) who never stopped making mistake after mistake, yet we forgave her again and again.

I also really loved the first Alexandra Spaulding (Beverly McKenzie) and I still miss Nola Reardon-Chamberlain (Lisa Brown). Some young actresses like Melina Kanakaredes, Brittany Snow, Hayden Panettiere and Nia Long got started on Guiding Light and went on to be amazing prime time and movie actresses.

In the end, the show was a mere shell of itself, so little happening, such cheap production value. I felt glad that it was being given a final send off before its original magic completely disappeared.

To the viewers delight, Philip and Beth and Rick and Mindy all reunited with marriages for both couples. Billy and Vanessa also made one last trip down the aisle. Alan's double dealings were finally put to rest for eternity and most importantly Reva and Josh rode off together into the sunset.

RIP GL.
The Guiding Light:The Longest-Running Daytime Drama on Television
raysond2 October 2009
Created by Irma Phillips,the longest running daytime serial in the history of television came to end on September 18, 2009,after more than 72 years on the air,and ending with an astounding 15,762 episodes. This dramatic series first began on radio on NBC back on January 25,1937,and from there went to CBS radio in 1947 before heading to television as a 15-minute format on June 30, 1952.

The Black and White episodes of Guiding Light were from 1952 until 1967.

The Color Episodes of Guiding Light were from 1967 until 2009.

The 15-minute formats aired from June 30,1952 until September 6,1968.

The 30-minute formats aired from September 6,1968 until November 4, 1977.

The Hour Long episodes aired from November 7,1977 until September 18, 2009.

"Guiding Light" premiered on June 30, 1952 as an 15-minute soap opera. The format of this serial began as an 15-minute format,and it remained that way until September of 1968,when the show expanded to an half-hour and more changes came in November of 1977 when the show went from 30 minutes to an full hour. Produced by Proctor and Gamble Productions in association with the CBS Television Network. The show was produced in New York City and sometimes went to locations for extended scenes later on during it's run. The show itself remains one of the first to deal with the issues of the time,not to mention was the first soap opera to feature African-Americans in prominent roles(from James Earl Jones,to Cicely Tyson, Nia Long, Blair Underwood to name a few including Giancarlo Esposito),and other actors that got their start on this show. From Jobeth Williams,Ed Begley, Martin Balsam, Jack Klugman, Sandy Dennis,Marj Dusay, Sherry Stringfield, Carl Evans, Gil Rogers and John Wesley Shipp,and Ed Bryce, Bernard Hughes,and not to mention an up and coming Kevin Bacon got his start on this show as well.
Guilding Light
judy_browder2 April 2009
I really wish you would not take off this soap. I love it. The crew are like my family. I thinking why was all the actor and actress move to another soap. I have been watching Guilding light for years. I know its the best. I wish you would consider air the soap at night time. People can enjoy. Keep airing it and get a place on the soap channel. Try get some the old people back that made the story. Do what you can to please save this soap. Many people would love to watch it. However, they work. My husbands this soap as well. When he here that you were going to stop airing the show. He knew I was going to be upset. I love Reva and Josh. I was hoping that they would get back with each other. Bring back Michele and Danny. Bill and Lizzie could get married. The story line could be base on the children and grandchildren that you have bought in the story line. This soap could be a star one. Big Alan could change and be a little nice. Please get viewer comments before taking off the soap. I do not like One life to live or General Hospital. Please stay with us. Thanks.