Cinderella (1950) Poster

(1950)

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-BEAUTIFUL!
phillindholm4 October 2005
Legendary movie producer Walt Disney brought three of the world's greatest fairy tales to the screen. They remain among the most popular animated films of all time. The first was his groundbreaking classic "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" released in 1937. The last was the then-under appreciated "Sleeping Beauty" which made it's debut in 1959. In between these two was perhaps his most satisfying adaptation of a classic fairy tale: "Cinderella" (1950). Of the three films, "Cinderella" is the one most faithful to its origins. Ironically, unlike "Snow White", which for better or worse, became for many the definitive version of the story. "Cinderella" did not follow the same path. Although it was a hit and, like "Snow White", was responsible for restoring the dwindling Disney fortunes, it never achieved the same audience recognition which it certainly deserved. Disney, for once, did himself proud, electing not to tamper with a classic, instead elaborating and adding substance to the tale, rather than rewriting it for the screen. The result was enchanting.

A combination of superb animation (in beautifully soft Technicolor) and the perfect voice talents brought the story to life with a radiance that endures to this day. Ilene Woods, who was a radio performer, recorded demonstration discs of the songs as a favor to the authors of the material, Al Hoffman, Mack David, and Jerry Livingston. When Disney heard them, he knew he had found his Cinderella. And indeed he had. Woods heartfelt renditions of "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes", "So This Is Love" and "Oh Sing Sweet Nightingale" are perfect. Eleanor Audley, who would go on to voice Maleficent in "Sleeping Beauty", masterfully captured the icy cruelty of the stepmother, while Rhoda Williams and Lucille Bliss were convincingly nasty stepsisters. Luis Van Rooten admirably performed as both the King and the Grand Duke, and James Macdonald was endearing as both Jaq and Gus, Cinderella's devoted mice. William Phipps has little dialog as the prince (future talk show host Mike Douglas provided his singing voice) but film (and Disney) veteran, Verna Felton was born to play the fairy godmother, and she made the best number, (the Oscar-nominated "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo") her own show-stopper.

Among the artists responsible for the "look" of the film, was Mary Blair, whose inspired use of color was greatly admired by Disney. Her elegant French-period backgrounds add tremendously to the quality of the movie. But, most important of all' are the believable characters--from Cinderella, right down to Lucifer, the stepmother's deliciously evil cat. They bring both life and vibrancy to the often told story, something very difficult to create in an animated film.

In conjunction with the film's 55-year anniversary, (and, not so coincidentally, the coming holiday season) "Cinderella" has just been released on a special edition DVD. It simply has never looked better. The fully restored film must be seen to be appreciated--suffice it to say, it looks wonderful. An enhanced stereo soundtrack has been added, and serves the music well. The DVD extras, now a standard part of Disney Platinum Editions, are too numerous to list here, but as usual, some are directed towards children, some are slanted to adults, and the rest fall somewhere in between. But real fans will want to get the Deluxe Gift Set, because, along with an actual cell from the film and eight character sketches, it includes a 160-page hardback book, which not only incorporates most of the material found in the book with the 1995 special edition home video release, but much more as well. As usual for Disney, "Cinderella" will only be available for a limited time. So, if like me, you are a "Cinderella" lover, get it NOW! This edition is truly a "Dream Come True."
77 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightful Disney animation with some pleasant songs...
Doylenf15 July 2001
When I first saw 'Cinderella', I found it surprising that the mice had so much to do whereas in the fairy tale they were just incidental creatures. But Disney saw that giving them a big role in the main storyline was the key to providing all the humor and suspense needed to spice up the predictable story. The leading mice, Gus and Jaq are delightful creations and the valiant band of mice are given amusing bits of business.

Artistically, the animation art has a rather glossy modern look despite the fact that it's an old, old story from 1697, a classic children's fairy tale that has been done countless times as either a film, a play or a ballet. But this version will charm Disney fans young and old with its imaginative use of animation and a splendid collection of tuneful songs.

A highlight is the 'Cinderella Work Song' in which the mice make a dress for the mistreated Cinderella, full of inventive comic touches and accompanied by the intricate blend of song and animation. Add to that 'So This Is Love', 'A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes' and 'Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo' and you have a charming version of the Charles Perrault story.

For villainy, the stepmother and her black cat (Lucifer) are two of the most brilliantly animated creatures in the film. The cat reminds me of a naughty black cat I once owned. The scene where the stepmother is stroking the cat as she gives Cinderella a list of chores is striking in its use of shadow and menace. Along with some dark touches, there is always a bubbling sense of humor, particularly in this sequence.

Cinderella herself comes across as a pleasant heroine with a sense of humor herself, lifelike in her movements and one of Disney's more successful human figures. Disney's artists did greater art work in other films but this is a well-structured work, a great combination of music and clever animation. The pace is fast, even allowing for extended scenes of the mice and their shenanigans for the sub-plot. And Lucifer, the cat, makes a wonderful foil for their tricks.

The Disney touch is evident in every scene and makes this charming blend of comedy, music and romance a film with timeless appeal.
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magical
laffinsal12 December 2002
Let's not be coy, this is one of Disney's finest animated features. The characters, the colors, the music, it's all wonderful. The studio was at it's absolute peak at this point, with the terrific "streamlined" look to the artwork, that would be changed to a more "rough" appearance in just a few years following this movie.

And what's not to like about it? Cinderella is one of the more endearing characters to come from a Disney feature, her stepmother and stepsisters some of the meanest, and her mice and bird friends, some of the most charming.

Memorable scenes include the "Nightingale" number, with Cinderella's reflection in the soap bubbles, the evil sisters tearing her dress to shreds, her arrival at the ball, and the trying-on of the slipper. Add to that some great numbers like "Bibbodi Bobbodi Boo", and the mice's "work song". A wonderful movie, that never loses its magic, no matter how old you are.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enchanting and enthralling adaption of a classic fairy tale.
RJV20 May 2000
Walt Disney's CINDERELLA takes a story everybody's familiar with and embellishes it with humor and suspense, while retaining the tale's essential charm. Disney's artists provide the film with an appealing storybook look that emanates delectable fairy tale atmosphere. It is beautifully, if conventionally, animated; the highlight being the captivating scene where the Fairy Godmother transforms a pumpkin into a majestic coach and Cinderella's rags to a gorgeous gown. Mack David, Al Hoffman, and Jerry Livingston provide lovely songs like "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" that enhance both the scenario and the characters.

Even though CINDERELLA's story is predictable, it provides such thrilling melodrama that one shares the concerns and anxieties of the titular heroine and her animal friends. Both the wicked stepmother and her dreadful cat Lucifer present a formidable menace that threatens the dreams and aspirations of Cinderella and the mice. It is this menace that provides the story with a strong conflict that holds the viewers' interest. The film's suspense, however, is nicely balanced by a serene sweetness, especially in the musical numbers. It is in these segments that reveal the appealing personalities of Cinderella and her friends, moving the viewers to care for them. Overall, Walt Disney's CINDERELLA is wonderful family entertainment that has held up remarkably well after half a century.
32 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My first movie
nunval16 April 2000
This is the first movie I have ever seen and it was love at first sight. Since then I've watched it a hundred times or so and collected the video in many languages. Cinderella is wonderful, funny and rich. I know that many people remember it for the mice and Lucifer, but look at the human figures: they're (with the exception of the Prince) perfect and truly convincing. For example the relationship between Cinderella and the stepmother is strongly rendered and it's clear that the girl fears that woman. The sequence of the fairy godmother is one of the best of all Disney films (what a dream the transformation of the dress) and the ball episode is exciting and fascinating in both drawing (note the use of the shadows at a time when computer coloring was far away), dialogue and music (the Cinderella Waltz "So this is love" is enchanting).
31 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A success, on the whole
Spleen12 August 1999
People criticise Disney's animated features of the 1950s for being overly glossy, set in landscapes that are much too pristine. That criticism is just. And yet it can't be the whole story, because the two least glossy - "Alice in Wonderland" and "Peter Pan" - are also the weakest. "Cinderella", on the other hand, set in a world in which the very dirt sparkles, is clearly the best.

It DOES look good. The backgrounds are subtle and consistent; the colours are pure without being too bright. The animation varies a bit. I'll swear that some of the humans are rotoscoped - but then, the rotoscoped humans (including Cinderella herself) aren't full-blooded characters in the script, so this approach works well enough. It's really the animals that make the movie. I think the studio had never quite used animals in this way before, as totems rather than sidekicks. The mice, for instance, are the creatures who draw us into the story; but they are really representatives or allies of the more colourless Cinderella. The cat, Lucifer, is a kind of witch's familiar to the Wicked Stepmother. (The cat is brilliantly conceived and animated - one of the best feline creations of all time. The supervising animator was Ward Kimball and he modelled it on his own cat. I wonder how he put up with the animal.) This approach allows the animals to steal the show without drawing our attention from the main story. Their actions are of maximum interest only in the light of the main story.

Among the supporting cast the notable humans are the King and the Grand Duke. The King is a one note character - he wants grandchildren and appears to have no other desires at all - but the note is struck in a pleasing fashion. The Grand Duke is a put-upon character who deserves to be lifted out of his sphere as much as Cinderella does. (Although he, of course, is richer.)

"Cinderella" is Disney's return to features after an eight-year hiatus, and neither with it nor with any subsequent movie would he recapture the raw brilliance of his early years. Moreover he made things hard for himself by picking "Cinderella". She's a passive heroine and there's not much anyone can do about that. (Maybe I'm wrong on this score - I haven't seen the recent "Ever After".) Nonetheless it is remarkable how successful Disney was in bringing this unpromising story to life, without cutting across the grain of its spirit.
40 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Symbol of the Disney Magic
travisimo23 April 2004
As a young boy, I always sort of hated "Cinderella," since I was outvoted by my two sisters when my parents were considering what Disney movie to buy. I wanted "Dumbo," but my sisters won out, and we got "Cinderella." They thoroughly enjoyed the movie while I sulked in the back of the room playing with my Star Wars action figures.

A lot has changed since then. My love of the Disney theme parks landed me an internship at Walt Disney World, and I now have two young nieces. I like to showcase Disney to them as much as I can, and we recently watched "Cinderella" together. With my newfound appreciation for all that is Disney, I watched "Cinderella" with a new perspective and was impressed with what I saw.

From the beginning of the movie, though, I didn't quite understand why Cinderella was trapped in such a horrible predicament. Why was she such a slave to her stepfamily, and why couldn't she just run away? I wasn't too sympathetic to Cinderella, but as the story progressed, I found myself becoming immersed in the story. Maybe the eye-catching animation or the fun-loving characters drew me in, or maybe it was the timeless songs. Listening to songs like "Bibbidy-Bobbidy-Boo" and "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" sort of whisked me back to the theme parks. I can picture myself in that carefree and fun atmosphere while looking at the awe-inspiring Cinderella Castle.

Something about this movie just evokes the magic of Disney. That may make many people scoff, but go to the Magic Kingdom and see all the little girls dressed up like Cinderella that are excited to be in this fantasy world, and you'll know what I'm talking about. The images of Cinderella and the glass slipper - as well as Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, and Tinkerbell - embody why Disney is one of the most beloved companies in the entire world.

While "Cinderella" may not be the strongest story, it is sort of iconic in Disney and movie history. It represents that fun, idealistic, and fantasy-like wonderment we held when we were kids. I imagine this movie holds a lot of meaning to many, many people out there. It may not be my favorite Disney movie, but it does represent all that I love and admire about the Company.

My IMDb Rating: 10/10. My Yahoo! Grade: A (Outstanding)
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
Smells_Like_Cheese19 January 2004
Cinderella takes me back, when I was a little girl I loved the princesses of Disney. Cinderella was one of my favorites because I always was so enchanted by the story. Any child or family members will enjoy this wonderful and magical story.

We have Cinderella who is a beautiful girl enslaved by her wicked step mother and ugly step sisters. She cleans and cooks for them without ever receiving thanks. The only friends she has in the world are the mice in the attic that are so charming and musical. When the ladies receive an invitation to the King's ball to find a lady for his son, the prince, a.k.a. Prince Charming, they all get excited, Cinderella overhears the exciting news and asks if she could come too. Her step mother makes a false promise and says if she does her chores and such, she can come too. Of course, she doesn't keep her promise and destroys a beautiful dress she and the mice made for the ball. Leaving poor Cinderella behind, a wonderful thing happens, Cinderella's fairy god mother appears and creates a beautiful dress and carriage out of things from around the house and even makes the mice and horses into elegant horses and a driver for the carriage. When the prince sees Cinderella at the ball, he has fallen hard for her. All the ladies are jealous, including her step mother and sisters. But Cinderella must return home at midnight when the spell is broken, all she leaves behind is her glass slipper. The next day the prince is on a hunt to find this girl who fits the slipper and is making a stop at Cinderella's house where her step mother has found out about her night and locks her in her room.

Can she escape in time to tell the prince that it was her at the ball? You'll just have to find out. Trust me, this is a true Disney classic with beautiful animation and classic music that is so charming. You can't help but fall in love with this masterpiece. A dream is a wish your heart makes, this movie captures everything a girl could want.

26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Childhood Classic of My Children and Mine
claudio_carvalho18 July 2013
In a small kingdom, the happily child Cinderella loses her beloved mother and his father marries with the cruel Lady Tremaine, who has the mean daughters Drizella and Anastasia. When her father dies, Cinderella becomes a servant in her own house and her stepmother and sisters feels only hatred for her. Cinderella's only friends are four mice, a dog and a horse that live in the house.

When the King decides that his son, the Prince, should get married, he invites every maiden in his kingdom to a ball in order that the Prince could choose his bride. However, Cinderella's cruel stepmother does not allow her to attend the ball. When Cinderella is hopeless of going to the Royal Ball, her Fairy Godmother appears and uses magic to help her to make her dream come true. But she must leave the ball before midnight since the magic effect will end.

"Cinderella" is one of the classics produced by Disney that belongs not only to my childhood, but also to my daughter and my son's childhoods. This adorable fairytale is wonderful and should be mandatory to every child in the world. I do not have much to say, since I believe that most of the readers certainly know the story of "Cinderella". I feel sorry for those that have written stupid things about this lovely fantasy – what a poor childhood they had. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "Cinderela" ("Cinderella")
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most magical of all the Disney movies for me. pretty excellent too
greatbritain19899 May 2005
Cinderella....

I hadn't watched this film for about five years the last time i saw it. The magic remains. There is something that definitely contains that storybook feel, the songs entertain and the secondary character's all please. The villains in the form of step sisters are perfectly evil and vile. Then there is the most magical of all Disney, the mice making the dress and well you know the rest. To sum up the four of the Disney princess movies are all great but this is a charming magical experience, watch and enjoy. Oh and of course, Cinderella is wonderful as the main character in the movie.

If you think about it Disney movies can really lost their charm. With Elene Wood and others the movie has such a feel to it, you simply can't help but smile

They say the moral of this story is that dreams come true. Of course in the real world some are believers others are hoper's. In this film it's even more the magical when her rainbow comes smiling.

And of course the rest is...Cinderella
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The thing-a-ma-bob that does the job is bibidi bobidi boo"
bkoganbing8 September 2013
Not the best of Walt Disney's feature length animated films, but any film that has Bibidi Bobbidi Boo and A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes has to rate as good in anyone's standards.

I saw this for the first time as a small child on Walt Disney's Disneyland hour and it was as effective on the big screen as well as the small. I don't think there's anyone who is literate in the western world who does not know the story of Cinderella. The story is intact and kept in the mythical medieval times it was written for.

As a subplot to the main story we have the story of Cinderella and her relationship with the animals around the house. The pecking order is dog, cat, mice with a horse thrown in for good measure. Naturally the evil stepmother who is voiced by Eleanor Audley has the cat as her favorite. What does that say about us cat lovers.

Ilene Woods voices and sings A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes which Perry Como made a big hit record of. Bibidi Bobidi Boo is sung by Verna Felton who voices the Fairy Godmother. She's unforgettable in this role although she's better known as Hilda Crocker, Spring Byington's Ethel Mertz on December Bride.

This is one eternal film that I hope my niece let's my new grandnephew check out and his sister or brother to be.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A deeply beloved animated classic
Jerry Ables4 March 2002
This is very easily one of my Disney animated films ever made because it is such a delightful adaptation of the classic fairy tale. The characters are a lot of fun to watch and the story was handled excellently. The songs in the movie are also very good to listen to and fit perfectly into the movie. I strongly recommend it to any Disney fan.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Poor Cinderelly!"
utgard1412 January 2016
Classic Disney adaptation of the Cinderella story. It's a charming, lovely fairy tale with romance and quite a bit of humor (perhaps too much for some tastes). It's not very fashionable today but it's one of those films that has stood the test of time and will continue to do so, long after one generation of whiners and malcontents has been replaced by another. The voice work is wonderful and the music enchanting. The memorable songs include "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes," "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo," and "So This Is Love." The animation is the strongest selling point. It's Golden Age Disney, so you know the characters and backgrounds are well-drawn with rich, gorgeous colors that really pop. The only negatives are the story's familiarity and a little too much comic relief provided by Cinderella's animal friends. It's a beautiful story, told in that inimitable classic Disney style. Recommended for everyone who isn't a cynic at heart.
Charming Fairy Tale
Michael_Elliott31 December 2013
Cinderella (1950)

*** (out of 4)

Very charming animated feature from Disney about the abused Cinderella who is kept from a Royal ball by her wicked stepmother. Thankfully, with the help from some birds and mice, Cinderella manages to get to the ball where she's a hit with the Prince. Cinderella isn't the most original Disney film when you consider that the story had already been filmed before and I'm sure most little girls already knew of it. With that said, as familiar as the story is, the movie still makes for an entertaining 74-minutes. I think the biggest reason for the success is that the story itself is one I'm sure most little girls dream about and I'm sure many can connect with the lead character. I think the film remains entertaining for boys as well thanks to the supporting players including the mice who easily steal the picture. The battles between the mice and the overweight cat were a lot of fun and there are some terrific sequences with the two including one where two of the mice try to get some jewelry but the cat isn't going to turn them over without a fight. Another great sequence happens towards the end when Cinderella is trapped in an attic and the mice must come to her rescue. The vocal performance are all extremely good with Ilene Woods standing out as the title character. The animation is at the highest level, which you'd expect from Disney. Again, I think this falls well short of being a "great" film but there's no doubt that it's fast, fun and contains some memorable characters and a charming story.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is the secret of Cinderella's charm?
ElMaruecan8221 February 2012
Ah, the Charming Prince … Charming because he's tall and handsome, and Prince as the son of an authoritarian figure, powerful and rich enough to guarantee a material comfort and young enough to have no responsibilities whatsoever and full time to have fun with his beloved one… well, there's a reason why this myth is still persistent in many girls' minds.

But let's not get too cynical, I guess there is another reason why "Cinderella" is one of the most famous and universally appealing stories, beyond the originality of the plot with the famous midnight strokes and the fancy ball dress, there is a simple and inspirational message. On the surface, it's about a young beautiful girl who'll get the Charming Prince thanks to something that makes her completely unique, but we all know it's the fairy tale definition of the wags to riches concept that paved the way to many underdog stories, providing hope for both women and men. Capra owes a lot to "Cinderella", "Rocky" is a 'Cinderella' story and it's not surprising that such a feel-good tale ended up being adapted into the (how fitting) twelfth animated Disney film, in 1950.

Now, is it accidental or logical that Walt Disney's "Cinderella" got itself the ninth place in the American Film Institute's Top 10 Animated films? I'm inclined to say both, not to diminish the merit of the film, but just to remind that there were many other Disney animated features that deserved this place, "The Jungle Book", "Sleeping Beauty" to say the least, or how about "The Little Mermaid" or even a forgotten classic non-Disney film titled "Gulliver's Travels"? Yes, there is an interesting divergence between the film's recognition and cultural status and its content, which is relatively banal considering the glorious collection of animated masterpieces the Disney Studios provided. I'm not saying I'm not a fan of "Cinderella", but I might be biased because my favorite version will forever be from Tex Avery, I'm talking of the legendary "Swing Shift Cinderella", which always made me howl of laughter.

I also was never a big fan of Disney princess-themed films, which I thought were too formulaic and never contributed to something new since "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". Anyway, I had the recent opportunity to watch both "Sleeping Beauty" and "Cinderella" and somewhere while viewing the second, I had to reconsider my opinion because something was strangely appealing to me I couldn't point my finger in. Was it Jacques and Gus, the funny little mice? Maybe. Was it the scene-stealing sequence featuring the Fairy Godmother, the pumpkin carriage and the unforgettable Boobiddy-boos? Probably. Or was it the intimidating Stepmother, Lady Tremaine and her shadowy bitchy look? Yes, I guess so. But still, we can find the same elements in other Disney classics. So I finally realized that the secret in "Cinderella" simply depended on the appeal of its titular character.

In many aspects, Cinderella embodies the same condition than Snow White, but there is something fresh and modern in her personality that appears right in the first scene, she's not overly romantic and she doesn't take her work as a servant without detachment, even humor… where am I going with that? Simply that we never feel sorry for "Cinderella", as she's not portrayed like a victim, something intelligently hinted in the early scenes. Take the first confrontation with the stepmother, when she's unfairly punished: Cinderella's eyes betray a feeling of true anger, anything but a desire to cry. When she learns that she might be the bride, she's so hypnotized by love that a beautiful smile enlightens her face, and she looks incredibly sensual. "Cinderella" is modern by today's standards without the archetypal free- spiritedness disguising a real spoiled personality a la Ariel or Jasmine. Cinderella is modern because she is practical.

This is important because the obligatory supporting characters fulfill their roles, the stepmother and her ugly daughters are the perfect contrast for Cinderella but the movie mostly works because it didn't forget to have a central character, realistic enough to inspire our empathy and needful enough to give the characters a moment to shine, whether it's from the precious help from the cute chipmunk-like talking mice or the providential help of Bruno, the brave dog. And another interesting thing about Cinderella is that for once, it doesn't need dragons, or killings to be entertaining, and although the last act is set in a house, it's an efficiently suspenseful climax, carried by the memorable character of the Grand Duke who's charged to try the shoes on every eligible girl.

The Grand Duke is an important character not just for his comical pairing with the King, but also for the way he inspires the most evil action from the stepmother, when she makes him fall and break the shoe, her look says a lot about how she doesn't give a damn about one's life as one of the most truly despicable villains from a Disney film (who'd call a cat Lucifer anyway?) and coincidentally It also allows the heroine to own her by giving the other shoe, which was already proving that she was the one. The close-up on the stepmother's face at that very moment is the highlight of the film as it finally puts an end to Cinderella's torment. The film doesn't forget to be a fairy tale, yes it's all about the myth of the Charming Prince, but the key that forges Cinderella's appeal is that she's not a passive character.

And they lived happily after … despite the predictable conclusion, "Cinderella" remains a timeless classic that gets in fact, better after each viewing, so there's no use to ask what the secret of Cinderella's charm is, the answer is in the question. It's precisely the unique charm of a universally, timelessly and (might I add) physically appealing character.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I know I'm going to take heat for this...
david-22714 July 2006
but "Cinderella" gets my vote, not only for the worst of Disney's princess movies, but for the worst movie the company made during Walt's lifetime. The music is genuinely pretty, and the story deserves to be called "classic." What fails in this movie are the characters, particularly the title character, who could only be called "the heroine" in the loosest sense of the term.

After a brief prologue, the audience is introduced to Cinderella. She is waking up in the morning and singing "A Dream is A wish Your Heart Makes." This establishes her as an idealist (and thus deserving of our sympathy). Unfortunately, the script gives us no clue as to what she is dreaming about. Freedom from her servant role? The respect of her step-family? Someone to talk to besides mice and birds? In one song (cut from the movie but presented in the special features section of the latest DVD) Cinderella relates her wish that there could be many of her so she could do her work more efficiently. You go girlfriend! In short, Cinderella is a very bland character. She passively accepts her step-family's abuse, escaping into her unspoken dreams for relief. She only asserts herself once by reminding her stepmother that she is still a member of the family. For this, she is given permission to go the ball if she completes her housework and finds something to wear, a token gesture that is clearly absurd to everyone except, of course, Cinderella. Can anyone see Belle or Jasmine being such a doormat? If Cinderella is dull, her male counterpart is nothing short of lifeless. The Prince in Cinderella gets no dialog and almost no screen time. We are given no indication if he is a good man, if he respects Cinderella or anything. All we know is 1) he is a prince and 2) he dances well. Heck, even the prince from "Snow White" got to sing a romantic song at least. Not only does this lack of development make the romance less interesting, it makes Cinderella look like either a social climber or an idiot, weakening her already tenuous appeal.

Perhaps realizing how dull the main characters were, the animators chose to give excessive screen time to the movie's comic relief, Cinderella's friends, the mice. Granted, these characters are amusing. Even so, when the comic relief steals the show from the principals, well, let's just say your story has some problems.

Dinsey loves to proclaim all its animated features as "masterpieces." While many of them are, there are some that do not deserve this appellate in any way. Cinderella is a prime example of this fact.
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that great... feels like tom and jerry
jumpelaj28 May 2013
I really wanted to like this movie but it is not romantic or classic. It adds nothing to the basic story of Cinderella that we have always heard. The scenes are very pretty and the animation is very good but the most part of the film focuses on the mouse-friends of Cinderella and the mean cat belonging to the step mother. It feels like tom and jerry and by the end of the film you are too tired of watching the animal characters. As another reviewer has mentioned there is no background given of Cinderella or any insight into who she is or what she is all about and no screen time what so ever to the prince himself. It starts well and then gets very very bland. The fairy Godmother is very lovable and so is the King but there is nothing that Cinderella herself brings to the movie. I would recommend watching Enchanted instead.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Cinderella" isn't Disney's best, but I think many people will be able to identify with the main character
cmcrazy813922 July 2013
Walt Disney's 12th full-length animated feature "Cinderella" (1950) was one of the first movies I ever saw as a kid along with "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (1937) and "Mary Poppins" (1964). If there's something we all know from our childhoods, it's that the first few movies we see (especially Disney movies) are going to remain in our memories for quite some time. It was a great film to watch as a child, and for the most part, I still liked the film looking back at it as an adult. Unfortunately, due to some serious story flaws, "Cinderella" doesn't stand the test of time as well as either "Snow White" or "Mary Poppins" do.

You know the story to this one. A young woman named Cinderella is forced to work as a maid to her evil stepmother and two stepsisters after her father passed away. Despite the terrible treatment she gets all around from them, Cinderella still remains kind and gentle. Furthermore, she at least has a few animal friends in the form of mice, birds, and other animals in the farm nearby. One day, the kingdom announces that the prince has returned and a ball will be held to celebrate this occasion. Every single person is to attend meaning Cinderella is eligible to go. However, her stepmother doesn't let her go and gives her more chores to do. That's when her fairy godmother comes in and….well, I think it's safe to say that you know the rest.

Let's discuss the biggest issue I have with "Cinderella" as an adult. It makes the serious mistake of placing half its focus on the side characters rather than on the main characters. I'm particularly disdainful of the fact that more than a quarter of the film is focused on the adventures with the mice and the cat and yet we only see Prince Charming for around 2-3 minutes. Now why did the storytellers feel like this was the right direction to go? They even spend more time on the King and the Grand Duke more than they do with Prince Charming. It gets to the point where it should be the King who should be married and not the prince. I realize that it was hard to draw realistic human characters when "Snow White" was being made. So there's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for Disney's storytellers to drop the ball like that.

In addition to the prince not having enough screen time or any personality, the mice have way more screen time than they should be having. And there's only so much of their cuteness that I can take. While these mice characters are at least useful to the main plot some of the time, a film that is titled "Cinderella" is supposed to be focused on Cinderella, not on a "Tom and Jerry" type subplot. The high-pitched voices on these mice don't help either. In fact, they make the problem even worse.

Now despite the criticisms that the main character Cinderella gets for not being an assertive enough character, I have to be honest and say that I still liked her character wise. I admired how after all the misery she has been put under from her step family, she still maintains her kindness and positivity almost all the time. If that wasn't enough, she also tries to spread that positivity to everybody and every creature around her, so that they can all get along. So for that aspect alone, I think she's a good role model for young girls to look up to.

Of course, I thought the stepmother was a well written Disney villain. Who wouldn't think so? She doesn't need any evil laughter to become more intimidating for our main character. The fact that she simply keeps forcing her to do more chores and not even give her any credit whatsoever is enough for me. Even though it's a little unusual that more time is spent with the King and the Grand Duke than on the Prince, I still think that they're enjoyable comic relief and they do keep the plot in motion as characters of this nature should be doing.

The soundtrack by Oliver Wallace has a couple memorable tunes that I'm sure most of us are familiar with such as "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo", "Sing Sweet Nightingale", "So This is Love", and "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes". Though it isn't as richly detailed as the earliest Disney pictures are, the animation here is nice and colorful in its own right. Overall, I think that "Cinderella" is okay. If it didn't make the serious storytelling errors that it did and if it focused more on the central characters, then I think "Cinderella" would be a more timeless Disney picture as a result. But for what it is at the time being, it's still a nice picture with a positive, harmless message for children about the importance of kindness and hard work.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So inspiring!
TheLittleSongbird24 February 2009
Cinderella was one of the first movies I ever saw, and to me it is timeless. It is a lovely looking film, with gorgeous animation. My favourite animation scenes were the dress scene- I just love those mice, and of course the iconic Bibbidy-Bobbidy-Boo sequence. The songs are also lovely, not as good as Snow White's, but they are a delight to sing, and are reminiscent of Tchaikovsky. A dream is a Wish and So this is love? are standouts. The characters are also a delight. Cinderella is idealistic and strong, and the mice provided great comic relief. The stepsisters were also well done, as well as Lucifer. But I loved the stepmother the best, she was really evil, in comparison to a great character in the name of the Fairy Godmother. It is true, the movie drags slightly, with the antics of the mice with Lucifer, but they were genuinely funny, so I don't care. I don't think it is overrated, underrated don't you mean? It rarely plays on television, but the really bad sequel does on Cinemagic on a regular basis. if you want a great Cinderella adaptation, try the wonderful Ever After, or the lavish Slipper and the Rose, which isn't as good. But whatever you do, avoid the sequel, which I have the mistake of owning, because you'll thank me. 9/10. Bethany Cox
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think they made the most considering the subject matter.
MartinHafer31 December 2014
"Cinderella" is among my wife's favorite Disney films and there is a lot to like about it. Although Cinderella herself is among the dullest characters (a problem with too many Disney princesses), the supporting characters are great. The step-mother is wickedly wonderful and Cinderella's friends, the mice, are delightful. It also is nicely animated and has some great songs that have lasted for many decades. But it also is not nearly as lovely to look at some of the earlier Disney films such as "Bambi" and "Pinocchio" and lacks their artistry. Additionally, my biggest complaint is that the subject matter is way, way too familiar. EVERYONE knows the story and there is little in the way of surprises. It's very good and is probably close to as good as anyone could do with the material.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming and delightful
Rectangular_businessman5 January 2013
This was such a charming and beautifully made animated film.

"Cinderella" is everything that an animated fairy-tale should be. It was delightful and highly enjoyable from beginning to end, showing in every single scene form this movie a "magic" that most of the animated films from the recent years lack, with wonderful designs and a exquisite level of detail in every frame.

Personally, I consider this movie to be the best adaptation of the classic fairy tale written by Charles Perrault. Movies like "Cinderella" shows why the time when this was made was considered "The Golden Age of Animation".
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slippery
tedg13 September 2008
Recently, I watched "Snow White" and was amazed again. So I had to follow it with this, which is a sort of nadir in the art of film.

The story, is actually every bit as promising as "Snow White" was. In fact to my mind it is better.

Unjust subordination. Magic. Love at first encounter. A sexual union. Loss (magic again). Search. Reward.

Now, in the source stories, there are plenty of versions that were explicitly bawdy in the search and what was attempted to fit into what among all the eligible maidens. But even without this, there is plenty of room for fable elaboration. You could take this in many, many directions. These things are clouds of rich quantum possibilities.

What does Disney do? Insert Tom and Jerry sequences. Where "Snow White" pulled short cartoons into long form film, this pulls by then well established long form animation back into short cartoon form.

5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful animation and an intimidating villain.
Animany941 October 2017
Cinderella is a classic Disney fairytale and has both the great villain who psychologically abuses our main character and the cute animal sidekicks to support our main character as seen in earlier classics.

Lady Tremaine is one of my all time favorite villains in Disney's animated movies. Her calm and collected persona even when being a monster towards Cinderella makes her intimidating and believable. I often see her as an inspiration to my absolute favorite Disney villain, Claude Frollo from "Hunchback..." (1996). They share a couple of traits. Eleanor Audley makes a brilliant develish voice for her. What did you expect from the voice of Maleficent?

As fantastic as the Disney magic is, it also has its drawbacks. Cinderella herself is a passive female main character. I admit that she is an innocent, kind-hearted, hardworking maid, and that is a great contrast to the spoiled stepsisters and Lady Tremaine's abusive nature, but it stops their. She is supported by her little animal sidekicks and her fairy godmother and never does take matters into her own hands.

It is justifiable as a product of the time and by the fact that it is a fairytale where everything magically comes true.

The one thing I find lacking is the development of the prince. He barely says anything and that annoys me a bit. His father and his right hand man speak way too much and that could easily have been more balanced.

Enough of my complaints. I think Cinderella is a great fairytale and I really like it. Go see it if you haven't already.
Innocent and simple
SlyGuy219 October 2016
It's not a complex tale, but it doesn't have to be. It's a simplistic tale about falling in love, and easy to follow. I don't like it as much as other films in it's genre, but it made me laugh a few times and kept me interested. Much like "Snow White", the simplistic plot is helped along by stunning animation and timeless characters. I forgot just how evil the Stepmother and Stepsisters were. But unlike "Dumbo" for instance, Cinderella actually has a personality. She's kind, nice, and optimistic, which makes you actually feel sorry for her when she's abused. A lot of people like to say that the Golden Age of Disney ended with "Bambi", I don't agree with that. Sure they had to do a few package films to still gain income during World War II, but the charm and quality is still alive with "Cinderella". Obviously, the idea of a Golden age is just opinion, but saying Disney peaked with "Bambi" is a little far-fetched to me.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very good movie that the current public ignores.
filipemanuelneto9 July 2016
One of the great classics of Disney Studios, this film adapts to the film one of the most famous tales of Charles Perrault: Cinderella, the girl who lives on the shadow of a cruel stepmother and her two sisters. Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson and Hamilton Luske, the film was produced by Walt Disney himself and has an experienced cast of voice actors, animators and a great soundtrack, created by Mack David, that earned three appointments for the Oscars in the categories of Best Sound, Best Soundtrack and Best Original Song (for the song "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo").

Personally, I consider this one of the best films that Disney Studio presented before converting to digital animation. The film managed to capture the magic of the story and present it in the same way that we do for our children. The film exudes charm, largely thanks to the way the animals become active characters, assuming very human attitudes and characteristics, something that wasn't usual in the movies that time. Nevertheless, some characters were poorly designed, and the King is the most obvious case: he only cares about the need to have many grandchildren quickly, in a caricature of the importance that royalty give to the dynastic stability. This is the most negative review I do to this movie, that can easily make forget this little flaws at a glance.

Currently, this film has been criticized due to the glamorous and very stereotypical way that presents the story. However, I consider this kind of criticism quite unfair. The mentalities has changed a lot since this film was shot. In fact, the story in which the film is based is also the honest but passive girl, far from pleasing the current feminism's of our culture of "woman-warriors", independent and sexualized. People cannot see this movie with the eyes of this time, but it does not remove merit to it.