Mouse Trouble (1944) Poster

(1944)

Excellent tom and jerry short
movieman_kev30 May 2005
One of Tom and Jerry's best shorts involves Tom ordering a book on how to catch mice. As Tom finds out, the advice is hardly fool proof and leads to some of the most memorable gags in the history of the cat and mouse duo. the toupee, the robotic female mouse, the pretending to read something uproarious gag, "Don't you believe it". It's all here. This short is excellence personified and a MUST HAVE for everyone with even a passing interest of Tom and Jerry shorts. This hilarious Oscar winning cartoon can be found on disc one of the Spotlight collection DVD of "Tom & Jerry"

My Grade: A+
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Had The Feel Of A Roadrunner Cartoon
ccthemovieman-110 July 2007
It's pretty sad when a cat has to send away for a book entitled, "How To Catch A Mouse," but that's what poor Tom did. By the way, the publisher of the book is "Random Mouse."

This cartoon reminded me early on of a Road Runner episode. The difference is that Tom plays Wile E. Coyote and Jerry is the elusive Road Runner. No matter what trap Tom sets, Jerry figures a way to beat it....or the trap backfires in predictable manner.

Yes, half the gags were too predictable but it was still entertaining and it did offer a few new wrinkles....like a windup Mae West doll which provides all the laughs in the final minute and is very original material.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tom's "how to" book must have been written by a mouse!
llltdesq3 April 2001
This cartoon won an Oscar in 1944 and it's easy to see why. Tom tries to use a book's advice on how to catch a mouse. Which works out very well for Jerry, but not for Tom! I suspect that the book was written by a mouse-maybe even Jerry himself. Tom certainly comes out the worse for wear here. I almost feel sorry for Tom. Almost. A very funny (and violent, even for a Tom and Jerry!) cartoon that runs frequently on the Cartoon Network. Recommended.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Come up and see me sometime.
CuriosityKilledShawn12 December 2006
Despite the rather generic title (there had already been a T&J short called Dog Trouble) this Oscar-winning cartoon proves that it's worth the Academy Award by being very funny and inventive.

Mouse Trouble has Tom order a book on how to catch mice (from Random Mouse Publishing nonetheless) and follow the foolproof instructions exactly as printed no matter how many times they prove to be completely ineffectual. Naturally they all come back to bite him in the ass. Poor Tom, he gets so beaten up in this one but never lets the pain lessen his enthusiasm.

Plenty of visual jokes and laughs in this one.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mouse Trouble
Michael_Elliott30 December 2015
Mouse Trouble (1944)

*** 1/2 (out of 4)

If you go through the Tom and Jerry shorts in the order that they were released you'll notice that 1944 had some of the greatest films. That trend continues here as Tom orders a book on how to catch a mouse, which he reads and tries to do but Jerry isn't going to go without a fight. This short is basically broken up into several chapters as Tom reads from the book, tries what it says and then moves onto the next chapter. For the most part this is just one violent attack on the poor cat after another and of course it's fast and funny. The highlight is certainly the sequence where Tom tries to use curiosity to catch the mouse. There's no doubt that the funniest thing is just that high-pitched scream from Tom.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very well done, possibly my favorite T&J episode
Horst_In_Translation4 November 2015
"Mouse Trouble" is a short film from over 70 years ago, already in color and with sound, and it features world's famous cat and mouse duo. Tom has ordered a book that helps him keep up-to-date with how to catch mice these days. Probably not a bad idea as he has failed so many times in the past. Sadly, Jerry is once again simply too smart for him and manages to get out of every dangerous situation and take revenge on Tom for trying to catch him. This is basically a collection of very short sketches, each one around 30 seconds. This is not a problem at all though as these are really creative, funny and also brought some new tricks to the table that hadn't been done in cartoons already. Interesting about this one is also that we see Tom with a ginger wig to hide his bald head at some point. I enjoyed it. The Academy obviously did as well. Thumbs up, this one is definitely worth the watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catching mice... by the book!
Tweekums31 August 2012
This 'Tom and Jerry' short opens with Tom getting a book on how to catch mice in the post. He quickly starts reading it only to notice that Jerry is reading it too! Tom chases him back to his mouse hole then sets about trying each of the ideas proposed in the book. Of course none work; when he sets a trap it doesn't go off even when Jerry tugs at the cheese on it but does go off when Tom touches it, next he sets a snare but Jerry switches the cheese for a bowl of cream and Tom gets caught himself... and so it goes on with each successive idea leading to Tom getting more and more damaged until he is ultimately blown to kingdom come.

The gags here might be fairly predictable but they come thing and fast and are pretty funny... and delightfully cruel. The thing I found funniest was that after shooting himself in the head and effectively scalping himself Tom wears a shocking red toupee... normally this would be a one shot gag but here he continues to wear it to the end of the cartoon! The animation here looks good; certainly much better than it was in their '60s outings.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable with an obvious title, but still very funny and well made
TheLittleSongbird7 July 2010
I am a fan of Tom and Jerry, and have been for as long as I can remember. Mouse Trouble is not the best of their cartoons, but I like it. Where Mouse Trouble is not so impressive is in its predictable story and its somewhat obvious and generic title. However, the animation is very good for its time, with lovely backgrounds and the characters are drawn well. The music is wonderful too, as it nearly always it, while the sight gags are clever if quite violent too, particularly the one with the robotic female mouse and "Mice are suckers for dames". The pacing is good as well, while both Tom and Jerry are very entertaining. And I do agree, it does have a Roadrunner vs. Wile E.Coyote feel to it. Overall, I liked it, but I don't consider it a favourite like I do with The Cat Concerto, Mice Follies or The Two Mouseketeers. 8/10 Bethany Cox
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well made, but I agree that it is awfully predictable.
MartinHafer15 September 2009
I love Tom and Jerry cartoons for two reasons. First, the original ones were unashamedly violent--funny and cartoony but violent. Second, the animation of their films from the early 40s to mid-50s was probably better than the shorts from Looney Tunes and Disney. However, despite these pluses, the films are amazingly predictable. Tom chases and tries to kill Jerry and Jerry ends up beating the snot out of Tom instead is the plot of 90% of these films and MOUSE TROUBLE is no exception. It seems odd to me, then, that Tom and Jerry actually took home more Oscars than the Looney Tunes people for all their cartoons during the the 40s and 50s. Why? I dunno. They sure were animated nicely but they just weren't especially novel. Perhaps the Oscar people just hated cats!

As for this particular film, I've seen it many times. It's the one where Tom buys a book on how to catch a mouse (has such a book EVER really been written?!?). And, by using the book, Tom STILL gets clobbered by Jerry and proves he's just a boob. Aside from the great animation (Tom and Jerry cartoons pre-1950 are the most beautiful), I also liked that there was better than usual continuity. When Tom has the top of his head shot off, he wears a toupee the rest of the film to hide it! Clever--just not earth-shaking.

By the way, me divulging that Jerry beats Tom--is this REALLY a spoiler?!?!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too predictable to be very funny.
BA_Harrison22 March 2008
Tom once again attempts to trap Jerry, this time using a variety of ingenious methods which are described in his recent book purchase, entitled 'How To Catch A Mouse'.

An episodic T&J caper (as opposed to the usual, single, prolonged chase scene), Mouse Trouble is basically a series of quick fire gags, which sees Tom's different traps backfiring in amusing ways. I use the word amusing, because, unfortunately, they are very rarely hilarious, being way too predictable in their outcome.

This style of cartoon would be done much better (and again and again) years later by the brilliant Wile E.Coyote and Roadrunner.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cat Trouble (Contains Spoiler)
TheMan305112 November 2002
There is a scene here where the "How To" book talks about curiosity so Tom begins laughing at a book and Jerry curious as always decides to see what Tom is laughing at but every time he gets near the book Tom moves to another direction. Finally Jerry gets in top of the book and as he reads Tom shuts the book close and when he opens it Jerry is looking at something inside his covered hand. Tom is the one curious now. So Jerry does the same thing Tom did to him but finally Jerry decides to show Tom what he has inside of hand. When Tom peeks inside Jerry punches him in the eye!

HILARIOUS!

3(***)out of 4(****)stars
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.