The Song of Bernadette (1943) Poster

Reverence with dignity
mermatt1 August 1998
This is probably the best film on a religious topic ever made. Whereas many other films of this type wallow in sentiment which is a substitute for genuine reverence, this film is able to underplay the emotions and thus gives its subject a great deal of dignity. Jennifer Jones is totally convincing as the naive innocent who has an incredibly extraordinary experience which changes her life as well as the lives of everyone she touches and the lives of everyone who hears of her. The rest of the cast is also superb, including Lee J. Cobb as the careful doctor, Vincent Price as the petty politician, Charles Bickford as the stern priest, and Gladys Cooper as the envious nun. The FX are tender instead of dazzling, and thus they convince in a way that many FX totally miss. The settings, atmosphere, music, and cast add up to a truly moving and profound experience that few other films have achieved.
74 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it makes you want to believe
mark-24326 February 1999
I'm not Catholic, but this film makes you want to believe the whole thing. I've never been so moved by a story demonstrating the incredible power of innocence and simplicity as performed by Jennifer Jones in this faithful adaptation of the true story of the now-canonized Bernadette Soubirous. Beyond this story, the sets, performances, narrative flow, and in particular, the heavenly-inspired music of Alfred Newman is nothing short of transporting. Some may find the movie overlong, but I cherished every character and angle to the story--much like enjoying the book with all of its detail. This effort demonstrates more than just the quality of the golden age of cinema and 20th Century Fox, but it adds a cast and crew clearly inspired to tell this true story like no other has been told before or since.
77 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is truly one of the all time classic treasures of film making!
ozthegreatat423305 April 2007
I have read where several people claim that there are flaws and imperfections in this film. But that is just not so. Even if you do not agree with the subject matter, and I do not come down on either side here, even though a catholic, it is simply a matter of capturing the emotional perfection of the story. Jennifer Jones had many fine roles in her career, but, as is all to often not the case, she honestly deserved the Best Actress Oscar for this her finest screen moment. Guided under the very skilled hand of one of Hollywood's often unsung but greatest director's Henry King this motion picture shines with a divine radiance all its own.

The performances of the other cast members were also on a par with the lead role. I will here only mention a few. Charles Bickford as the priest who first scoffs and eventually becomes a firm believer was his very best. Vincent Price, who is always able to play a villainous role to perfection was excellent as the doubting prosecutor who cannot be convinced. And Lee J. Cobb turns in an excellent performance also. But the second kudos of the film go to Gladys Cooper, who should have won a best supporting award as the old nun, who cannot accept Bernadette for who and what she is.

Finally, a note for the person who said the was no song in the movie and questioned the title. The whole film was a song or more correctly a psalm of faith, and the psalms were never sung but spoken. The music of ALfred Newman again underscores the action of this film perfectly. It is high on my top twenty-five films of all time.
29 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is now one of my 10 favorite movies ever.
EdCurtis1 August 1999
I recently bought this movie, and just finished watching it the first time. All I can say is, WOW! Why doesn't Hollywood make movies like this anymore? I know, there's more money in showing gratuitous sex and violence...at least that's what they tell themselves. But for my hard-earned dough, nothing tops a film about the purity and innocence of faith, and that's what 'The Song of Bernadette' is all about. It's also good for quite a few laughs, as you see the imperial prosecutor's scheming against Bernadette fail time and time again. :)

My only complaint is that toward the end of the movie, I found myself wondering what was left to tell. Thankfully, I liked the answer and won't be complaining next time I watch it.

This film is a must-see, especially for my fellow Catholics. It's made my top 10 list...why not give it a chance to make yours?
68 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Young Jennifer Jones Something To Behold
ccthemovieman-117 June 2008
Despite being a little long at almost three hours and not all that exciting, I will watch this again if for no other reason than to see a young, beautiful, sweet Jennifer Jones once again in her screen debut.

Much of this film is a frustrating experience as the sincere and honest "Bernadette" (Jones) is not believed by the powers-that-be: the local politician and clergyman. That disbelief goes on and on and on as Bernadette sees the image of the Virgin Mary, and cannot convince politician-staunch atheist Vincent Price and some stubborn heads of the Catholic Church that she's seeing exactly what she's stating.

The real story goes that Bernadette had conversations with Mary (only referred to as "the lady" in the movie) for 15 straight days and miracles took place where the two talked.

The acting in here is very good, top to bottom. Included on that this of good actors, but who not any billing on the DVD cover, is the great Anne Revere, one of the most interesting and underrated actresses of her day.

The cinematography also is very good and can be easily under-appreciated while one gets involved in the story. This is definitely a movie to check out, whatever ones theological beliefs, for the acting, photography, involving story and, of course, to see Jones in her youthful beauty and innocence.
30 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A story of unrelenting faith
AppleBlossom30 December 2004
The 'Song of Bernadette' gives us (as viewers) a little insight into the life of one of the best known saints in the Catholic religion….'St Bernadette'. It was from Bernadette's efforts and deep faith, the spring of healing waters at Lourdes were given to us. From Our Lady and through Bernadette the spring started to flow….to this very day it continues to help the faithful who are sick and disabled.

A beautifully scripted film, it tells the story of Bernadette Soubirous, a young French girl who was chosen above all others to bestow her eyes on the Mother of Christ. One day in a grotto in the province of Lourdes France she has a vision of Our Lady – The Immaculate Conception. The Story follows her journey from poor peasant girl till she enters the convent.

One of the many reasons why I love this film is because of the sincerity and unrelenting faith one person can have, faced with so much doubt and ridicule shown by others. The performance of Jennifer Jones is flawless, proved in the fact she received an Oscar for her efforts. The other cast members were brilliant too; each individual character portrayed their role with conviction. So many wonderful actors; Anne Revere, Vincent Price, Charles Bickford, Lee J. Cobb and Gladys Cooper in support. The production, especially the set designs give a realism to the actual time period of France in the 1800's. Altogether this film accumulated 4 Academy Awards, and 3 of them unsurprisingly going to production; Cinematography, Art Direction and Best Musical Score. I give it a well deserved 9/10.
42 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies I've seen.
UAF-Nanooks7 October 2001
I can not say anything bad about this movie. It held me spellbound for its entire length and it is a long one, 2 3/4 hours. My 4 year old son woke me up at 5:30am and, not being able to go back to sleep, I found this movie starting at 6am. I will forever be grateful to him for the interruption in my slumber. The acting, backdrop, sound track and content was wonderful. The look on Bernadette's face when she sees the beautiful lady was amazing. I cried a few times and wondered why, when people belive in God so much, they would doubt this young lady's vision. The innocence portrayed by Miss Jones was so moving and I am very happy to hear that Mary Bernard was chosen to be a saint. If you haven't seen this movie please look for it for you will not be disappointed.
44 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Visit From The Virgin Mary
bkoganbing1 June 2007
Bernadette Soubirous, 1844-1879, was a modest, shy, retiring religious girl of strong convictions in her faith who would have passed through this world unnoticed by many, but for an incident in her hometown of Lourdes in France. If you believe it was all a hallucination than this film will mean nothing to you.

But there are a great many people who believe that the pious young lady was chosen for a visit from the Virgin Mary one day when she was an adolescent teen. The Virgin Mary appeared to her several times in that location which in fact was the town garbage dump. In that spot an underground spring was discovered that had healing properties.

The film is based on a historical novel by Franz Werfel and Darryl F. Zanuck decided on an unknown to play young Bernadette. The girl chosen was Phyllis Isley of Oklahoma whose name was changed to Jennifer Jones and in her third film and first under her new identity, Jennifer Jones walked off with Best Actress Award of 1943. She beat out such seasoned veterans as Ingrid Bergman, Joan Fontaine, Jean Arthur, and Greer Garson. I'm sure it helped Jones that Fontaine and Garson were the previous two year's winners, that the film was such a hit, and that David O. Selznick had totally flipped for her and used every bit of influence to get that Oscar.

With all of that and a great performance as well. Jones captures both the simple beauty and piety of the young girl who may have been given insights into matters spiritual. Playing the Virgin Mary in an unbilled part was Linda Darnell, a fact I believe that did not come out until after Ms. Darnell's death in 1963.

Director Henry King gave his young unknown a lot of support by assembling a thoroughly professional cast without a bad performance in the lot. Such people as Lee J. Cobb, Vincent Price, Charles Dingle, Gladys Cooper, Roman Bohnen, and Anne Revere were just perfect in their parts.

As was Charles Bickford in the role of the priest and director of the Catholic school in Lourdes. He's very skeptical at first, but becomes her firm champion. Jones and Bickford became extremely close in this film, she looked up to Bickford for the rest of his life as a father figure in Hollywood. Bickford was nominated for Best Supportin Actor, but lost to Charles Coburn and Cooper and Revere both received nominations for Best Supporting Actress, but lost to Katina Paxinou.

Even with a more recent film telling the Bernadette Soubirous story that came out in 1989 with Sydney Penny, this film is still owned and shown in many Catholic churches and schools to this day. But even the most hardened of unbelievers will be blown away by Jones's performance.
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jennifer Jones' deeply prayerful performance silently touches the hearts of all who watched this beautiful film...
Nazi_Fighter_David3 December 1999
Religious figures became big success in distinguished films like "Going My Way," "The Keys of the Kingdom," "The Bells of St. Mary's," and "The Song of Bernadette."

The film is the story of a simple peasant girl who wins the quality of a 'Saint.' Bernadette was born in an isolated French village called Lourdes, in January 7, 1844...

Jennifer Jones, in a well deserved Academy Award as Best Actress, performs Bernadette Soubirous, the eldest of 9 children from a poverty-stricken family, who would not find happiness in this world, but only in the next...

In 1858, at the age of 14, while gathering firewood, the pious Bernadette had numerous visions of a 'beautiful Lady' on a hillside, on the left bank of a stream... She reveals her identity with the words: "I am the Immaculate Conception."

Bernadette, faithfully, takes great care that her statements never exceed precisely what she has seen... The entire region is soon in an uproar over the events... Bernadette stands firmly defending the 'genuineness' of these visions despite strong opposition from her frightened parents (Anne Revere and Roman Bohnen), the local clergy (Charles Bickford) and civil authorities as the Imperial prosecutor, Vital Dutour (Vincent Price).

Events have become more stressful... Interrogations and prison are a constant threat... The small town is also put under strain... Swelling to several times its population, tensions increase as expectations on one poor child carrying the residents and visitors on an emotional roller coaster...

To escape public attention, Bernadette goes to a quieter life... She is granted admission into the novitiate in the Convent of the Sisters of Nevers... There she completes her religious instruction and passes her remaining years in prayer and seclusion... She was happy and loved for her kindliness and wit, despite almost constant sickness and pain, and despite Sister Marie-Thérese (Gladys Cooper) repeated harassment... This nun couldn't believe in her... She always wanted a proof...

Jennifer Jones is superb as the honest girl who declares that she is not very brilliant, but who never hesitates from her insurance of a miraculous contact...

Henry King's sensitive direction is marked by energy and interest, maintaining a steady clear vision on the heart of the story and its characters...

Alfred Newman's highly music is tender and spiritual...

I highly recommend this beautiful movie... And for the readers who are interested in Bernadette's story, I add that the town of Lourdes, situated at the foot of the Pyrénées, southwest of Toulouse, becomes a pilgrimage town... The underground spring in the grotto, revealed to Bernadette, was declared to have miraculous qualities... And since then this 'healing place' becomes a major pilgrimage center for sick or disabled multitudes...

Bernadette was canonized by Pope Pius XI in 1933... Her feast day is February 18, in France and the chapel of the St. Gildard Convent at Nevers, contains her holly body...
62 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One sublime scene
honkus11 April 2005
The weighty subject matter and emotional performances overshadow the film's flaws, which are numerous. Characters and events are not adequately introduced, leaving the viewer with a persistent, though not overwhelming, confusion. It runs a little long, and at times loses focus. But "The Song of Bernadette" has much to redeem it. This is true black and white cinematography, and Henry King uses highly effective lighting techniques to enhance his actors' performances. The bright lighting and soft focus on Jennifer Jones, for example, makes her angelic pose of peace believable.

One scene near the end of the film is utterly beautiful, and truly makes the movie. It takes place at a convent after Bernadette has been accepted as a nun. Sister Marie Vauzous, who has doubted Bernadette the entire film, stands over her in a pose of authority and accuses her of trying to get attention. Sister Marie is lit from an angle at sharp focus, which accentuates the lines and imperfections of her face as she asks for "proof" and laments about her own suffering. Meanwhile, Bernadette is lit straight on with a soft focus as usual, and the smoothness of her peaceful, humble face is perfect and divine. She agrees with Sister Marie that she is "a hundred times more worthy" than herself, all the while hiding the true nature of her own suffering. It is at this point that the Christian theme of salvation through suffering which has meandered its way through the film really makes its point, and it is a genuinely moving moment.
58 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heaven Still Calls us to Make God Primary in Our Lives
haashaus24 January 2006
This is a true story. Why do I say so? Its evidence located and found in all the newspaper archives in this and surrounding towns in that time. Thousands of local retold accounts come together here.

Franz Werfel, a Jew, escaping from the Nazis was pursued across Europe and delayed just short of fleeing to freedom across the Spanish border. He laid low in a small border town at the foot of the Pyranees Mountains, unable to cross for all the border closures by Nazi sympathizers. He knew nothing of a great story which took place some 85 years earlier [1858] in the little town in which he was in hiding known as Lourdes. Franz learned of this piece of local history while staying in Lourdes, and made a pact with God, that if he were made able to cross into Spain, and henceforth make passage to America, he would write this story and make it known throughout the world.

Soon he found a way to the United States, and within a few weeks, he had begun his historical account, meticulously researched. His book is titled: "The Song of Bernadette." The movie does copious justice to the book. See it. You'll love the message of faith. Heaven is powerful, and we are God's children.
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"To those who believe in God,no explanation is necessary.To those who do not believe in God,no explanation is possible"
Desertman8424 September 2012
The Song of Bernadette is a film which tells the story of Saint Bernadette Soubirous,who reported eighteen visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary from February to July 1858 in Lourdes, France.It stars Jennifer Jones as Bernadette together with William Eythe,Charles Bickford and Vincent Price. The film was adapted by George Seaton from a novelization of Bernadette's story,written by Franz Werfel; and was directed by Henry King.

The movie is a reverent recounting of the life of St. Bernadette of Lourdes. As a teen-aged peasant girl growing up in the tiny French village of Lourdes in the 19th century, Bernadette experiences a vision of the Virgin Mary in a nearby grotto. At least, she believes that she did. The religious and political "experts" of the region cannot accept the word of a silly little girl, and do their best to get her to renounce her claims. Her vision becomes a political hot potato for many years, with the authorities alternately permitting and denying the true believers' access to the grotto. No matter what the higher-ups may think of Bernadette, there is little denying that the springs of Lourdes hold some sort of recuperative powers for the sick and lame. Eventually, Bernadette dies, never faltering in her conviction that she saw the Blessed Virgin.Years later, she is canonized as a saint, and the Grotto of Lourdes remains standing as a permanent shrine.

The Song of Bernadette is not a great film, but it is a very good film. It is characteristic of the kind of earnest prestige or super-spectacle picture that was always inspire people to have faith in God.Jones was truly outstanding in her portrayal of a French girl who saw visions of Virgin Mary in 19th century France.Overall,it is one movie that can truly touch a person's heart and make one examine his/her relationship with God and devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

As one would put it,"To those who believe in God, no explanation is necessary.To those who do not believe in God, no explanation is possible"
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Glorious, Moving Experience
Alvin67616 January 2008
This movie is one of TWentienth Century Fox finest ever productions.

Jeniffer Jones, just 23 at the time gives a superb performance as Bernadette Soubirous, and Vinncent Price as the District Prosecuotr, Gladys Cooper as Sister Marie and Chjarles Bickford as The Dean all give good accounts of themselves.

The film is gloriously photographed and the direction by Henry King is outstanding. One scene in Particular is wonderous.

It is right at the end Bernadettes death scene is wonderfully performed by Jones and Cooper.

Jones rightly deserved her Academy Award for Best Actress and the film won 3 other Oscars too.

I have never cried so much while watching a movie before, but Song Of Bernadette is so wonderfully moving and while a religiously themed movie it stays away from the heavy preaching of Kings later Stroy of REuth (1960) and tells its story in a simple uncomplicated fashion.

Song of Bernadette deserves its reputation as the finest biographical movie directed be Henry King, and it also will move you, and make you think that sometimes miracles do happen!!!!
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
20th Century Giant
Johnny B25 December 1998
Now here is one of them films which are really suitable for all: I mean regardless of age, gender and religious opinions. This is one of the films which grip you from beginning to end, and in which you are thoroughly absorbed. It is the story of one girl who fought against the world to prove herself true and who finally succeeded, even though it was not of much use to her. Jennifer Jones gives the performance of a lifetime, literally shining in every scene. Her personification of the young French saint is spotless. Surely this is one of her best roles, as the movie is one of the very best. Charles Bickford is great as the dean of Lourdes and Gladys Cooper gives a memorable performance as Sr. Marie Thérèse, not to mention the great Vincent Price as the hateful, yet intelligent Imperial Prosecutor.

The town of Lourdes is taken back to the 1850s in this faithful re-telling of the famous story of the apparitions of the Immaculate Conception way back in the last century. The plot spans a number of years, yet it never lingers. It is just breathtaking. The strong will of the feeble and simple Bernadette is the highlight throughout all of the movie.

I was very much impressed by the character of Sr. Marie Therese. From the beginning to nearly the very end she is a devil in robes of a nun, always finding something new by which to ill treat the poor Bernadette. Her character reflects a lot that of the dean, however she was more blinded by jealousy than him. But, like him, she finally finds the proof she has been always seeking - the secret of suffering in silence - and from then on (that is to say the last 7 minutes of the film) she becomes Bernadette's best friend and helper.

This movie is definitely a winner in all respects and its Oscar awards for … were all vell deserved. A must to all the lovers of good, great stories.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Song of Bernadette:" Shines ****
edwagreen1 March 2006
Jennifer Jones won the 1943 Oscar in an upset victory over Ingrid Bergman for "Whom the Bell Tolls." Though the award came as a surprise, it was well deserved. This film was the first for Miss Jones under his new stage name. Previously, she had been known as Phyllis Isley.

The story, with an all-star cast, deals with a young peasant girl's vision in 1858. Scorned by many who never believed her, Bernadette suffered practically every minute for her short life.

As always, Anne Revere was her sympathetic, understanding mother. Miss Revere was just made for those kind of parts. Charles Bickford was an understanding priest, Vincent Price was his usual nightmarish self but this time disguised as being a religious person. His scene where he reveals a terminal illness was chilling but marvelously portrayed.

Jones' simplicity will be best remembered. Her piety, courageousness and convictions stood out. She would not let adversity change her determination even when her health tragically fails.

Acting kudos must again go to Gladys Cooper, who portrayed a vicious nun. You feel it when she says that her eyes were burning. Her jealously and contempt for poor Bernadette is realized with a burning performance. She could never understand that with her devotion, she was not chosen to see the vision. Cooper gave a truly standout performance as an unforgiving, self-righteous individual who used religion as a pretext to show her disdain for others.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ave Maria...
raven_blood8810 April 2008
This is by far one of the most wonderful pieces of film to ever come out of the 40's. Brimming with beauty and gorgeous story, this film depicts the life of the lovely saint, Bernadette.

Bernadette is a poor girl, who isn't very good at school, due to her poor health. One day, while helping her sister and schoolmate gather firewood, Bernadette sees the Blessed Virgin, Mary, standing in a nasty old grotto. Due to her poor schooling, Bernadette doesn't even know who the woman is, but - upon Mary's request - Bernadette continues to come and see her for 15 days.

On one of these days, Mary commands a confused Bernadette to dig for a spring, and to wash herself in it. Realizing there is no water nearby, Bernadette digs into the ground and begins smearing mud on her face and arms. The crowd makes fun of her, and Bernadette's family takes her away. Later on, however, water begins flowing from the spring Bernadette dug up, and miracles occur. (To this day, miracles still occur with this water.) Contrary to what some reviewers may say, this film does not make Mary out to be "greater than Jesus." Rather, it makes her out to be a symbol of hope, and a gift from God. This film is a must-see for Catholics and Christians. Tears and goosebumps are guaranteed... possibly even increase in faith. (I cry every time I see the scene where the mother dips her dying, crippled baby into the water, uttering the little prayer: "Take him O Lord, and give him back to me." Whereupon, shortly after this, the baby is restored to perfect health, and grows to walk.) The acting in this film is astounding. 90% of the time, it's hard to believe they're even acting at all. And the music is top notch. Give this one a watch... and pray to Our Lady for grace to become closer to Christ. 10/10
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding Performances
spompermayer25 October 2000
Song of Bernadette has a terrific cast. The story is an idealized re-telling of the events that occurred in Lourdes in the late 1850's. Good performances by Vincent Price and a wonderful portrayal of the wicked Mother Vazau by Gladys Cooper! Hauntingly good score as well.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remarkably accurate
train46429 April 2001
Having just gotten back from Lourdes, I am amazed at how accurately the sets were for this film. Since it was made in 1943, it is impossible that it was shot on site (and most films weren't in those days). The grotto and the setting in the town were just as it is today. Even the souvenir shops are the same!
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A miracle
TheLittleSongbird3 June 2017
Despite being a huge classic film fan, it took me a while to get round to watching 'The Song of Bernadette'. Partly because of being so busy, but also, although being an admirer of a lot of the cast and crew, finding that the subject matter didn't appeal to me for a while.

Goodness knows why though, because finally getting round to it 'The Song of Bernadette' was a miracle of a film. Sure it is a long film, perhaps a little too long (the only thing that counts as a debit against it for me, and it is so small because what it does right is enough to fill a novel), but contrary to one might think its point of view that it portrays is valid and very sincerely put across, not heavy-handedly or in a way that's biased. It also, from personal view, doesn't contrive to move audiences, or convert viewers and sceptics to its way of thinking. The emotional impact comes from how well it explores its subject matter and how much the sincerity and poignancy shines through every frame and performance.

Before one forgets, 'The Song of Bernadette' is a surprisingly quite faithful account of the story of Bernadette Soubirous, which is an amazing story in itself, some may ask how idealised it is, actually considering other films based on true stories/history etc and the subject matter it doesn't actually feel that idealistic. It manages to do the seemingly impossible in making capture the main events, spirit, background and atmosphere of Werfel's novel and making everything cohesive while condensing things necessarily to the point from a book so rich in detail to the point of bloat.

There are so many that make 'The Song of Bernadette' a film miracle. The luminous black and white photography wholly deserved its Oscar, that, the atmospheric lighting and sumptuous production values help make 'The Song of Bernadette' one of that year's (that half of the decade even too) most visually beautiful films. Alfred Newman's score adds so much to the film to the extent that the film may have been a completely different one without it, and it's hardly surprising it's garnered a soundtrack album of its own considering how well it stands up as music on its own. It's stirring and achingly gorgeous music, some of my favourite work of his.

Scripting doesn't resort to preachy sermonising or bias, instead it's very intelligently written and as aforementioned the argument it makes is valid and sincere, and it makes sense. The dialogue itself does provoke thought some time after. The story is incredibly moving and inspiring, also being careful not to paint its characters too black and white. Despite being a long film, the production values, music and performances are so wonderful, Henry King's direction so sensitive and the emotions so high that one is riveted throughout.

Jennifer Jones, in her debut performance (in her own name that is, having done a few other previous projects under a different name), seldom gave a more touching or better performance, of her five Oscar nominations this was the only time she won one and it was a very deserved win from personal view.

In support she is particularly well aided by Gladys Cooper, on fiery form, Vincent Price, impeccably giving his character menacing colour and unusual restraint, and Charles Bickford, suitably sympathetic. The Virgin is sincerely portrayed as a symbol of hope by Linda Darnell, am also of the opinion that the film and role were not trying to say anything comparing who was greater between Mary and Jesus, it was just a symbol.

Overall, a miracle of a film. Whether one is converted is very dependent on the person, personally I watched 'The Song of Bernadette' expecting to be challenged but still admire it a good deal, finished it feeling very moved and inspired. 10/10 Bethany Cox
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jennifer.Jones Oscar
williwaw19 March 2011
Jennifer Jones was groomed by David Selznick and was loaned by Selznick to his Brother In Law William Goetz to star in this beautiful film produced via 20th Century Fox and directed by Henry King. While Bill Goetz and David Selznick and Daryl Zanuck were non Catholics they gave this movie loving and tender care and is a moving and spiritually uplifting story of the meek peasant girl who witness the apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Ms. Jones won the Oscar for her moving and sincerely lovely performance and never once do we feel we are witnessing an Actress but a Saint. I liked the great black and white cinematography. Most of the film was shot on the old 20th back lot now Century City. The Song of Bernadatte is a credit to the 20th Studio and to Mr. King who would go on to direct Jennifer Jones in the 50's Love Is A Many Splendored Thing with William Holden and the 60's Tender Is The Night with Joan Fontaine and Jason Robards and Paul Lukas. As David Selznick would comment in one of many famous memos " Henry King gets the best results with Jennifer Jones of any Director."

Highly recommended
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
zava_t4 November 2008
I loved this movie from the very beginning to the end. I think the acting was impeccable on Jennifer Jones' part. I'm definitely no movie critic, but this movie spoke to me on some level. I was in tears by the end, and so was my husband (don't tell him I shared that with the web).

While the movie did run a bit long, I appreciated every second. I fell in love with the characters. I wanted Bernadette to be vindicated. I was happy to see that the governmental authority failed to stop Bernadette or her belief in what she seen and felt in her heart.

I wish that the average person today could fall in love with a classic movie like this. It's too bad that sex, violence, and dirty language have infiltrated Hollywood so completely.

This is definitely my favorite movie of all time.

There is something very inspiring and endearing about this movie.
Deeply Moving and Not To Be Missed
david-puckett9 July 2003
I remember seeing this film on television in the early sixties when I was about five or six. Even though the subject matter was beyond me at the time, the visual images and the music was deeply embedded in my mind. Now the movie has been released on DVD and I have seen the movie as an adult for the first time. Having read several books on the subject over the years I was prepared for viewing it. I was not disappointed. One of the most marvelous things about this film is the musical score. Without the score the movie would be half of what it is. Jennifer Jones is wonderful in her debut appearance and the supporting cast includes such veterans as Vincent Price, Charles Bickford and Anne Revere. Regardless of your religious convictions most people will find this film to be a wonderfully spiritual experience.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It made me very much aware of my faith even as a child.
l_potter4 December 1999
Even though I am a lifelong Methodist, I remember being profoundly moved when I saw the film in the theatre as a child. I had heard a little of the story from my parents and I sat spellbound by the film the entire time. Jennifer Jones sensitive performance was definitely Academy Award quality. The casting was superb and made me feel I was there as it was happening. I have read the book and have a copy of the movie. I watch it often and again am always moved.
Inspiring & Moving Bio. with Stellar Cast
dougandwin2 August 2004
Filmed brilliantly in Black and White, with one of the best musical scores ever (kudos to Alfred Newman) "The Song Of Bernadette" is an inspiring classic brilliantly acted, and regardless of anyone's religious association, the story is inspiring. The life of Bernadette Soubirous has been well-documented before, and the film adheres very closely to it. Jennifer Jones gives an amazing performance in her debut role, and the supporting cast is magnificent. Vincent Price is superb as the agnostic, while Charles Bickford as Bernadette's priest is absolutely brilliant. I do not know if Gladys Cooper won an Award for her role as the Mother Superior, but she should have!! All-in-all, it was a flawless movie, and one could go on singing the praises of people like Ann Revere as Bernadette's mother and even William Eythe (whatever became of him after this?). If you get an opportunity so see it again, do so!
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A breathe taking Film.
byron93811 January 2005
The Song of Bernadette in many words is very holy and blessed. This movie is beautiful. It gives you hope. Jennifer Jones turns in a great performance as Bernadette. Jennifer Jones's first title role is well done and well played out. Charles Bickford plays a stern Priest of the church. As always in Charles Bickford films he's steady and very good. Gladys Cooper in her very strict mood as the Sister who scolds Bernadette. The great Anne Revere is a very concern mother and turns in a great performance. No wonder The Song of Bernadette won four Oscars. One thing that moves me. Is the general characters in the film. They are common people and the story is worthy of great gratitude.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.