George Washington Slept Here (1942) Poster

Amusing comedy has some real laughs...especially from Percy Kilbride...
Neil Doyle22 April 2001
I've always enjoyed stories about a couple moving to the country to either fix up an old house or deal with a house that turns out to be haunted, etc. Along these lines I think of films like 'Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House' and/or the suspenseful 'The Uninvited'. But, of course, with Jack Benny as the star you know you're in for comedy when he and his attractive wife (Ann Sheridan) decide to shed city dweller status and move to a more rural setting. Sheridan has her heart set on a ramshackle old house in Connecticut that seems to be falling apart--but with the help of movie magic she fixes it up and--presto--looks like something out of a House Beautiful catalog. The comedy is outdated and some of it falls short of the mark, but not when neighbor Percy Kilbride is around. Reportedly, Jack and Ann found it hard to keep a straight face when Kilbride cracked some of his dryly humorous observations (in Pa Kettle style). Benny ruined many a take when he was unable to stifle a laugh. Some of the slapstick he and others are subjected to is painful, but all in all this is diverting enough entertainment. Ann Sheridan is a sheer pleasure to watch and Charles Coburn shows up as a story-telling uncle who turns out to be a real phony. Hattie McDaniel and Franklin Pangborn add to the fun, making it worth a peek. One of Benny's better films.
27 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
An Underrated Comic Gem
gftbiloxi4 May 2005
George S. Kauffman & Moss Hart's GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE was one of Broadway's most successful comedies of the early 1940s, a bright and witty tale with a slightly Americana tone that World War II audiences found particularly appealing. The film version, sparked up by the completely unexpected chemistry of dry-humored Jack Benny and "Oomph Girl" Ann Sheridan, is every bit as charming.

When New Yorkers Bill and Connie Fuller (Benny and Sheridan) are evicted from their apartment (their third change of address in less than a year), wife Connie decides what they need is a place in the country... and buys an incredibly dilapidated house where George Washington is said to have once slept. Needless to say, husband Bill is horrified--and keeps on being horrified as the price of renovation skyrockets.

Benny was most popular when he played himself in roles tailored to his talents, but although this role is a bit atypical his talents are well suited to the constantly harried Bill Fuller--and he has remarkable rapport with co-star Ann Sheridan, an underestimated actress who shows tremendous flair for comedy as his determinedly optimistic wife. Both are well supported by a cast that includes Charles Coburn, Joyce Reynolds, and Percy Kilbride, and Hattie McDaniel (best remembered as Mammy in GONE WITH THE WIND) really shines as Hester, their long-suffering domestic who finds herself with a hole in the kitchen wall big enough for a horse to walk through--and one does! The pace is snappy, the script is witty, and every one is sure to have a good time. Recommended.

Gary F. Taylor, aka GFT, Amazon Reviewer
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Benny is a bit stiff here, but there is a good reason
calvinnme8 November 2009
This is a better comedy than many reviewers indicate. To appreciate it you have to remember two things - firstly, it was made in 1942, and thus there are quite a few patriotic themes in the movie, since that was the kind of film being made at the beginning of World War II, when the U.S. didn't yet know if it would be successful fighting a two front war in which everything was at stake. The second thing to remember is that Jack Benny did all of his scenes with Percy Kilbride (later known as Pa Kettle) on days in which he had gotten no sleep the night before. He did this deliberately, because Jack had insisted Kilbride play the part when Jack Warner just wanted to insert one of his contract players. Jack Benny insisted that Kilbride made the play and was thus essential for the movie. Jack Benny got his way, but every time Jack Benny looked at Percy Kilbride when he was shooting the movie he broke into hysterical laughter. When the director threatened to remove Benny if he continued this, then Benny decided to stay up all night before he had any scenes with Kilbride because then he was so exhausted that he just didn't care.

If you're in the mood for a light sweet movie from the 40's with Benny's brand of understated comedy, this certainly fits the bill. Just don't expect Benny the miser of Jack's radio and TV days. This film takes advantage of Benny's comic timing and deadpan delivery of comic observations when confronted by outrageous behavior and situations on all sides, but it is just not a role for a cheapskate.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of my favorite classic comedies
Erik Rupp5 February 2005
George Washington Slept Here is a tour-de-force for the great Jack Benny. He is given the opportunity to fully display his comedic acting skills here, as the movie is written and directed with class and style. He's ably assisted in the hilarity by the equally great Ann Sheridan, and supporting cast members Percy Kilbride and Charles Coburn add even more comic class to the movie.

This is the kind of movie you can watch with your kids where you find that the entire family enjoys it equally. While some cynics may not enjoy this movie as much as I do (it is clearly a product of it's time), if you find that you enjoy classic comedies then you should give this one a chance.

Hopefully it will be released on DVD soon. (As of this writing, 2/05/05, it is not yet on DVD.)
27 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Benny and Pa Kettle - what a combo
blanche-216 June 2008
Ann Sheridan buys a dilapidated house believing that "George Washington Slept Here" in this 1942 film also starring Jack Benny, Percy Kilbride, Charles Coburn and Hattie McDaniel. Sheridan and Benny are husband and wife Bill and Connie Fuller, about to be evicted from their apartment because of their dog shredding the hall rug. Wanting to plant roots, Connie has fallen in love with an old house and purchased it, possibly without thinking it through. There's no water, the roof leaks, and Bill falls through the floor and continually falls down the stairs. Their budget triples as their hired handyman (Kilbride) needs to buy more gravel, more this, more that, all the time drilling for water (and finding the neighbor's) - until the couple is nearly out of money. After putting everything they have into the house, they can't pay the $5000 note on it. Hope is in the form of Connie's annoying Uncle Stanley (Coburn), who's come for a visit.

Based on the play by Moss Hart, "George Washington Slept Here" makes a good transition to the screen, thanks to the fabulous delivery of Jack Benny, who is a riot, the charm of the lovely Ann Sheridan, and the deadpan affect of "Pa Kettle," Percy Kilbride. He gives Benny a run for his money in the comedy department. You won't want to miss his rendition of "I'll Never Smile Again" and the one different facial expression he uses in the entire film.

All of the cast is good, including Hattie McDaniel, who watches the dinner table with the dinner on it float away and Charles Coburn as an uncle who only gives gifts of his photo.

Typical chaotic, warm, funny Moss Hart play that he wrote so well. Definitely worth seeing.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Kilbride and Benny weren't strangers
bill-6889 August 2006
Percy Kilbride shows up often on Jack Benny's radio show, particular those broadcast during World War II. His deadpan delivery always had the cast and audience in stitches and it is a real treat to encounter Kilbride in roles as a postal official or delivery man, bent on enforcing the "rules" much to the chagrin of Benny, and his sidekicks. Later, as Pa Kettle, Kilbride enjoyed his greatest success. Any fan of Jack Benny and anyone who has access to Benny's radio shows can benefit from "George Washington Slept Here" because you not only get a good look at the man himself, but in this case you get the extra benefit of seeing Benny and Kilbride reprise, so to speak, their wonderfully workable comedy.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
not top-notch, but amusing
Robert D. Ruplenas31 March 2003
The classic of the "ramshackle house in the country" genre is without doubt "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", and although this predecessor by 6 years does not attain its succesor's high comic level, it is still amusing and worth a see. I must admit I feel ancient when a viewer here writes "Remember Jack Benny?" For those of us who grew up in the fifties he was a titan of early television. Although he and Ann Sheridan cannot match the chemistry of Cary Grant and Myrna Loy in the later flick, they still work well together, and the whole project is abetted by a marvelous script from the unmatched talents of Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman, whose best lines go to Benny's Bill Fuller. Also notable are a contribution from Charles Coburn and a cameo from the inimitable Franklin Pangborn. Worthwhile comic viewing.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Classic Benny, baby
Flinx-227 January 2001
I actually prefer this version of the "Home restoration from Hell" concept to the more famous "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", despite the presence of the ubiquitous Cary Grant in the latter. Perhaps it's because I saw this one first, or because it came first. Whatever the reason, I found Jack Benny to be quite humorous in this starring turn, although the old caretaker nearly stole the show from under him.

8 out of 10.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The world's tightest man scores big with this one
helpless_dancer11 September 2001
This is one of the funniest films I've ever seen. A local station in Houston used to run this show on new year's eve and I would watch it every year. Few comics can top Benny and his deadpan delivery but Pa Kettle came close in this one as he played the slow motion yard man.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Enjoyable.
MartinHafer8 February 2012
"George Washington Slept Here" was an interesting departure for Jack Benny. Benny usually played a nice guy--a guy who let funny things happen to him and around him. However, since this film was based on a play, Benny played the role as it was written--acerbic and full of snappy one-liners. If you are used to Benny from his TV show or other films, this type of character is pretty different. Now I am NOT saying that this is a bad change. After all, considering how horribly stupid his wife (Ann Sheridan) is in the film, his sour disposition isn't all that bad--most husbands would have killed her! The film begins with Sheridan's dog, Ramy, getting the family tossed out of yet another apartment. So, without telling her husband, she buys a wreck of an ancient house in the country. She does not bother to ask basic questions--and it turns out that the house doesn't have water, a road, bathrooms and isn't quite structurally sound. No wonder Benny is a crab! As a result, the home becomes a money pit--wiping out all their savings in the never-ending quest to make the place livable.

You wonder if perhaps this film was the inspiration, in part, for "Green Acres". It also is similar to "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House". It's got lots of clever moments and a likable ensemble cast. It's also a tad uneven--with some gags that fall a bit flat (for example the 17-year locusts bit). All in all, worth watching but not a brilliant comedy either.

By the way, while you'd barely recognize it, according to IMDb this house was the same one used for "Arsenic and Hold Lace".
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Roughing It, Suburban Style
dougdoepke29 September 2008
Funny movie whose comedy premise was picked up several years later by the better known Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948). Here Benny and wife Sheridan exit the city for a rural shack supposedly slept in by our first president. Of course the new digs turn out to be a bottomless money pit and source of irritation for the city-bred Benny. Add grouchy neighbor Charles Dingle, a nasty little nephew, a free-loading Charles Coburn, and a slow- talking handy-man and you've got a madcap mix of comedy antics.

It is an entertaining movie, but with all these promising ingredients why isn't the 90 minutes better than I think it is. For one, there's simply too much going on for director Kheighley to adroitly manage. The situations are inherently amusing, but lack the snap and polish needed to put them over. When Benny falls into the old well, for example, there's neither the reassuring dialog nor comedic reaction that would separate comedy from tragedy. Surprisingly, the scene closes with Benny down the well and viewers in doubt.

Jack Benny was one of the funniest guys around. But his humor was subtle and grew out of character. Radio and TV were perfect since he could play versions of his familiar tightwad personality. As good as he was in those venues, he was not a comedic actor. Here he's permanently flustered with a lot of dialog-- not the strongest suit for a comedian whose specialty were moments of quiet exasperation. He does well enough, but truth be told, the part could have been handled just as well by a dozen other actors. The role was perfect for a Cary Grant-type tizzy as Blandings would prove.

It's Percy Kilbride who walks off with the movie. There's been no one like him before or since. Drop a bomb on him and his deadpan expression wouldn't change. He's totally unflappable with a meat cleaver nose that could slice a side of beef. And what a moment of comedic inspiration when his crackling down-home voice slides into I'll Never Smile Again; it's like a head on Mt. Rushmore suddenly breaking into song. So out of character, it's a total crack up. The movie may not be front-rank, yet it does have its moments.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Excellent
SanteeFats20 August 2013
If you like old time comedy movies this is a peach of one!! In a way Jack Benny was a forerunner of the Don Rickles type that came later. His sarcastic wise cracks in this movie are some proof of that I think. He and his wife (Ann Sheridan) buy a house in the country, actually she buys it and he resents it. Now the fun and games start. People (usually Jack) fall through floors, stair steps, dry wells, plus no real roof, no water, no bathrooms or closets. Great place (to burn down). The events involved in trying to get a new well dug, a cesspool (septic tank for the younger crowd) put in, the roof fixed, etc. etc. are hilarious. There is the butt head neighbor played by Charles Dingle who is just an ornery pain in the nether regions. Hattie McDaniel plays the maid Hester. Remembering that this is a period where almost all non-whites got parts that seemed to be spoofs of the real people, she has a bit better role in this one. She stands up for herself and even gives some sass back. Percy Kilbride is great as the handyman Mr. Kimber. Good ol' boy to the core. Of course there is not enough money to go around so they try and hit up rich relative Uncle Stanley J. Menninger played by that old character actor Charles Coburn. As typical in these old timers every thing works out for the best.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Great Film...Should be released on DVD!
kr53215-122 November 2004
This has to be one of the funniest films ever. This was also my first exposure to Jack Benny. I loved his dead-pan delivery. I saw this film some 6 or 7 years ago on TV and have been looking for it on DVD (to no avail) almost ever since. Maybe I had a major case of the giggles that day but, I swear I about fell on the floor laughing at almost every Benny line. Interesting story and just extremely funny! I would highly recommend that anyone who hasn't yet had the opportunity or good fortune to see this wonderful comedy..see it. Of course you will have to see it on VHS as that is the only format it is available in at the moment. The fact that I still remember well the movie after seeing it once about 7 years ago should tell you it made quite an impression on me, as well as my funny-bone! Don't miss it if you haven't seen it yet.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
LOVED this movie!
rosyrnrn3 July 2010
I roared with so much laughter, even my husband, who is not into movies cracked up, over and over again. Although the plot is similar to The Money Pit or Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, both movies which I LOVE, it is funnier in different ways. I think the way the actors play off each other is 150% hilarious Each movie is really great, but each one is very different in style.

I think that the ending could have been enhanced, although there really is nothing wrong with it. But when they find George Washington's letter, and the neighbor snatches it, I felt like Jack Benny's character could have snatched it back and held out for more $$$. I also felt like if the friend who was the antique collector/dealer was on his toes more, he would have picked up the boot and searched for other artifacts from the time George Washington was there, right? Their yard was probably filled with ancient treasures. I also thought that no one could have turned that house into a livable house as fast as these people did - that part was not realistic, even with a team of remodel DIY'ers!!! But they turned what should have been torn down to the foundation into a beautiful cottage in a matter of a couple of months, which is not do-able (watch and you will see what I mean). Don't you love everything that happens in the kitchen with their maid/cook? OMG - I was keeled over laughing so hard!!! (Looks like she lost a lot of weight since 1938/39 when she was in Gone with the Wind).

If you want to laugh, and laugh, and laugh until you hurt, watch this movie! I hope I can buy it and add it to my collection! ENJOY!
A Pleasant 93 Minutes
Casablanca378412 February 2010
I've seen every Ma and Pa Kettle film made because I long to be as stoic, calm and unperplexed as was Percy Kilbride, so this film was doubly enjoyable because also I've always been a big Jack Benny fan due to the fact he had the best timing, on radio, TV and movies, of any comedian.

Regarding the storyline,I'm not writing to spoon feed anyone;you can read it for yourselves but I am stating that when it next pops up on Turner,take a peek. Benny plays off Percy; Percy plays off Benny and Ann Sheridan adds a touch of beauty but according to the plot, not brains. And Charles Coburn whom everybody loved (how can anyone dislike Charles Coburn?) lends an air of royalty and connivery to the madcap happenings.

For a pleasant,entertaining and funny romp through cellulod,"GWSH" is very worthwhile.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Benny's in character but watch for Kilbride
bpatrick-826 October 2009
This movie was a rewrite of a Broadway play, where the husband buys the house that George Washington supposedly slept in. But here it's the wife (Ann Sheridan), while husband Jack Benny gets increasingly irritated with the amount of money he's having to shell out. And if you're familiar with Benny's tightwad character, you'll know immediately why the roles were reversed for this film. But the real star is indeed Percy Kilbride, better known from the Ma and Pa Kettle films. One look at his deadpan puss and it's all over for Benny and for the audience. He's the one holdover from the play, and Benny insisted--rightly--on having him in the picture. Also fun to watch is Charles Dingle as a grumpy neighbor. Maybe Benny doesn't have Cary Grant's sophistication in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," but this is a funny picture, especially if you're a Benny fan. By the way, a station in Norfolk, VA, used to show this movie every Christmas morning. Why, I don't know, but it's no doubt good to relax with when the presents are unwrapped--or any other time of year.
Timely Patriotism
willrams25 March 2003
For all you old timers, remember Jack Benny? He did make a few good movies, and made us laugh, too! This movie comes at a good time in our lives now to revive our sense of patriotism. The story is about The Fuller Family, Connie played by Ann Sheridan and Bill by Jack Benny, who purchase an old dilapidated farmhouse in Pennsylvania where George Washington, himself, supposedly had slept there during the American Revolution. So much of the humor comes about by the many problems they have while trying to upgrade the property. I found it more amusing this time than when I originally had seen it. Great comedy stars like Hattie McDaniel, Percy Kilbride and Charles Coburn. Don't miss it!
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Rumor Hath It
bkoganbing13 June 2008
Before Cary Grant and Myrna Loy were building their dream house in Connecticut, Jack Benny and Ann Sheridan moved out to the Pennsylvania countryside to a fix me up house where rumor hath it, George Washington Slept Here.

The film is based on a play of the same name by Kaufman and Hart and Benny and Sheridan make a good pair of marrieds. Rumor also hath it that Jack and Ann got romantically involved during the making of the film.

Sheridan has a passion for antiques and while on a shopping trip for same in Pennsylvania comes across an old colonial house that's definitely seen better days. On an impulse she buys it and charms her somewhat grouchy husband that life in the country is what they need.

If you've seen Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House you know exactly what the situations that will come up. In fact Tom Hanks in The 'Burbs faced similar problems for you younger movie viewers.

Benny and Sheridan are backed by a wonderful cast of character actors, that include Charles Coburn as their uncle, Douglas Croft as their delinquent nephew, Charles Dingle as their fatuous and greedy neighbor, Hattie McDaniel as what else the maid, and Percy Kilbride as the man in charge of repairing the old dump.

Jack Benny was never really able to translate his radio popularity to the big screen as Bob Hope was. George Washington Slept Here is probably the best of his big screen efforts.

And even at that it ranks up there with a lot of good screen comedies. Check it out if possible.

Rumor hath it George Washington took his boots off in many a house.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
"Looks like a motel for buzzards!"
classicsoncall25 April 2015
Notwithstanding the status of the main players, I was left aghast at the first sight of the house Ann Sheridan's character tried to pass off to screen husband Jack Benny as a place in which to build their future dreams on. Holy smokes! The place was literally falling apart and posed a serious death trap to anyone entering it. Sort of like a motel for buzzards the way Bill Fuller (Benny) described it. Did anyone else think there was some slight overkill here?

My rating of the film probably puts me in the category of viewers who 'hated' the movie, and though I didn't actually hate it, I thought a lot of the premise was wasted with Jack Benny's playing against type as an aggravated husband who gets shanghaied into a house in the country on the whim of his wife. Speaking of which, if it was possible for one half of a married couple to mortgage a house without their spouse knowing about it at one time, then obviously those days are long gone.

As for Ann Sheridan, she's been my favorite actress of the era for a long time, but her role here was played with just a bit too much sugar coated ambivalence over a decidedly poor decision to buy a house from hell. Personally, I prefer Sheridan cracking wise against someone like Cagney the way she did in "Angels With Dirty faces". I didn't doubt that the ramshackle building would gradually turn into a House and Garden fashion statement, but that early going was something of a stretch to start out with.

You know, you have to hand it to old Uncle Stanley (Charles Coburn) here for an idea that seems pretty novel that might bear exploring as I reach retirement age. I wonder how long one could get by traveling around on limited means by staying with friends and relatives for a month at a time. It beats a mortgage payment and property taxes, and could go a long way stretching out the old social security check. Something to think about.

As a product of a simpler time, "George Washington Slept Here" is a family friendly flick that old timers like myself like to run across when the opportunity presents itself. Fans of Jack Benny and/or Ann Sheridan should have a good time with this one.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Another Benny Tour-de-Force
jhboswell11 March 2015
Bright, sweet, very funny stuff here. A little dated; but after all, the date is 1942! Jack Benny was the top comedy star of the day, very busy in radio at this time, and he didn't get to take too many movie roles. When he did, they were top market. And, due to his extremely generous nature, he sparked everyone else in the cast to their best efforts. The camera follows him as the star, but everyone looks good. Beautiful Ann Sheridan serves ably as the "straight" (wo)man here, and there are many other delightful character actors weaving in and out.

A disadvantage he had in this film is that his legendary timing was off a little. All comedians do better with a live audience, so he didn't have that here; and, he found Percy Kilbride hysterically funny and had to make himself totally exhausted to play his scenes with him. Kilbride, who became Pa Kettle in that successful series, had been a Broadway actor, and Benny insisted he be brought out to repeat his role from the play. That plan almost wrecked the film! But it worked out okay. The director seems to have been a bit antagonistic as well, which may not have helped much.

Very enjoyable!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Great Comedy along with History
TPF7 January 2002
"George Washington Slept Here" combines a wonderful amount of early Jack Benny comedy before his usual "Tight Wad" stereo type and American History. Percy Kilbride is wonderful in the role of "Mr. Kimber." An excellant "Comfort Movie." Highly recommend!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Exasperating shenanigans in the screwball vein...
moonspinner5513 June 2008
Jack Benny and Ann Sheridan play a married couple in New York City, apartment dwellers forced out of their latest residence after their pesky mutt chews up the carpet; Sheridan finds a dilapidated house way out in the country that suits her, not counting on all the money it will take to fix the place up. Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman's play becomes very odd screwball comedy which spends its first act mining laughs from the husband's constant exasperation (and his tendency to fall through weak floors). Later, as pesky relatives--and bills--start accumulating, the movie takes on a different, smarter style, and Benny's peevish disposition is funnier when he's commenting on the harried circumstances rather than having him be a constant klutz. Sheridan is a peculiar match for Benny (the two are more like a boss and his secretary than husband and wife), but Hattie McDaniel gets in some funny wisecracks as their maid and Percy Kilbride is very good as the slow-talking contractor. This tale might have revolved solely around the couple's attempts to fix up their historical shack, but this gets taken care of fairly quickly (a blessing); once the slapstick bend comes to a close, the picture finally takes shape. **1/2 from ****
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
****
edwagreen25 April 2015
The very best in war-time comedy was revealed in this film classic.

With a great cast, Jack Benny plays the lead as the harried husband of Ann Sheridan, who showed she was quite adept at comedy. In a reversal of the television premise of Green Acres, Benny, who loves the city, reluctantly surrenders to Sheridan, the latter wanting country-like living.

Everything but everything goes wrong in the antiquated home that they've bought-including no water, a miserable Charles Dingle as their neighbor, things breaking down and even the fact that our first president did not sleep as was reported in the house.

As Hester, Hattie McDaniel is back in the maid part and is in fine form as the over-worked but lovable character that she was.

Charles Coburn shines as the supposed rich uncle who is anything but wealthy.

What makes this film so good is that how the couple are able to stay in their home. That message that was read which was found in the boot, not only applied to the American Revolution but was symbolic to the time of the film- World War 11.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not the perfect fit for Jack Benny, but a very enjoyable film
vincentlynch-moonoi22 February 2015
This comedy benefits from a good cast. First, of course, is Jack Benny. Now there is one aspect of Benny's character that...well...seems to out of character. Here, Jack is very sarcastic...which fits the play, but I'm not sure fits Jack. His character doesn't seem very kind to his wife! But, so be it. It's still a pleasure to see Jack Benny on the big screen (although I prefer "The Horn Blows At Midnight".

The female lead is Ann Sheridan, who was a pretty versatile actress. She sort of holds everything together, both in terms of the plot, and to some extent the rest of the characters gel around her.

Without Percy Kilbride, this film wouldn't be half as endearing. This sort of reminds me of his role in "The Egg And I", although that was before the Pa Kettle role became too ingrained. Here he's just right and a real pleasure to watch. It's interesting how his character quietly tolerates Benny's sarcasm.

Hattie McDaniel is here as...what else...the maid. But, despite her being typecast due to that era, she's always a great addition in any film.

Another real treat here is the wonderful Charles Coburn in what I think is one of his best comedy roles...and he had many.

The rest of the cast does what they need to do, but without special merit.

This film is often compared to "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House". And that's valid. The latter is not a remake, because the story line is somewhat different, but the premise is very similar. Maybe the fact that "Blandings" was released just 6 years after this film is one reason that the "Blandings" film took a loss at the box office. For me, although the premises are very similar, the casts are not, so I can savor each film (and have both in my collection).
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Golden Age Of Character Actors--Percy Kilbride
cutterccbaxter7 June 2005
It's interesting to learn, at least to me, that the Fuller's carpet chewing dog (played by Terry) is famous for having played Toto in "The Wizard of Oz." Apparently Terry excelled at playing trouble causing canines. In both "Slept Here" and "Oz" it was the dog that triggers the narrative action. I enjoyed "George Washington Slept Here" but it didn't quite ever get into comedic high gear for me. Jack Benny has his moments, but his character's cantankerous isn't as funny as his more subtle facial reaction to the events that transpire around him. As others have pointed out, I think the film is worth watching because of Percy Kilbride's performance which may be the most dead-pan in cinematic history.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?