Gone with the Wind (1939)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 35 items
Sex & Nudity
- A woman strips naked and she quickly covers herself up; we see a glimpse of what is actually a covered side of one breast.
- References to adultery.
- Two cousins marry. Though considered taboo now, it wasn't during the Civil War.
- A woman is in love with a married man, and offers to have his children, though he refuses.
- People sometimes kiss passionately, including scenes where a woman kisses a married man.
- There is a scene in which a woman says that she is willing to "sell herself" for money if needed.
- A man threatens to rape a woman. But it's nothing direct.
- Some other mild sexual references.
Violence & Gore
- A woman says, that a man shot a horse and that she thought, that he wants to shoot himself.
- Some war violence and mild blood.
- War is a constant theme of the movie.
- Lots of scenes of the wounded, where hundreds of men lie dying, some with amputated limbs, and all with some blood (though not that graphic). One scene where a soldier has his leg amputated (off screen, but shadows show the amputation occurring), we hear him screaming and yelling in pain, and a woman watching in disgust.
- Cannons bombard a city, reducing it to rubble and ruins.
- A soldier threatens to rape a woman, and she shoots him point blank in the face. There is quite a lot of blood splatter.
- A city gets a report of fatalities at the most recent battle.
- Characters are slapped or punched.
- A woman is in pain when she is in labor.
- Buildings are set on fire.
- A man falls from a horse, breaking his neck and dying.
- A child falls from a horse and breaks her neck.
- A horse in obvious distress is beaten with a whip.
- Hell is used to refer to the place several times, and Clark Gable also says at one point "damn Yankees", which most people tend to forget, because the famous line is the most memorable and perhaps overshadows it.
- One use of "damn" in the classic line "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." (It was shocking at the time it was originally released.)
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A man is drunk multiple times.
- A man gets drunk and acts and talks relatively aggressive.
- A young woman drinks in secret.
- Men smoke cigars.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A woman falls off stairs after she tried to hit a man.
- Discussion of war and disturbing images of wounded soldiers and lists of the dead being disturbed.
- There is a scene in which a woman comes along her dead mother's body, screaming.
- There are several scenes in which a woman tries to escape soldiers and is severely frightened.
- A man and woman escape a huge fire with a baby, a slave and an ill woman in the back of a carriage.
- A very young girl falls from a horse and breaks her neck.
- A woman dies in bed.
- A woman shoots a man in the face, then drags his bleeding body away.