Pack Up Your Troubles (1932) Poster

A great mix of slapstick humor and a more serious of tone storyline.
Boba_Fett113812 September 2006
Amazing how they did it. This movie features war sequences, the lost of a friend who leaves a young daughter behind. All some serious heavy dramatic stuff but yet the boys manages to make this movie a perfectly entertaining one with some good slapstick humor and comical situations.

The movie at times is a sappy one that goes definitely over-the-top but yet for most part the story and its drama works effective. Stan and Ollie taking care of the young daughter of Eddie and their quest for her grandparents is quite heartwarming. Especially since the boys in this movie have an amazingly good chemistry Jackie Lyn Dufton, who plays the young girl. Especially Stan Laurel has a good chemistry with her. Dufton refers to Stan and Ollie as her uncle's in this movie and that special feeling is brought amazingly effective and believable to the screen.

Yet the movie is also one of their most fun ones, despite the dramatic undertone. The slapstick humor is especially top-class and the boys manage once more to get themselves into some silly and hilarious situations.

The movie its supporting cast is also good. The movie features lots of different actors in a variety of roles. Of course this movie also has the regular Laurel & Hardy actors in it, such as James Finlayson, Charlie Hall and Paulette Goddard. But it's the supporting cast as a whole that delivers a good and impressive performance.

A delightful and well made comedy that also works effective with its more dramatic moments.

10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Laurel&Hardy and a little girl
Petri Pelkonen23 March 2000
Stanley's and Oliver's army buddy Eddie Smith gets killed in a war, so the boys have to find the grandparents of Eddie's daughter.So they go from door to door looking for every Smiths there are in the town.It's not an easy job for the boys to do, because there are many Smiths but only two boys.And it doesn't make the job any easier that they get blamed for a bank robbery. Pack Up Your Troubles is a very funny comedy from Laurel and Hardy.It is one of the best Laurel and Hardy movies.The movie has many funny situations.Watch the movie and you just can't stop laughing.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Smile Boys, That's The Style"
bkoganbing4 August 2014
Despite being doughboys in General Pershing's army in France, the Allies still were able to win World War I with Laurel and Hardy in the ranks. But most of Pack Up Your Troubles is spent with the boys as veterans looking for the family of their late comrade Don Dillaway on behalf of his daughter little Jackie Lyn Dufton.

Best scene in the film is when Stan and Ollie are sent out on what their exasperated sergeant thinks and hopes will be a suicide mission. They're told to get a prisoner. Remember this is 1932 and the story of Sergeant York even without the movie being made was known to one and all. How do Stan and Ollie pull off a Sergeant York? Well it involves a prototype tank, the enemy trenches, and some barbed wire. You have to see it being done.

Laurel's scenes especially with the child have a nice ring of pathos to them. Most of the time he's simply an idiot, here he's a lovable idiot. Next best scene in the movie is the little girl reading Stan a bedtime story, Goldilocks and the 3 Bears and Laurel falling asleep.

Pack Up Your Troubles has an unusually good cast of recognizable character players in roles that we all identify them with. Of course James Finlayson is there as their commanding general. But also there's Charles Middleton as a welfare inspector, Billy Gilbert whose daughter blows up a marriage to Grady Sutton when the boys think he's Dillaway's father and Mary Gordon as a delightful old Irish mother babysitting the little girl for Stan and Ollie. Third best scene is the police closing in on them and them trying to escape in a dumb waiter.

Only their third sound feature length film and a winner for Laurel And Hardy.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Army Chaos With Mr. Laurel & Mr. Hardy
Ron Oliver19 March 2000
Former doughboys Stan & Ollie take responsibility for the tiny daughter of a dead Army buddy. First they must rescue her from the dreadful fellow claiming guardianship. Then the Boys must try to track down the little tyke's grandparents. Not an easy task, considering the chaos they're about to encounter.

This feature plays like two or three short subjects strung together. There's a great deal of slapstick, as is usual in a Laurel & Hardy film, and the results are enjoyable. Stan & Ollie almost pull off the impossible: to make World War One trench warfare seem funny.

James Finlayson plays the Boys' exasperated General. Billy Gilbert & Grady Sutton are two zanies at a fancy wedding the Boys disrupt. Richard Cramer makes a nasty villain. Film mavens will spot sweet old Mary Gordon as one of the child's baby-sitters.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My summary appears to be missing.
JoeytheBrit27 November 2009
I'm surprised this film came along so relatively early in Laurel & Hardy's career because, although it has a couple of stand-out moments, for the most part it falls below the usual high standard of their output with Hal Roach. In this one they find themselves enlisted in the army during WWI where by some fluke they manage to capture an entire German unit. Unfortunately, the friend they make in the army isn't so lucky and leaves an orphaned little girl at home that the boys decide to return to her grandparents.

Laurel & Hardy were still predominantly making shorts when this feature-length movie was made in 1932, and you get the impression that an awful lot of padding was involved to reach the hour mark. Now, the boys can make trying to walk through a doorway funny, but even they struggle to maintain a decent level of consistency throughout. The best scenes are those involving the little girl, even though she goes a little overboard on the cute factor. At one point, there's a neat role reversal as Stan struggles to keep his eyes open while she recites her own version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears – in fact, thinking about it, the entire film could be seen as a remodelling of typical fairy-tale plots.

As a meaningless aside, have you ever wondered who does the really dull jobs in the glamorous world of movies? In their quest for the grandparents of their young charge, Stan & Ollie phone every Smith in the phone book. To prove it, director Ray McCarey shows us a shot of four or five pages of the telephone directory with every entry crossed through, and I couldn't help wondering whether the poor dogsbody who did all that hand-numbing work even got a mention in the credits...
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An average series entry still has the unmistakable touch of comic genius.
Wilbur-1028 December 2000
Early Laurel & Hardy feature isn't among their best, but still provides entertaining viewing.

Story begins with America entering the First World War, and L&H conscripted into the army after being spotted loafing on a park bench. Action moves to training camp, then onto the trenches in France before returning to America. Here Laurel & Hardy find themselves responsible for a dead army buddy's little girl, whom they must return to her rightful guardian.

Film isn't as polished as later entries, and certainly can't compete with the likes of 'Sons of the Desert'. Even so, the continual odd-couple bickering between the two ensures plenty of laughs. The scene where they go to the Bank to get a loan on the strength of their mobile food business is out of the top draw - if there is a better comedy duo in movie history I've yet to see them.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic L & H
Matt Barry31 March 1999
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES is the second L&H feature. They do a great job, providing straight laughs for over an hour! The supporting cast reads like a "who's-who" of 1930's comedy:Charles Middleton, Jacquie Lyn, Muriel Evans, Billy Gilbert, C. Montague Shaw, George Marshall, Rychard Cramer, James C. Morton, Richard Tucker, Lew Kelly, and other greats such as the immortal James Finlayson as a General. Directed by George Marshall and Raymond McCarey (brother of L&H creator Leo McCarey), Photographed by Art Lloyd. Screenplay and Dialogue by H. M. Walker. A comedy classic.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The cutes little girl on film
whitecat121718 July 2002
This is the cutes little girl's role ever made since Shirley Temple. When she was sitting in the lap of a very sleepy Stanley, she decided to read "The 3 Bears" to him. Her adorable accent alone was precious.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pack Up Your Troubles is quite a funny Laurel & Hardy movie with some sentiment thrown in concerning a little girl
tavm26 October 2014
It was back in 1991 when I was shopping at Target in Jacksonville, FL, that I stumbled onto this VHS tape from Video Treasures. It was a Laurel & Hardy movie I hadn't heard of before and while I think I checked out Randy Skretvedt's book "Laurel and Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies" from the library there beforehand, I don't remember reading about the review of this particular movie at the time though I'm sure I read about it after seeing this when I checked the book out again afterward. Anyway, when the little girl-Jacquie Lyn-was doing the story of "The Three Bears" with sleepy Stan's reactions in close-up, I remember a relative I was living with laughing heartily at that and while it was funny to me as well, I don't remember laughing as loudly. I just watched it again this morning and I found myself laughing not only at that but most of the rest of the picture as Stan & Ollie join the army during World War I, make friends with a guy named Eddie Smith, and then try to find Eddie's parents after he dies in battle with his daughter I mentioned in tow. Hilarious supporting turns from usual L & H players like James Finlayson and Billy Gilbert as well as Grady Sutton and George Marshall who co-directed with Ray McCarey. In Skretvedt's review, he mentions a sequence cut from all reissued prints because of its too-violent-for-comedy status: Temporary guardian Rychard Cramer abuses his wife and Jacquie, then when L & H find out-he sends his goons after them but the boys manage to subdue them with boiling water! He also said a print survives dubbed in French. I'm not in a real hurry to see that one. So on that note, I highly recommend Pack Up Your Troubles. P.S. On this videotape I mentioned earlier in the review, Stan's daughter Lois put some home movies before the feature showing her on her fourth birthday and fifth birthday parties, and then showed her playing with Jacquie either in a sandbox or riding in a toy plane (cute seeing them kiss a couple of times there), a gift from her Uncle Babe (Hardy). She mentioned she hadn't seen her in a while and was looking for her. Well, a year later, Leonard Maltin & Richard W. Bann updated their book, "The Little Rascals: The Life and Times of Our Gang" and revealed in the C section of the Appendixes called The Rest: Their Glories and Their Ruin that Jacquie Lyn was given-by her son-a copy of this videotape for Christmas, saw those movies of her and Lois, and contacted her through The Sons of the Desert organization where she found out they only lived a couple of miles away! After Ms. Lyn left pictures after making a couple of Our Gang shorts-Free Wheeling and Birthday Blues-her family remained in Los Angeles where she eventually married a banker. I'll explain why she left when reviewing Birthday Blues. Update-12/26/14: I've now seen the deleted sequence which was colorized on YouTube. It's not as violent as I was afraid since we don't see Cramer hitting Jacquie. Also, that boiling water is from some pots that Stan uses to pour on the bad guys which is quite funny!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!
Hitchcoc12 January 2017
Once again, Stan and Ollie find themselves being potentially done in for trying to do the right thing. Through a series of events, the boys find themselves in France in the service. They are totally incompetent as soldiers, of course, but they make the acquaintance of Eddie Smith, who helps them get by. Eddie gets a Dear John letter and gets the boys to promise that if anything happens to him, they will see that his baby gets taken to his father's home. Well, the sad thing happens and they are in his debt...a promising made. They are released from the Army as heroes for inadvertently rounding up a battalion of German soldiers. Once back in the states, they begin the arduous process of finding a man named Smith. This allows them to make some hilarious mistakes, including telling a bridegroom at his wedding that they have his child. A mistake, of course. This is a touching, loving effort. But, of course, these guys seldom catch a break.
Aimiable Laurel and Hardy Feature
Prichards1234529 November 2015
This was the boys' second feature length movie after Pardon Us, and this time there is a more cohesive plot to hang the comedy scenes on. Stan and Ollie find themselves fighting in WWI after displaying their usual (and very funny) ineptness undergoing army training. On returning home they rescue the child of a friend who didn't make it back, and with little to go on, set about finding her grandfather.

Of course his surname is Smith!

This is a well balanced and well paced movie, with much to enjoy. L and H's rounding up of what looks like half the German front line (entirely unintentionally, I might add), Ollie's one-two pummelling by "Steamboat" Smith, Stan falling asleep when the little girl tells him a story, etc. Think I loved the wedding scene the best though, with the boys managing to get their wires crossed yet again. Billy Gilbert has a nice cameo scene here, as does Jimmy Fin as an army general whose home gets a bit whiffy thanks to Stan and Ollie!

Good fun: shows the team were beginning to work out how to make a feature length movie work for them after all those classic shorts.
One Of My Favorites, Deserves an A+
verbusen26 April 2015
I have watched Laurel and Hardy since when I was a child (thankfully) back in the early 70's. But I had never watched Pack Up Your Troubles before until today in 2015. It's crazy, but it is what it is. L&H was shown mostly as shorts in syndication and a few of their feature films, but only the ones that were their most juvenile ones (even as far as the shorts go). So where do I start? I just laughed at this one from start to finish. Stan looks very stoned or as I'm sure the times dictated dim witted, but in modern times he looks drunk or wasted. That in itself is funny. Then I am watching this as a Vet personally and it's hilarious for the recruitment Shanghai'd to the boot camp to the actual war. along the way there is a really really heavy drama trip put on us by a woman that would abandon a cute 3 year old blond girl, very sad, if you are into the film it may make you cry a little like I did (and of course, I cried later).

Anyway, this is Laurel and Hardy in their still young days, connecting still as the common people, and not as total child buffoons. I like how Ollie stands up to the government to protect the child, and she is totally adorable, almost as much as Shirley Temple.

Watching this has so many scenes in it that are memorable it''s like watching a 2 1/2 hour film instead of just 1 hour, and it's all good. If you never watched this before you should watch it and avoid spoilers because as much as it may fall into line, you will be surprised by this one. 10 of 10. God bless Laurel and Hardy and 1930's America.
Times Change
Theo Robertson18 August 2004
A comedy that features The Great War as it`s back drop might be in very poor taste but since it features Stan and Ollie this can be forgiven . The trench scenes are probably the funniest parts of the film with Ollie getting blamed for Stan " Cleaning out a coffee pot " and Stan wishing Ollie luck as he`s forced over the top

After the war scenes we`re transported a few years into the future where the boys are trying to track down their old comrade Eddie Smith who has a daughter and I failed to get a joke because social mores have changed so much in the meantime . The action takes place at a wedding of a man called Eddie Smith ( An entirely different Eddie Smith ) where Stan , Ollie and a young girl appear . The doorbell is pressed and answered by a butler

" Does Eddie Smith live here ? "

" Yes "

" That`s swell because we brought his daughter "

The butler`s eyes roll and the bride`s father picks up a shotgun to attack the bridegroom when he hears this news . I was puzzled for a moment as to why this reaction came about but then I realised that in the 1930s no one but no one had children before they were married . How times change
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stan and Ollie go to war
Lee Eisenberg5 September 2017
Every once in a while we see a movie about the military enlistment of someone who has trouble taking orders; examples include "Stripes" and "Your Mother Wears Combat Boots". One of the earliest examples was the Laurel & Hardy flick "Pack Up Your Troubles", wherein the boys get drafted into WWI. Following the typical fine messes into which they get themselves, one of their compatriots asks them to do him a favor should he die. This leads into what must have been one of the more serious plots that their movies ever had.

While the movie is comedy through and through, it was a surprise to see Stan and Ollie display a more human side in this movie. I liked seeing them show that, wacky though they were, their characters had the courage to do the right thing when all hope seemed lost.

Of course, one could ignore that and simply revel in the antics. And boy are there some funny ones! I hope that people keep watching Laurel and Hardy forever.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A huge improvement from their previous feature.
alexanderdavies-993822 August 2017
"Pack Up Your Troubles" is a much funnier and better made film for Laurel and Hardy. The plot is more solid with a tighter narrative and the comedy has been blended in well. The opening of the film is 1917 - the year America entered the First World War. Stan and Ollie are drafted into the army where they befriend a fellow private. Sadly, this other soldier is killed in action and Stan and Ollie take it upon themselves to look after the deceased's little daughter. With the war ended, they need to avoid the dreaded orphanage as the child's mother shows no interest. Stan and Ollie try to locate the child's grandparents and this is what dominates the majority of "Pack Up Your Troubles." The team are on top form and they have great material to work with. Besides the comedy, there are moments of drama. Laurel and Hardy handle the more serious material very well. The scene where they realise their soldier friend has died is greeted with no humour or slapstick of any kind. James Finlayson has a brilliant cameo as the army officer, whose army quarters are accidentally smelling of litter. Watch his expression as he blows his whistle! Another regular supporting comedian, Billy Gilbert, makes an appearance as a rather irate future father-in-law at a wedding. I enjoyed the way the film ended, it was quite moving.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"How about getting into one of these uniforms?"
classicsoncall3 July 2016
Amidst the expected humor of a Laurel and Hardy flick, there's a bittersweet aspect to this story of a soldier who doesn't make it, leaving his orphaned young daughter behind. The soldier's ex-wife is given short shrift since she left him for another man; one wonders why she had no room in her heart for her own daughter, a situation not dealt with in the story.

There's some battle action in the early part of the film, allowing our boys to create some havoc with an armored vehicle. It calls to mind the exploits of Sergeant Alvin York during World War I, that story brought to the big screen in 1941 with Gary Cooper in the title role. It would be just like Stan and Ollie to inadvertently capture a German platoon while screwing everything else up.

The search for the grandparents of their war buddy's little daughter takes on a huge dimension once Stan and Ollie are out of the service. With the last name Smith, the search could take forever, and it almost does. Comic gags on the name Smith bring them to a black man, who's identity seems to go over Stan's head, along with Stan's own quest to Poughkeepsie to locate the Smith Brothers of cough drop fame. I also got a kick out of the boys' lunch wagon, 'Caterers to the Elite' as they bill themselves. The elite that is, who could pay ten cents for a ham or egg sandwich. Those top one per-centers of the era could probably afford a lot of those.

The film ends on a successful note with Laurel and Hardy locating the appropriate Smith family before the welfare association of the era could force the boys to give up their young ward. I'd have to say that as the representative of the Eastern Welfare Association, Charles Middleton earned his future role of Ming the Merciless.
Looking for Mr. Smith
lugonian5 June 2016
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES (Hal Roach/Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1932), directed by George Marshall and Raymond McCarey, marks the second starring feature film from comedy team, Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, and one of their finest efforts. Though categorized as a war comedy, the film in itself, divided into two parts, starts off with war related themed material while the second half concentrates more on the team's attempt in locating a little girl's grandparents while civilians after the Armitice.

Opening title: "April 1917 – when the scratch of a pen on Capitol Hill caused crowns to rattle." After a brief montage of newspapers going to press with large headlines reading WAR DECLARED, Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy are seen seated on a park bench reading the latest news. While Ollie declares that flat feet is all that's keeping him from enlisting, the two are soon approached by a tough recruiting sergeant (Tom Kennedy). Even while their attempts pretending to be unfit for active duty, Stan foils up their disqualification, finding them in the next scene at the U.S. Army Training Camp. "It didn't take Uncle Sam long to whip this raw material into real fighting machine." Causing their short-tempered drill sergeant (Frank Brownlee) to go out of his mind over their bumbling antics, Stan and Ollie create more trouble while on K.P. duty, taking foul odor garbage to the general's (James Finlayson) residence, ending up in the brig with a tough cook named Pierre (George Marshall) after naming him the one who told them to place the trash into the general's home in a sarcastic manner. Eddie Smith (Donald Dillaway), the boys' best pal, receives a letter written by his wife telling him she has left him for another man, resulting on Eddie to leave his little daughter (Jacquie Lyn) in the home of a bickering couple (Rychard Cramer and Adele Watson) for the time being. Eddie is killed in battle, while Stan and Ollie unwittingly becoming war heroes. With the war ending November 11, 1918, civilians Stan and Ollie locate Eddie's daughter, take her away from the unhappy environment. They make every effort finding her grandparents with the only clue that their last name is Smith, thus having them going through every Smith name in the New York City directory. More problems arise as they try getting a $12,000 loan from the bank on their lunch wagon, and face losing Eddie's child to a mean officer of the Welfare Association (Charles Middleton) with efforts on taking her to an orphanage.

While the final print is somewhat handicapped by some rough cuts resulting to flimsy material, it's a wonder whether the original concept of the movie was initially longer longer than the theatrical 68 minute time frame, probably explaining after repeated viewing why certain characters, especially those part of the Laurel and Hardy stock company of James Finlayson, Billy Gilbert or Charlie Hall, have only brief bits. There is no plot development nor how Laurel and Hardy got to become such good friends with Eddie Smith. One would assume there's an edited account of first their meeting resulting to their friendship during their Army training segment. His dying in battle leads to the purpose of the story with Stan and Ollie doing a good turn by taking the responsibility for his little girl while spending months trying to locate her grandparents. The tight editing, obviously, keeps in the necessary scenes for plot development purposes while leaving more room for comedy material. Memorable scenes include Jacquie reciting a bedtime story to Uncle Stanley, struggling to keep awake; Stan and Ollie's individual attempts locating the many Smiths in the telephone directory; arriving at 311 Chester Drive where Stan and Ollie disturb a wedding ceremony addressing the child to be Eddie's baby, Eddie being the hapless groom (Grady Sutton); Stan going to Poughkeepsie to acquire if the Smith Brothers of cough drop fame to be the relatives, among others. Fine casting goes to Mary Carr as the baby's nanny; Mary Gordon as Mrs. McTavish, the baby sitter during the second half of the story; and Charles Middleton going with honorable re-mention as the one with a face mean and scary enough to "haunt a house." Jacquie Lynn, who sometimes speaks like future child star, Shirley Temple, gets in her finest moments mimicking Stan and Ollie both in mannerisms and famous line quotes, adding much to the fun during their troubles.

While the title, PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES, was used again for a Ritz Brothers comedy for 20th Century-Fox (1939), this is where the similarity ends. Home video prints to the original Laurel and Hardy edition (black and white or colorized) often eliminate material involving unpleasantness between the bickering couple looking after little Jacquie. Restored prints have turned up on numerous cable channel networks over the years, from American Movie Classics (1996-97) to Turner Classic Movies (TCM premiere: April 1, 2003). Adding a touch of World War nostalgia with background music from that era, including the title song, "Where Do We Go From Here?" and so forth, PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES is one of those films that seems to get better and funnier after repeated viewings, especially for devotees of this most famous of comedy teams of all time, Laurel and Hardy. (***)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Putting two hyena's into the Fox Hole.
mark.waltz20 January 2015
Two years after Buster Keaton and Jimmy Durante were "The Doughboys" and a year after Wheeler and Woolsey became "Half Shot at Sunrise" and a foil for Edna May Oliver, Laurel and Hardy took on their own battle in the trenches of "the Great War", creating all sorts of havoc among their own allies. The first quarter of the movie has them doing all they can to avoid the draft (a very funny scene where they pretend that they both only have one arm), the next quarter is them proving their ineptitude, and finally the last half has them back in the states taking care of the young daughter of an army buddy and avoiding the police and child protection services who want to take her away from them and place her in an orphanage.

A bit funnier than their previous film ("Pardon Us"), this actually seems to be several of their two reelers rolled into one to make a feature length comedy. It's still pretty creaky and not always funny. The last half has a few moderately funny moments when the boys are trying to hide themselves and the little girl from the police and growing crowd, but its pretty maudlin material to be totally enjoyable. But Laurel and Hardy, about to make the jump out of shorts into features permanently, had better things coming, so their earlier films can be referred to as missed opportunities that don't hold up as well as their later Hal Roach films but still offer some slight amusement.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
pretty good but a little "schmaltzy"
MartinHafer21 February 2006
Stan and Ollie are called to fight in WWI and this portion of the film is among the funniest and most memorable. Oddly, the studio gave the plot some pathos, as their army buddy, Eddie, is killed--leaving his daughter an orphan. So it's up to the boys to take care of the child as they try to locate her grandparents--whose name, unfortunately, is Smith!

This film is a very uneven film, as it tries to give quite a bit of plot to the comedy duo and it tries to inject a little bit of pathos--something I absolutely HATE in comedies. No, I would have preferred less plot and more stupid highjinks, but alas, some execs thought it would be nice for the boys to take care of a cute little girl following the segment on the war, and so a lot of the film is devoted to this. Ho, hum. This doesn't excite me, but considering the overall quality of the film, it still is worth watching. For me, movies without cute little ragamuffins in need are preferable. No, I wanted a little more violence and banter between Stan and Ollie and no kids, thank you.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Despite being plot heavy, manages to stir up a few good chuckles...
Neil Doyle12 January 2011
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES only begins to pick up at the point the boys decide to track down the father of a little girl in their care. The best scenes involve their relationship with the cute tyke, who has a wonderful scene with STAN LAUREL where she puts him to sleep with her own version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Another highlight has the boys needing $2,000 and going to see a bank manager who has a good laugh when he sees that their restaurant business is nothing more than a traveling cart on wheels.

"I'd have to be unconscious to give you any money for that," he cries, and presto he knocks over a heavy vase that falls on his head. The boys escape with the money and even wackier developments follow.

Finally, the situation is straightened out when they accidentally run into the girl's grandparents who intend to see that L&H get the proper award for finding their lost grandchild, just in time for the happy ending.

A bit too plot heavy, but there are many scenes that are good for the kind of laughs you expect from any Laurel and Hardy film.

Worth seeing, but not one of their best.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Film
Michael_Elliott10 August 2008
Pack Up Your Troubles (1932)

*** (out of 4)

Laurel and Hardy's second feature has them drafted to go and find in WW1. In training they meet a man and quickly become friends with him but after he's killed the boys try and get his orphan daughter to his parents. Being this is a Laurel and Hardy film you can expect plenty of laughs even though the movie is somewhat uneven and really plays like three short subjects put together to make a feature. There are laughs throughout the film but none of them are overly hysterical and in the end the film is somewhat weak but the good performance from the boys and the nice supporting cast makes it worth watching. I think the start of the film is the weakest when the boys are going through basic training as we get the same type of gags that we're use to and that includes them not being able to march and having a prank pulled on them, which gets them into trouble with the General (James Finlayson). The second half of the film contains the most laughs as Laurel and Hardy must try and find a "Smith" out of thousands in the phone book. In the most memorable scene, the boys interrupt a wedding with the father of the bride, played by Billy Gilbert, going crazy thinking that his future son-in-law has a kid. Some of the comedy doesn't work and that includes a rather long scene where the little girl starts telling Laurel the story of The Three Bears, which he falls asleep on.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Make it 7.5!
JohnHowardReid27 July 2015
Both the movie itself and IMDb credit Raymond McCarey as co- director. According to Stan Laurel, this is not correct. Although McCarey was on the set at all times, his responsibility was to help Laurel devise and/or improve gags. George Marshall was always in charge of the actual direction. However, be that as it may, perhaps the idea of formulating and/or improving gags on the set was not such a good one. The movie itself, alas, is not an unqualified success. In fact, its jerky continuity and its use of inter-titles give it the air of a museum piece. Fortunately, there are some good laughs nevertheless. The boys are actually in top form, stumbling manfully through delicious encounters with Tom Kennedy, Frank Brownlee, James Finlayson, Billy Gilbert and most particularly director George Marshall himself, playing a wonderfully villainous cook. In addition, the boys enjoy their usual quota of amusing solo and tandem routines. Nevertheless, it must be said that Marshall's acting is far more smooth than his direction. His occasional use of traveling close-ups is certainly inventive, but his staging is both flat and over-emphatic.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pack Up Your Trouble
Jackson Booth-Millard21 September 2009
Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy are the most famous comedy duo in history, and deservedly so, so I am happy to see any of their films. It is 1917, and war has begun, Ollie wants to go, but explains to Stan he has flat feet, but a Recruiting sergeant (Tom Kennedy), after believing they have no arms, gets them eventually. So the boys arrive at the army camp in their new uniforms, but are demoted after mucking up the marching orders. As garbage can men they also muck up, taking the trash to the General (James Finlayson) himself while he's having his breakfast, and are demoted again to kitchen staff, with a stressed chef. Their friend Eddie Smith (Donald 'Don' Dillaway) gets a letter from his wife saying he's leaving him for another man, and he is unsure what is happening to his baby daughter (Jackie Lyn Dufton). In their trench shelter, the boys hear the explosions outside, and get out their pyjamas with uniforms already on underneath, cleaning up in a helmet full of coffee, chucking it on the Sergeant. They notice Eddie, and they want to write to his father, but he leaves for raid, and the boys end up accidentally volunteering to capture some prisoners, which they succeed in doing with the help of an accidentally driven tank and tangled barbed wire. Eddie's daughter is wanting her daddy, and living with mean relatives, and Ollie and Stan show up at their door asking to take her away as Eddie is dead. Out of uniform the boys start looking for Eddie's father, "Mr. Smith", to take the daughter to him, and they knock on a few Smiths doors, a black man, a boxer, and a wedding groom (Grady Sutton). After no success, they decide to the rest by telephone, with Ollie having called thousands of Smiths, and Stan went to one (and only one) Smith, and misses that there is The Mr. Smith in the newspaper. You see Stan happy with the daughter, falling asleep as she tells a fairytale, while Ollie does the washing and ironing, and after telling Stan to put the baby to bed slips on a baseball, landing with the wash bowl on his head. While the mean male relative reports the boys taking the baby, Stan and Ollie open their sandwich van, with a mean man telling them he wants to put the daughter in an orphanage, so they go to the bank to get a loan to move away, and the bank manager is Eddie's father, Mr. Smith. With their poor business, he says he'd only give them a loan if he is unconscious, which he becomes, and they take the money they need. As they get packing to leave, the mean orphanage man comes round to take the daughter, but she and the boys escape down the dumb waiter. They are caught though and taken to Mr. Smith, and when he sees Stan and Ollie in a photo with his son Eddie everything is explained, the daughter finds her true family, while the boys are chased by the stressed chef from earlier. Filled with wonderful slapstick and all classic comedy you could want from a black and white film, it is an enjoyable film. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy were number 7 on The Comedians' Comedian. Very good!
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this