City Lights (1931)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 8 items
Sex & Nudity
- A nude statue is shown for a long period of time. Nothing sexual at all.
Violence & Gore
- Like most Chaplin films, all violence is mild and purely comic.
- There are boxing scenes, and Chaplin is almost shot because he tries to escape from a house when being framed for robbery.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- The tramp and his millionaire friend smoke cigars in one scene; his friend is drunk most of the time, and excessive alcohol is featured in several scenes for comic effect.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Appropriate rating would be: PG for alcohol use and thematic elements
- In one scene, the Tramp stumbles upon the rich millionaire while he is contemplating suicide by drowning. High jinks ensue afterward with the Tramp falling in the water, and the rich man falling into the water to save him.