Around 1950 a French film historian, Lo Duca, discovered the second negative in the vaults of Gaumont Studios, in pristine condition. Sadly, he created his own version, changing the original and including a score that was a montage of Albinoni, Vivaldi, and other Baroque composers. Intertitles were done away with and replaced with subtitles, and the film opens in a voice-over. Dreyer was horrified and disowned Duca's version.
In 1981 a print was discovered in a closet of a mental institution in Oslo, Norway. The film was sent to the Norwegian Film Institute where it was found to be a copy of the original 1928 version with Danish intertitles. Uncensored prints were shipped to Copenhagen, and were not censored there, making the discovered print the defining version.
A full restoration was made in 1985 by the Cinémathèque Française under the direction of Vincent Pinel, using the same Danish print in the Danske Filmmuseum in Copenhagen. Intertitles were translated from Danish to French by Michel Drouzy. It uses the score "Voices of Light" by Richard Einhorn and runs 82 minutes.