An Excellent Film That's Grounded In Reality
10 July 2021
When I first started watching How I Became A Superhero, I thought it was going to be like a French version of The Boys, but it's not. It's actually very different. It's a very realistic movie about how people with super human powers live in the real world. It does not portray people with these powers as good or evil, but as people living their lives and doing day to day things. The villain, while vile, is also a tiny bit sympathetic once you learn his backstory, the heroes are good people who believe their powers give them a purpose and a responsibility. The scene where one of the characters' is trying to repeat Spiderman's famous 'With great power comes great responsibility' line is really funny.

The main protagonist is neither good nor evil, but a guy who is doing his job and is suffering from guilt over a past action that led to an accidental death.

All the characters are interesting and believable in their roles. The action is good, but still allows the story to breath. The quieter moments are just as interesting and never become boring. This is a welcome change from the dark, 'all superhumans are evil,' trope like Invincible and The Boys, and the lighter, 'all superhumans are good and noble like that in many DC and Marvel comics and films. This movie fall into neither and that is what makes it so interesting watch.

The film is in French but I did cheat and watched the English dubbed version on Netflix.

I would highly recommend this to anyone that loves crime noir and superhero movies, this straddles the line perfectly while still being it's own thing.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.