Worst Marvel Movie Ever Made
8 March 2019
I should start by saying that I wanted to like this movie. Captain Marvel is an amazing comic character. But this re-imagining of the Captain Marvel character is ill conceived. These are the Things I liked about the movie: The ferkel was hilarious, and Samuel Jackson played a decent although bumbling Nick Fury. Jude Law played a good role and so did Annette Bening. I also loved the first mid credits scene and the trailer for Avengers Endgame. These are the only redeeming attributes to the film.

There are too many problems with the film to list them all. I could write a novella on the numerous problems. The biggest problem was Brie Larson's performance. I don't understand how people can believe that a character who is arrogant, ignorant, and utterly lacking in emotional depth can be called a strong character. These are character flaws not strengths. Brie Larson strutted through the film as if she were on a runaway with the expectation that people were taking pictures of her. She acted as if she were posing for a camera. She was arrogant, rude, insensitive, indifferent, and utterly lacking in emotional depth. Her character was flat, almost vacant. I think I would rather have had Melissa McCarthy in the role as Captain Marvel than Brie Larson given her inability to connect with the most basic sense of human emotion. Her character was also overpowered at the end. The villains were setup as place mats to be easily defeated and disposed of for no other reason than to make her character seem relevant and interesting. Her origin story was a cliche of a cliche. There was nothing redeemable about her character. I can't elaborate without spoiling the few moments worth watching. The entire film was essentially anti-male in every conceivable way. I don't object to infusing agenda driven notions into a film unless it detracts from the overall quality of the movie. In this case, Captain Marvel is the last person in the universe I would contact for help, particularly if I was a man. This is hands down the worst performance of a marvel character I have ever seen, and I am including all of those horrid depictions of superheros in the 1930's and 40's. In fact, I wonder if Brie Larson hadn't engorged herself on tv shows from this period in order to prepare for her role. This film is only watchable if you take a couple of no doze to stay awake and don't mind being besieged by bad acting and bad writing. My suggestion would be to save yourself the money at the theater and simply wait for it to come out on video and then rent it for a dollar through Redbook, providing you don't mind wasting a dollar on this tripe masquerading as a Marvel film. I would recommend watching the mid credits scene and the trailer for Avengers Endgame on youtube instead. If you must know what happens in this film than reads someone's spoilers on it instead of watching it. It's a waste of two hours of time. I shudder to think how they are going to incorporate this pathetic rendering of Captain Marvel into the movie Avengers Endgame. If she ends up being the primary character of Avengers Endgame, I fear the movie will be ruined by her hollow excuse for a performance. I would hate to think that I have spend all these years watching Marvel films which contribute to the resolution of the infinity stone story line just to see it destroyed by bad acting from one character. Please tell me this isn't so, otherwise, I swear I will never pay full price at a movie theater to watch another Marvel film again.
139 out of 269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.