Some Good Laughs
30 September 2018
Office Christmas Party (2016)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

When a jerk of a CEO (Jennifer Aniston) threatens to shut down her brother's (Clay Vanstone) compnay, he and Josh (Jason Bateman) try to score one big deal to save it. The only problem is that it doesn't go as planned so they propose to have a massive Christmas party to show the person how great their company can be.

OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTY is pretty much what you'd expect from a recent Jason Bateman film. The screenplay is certainly under developed but at the same time the film really isn't trying to be anything other than an offensive and funny comedy. For the most part I'd say about forty percent of the jokes worked so the film is okay and worth sitting through as long as you aren't expecting some sort of masterpiece.

As I said, not every joke works but I do think enough of them did to make the film worth sitting through. Once the party gets started we obviously get a lot of drunken humor with people doing very stupid things for jokes. Some of the funniest moments involve Courtney B. Vance who plays the man that the leads are trying to impress. I won't say what happens to him but Vance is quite funny here. I also thought Miller was quite good in his role and both Bateman and Olivia Munn are good for what they're asked to do. Aniston plays pretty much the same type of character she did in HORRIBLE BOSSES but she was at least fun to watch.

The story here is pretty weak and especially a third act where our lead is taken hostage by a hooker and her pimp. The finale is also pretty stupid but as I said the screenplay really wasn't developed too well. For the most part OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTY is the dirty comedy you'd expect.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.