The Prestige (2006)
Nolan doesn't disappoint
20 March 2018
The Prestige is directed by Christopher Nolan and stars Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale as two magicians that worked side by side until a tragic accident lead them to separate and now, they develop a deadly feud between them.

This is a fantastic movie. One of Nolan's best yet again. Nolan is such an inspiration, he hasn't made a bad film, and I hope he doesn't. This guy knows how to make a film. The story was written by his brother, and Chris turned it into a film, just like "Memento".

Christian Bale gives a great performance as Alfred Borden, a magician known as the Professor. Same goes for Hugh Jackman as Robert Angier. Very well depicted characters, each with a sole purpose.

The writing in this film is excellent. Nolan brought the script to life with these nailbiting scenes. The death of Angier's wife was the point in which Alfred and Robert separated their friendship and became rivals. They then go on their separate performances and make new tricks. Some of the tricks would be sabotaged by the either Robert or Alfred, for instance, one scene where Alfred is displaying a trick with a gun, he has a volunteer. That volunteer is Angier, who takes the gun and slips in a real bullet then shoots off Alfred's fingers. That was where the violence started in their rivalry.

The friction between Angier and Borden is very great. Hugh and Bale have great chemistry on screen together and I love how they got back at each other.

The death of Borden's wife, Sarah, was unexpected for me. That was a mighty surprise where I was like WHAT?!

Then, at the end, the plot twist was revealed, where Alfred actually had a twin who was his double. His double was the one that was going to prison and he was actually the other man, I forgot his name, who then revealed himself to Angier at the end. It was a very good twist and I loved it.

However, there is one thing I didn't like.

During the time Angier went to see Tesla, played by David Bowie, there was always a shift in seasons, where it snowed and then it was green again, and it was confusing to get my head around it, but that is all.

Overall: 9/10
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.