"The Bandit is Back and Better Than Ever" ???!!!
27 August 2017
We all know that Smokey and the Bandit (1977) was a big hit which led to Smokey and the Bandit II (1980), and Smokey and the Bandit III (1983). And we all know that Smokey and the Bandit (1977) was the first, and the last, good movie in that series too!

Since the first scene with Burt Reynolds so drunk, to the extent of not being able to walk or talk-this movie establishes itself as something unfunny and boring. Reynolds wasn't there as the energetic and cheerful Bandit that we all loved once. What I watched was someone else trying fruitlessly to be him!

Once in The Twilight Zone TV show, Reynolds played a cocky actor who got punched in the face by Shakespeare. And during watching him in this movie, I was yelling: "Where's Shakespeare when you need one?!". Reynolds didn't spend any effort, thinking that HE is an enough entertainment apart. I believe his plan was: Do nothing, and your charisma and goofy smile would do it for you. So maybe he was really drunk in that first scene. Frankly, considering his condition throughout the movie, he was either drunk or sick!

If any of that is right, then it won't be the only art-being-life case in here. Sorrowfully, the love story established in the first movie is gone with wind this round. Because the real life lovers, Sally Field and Burt Reynolds, were having a breakup. So that's why the scene where Filed (Frog) announces her ending the relationship to Reynolds (Bandit) was written by Field. Simply Reynolds let her express her feelings about the breakup on film. The thing is it doesn't add anything to the movie as a comedy, rather it's pretty sad event to be in a comedy, so why to include it in the movie in the first place??!! It tells you a lot about how EGO destroyed this movie so early. The same ego that Filed was complaining about in that very scene!

It's clear that the pathetic script continues the first movie disgracefully. The original Smokey and the Bandit was enjoyable chase of a movie, now this one is too slow for its own good, and doesn't want to fatigue itself to make action. Instead, they're chattering. Grrrr! Chattering in a Smokey and the Bandit movie is like chattering in a Star Wars movie. Wait, they have done that! But at least it took them 3 fine movies first, then 16 years to make a chatty one; between Return of the Jedi (1983) and The Phantom Menace (1999). This time, it's just 3 years, and it's part 2 already!

Comedy got nothing to do with bore, I mean this movie. How come that Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Buford T. Justice isn't funny? But this is the movie's miraculous stupidity. And with Gleason playing more characters, still the result isn't funny (Fairly, it's super silly!). Even the bloopers reel isn't funny!! The same can be said about Hal Needham's direction. Surprisingly it had no sense of humor. And when you read that his response to panning the movie by critics was taking out a full page ad in "Variety", depicting himself sitting on a wheelbarrow full of cash-you have to guess that Reynolds wasn't the only one with self-destructive ego around!

And since misery loves company, there were some weird stuff going on as well. For instance, the scene of "You must love me"??, Reynolds was mocking at himself, yet in real life. So it's like inside joke that nobody would get except him, and the ones behind the camera, especially Filed. Add to that the cloud scene. OK, what was that about?!!

It seems that the sole saving grace about it is the big action scene near the end. They as if thought that it would compensate for the endless downsides. But despite its ambitious hugeness, it didn't. It looks extremely absurd. Enough to tell you, that while watching it I wrote in my notebook: "Cars Genocide??", "Hollywood much ado about nothing", "How they got the nerve to make THIS as a sequel?!"

For any positive points, I liked the line: "Everybody is somebody", nothing more!

When an action comedy has little action and comedy, then it's not that good. And when it has no action or comedy, then it's bad. Smokey and the Bandit II (1980) is bad. It's ruined by a combination of ego and laziness, which makes its tagline / my review's title a crime of fraudulent representation. Btw, in terms of plot and characters, it looks like Clint Eastwood's Any Which Way You Can, released in the same year. I just hoped it to be like a movie released 3 years earlier named Smokey and the Bandit!

..GOD! Even the color of Reynolds's new shirt was bad!!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.