Braga had promised "Valentine to the fans" – if you throw stones at girlfriend or wife on Valentines Day, he wasn't lying
21 March 2013
It had been a rather rough and bumpy ride over the last four seasons, and by the final episode, there was the distinct certainty, that there would be no more. However, other than in the previous series, there was an air of relief. There had been too little character-development and way too few elements that would have kept the fan rooting for a continuation. Sure, the show had its moments, but those generally came from guest-appearances like Brent Spiner, Paul Weller and especially Jeffrey Combs; and that's no feat of glory when a shows appeal lies in waiting for satisfying guest-stars.

But, knowing that the end was nigh, one did hope for a final firework; something to conjure up the magic that made shows like "The Next Generation" or "DS9" classics of (Science Fiction)-TV. After four seasons, it had become relatively clear that the scriptwriters were true hacks; hence I was ready to bet my head that there would be a guest-appearance from somebody from the prior series. But who would it be? Sure, it would have been far-fetched to expect Patrick Steward or Leonard Nimoy to appear and shake Captain Archers Hand (and as said: Spiner had already made his appearance), but perhaps Geordie LaForge? After all, LeVar Burton had directed a couple of episodes. Maybe Worf, Odo or Captain Sisko from "DS9"? "All too good for the likes of our audience", the producer (presumably) mumbled to himself and cast the needy-looking host from "X-Factor" as special-guest. Hey, none of us is getting younger or handsomer (with the exception of Sophia Loren perhaps, but that's another story) and far be it from me to deny Jonathan Frakes a handful of dollars; mans got to eat and pay the rent. But the final episode of a "Star Trek"-series should aspire to grandness, not inspire pity and next to Will Shatner himself, Frakes is the definition of washed-out has-been.

Now, apart from the pointless, detracting "guest-appearance", what else did the screenwriters have in store for this celebration? The subplot of Shrans kidnapped daughter might have made a mediocre-to-alright episode, but for the final episode it simply raised the stink of lackluster, lazy screen writing which had plagued roughly 70 percent of the show.

But perhaps I'm being too pessimistic; perhaps my expectation are too high and I should tell myself that it could have been much worst: they could have shown Picard and Riker playing a computer-game in the intro, blowing up the Enterprise, telling us that it was all a game in the holodeck all along, followed by a montage of Kirk fighting the Gorm, digitally stretched to 40 minutes.

Ach, who am I kidding? Should have gone out with a big bang – went out with the noise of flatulence.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.