The Vagina Monologues (2002 TV Movie)
Fascinating... yet disgusting.
26 April 2007
by Dane Youssef

"The Vagina Monologues" is something that was inevitable. And essential to it's target audience. Or should I say, it's "built-in audience?" A built-in audience which makes up more than half the population on this planet.

One thing I could not understand for the life of me...

Now keep in mind...

I understood why so many women got into it. I understood why it was a big hit, even the foundation for a revolution. And I understood why the thing eventually This thing won an Obie for Best New Play. Why? This is NOT a play. This is nothing like a play. It's a bunch of, well... vagina monologues. Jokes and stories about... "the smell," jokes and stories about sex, bleeding and whatnot. The vagina is an opening to the woman herself.

Not merely her body, but who she truly is as a person. An opening into another whole world... her world. I couldn't finish it cause I got too creeped out by what was going on. Yeeesh. I told my sister Brie about some of it and what I was reading and she was horrified. "That's sick! I don't wanna hear about any of that nasty stuff!"

Hey, she was right. This is the kind of thing that is for women who are comfortable with their... you know.

"TVM" contains... well, exactly what the title promises. Musings, insights, poetry... even stories of sex, rape and abortion. All deep links as to... what's going on "down there." And how it connects... to everything else around.

Most guys would rather hear a group of women talking about their monthly... you know... than hear this.

I recommend this for women... who want to hear touching female stories and experiences. But not for any guy. Anywhere. Ever. It's "The Vagina Monologues." You know what to expect. You know if you're the audience.

You know who you are.

NOTE: I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE. BUT I HAVE READ THE PUBLISHED WRITINGS FROM COVER-TO-COVER. THIS IS A REVIEW ENTIRELY BASED ON THE WRITTEN TEXT. AND SINCE THIS IS REALLY JUST A WOMAN READING STUFF OFF A PAGE, I BELIEVE THAT IT WOULD BE APPROPRIATE TO WRITE A REVIEW JUDGED BY READING THE PAGE MYSELF.

by Dane Youssef
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.