Review of Sky High

Sky High (2005)
Not Oscar Worthy but Fun
1 August 2005
It's been some time since I was in high school but I don't think any us of totally forget what it was like to have to deal with cliques- especially when the school encouraged them!

I won't repeat what others have said but I liked how Captain Stronghold and Jetstream played good Cleaver 'rents who expected a great deal from their son but were by no means total tyrants. Kurt Russell and Kelly Preston played the roles with just the right amount of broadness and heart. I thought it was funny how as soon Will told them that the unauthorized party wasn't his idea, they shrugged it off. And did anyone else laugh out loud at the fact that the 'cool' teens went to the trouble to commandeer the house behind parents' backs for a BIG party yet they didn't bring any refreshments stronger than soda?! ONLY in a Disney movie!

Also, I liked how they added interesting touches such as Warren being able to speak Chinese fluently (even though this had absolutely nothing to do with the main plot) . Or how when the 'civilian' couple saw a teen perform a feat of strength that would have taken Supe himself aback, it was the husband who fainted and wouldn't anyone else like to have the number of their roofer/house builder who constructed the house and roof sturdy enough to withstand thousands of extra tons in one spot?

Oh, and a shout out to Cloris Leachman for playing the school nurse who was SO much like my childhood pediatrician- right down to her white pigtails, candy and medical explanations!

Not rocket science or anything deep but it was fun and I was ready for the laughs!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.