Review of Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump (1994)
A great fantasy story with a lifetime of messages for all of us.
2 September 2001
Once again, I watched "Forrest Gump" for Christmas. While it isn't a "Christmas Movie", to me it contains a message that is better than most Christmas movies. I have seen it a number of times over the years, I own the DVD. Sometimes I hesitate, because it is so long, but once I am watching it the time passes quickly, there is never a dull moment.

To me the story here embodies the main messages that any of us should carry through life. Don't dwell on your shortcomings, look towards your opportunities. Play on your strengths. Be diligent, treat others well, be willing to learn from others, always give it your best. And it does all this in an entertaining way, through the fictional escapades of Gump.

This is told in a fantasy story, of a young boy with leg braces and an I.Q. of 75, whose mother refused to let that get Forrest down. She always encouraged him. He never sought fame, but by sheer luck found himself in situations where his latent talents could come forward and shine.

Tom Hanks of course is super as grown-up Forrest, and I believe this movie is well on its way to becoming a classic the way "A Wonderful Life" has become a classic.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.