Top News

'Incredibles 2' Delivers Record-Shattering $180 Million Opening Weekend

'Incredibles 2' Delivers Record-Shattering $180 Million Opening Weekend
Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2 delivered a massive opening weekend debut, not only shattering the previous opening weekend record for an animated film, but finishing with one of the top ten openings of all-time for a film of any genre. Additionally, Warner Bros.'s R-rated comedy Tag debuted in third position while Sony's Superfly fell short of expectations. With an estimated $180 million, Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2 topped the previous opening weekend for an animated film set two years ago by Finding Dory with $135 million. On top of that, the film's opening weekend is the eighth largest all-time, topping the $179.1 million opening for 2016's Captain America: Civil War, which went on to gross over $500 million at the domestic box office. As for Incredibles 2's domestic future, an "A+" CinemaScore and an opening of this size seems to suggest a $500+ million domestic performance is in the offing, which
See full article at Box Office Mojo »

Martin Bregman, Legendary Producer of 'Scarface' and 'Dog Day Afternoon,' Dies at 92

Martin Bregman, Legendary Producer of 'Scarface' and 'Dog Day Afternoon,' Dies at 92
Martin Bregman, the seasoned producer behind Scarface and Dog Day Afternoon, has died at 92, Wnbc 4 New York reported Saturday night. The producer died of a cerebral hemorrhage on Saturday evening, the outlet reported.

Bregman, who actor Al Pacino once described in a Hollywood Reporter interview as "my guy," also produced Carlito's Way, Serpico and Sea of Love with the actor, and was slated to produce David Ayer's upcoming adaptation of Scarface.

Pacino has often credited the producer with offering him crucial early career guidance. "I'm missing a lot not having him around anymore," Pacino said in a 2014 ...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

‘The Man Who Killed Don Quixote’: Terry Gilliam Loses Court Battle, No Longer Owns Rights to Long-Delayed Film

‘The Man Who Killed Don Quixote’: Terry Gilliam Loses Court Battle, No Longer Owns Rights to Long-Delayed Film
After a decades-long production process that saw several failed iterations and even a documentary about its making, Terry Gilliam’s “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” appeared to have a happy ending when it finally premiered at Cannes last month. Mixed reviews followed, and now Gilliam has lost a protracted court battle over the rights to his long-delayed passion project: The Paris Court of Appeal has ruled in favor of former producer Paulo Branco, who sued Gilliam over rights to the project.

The filmmaker has also been ordered to pay Branco’s Alfama Films €10,000 in fees. He previously won a case that allowed him to screen “Don Quixote” at Cannes, though the victory was short-lived. ”The ruling means that the rights to the film belong to Alfama. Any exploitation of the film up until now has been completely illegal and without the authorisation of Alfama,” Branco told Screen Daily.
See full article at Indiewire »

‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Tops Previous Film in Chinese Opening

  • The Wrap
‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Tops Previous Film in Chinese Opening
A week before it arrives in the U.S., “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” had its opening in China this weekend, earning a $111 million launch. That tops the $97.5 million made by the first “Jurassic World” in 2015, and that total included $30 million from two whole days of previews.

In the Chinese box office record books, “Fallen Kingdom” has now entered the top ten highest opening weekends for that market, sitting in the No. 8 spot. It ranks fourth among opening weekends for import films, sitting behind “The Fate of the Furious,” “Avengers: Infinity War,” and “Transformers: The Last Knight.”
See full article at The Wrap »

Chris Hardwick Fallout: All the Outlets Distancing Themselves After Abuse Accusation

Chris Hardwick Fallout: All the Outlets Distancing Themselves After Abuse Accusation
Geek culture avatar Chris Hardwick has seen swift blowback after actress and former Nerdist host Chloe Dykstra posted a damning online essay late Thursday accusing her ex-boyfriend of “sexual assault,” “controlling behavior” and career sabotage.

Though Hardwick on Friday vehemently denied the sexual assault accusation, he mostly sidestepped her other claims beyond saying, “I’m devastated to read that she is now accusing me of conduct that did not occur.”

But major companies that work with Hardwick were quick to respond and publicly hit the pause button on their professional relationship.

Here they are (so far):
See full article at The Wrap »

‘Ocean’s 8’ Star Calls Out ‘Unfair’ Dominance of White Male Film Critics

  • The Wrap
‘Ocean’s 8’ Star Calls Out ‘Unfair’ Dominance of White Male Film Critics
Ocean’s 8” star Mindy Kaling had some salt for white male film critics during a recent interview, criticizing the lack of diversity in film criticism and how that affects the reception of works featuring non-white and female performers.

“If I had to base my career on what white men wanted I would be very unsuccessful,” said Kaling in an interview with Yahoo. “So there is obviously an audience out there who want to watch things like [Ocean’s 8], what I work on, what Sarah [Paulson] works on.”
See full article at The Wrap »

Why Is a Documentary about Mr. Rogers a Hit? Because it Turns Him into a Rock Star for Our Time

Why Is a Documentary about Mr. Rogers a Hit? Because it Turns Him into a Rock Star for Our Time
It’s difficult, and always has been, for a documentary to break through the clutter and beam itself onto the radar of mainstream moviegoing. When one succeeds in doing so, it’s revealing to look at why. “Rbg,” an incisive portrait of the Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, is a major documentary hit, but it doesn’t take rocket science to grasp the reasons for its success. The film presents Ginsburg, quite rightfully, as a feminist superhero of progressive action — a crusader who’s become an icon of the resistance.

Yet who would have guessed that “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?,” Morgan Neville’s transporting documentary about Fred Rogers and his quirky oasis of children’s television, would also turn out to be a tale for our time? Audiences lining up to see it are probably having the same experience I did: You walk in thinking that you
See full article at Variety - Film News »

What 'Incredibles 2' Says About the Modern Superhero Craze

What 'Incredibles 2' Says About the Modern Superhero Craze
Out of the many filmmakers whose careers have soared thanks to working at Pixar Animation Studios, just two have leapt from animation to live-action: Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird. Stanton was the director of the 2012 science-fiction adventure John Carter, which sadly wasn’t able to break out at the box office, so just a few years later, he shifted back to animation with Finding Dory, a sequel to what had been his most financially successful film yet, Finding Nemo. Bird has directed two live-action films: the superlative Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol and the 2015 sci-fi tale Tomorrowland, the latter of which was also unsuccessful ...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

Fox’s Newest Dramas Will Run During Commercial Breaks (Exclusive)

Fox’s Newest Dramas Will Run During Commercial Breaks (Exclusive)
Fox Networks Group hopes to make its commercial breaks as dramatic as the action in some of its best-known series, like “9-1-1,” “American Horror Story” or “Lethal Weapon.”

Starting this fall, Fox outlets like Fox Broadcasting, FX, Nat Geo and their digital counterparts will begin running inspirational videos that tell stories about people who have overcome adversity. These tales won’t take part over the course of 22 episodes, but will instead show up during advertising time, and Fox hopes to get marketers to sponsor them. Pharamaceutical companies, sports advertisers, insurance marketers and wellness firms are viewed as potential candidates
See full article at Variety - TV News »

'Set It Up': How the Netflix Rom-Com Was Aided by Hollywood Assistants' Horror Stories

'Set It Up': How the Netflix Rom-Com Was Aided by Hollywood Assistants' Horror Stories
[The following story contains mild spoilers from Set It Up.]

While Set It Up writer Katie Silberman and producer Juliet Berman met as Hollywood assistants, they insist they worked for wonderful bosses. But hearing horror stories of other assistants grappling with the unreasonable demands of their horrible bosses inspired them to turn those tales into the romantic comedy, Set It Up, now streaming on Netflix.

In the film, Zoey Deutch and Glen Powell play overworked assistants to a powerful sports reporter (Lucy Liu) and investment executive (Taye Diggs), respectively. Frustrated by having to tend to their bosses needs around the clock, they conspire ...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

Emma Roberts Pretty Much Confirms Madison Is Back for the Big ‘AHS’ Crossover

  • The Wrap
Emma Roberts Pretty Much Confirms Madison Is Back for the Big ‘AHS’ Crossover
If you had your money on the return of Emma Roberts for the next season of “American Horror Story,” collect your winnings. Judging from a video the actress posted to Instagram on Sunday, Madison Montgomery is returning from the dead, again, for the Ryan Murphy show’s big “Murder House”-“Coven” crossover.

In the extremely short video, Roberts pops into the frame dressed as Madison and basically makes an “Ahs” meme reality by saying “Surprise, bitch. Bet you thought you’d seen the last of me.” The video is set to auto-repeat which just feels so appropriate considering how apparently impossible it is to keep Madison dead.
See full article at The Wrap »

John Travolta’s ‘Gotti’ Whacked at Box Office With $1.6 Million Debut

  • The Wrap
John Travolta’s ‘Gotti’ Whacked at Box Office With $1.6 Million Debut
After an extremely bumpy road into theaters, the John Travolta crime biopic “Gotti” has gotten kneecapped at the box office, earning just $1.67 million from 503 screens.

While almost all of Travolta’s films in the last 30 years have been either in extremely limited release or with screen counts of 2,500 or more, this counts as the worst opening for the actor since the 1991 film “Shout,” which opened to $1.61 million on 968 screens and was considered one of the star’s biggest pre-“Pulp Fiction” flops.

But “Gotti” hasn’t been able to find similar success this weekend, posting a per-screen average of just $3,320. Analysts told TheWrap prior to this weekend that “Gotti” needed to make around $3 million — or a $6,000 PSA — to be considered a successful launch.
See full article at The Wrap »

HBO Orders ‘Storm Over Brooklyn’ Documentary About 1989 Murder of Black Teenager

HBO has greenlit “Storm Over Brooklyn,” from Muta’Ali (pictured), and which was the winner of a new initiative to promote diversity in feature documentaries. The project will tell the story of Yusuf Hawkins, a black teenager who was shot and murdered in 1989 after being trapped by a group of white youths in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn.

Muta’Ali’s film will explore a crime that shocked New York and the wider U.S. Hawkins’ murder led to marches and protests that contributed to the ousting of New York City Mayor Ed Koch in favour of David Dinkins, who became the city
See full article at Variety - TV News »

Jason Blum-Donald Tang Hatch Chinese Genre Film Production Pact

Donald Tang’s Tang Media Partnership has struck a feature film collaboration venture with Blumhouse Productions, the company of ace Hollywood producer Jason Blum.

The companies aim to co-develop and co-finance low budget genre movies, made in the Chinese language for consumption by Chinese audiences.

No production targets were set beyond the first picture, which is now at the scripting stage. The film has no title or director attached, but is expected to shoot at Blum’s U.S. facility within the next 12 months. Typically of Blum’s output, the budget ceiling is maximum of $5 million. China theatrical distribution is to be handled through Tmp’s Chinese unit and local partnerships.

“We are looking to take our low budget system and apply it in China,” Blum told Variety. “We are looking at local books, local legends, and having local creatives at involved at the development and script stage.”

“Horror-thrillers are
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Shanghai: Nicolas Cage Touts Next Film Project 'Primal'

Shanghai: Nicolas Cage Touts Next Film Project 'Primal'
Bearded, besuited and wearing a bold pair of mirrored sunglasses, Nicolas Cage swept into the Shanghai International Film Festival over the weekend to tease his latest movie and walk the event's red carpet as a special guest.

Appearing at a small media briefing before the festival's opening ceremony, Hollywood's hardest-working actor met the Chinese press and credited the local audience for the endurance of his film career (he's appeared in over 80 films).

"I've been very blessed to have extremely loyal fans in China and thank you for that," Cage said. "It'...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

Film Review: ‘Billy Boy’

Film Review: ‘Billy Boy’
Mean Streets” may have reflected the New York City that Martin Scorsese knew, but more often than not, its many imitators reveal how little posers seem to know about acting streetwise. And yet, that doesn’t stop successive generations from trying their hand at sharing their own tales of hard-luck youth on the mean streets of … wherever they hail from, as in “Billy Boy,” whose angsty young male protagonists tempt cruel fate in a city the movie never quite gets around to naming. (There are indications “Boy” was shot in L.A. and Detroit.)

You can’t fault now-25-year-old “American Animals” co-star Blake Jenner too harshly for this shallow muddle of a screenplay, as he was apparently still in his teens when he wrote it several years ago. However, inexperience is not a viable excuse for director Bradley Bueckner, even if this is his first directorial feature. He’s been a busy editor,
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Blumhouse Teams With Tang Media Partners to Make Horror Movies for China (Exclusive)

Blumhouse Teams With Tang Media Partners to Make Horror Movies for China (Exclusive)
Jason Blum's low-budget, high-concept approach to the horror movie has made him a force to be reckoned with in Hollywood. Now, the influential producer is betting he can do the same in China, the world's fastest-growing and soon-to-be-biggest film market.

Blum's studio, Blumhouse Productions, will make its foray into China via an ambitious new partnership with Tang Media Partners, the Shanghai- and Los Angeles-based entertainment company founded by Donald Tang in 2015.

Blum and Tang unveiled the pact Monday at the Shanghai International Film Festival. The two partners said they have entered into a collaboration agreement to ...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

WWE ‘Mitb': Watch Braun Strowman Throw Kevin Owens Off the Tallest Ladder You’ve Ever Seen (Video)

So, Kevin Owens is probably dead. Midway through the main event of Sunday’s WWE “Money in the Bank” pay-per-view, Braun Strowman threw perpetual instigator Owens off of the tallest A-frame ladder we’ve ever seen.

K.O. ended up K.O.’d after landing through a table many, many feet below.

Watch the dangerous maneuver unfold below. And as WWE warns us before every PPV: Do not try this at home.

The absolute Worst scenario of @BraunStrowman telling you to #GetTheseHands:#Mitb @FightOwensFight pic.twitter.com/weHxEXTZaB

— WWE (@WWE) June 18, 2018

Also Read: Yes, WWE 'SmackDown' on Fox Will Still Be Live (Exclusive)

Later, Strowman ran through another ladder. You read that right.

Yeah, the “Monster Among Men” ended up winning the match. Who was going to stop him? Not Sunday night opponents Owens, Bobby Roode, Kofi Kingston, Finn Balor, The Miz, Samoa Joe, and Rusev.

Monster In The Bank.
See full article at The Wrap »

Party Report: Inside The Chainsmokers’ First La ‘Homecoming’ Show Since 2016 (Photos)

The L.A.-based Chainsmokers finally returned for a homecoming show on Thursday night (June 14), their first since 2016, a lifetime ago for the award-winning, globe-trotting A-listers. After playing a festival in Korea days earlier, they brought the pyro and pop hits to the Wiltern for a private show hosted by American Airlines and Mastercard. Jake Miller and dance star Jordyn Jones (4.5 million Instagram followers) were amongs those seeing the new stage show that includes drummer Matt McGuire (right), who has ascended to equal billing on stage like a third member of the duo.

Meanwhile in New York, other musical heavyweights celebrated at the Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. Reality TV singing competition judge alums Steven Tyler and Usher got close, as The Weeknd presented an award to Sir Lucian Grainge.

Elise Loehnen and host Gwyneth Paltrow toasted to the crowd at Paltrow’s “In goop Health” summit in Culver City.
See full article at The Wrap »

You’ll Have to Wait Another Month to Find Out the Title of ‘Ahs’ Season 8

  • The Wrap
You’ll Have to Wait Another Month to Find Out the Title of ‘Ahs’ Season 8
American Horror Story” fans who flocked to Twitter Sunday night hoping to get substantial details about the upcoming season 8 from Ryan Murphy will have to wait a little longer. But don’t grumble too much, because it’s for a good cause.

While live-tweeting the latest episode of his new FX show “Pose,” Murphy, with some help from Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters and Emma Roberts, announced a charity contest to benefit Children’s Hospital Los Angeles — and the winner will find out both the title and plot of “Ahs” season 8 before everyone else does.

And better still, directly from Paulson and Peters in person.

Here’s what live tweeting #PoseFx actually looks like hehe @Evan_Peters @MrRPMurphy pic.twitter.com/Vz9Z2GcAgy

— Emma Roberts (@RobertsEmma) June 18, 2018

Also Read: 'American Horror Story' Season 8 Will Be One Long 'Murder House' and 'Coven' Crossover

To enter, fans can make a donation
See full article at The Wrap »
An error has occured. Please try again.