Mini Bio (1)
Matthias grew up in enclosed West-Berlin, super8 film all around due to his father's obsession to record family life. Early on he started shooting stop-motion shorts, documentaries and a 30' short filmed in Super8 CinemaScope at the age of 16. After a brief look into studying meteorology he got another offer to work in a commercial production - and never went back. Making his way through the technical jobs behind the camera in feature and music video productions Matthias finally graduated as a DP from german Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg with more than 20 shorts in the cans and a handful of awards and an Academy Award nomination as honorary foreign student film of the short "Dr. Cuddle", directed by Anja Jacobs. Formerly based in Berlin and Buenos Aires Matthias has shot over a dozen feature films with theatrical release and some tv movies and commercials since then. Right now he lives in Berlin and Munich.
- since 1987 shooting short films in super8mm
- 1992 lab internship at ARRIcontrast Berlin
- 1992-1994 work as electrician, 1st assistant camera, dolly grip at student films of the 'Hochschule fuer Film und Fernsehen' (University for Film and TV of) Potsdam-Babelsberg'
- 1993-1995 work as freelance electrician
- since 1995 work as freelance gaffer
- since 1996 work as a freelance 1st assistant camera
- 1998-2003 enrolled at the Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg, graduation as 'Director of Photography'
- aug-sept/2003 Budapest Cinematography Masterclass 2003 (Zsigmond/Kovacs)
- since 2011 giving lectures at Deutsche Film- und Fernsehakademie Berlin (dffb), Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg, Hamburg Media School, Hochschule fuer Fernsehen und Film Munich (HFF Munich)
- IMDb Mini Biography By: Matthias Fleischer