- Biography: "Dorothy Dandridge."
- (1988) Book: "Blacks in American Film and Television: An Encyclopedia"
- (2001) Book: "Toms, Coons, Mulattos, Mammies and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films".
- (1992) Wrote the introduction for "A Separate Cinema: Fifty Years of Black-Cast Posters" by John Kisch and Edward Mapp.
- (October 31, 2011 - November 6, 2011) Substitute prime-time host on the Turner Classic Movies cable channel. Regular host Robert Osborne was extended vacation.
- (2016) Book: "Elizabeth and Michael: The Queen of Hollywood and the King of Pop--A Love Story". New York: Atria Books. ISBN-10: 1451676972; ISBN-13: 9781451676976