- Birth nameJanusz Zygmunt Kaminski
- Height6′ 1″ (1.85 m)
- Janusz Kaminski is a Polish cinematographer and film director. He has established a partnership with Steven Spielberg, working as a cinematographer on his movies since 1993. He won the Academy Award for Best Cinematography for his work on Schindler's List (1993) and Saving Private Ryan (1998).
His other film's as an cinematographer includes Amistad (1997), A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001), Catch Me If You Can (2002), The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007), War Horse (2011), Lincoln (2012), Bridge of Spies (2015), The BFG (2016), and Ready Player One (2018).- IMDb Mini Biography By: Pedro Borges
- SpousesRebecca Rankin(January 12, 2004 - 2010) (divorced)Holly Hunter(May 20, 1995 - December 21, 2001) (divorced)
- Uses fog and intense light streaming through windows to create shafts of light
- Pushes film stock to achieve heavy grain
- Heavy pro-mist filters to bloom around highlights
- After Schindler's List (1993), he started recruiting Columbia College Chicago undergraduate students to work on his and Steven Spielberg's films as production assistants and grips in the camera department.
- Filmed Lady Gaga's screen test for the role of Ally in A Star Is Born (2018) at her L.A. home in a scene especially written for her by Bradley Cooper and Will Fetters. Kaminski had previously worked with LG on her music video Lady Gaga: Alejandro (2010).
- Roomed with Mauro Fiore when both were training as cinematographers. Along with friends Wally Pfister and Phedon Papamichael, all four apprenticed as cinematographers on various Roger Corman low budget films in the early days of their careers.
- His first name is pronounced "Ya-nush". A common misconception is that its pronunciation is the same as the mythical figure Janus.
- Truly, when you look at a horse, there are no emotions in its eyes. They don't blink, they don't smile and they don't get sad. They just get tired.
- I think there is more to cinematography than talking about cameras and film stock. It's like talking to a costume designer about what kind of sewing machine they use.
- Cinematography is the art of light and shadows, visual metaphors and nuance. 
Contribute to this page
Suggest an edit or add missing content