My Favorite Directors of All Timeby somazoid | created - 18 Jul 2016 | updated - 17 hours ago | Public
This is a list of all my favorite directors and their movies I like.
Writer | Dunkirk
Best known for his cerebral, often nonlinear, storytelling, acclaimed writer-director Christopher Nolan was born on July 30, 1970, in London, England. Over the course of 15 years of filmmaking, Nolan has gone from low-budget independent films to working on some of the biggest blockbusters ever made.
1. The Dark Knight (2008) 2. The Prestige (2006) 3. Inception (2010) 4. Memento (2000) 5. Batman Begins (2005) 6. Dunkirk (2017)
Director | Zwartboek
Paul Verhoeven graduated from the University of Leiden, with a degree in math and physics. He entered the Royal Netherlands Navy, where he began his film career by making documentaries for the Navy and later for TV. In 1969, he directed the popular Dutch TV series, Floris (1969), about a medieval ...
1. Starship Troopers (1997) 2. RoboCop (1987) 3. Total Recall (1990) 4. Black Book (Zwartboek, 2006) 5. Basic Instinct (1992)
Director | Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi
Hayao Miyazaki is one of Japan's greatest animation directors. The entertaining plots, compelling characters, and breathtaking animation in his films have earned him international renown from critics as well as public recognition within Japan. The Walt Disney Company's commitment to introduce the ...
1. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika, 1984) 2. Princess Mononoke (Mononoke-hime, 1997) 3. Porco Rosso (Kurenai no buta, 1992) 4. Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi, 2001) 5. Castle in the Sky (Tenkû no shiro Rapyuta, 1986)
Writer | Reservoir Dogs
Quentin Jerome Tarantino was born in Knoxville, Tennessee. His father, Tony Tarantino, is an Italian-American actor and musician from New York, and his mother, Connie (McHugh), is a nurse from Tennessee. Quentin moved with his mother to Torrance, California, when he was four years old.
In January of...
1. The Hateful Eight (2015) 2. Inglourious Basterds (2009) 3. Kill Bill: Volume 1 (2003) 4. Reservoir Dogs (1992) 5. Pulp Fiction (1994) 6. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019)
Director | Blade Runner 2049
Denis Villeneuve is a French Canadian film director and writer. He was born in 1967, in Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada. He started his career as a filmmaker at the National Film Board of Canada. He is best known for his feature films Arrival (2016), Sicario (2015), Prisoners (2013), Enemy (2013), ...
1. Sicario (2015) 2. Arrival (2016) 3. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) 4. Prisoners (2013)
Producer | Schindler's List
One of the most influential personalities in the history of cinema, Steven Spielberg is Hollywood's best known director and one of the wealthiest filmmakers in the world. He has an extraordinary number of commercially successful and critically acclaimed credits to his name, either as a director, ...
1. Jurassic Park (1993) 2. Jaws (1975) 3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) 4. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) 5. Duel (1971) 6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) 7. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) 8. Minority Report (2002)
7. Johnnie To
Director | San taam
With over thirty directing and producing credits to his name, Johnnie To enjoyed international breakthroughs with Election (2005), Election 2 (2006) (aka "Triad Election") and Exiled (2006); those films enjoyed multiple international film festival appearances and were separately sold to more than ...
1. Exiled (Fong juk, 2006) 2. The Longest Nite (1998) [Ghost-directed by Johnnie To] 3. The Mission (Cheung foh, 1999) 4. The Big Heat (Seng fat dak ging, 1988) 5. Running Out of Time (Am zin, 1999)
Producer | Mad Max: Fury Road
George Miller is an Australian film director, screenwriter, producer, and former medical doctor. He is best known for his Mad Max franchise, with Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) and Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) being hailed as amongst the greatest action films of all time. Aside from the Mad Max ...
1. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) 2. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) 3. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) 4. Mad Max (1979) 5. The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
Producer | Kick-Ass
Matthew Vaughn is an English film producer and director. He is known for producing such films as Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) and Snatch (2000) and for directing the crime thriller, Layer Cake (2004), the fantasy epic, Stardust (2007), the superhero comedy, Kick-Ass (2010), and the ...
1. X-Men: First Class (2011) 2. Layer Cake (2004) 3. Kick-Ass (2010) 4. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
10. Kevin Smith
Producer | Clerks
Kevin Patrick Smith was born in Red Bank but grew up in Highlands, New Jersey, the son of Grace (Schultz) and Donald E. Smith, a postal worker. He is very proud of his native state; this fact can be seen in all of his movies. Kevin is of mostly German, with some Irish and English, ancestry.
1. Clerks (1994) 2. Chasing Amy (1997) 3. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001) 4. Clerks II (2006) 5. Mallrats (1995)
11. James Cameron
Writer | Avatar
James Francis Cameron was born on August 16, 1954 in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada. He moved to the United States in 1971. The son of an engineer, he majored in physics at California State University before switching to English, and eventually dropping out. He then drove a truck to support his ...
1. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) 2. Aliens (1986) 3. The Terminator (1984) 4. True Lies (1994) 5. Avatar (2009)
12. Chan-wook Park
Director | Ah-ga-ssi
Chan-wook Park was born on August 23, 1963 in Seoul, South Korea. He is a director and producer, known for The Handmaiden (2016), Thirst (2009) and Oldboy (2003). He is married to Eun-hee Kim. They have one child.
1. Oldboy (2003) 2. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Chinjeolhan geumjassi, 2005) 3. The Handmaiden (Ah-ga-ssi, 2016) 4. I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (Ssa-i-bo-geu-ji-man-gwen-chan-a, 2006) 5. Three... Extremes: Cut (Saam gaang yi, 2004)
13. Michael Mann
Producer | The Insider
A student of London's International Film School, Michael Mann began his career in the late 70s, writing for TV shows like Starsky and Hutch (1975). He directed his first film, the award-winning prison drama The Jericho Mile (1979), in 1979. He followed that in 1981 with his first theatrical release,...
1. Heat (1995) 2. Collateral (2004) 3. The Last of the Mohicans (1992) 4. Manhunter (1986)
14. Edgar Wright
Director | Shaun of the Dead
Edgar Howard Wright (born 18 April 1974) is an English director, screenwriter, producer, and actor. He is best known for his comedic Three Flavours Cornetto film trilogy consisting of Shaun of the Dead (2004), Hot Fuzz (2007), and The World's End (2013), made with recurrent collaborators Simon Pegg...
1. Baby Driver (2017) 2. Hot Fuzz (2007) 3. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) 4. Shaun of the Dead (2004) 5. The World's End (2013)
15. Ridley Scott
Producer | The Martian
Described by film producer Michael Deeley as "the very best eye in the business", director Ridley Scott was born on November 30, 1937 in South Shields, Tyne and Wear (then County Durham). His father was an officer in the Royal Engineers and the family followed him as his career posted him ...
1. Alien (1979) 2. Blade Runner - The Final Cut (1982, 2007) 3. Kingdom of Heaven [Director's cut] (2005) 4. Gladiator (2000) 5. The Martian (2015)
16. Alfred Hitchcock
Director | Psycho
Alfred Joseph Hitchcock was born in Leytonstone, Essex, England. He was the son of Emma Jane (Whelan; 1863 - 1942) and East End greengrocer William Hitchcock (1862 - 1914). His parents were both of half English and half Irish ancestry. He had two older siblings, William Hitchcock (born 1890) and ...
1. Rear Window (1954) 2. North by Northwest (1959) 3. Rope (1948) 4. Rebecca (1940) 5. The Birds (1963)
17. David Fincher
Director | Se7en
David Fincher was born in 1962 in Denver, Colorado, and was raised in Marin County, California. When he was 18 years old he went to work for John Korty at Korty Films in Mill Valley. He subsequently worked at ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) from 1981-1983. Fincher left ILM to direct TV commercials...
1. Fight Club (1999) 2. Se7en (1995) 3. Gone Girl (2014) 4. The Game (1997) 5. Alien 3 (1992)
18. Robert Zemeckis
Writer | Back to the Future
A whiz-kid with special effects, Robert is from the Spielberg camp of film-making (Steven Spielberg produced many of his films). Usually working with writing partner Bob Gale, Robert's earlier films show he has a talent for zany comedy (Romancing the Stone (1984), 1941 (1979)) and special effect ...
1. Forrest Gump (1994) 2. Back to the Future (1985) 3. Back to the Future Part II (1989) 4. Romancing the Stone (1984) 5. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
Director | Punch-Drunk Love
Anderson was born in 1970. He was one of the first of the "video store" generation of film-makers. His father was the first man on his block to own a V.C.R., and from a very early age Anderson had an infinite number of titles available to him. While film-makers like Spielberg cut their teeth making...
1. Boogie Nights (1997) 2. Magnolia (1999) 3. The Master (2012) 4. There Will Be Blood (2007)
20. Joel Coen
Producer | The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Joel Coen was born on November 29, 1954 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA as Joel Daniel Coen. He is a producer and writer, known for The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018), Fargo (1996) and A Serious Man (2009). He has been married to Frances McDormand since April 1, 1984. They have one child.
1. The Big Lebowski (1998) 2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) 3. Raising Arizona (1987) 4. Miller's Crossing (1990) 5. Blood Simple. (1984)
21. Sam Mendes
Producer | 1917
Samuel Alexander Mendes was born on August 1, 1965 in Reading, England, UK to parents James Peter Mendes, a retired university lecturer, and Valerie Helene Mendes, an author who writes children's books. Their marriage didn't last long, James divorced Sam's mother in 1970 when Sam was just 5-...
1. American Beauty (1999) 2. Road to Perdition (2002) 3. Skyfall (2012)
Writer | Valhalla Rising
Writer, director, and producer Nicolas Winding Refn was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1970, to Anders Refn, a film director and editor, and Vibeke Winding (née Tuxen), a cinematographer. Just before he turned 11, in 1981, he moved to New York with his parents, where he lived out his teen years. ...
1. Drive (2011) 2. Pusher (1996) 3. Pusher II (2004) 4. Pusher 3 (2005) 5. Bronson (2008)
23. Sam Raimi
Director | Spider-Man
Highly inventive U.S. film director/producer/writer/actor Sam Raimi first came to the attention of film fans with the savage, yet darkly humorous, low-budget horror film, The Evil Dead (1981). From his childhood, Raimi was a fan of the cinema and, before he was ten-years-old, he was out making ...
1. Evil Dead II (1987) 2. Spider-Man 2 (2004) 3. A Simple Plan (1998) 4. Spider-Man (2002) 5. Army of Darkness (1992)
24. Jaume Balagueró
Writer | [Rec]
Jaume Balagueró was born on November 2, 1968 in Lleida, Lleida, Catalonia, Spain as Jaume Balagueró i Bernat. He is a writer and director, known for REC (2007), Sleep Tight (2011) and The Nameless (1999).
1. Sleep Tight (Mientras duermes, 2011) 2. [Rec] (2007)
25. David Ayer
Writer | End of Watch
David Ayer is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter. David Ayer was born in Champaign, Illinois and grew up in Bloomington, Minnesota, and Bethesda, Maryland, where he was kicked out of his house by his parents as a teenager. Ayer then lived with his cousin in Los Angeles, ...
1. End of Watch (2012) 2. Bright (2017) 3. Harsh Times (2005)
26. Adrian Lyne
Director | Jacob's Ladder
Adrian Lyne (Director/Writer/Producer) is the creative force behind some of the most talked-about movies of our time, among them, "Fatal Attraction", "9 1/2 Weeks", "Flashdance", "Indecent Proposal", "Jacob's Ladder" and "Unfaithful".
Born in Peterborough, England and raised in London, Lyne attended...
1. Jacob's Ladder (1990) 2. Lolita (1997) 3. Fatal Attraction (1987) 4. Unfaithful (2002) 5. Flashdance (1983)
27. Doug Liman
Producer | Edge of Tomorrow
1. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) 2. Go (1999) 3. American Made (2017)
Writer | The Lego Movie
Christopher Miller was born on September 23, 1975 in Everett, Washington, USA as Christopher Robert Miller. He is a producer and writer, known for The Lego Movie (2014), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) and 22 Jump Street (2014). He is married to Robyn Murgio. They have one child.
1. The Lego Movie (2014) 2. 21 Jump Street (2012) 3. 22 Jump Street (2014)
29. Phil Lord
Writer | The Lego Movie
Phil Lord was born on July 12, 1975 in Miami, Florida, USA as Philip A. Lord. He is a producer and writer, known for The Lego Movie (2014), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) and Clone High (2002).
1. The Lego Movie (2014) 2. 21 Jump Street (2012) 3. 22 Jump Street (2014)
30. Anthony Russo
Director | Avengers: Endgame
Anthony Russo was born on February 3, 1970 in Cleveland, Ohio, USA as Anthony J. Russo. He is a producer and director, known for Avengers: Endgame (2019), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).
1. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 3. Captain America: Civil War (2016) 4. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
31. Joe Russo
Director | Avengers: Endgame
Joe Russo was born on July 8, 1971 in Cleveland, Ohio, USA as Joseph Vincent Russo. He is a producer and director, known for Avengers: Endgame (2019), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).
1. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 3. Captain America: Civil War (2016) 4. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
32. Joss Whedon
Writer | Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Joss Whedon is the middle of five brothers - his younger brothers are Jed Whedon and Zack Whedon. Both his father, Tom Whedon and his grandfather, John Whedon were successful television writers. Joss' mother, Lee Stearns, was a history teacher and she also wrote novels as Lee Whedon. Whedon was ...
1. The Avengers (2012) 2. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) 3. Serenity (2005)
33. Tony Scott
Producer | Domino
Tony Scott was a British-born film director and producer. He was the youngest of three brothers, one of whom is fellow film director Ridley Scott. He was born in North Shields, Northumberland, England to parents Jean and Colonel Francis Percy Scott. As a result of his father's career in the British...
1. The Last Boy Scout (1991) 2. Top Gun (1986) 3. The Hunger (1983) 4. True Romance (1993) 5. Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
34. Dean DeBlois
Writer | How to Train Your Dragon
Dean DeBlois is a Canadian writer, director, and producer known best for having co-written and co-directed Disney's Lilo & Stitch (2002) and Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon (2010), both Oscar nominated. While working as an assistant animator and layout artist for Hinton Animation Studios ...
1. How to Train Your Dragon (2010) 2. How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)
35. Stephen Chow
Actor | Kung fu
Stephen Chow was the only boy of his family, and has grown up as a Bruce Lee fan and a martial arts addict. His career started on TV, where he presented a children show ( "430 Space Shuttle" (1983)) and started becoming popular. He got some supporting roles, after that, and won the Taiwanese Golden...
1. King of Comedy (Hei kek ji wong, 1999) 2. Shaolin Soccer (Siu Lam juk kau, 2001) 3. Kung Fu Hustle (Kung fu, 2004) 4. The God of Cookery (Sik san, 1996)
36. Jacques Audiard
Writer | De rouille et d'os
Born in Paris, France, in 1952. Jacques Audiard's family has always been involved in movie business. His father, Michel, was a popular screenwriter and director and his uncle a producer. But in his teens he refused that world and wanted to be a teacher. He studied literature and philosophy at the ...
1. A Prophet (Un prophète, 2009) 2. Rust and Bone (De rouille et d'os, 2012)
37. Ben Affleck
Producer | Argo
American actor and filmmaker Benjamin Géza Affleck-Boldt was born on August 15, 1972 in Berkeley, California, and was raised in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His mother, Chris Anne (née Boldt), is a school teacher, and his father, Timothy Byers Affleck, is a social worker; the two are divorced. Ben has...
1. The Town (2010) 2. Gone Baby Gone (2007)
38. Bryan Singer
Director | X-Men
Bryan Singer was born on September 17, 1965 in New York City, New York, USA as Bryan Jay Singer. He is a producer and director, known for X-Men (2000), The Usual Suspects (1995) and X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014).
1. X-Men 2 (2003) 2. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) 3. The Usual Suspects (1995) 4. X-Men (2000)
39. J.J. Abrams
Producer | Lost
Jeffrey Jacob Abrams was born in New York City and raised in Los Angeles, the son of TV producer parents. Abrams planned on going to dental school, but decided to study film at Sarah Lawrence College. At 15, he wrote the music for Don Dohler's Nightbeast (1982). In his senior year, he and Jill ...
1. Star Trek (2009) 2. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015) 3. Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013) 4. Mission: Impossible III (2006)
Writer | El laberinto del fauno
Guillermo del Toro was born October 9, 1964 in Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico. Raised by his Catholic grandmother, del Toro developed an interest in filmmaking in his early teens. Later, he learned about makeup and effects from the legendary Dick Smith (The Exorcist (1973)) and worked on making his ...
1. Blade II (2002) 2. The Devil's Backbone (El espinazo del diablo, 2001) 3. Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) 4. Pacific Rim (2013) 5. Mimic (1997)
41. Peter Jackson
Peter Jackson was born as an only child in a small coast-side town in New Zealand in 1961. When a friend of his parents bought him a super 8 movie camera (because she saw how much he enjoyed taking photos), the then eight-year-old Peter instantly grabbed the thing to start recording his own movies,...
1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) 3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 4. Braindead aka Dead Alive (1992) 5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
Director | Der Name der Rose
Jean-Jacques Annaud is a French film director, screenwriter and producer, best known for directing Quest for Fire (1981), The Name of the Rose (1986), The Lover (1992), Seven Years in Tibet (1997) and Wolf Totem (2015). Annaud has received numerous awards for his work, including four César Awards, ...
1. Quest for Fire (La guerre du feu, 1981) 2. Enemy at the Gates (2001) 3. Wolf Totem (Le dernier loup, 2015)
43. Darren Aronofsky
Director | Pi
Darren Aronofsky was born February 12, 1969, in Brooklyn, New York. Growing up, Darren was always artistic: he loved classic movies and, as a teenager, he even spent time doing graffiti art. After high school, Darren went to Harvard University to study film (both live-action and animation). He won ...
1. Requiem for a Dream (2000) 2. The Fountain (2006) 3. The Wrestler (2008) 4. Black Swan (2010)
44. Kar-Wai Wong
Writer | Yi dai zong shi
Wong Kar-wai (born 17 July 1956) is a Hong Kong Second Wave filmmaker, internationally renowned as an auteur for his visually unique, highly stylised, emotionally resonant work, including Ah fei zing zyun (1990), Dung che sai duk (1994), Chung Hing sam lam (1994), Do lok tin si (1995), Chun gwong ...
1. Ashes of Time (Dung che sai duk, 1994) 2. In the Mood for Love (Faa yeung nin wa, 2000) 3. Chungking Express (Chung Hing sam lam, 1994)
Writer | Adams æbler
Anders Thomas Jensen was born on 6th April 1972 in Frederiksværk on Sjælland in Denmark to Carl Benny Jensen and Kirsten Jensen (born Sørensen). He attended the high school in Frederiksværk from 1988 to 1991. In 1990 while still in high school, he wrote and directed 10 år på bagen - 3 år i skyggen ...
1. Adam's Apples (Adams æbler, 2005) 2. The Green Butchers (De grønne slagtere, 2003) 3. Flickering Lights (Blinkende lygter, 2000)
46. Danny Boyle
Director | 127 Hours
1. Trainspotting (1996) 2. Slumdog Millionaire (2008) 3. The Beach (2000) 4. T2 Trainspotting (2017)
Writer | The Others
Is the son of a Spanish mother and a Chilean father. His family moved back to Spain when he was 1 year old, and he grew up and studied in Madrid. He wrote, produced and directed his first short film La cabeza at the age of 19, and he was 23 when he directed his feature debut Thesis (1996). His film ...
1. Open Your Eyes (Abre los ojos, 1997) 2. The Others (2001) 3. The Sea Inside (Mar adentro, 2004)
48. Joel Schumacher
Director | The Phantom of the Opera
Joel Schumacher was born on August 29, 1939 in New York City, New York, USA as Joel T. Schumacher. He is a director and writer, known for The Phantom of the Opera (2004), Batman & Robin (1997) and 8MM (1999).
1. Phone Booth (2002) 2. Falling Down (1993) 3. The Lost Boys (1987) 4. 8MM (1999)
49. Ki-duk Kim
Writer | Bin-jip
He studied fine arts in Paris in 1990-1992. In 1993 he won the award for Best Screenplay from the Educational Institute of Screenwriting with "A Painter and A Criminal Condemned to Death". After two more screenplay awards, he made his directorial debut with Crocodile (1996). Then he went on to ...
1. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... And Spring (Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom, 2003) 2. 3-Iron (Bin-jip, 2004) 3. The Bow (Hwal, 2005)
50. Yimou Zhang
Director | Ying xiong
1. Hero (Ying xiong, 2002) 2. House of Flying Daggers (Shi mian mai fu, 2004) 3. Curse of the Golden Flower (Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia, 2006)
51. Tim Burton
Producer | Edward Scissorhands
Timothy Walter Burton was born in Burbank, California, to Jean Rae (Erickson), who owned a cat-themed gift shop, and William Reed Burton, who worked for the Burbank Park and Recreation Department. He spent most of his childhood as a recluse, drawing cartoons, and watching old movies (he was ...
1. Batman Returns (1992) 2. Ed Wood (1994) 3. Big Fish (2003) 4. Edward Scissorhands (1990) 5. Batman (1989)
52. Takashi Miike
Director | Koroshiya 1
Takashi Miike was born in the small town of Yao on the outskirts of Osaka, Japan. His main interest growing up was motorbikes, and for a while he harbored ambitions to race professionally. At the age of 18 he went to study at the film school in Yokohama founded by renowned director Shôhei Imamura, ...
1. Fudoh: The New Generation (Gokudô sengokushi: Fudô, 1996) 2. Audition (Ôdishon, 1999) 3. Visitor Q (Bijitâ Q, 2001) 4. Ichi the Killer (Koroshiya 1, 2001)
53. Andrew Niccol
Writer | Gattaca
New Zealand-born screenwriter-director Andrew Niccol began his career in London, successfully directing TV commercials before moving to Los Angeles in order to make films "longer than 60 seconds." He interested high-powered producer Scott Rudin in his The Truman Show (1998) script, but Rudin was not...
1. Gattaca (1997) 2. Lord of War (2005)
54. Satoshi Kon
Writer | Tôkyô goddofâzâzu
Satoshi Kon was born in 1963. He studied at the Musashino College of the Arts. He began his career as a Manga artist. He then moved to animation and worked as a background artist on many films (including Roujin Z (1991) by 'Katsuhiro Otomo'). Then, in 1995, he wrote an episode of the anthology film ...
1. Perfect Blue (1997) 2. Tokyo Godfathers (Tokyo Goddofazazu, 2003) 3. Paprika (2006)
+ Paranoia Agent (Môsô dairinin, 2004) [anime series]
Producer | Biutiful
Alejandro González Iñárritu (ih-nyar-ee-too), born August 15th, 1963, is a Mexican film director.
González Iñárritu is the first Mexican director to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director and by the Directors Guild of America for Best Director. He is also the first Mexican-born ...
1. Love Dogs (Amores perros, 2000) 2. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014) 3. 21 Grams (2003) 4. The Revenant (2015)
56. John Woo
Director | Ying hung boon sik
Born in southern China, John Woo grew up in Hong Kong, where he began his film career as an assistant director in 1969, working for Shaw Brothers Studios. He directed his first feature in 1973 and has been a prolific director ever since, working in a wide variety of genres before A Better Tomorrow ...
1. The Killer (Dip huet seung hung, 1989) 2. A Better Tomorrow (Ying hung boon sik, 1986) 3. Face/Off (1997) 4. Hard-Boiled (Lat sau san taam, 1992) 5. Bullet in the Head (Die xue jie tou, 1990)
57. Stephen Frears
Director | Dangerous Liaisons
Stephen Frears was born on June 20, 1941 in Leicester, Leicestershire, England as Stephen Arthur Frears. He is a director and producer, known for Dangerous Liaisons (1988), Philomena (2013) and Dirty Pretty Things (2002). He has been married to Anne Rothenstein since 1992. They have two children. ...
1. High Fidelity (2000) 2. Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
58. Daniel Farrands
Producer | The Amityville Murders
Daniel Farrands was born on September 3, 1969 in Providence, Rhode Island, USA. He is a producer and writer, known for The Amityville Murders (2018), The Haunting of Sharon Tate (2019) and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995).
1. Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010) 2. Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th (2013)
Director | Un long dimanche de fiançailles
Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a self-taught director who was very quickly interested by cinema, with a predilection for a fantastic cinema where form is as important as the subject. Thus he started directing TV commercials and video clips (such as Julien Clerc in 1984). At the same time he met designer/...
1. Amélie (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, 2001) 2. Delicatessen (1991) 3. The City of Lost Children (La cité des enfants perdus, 1995) 4. Alien: Resurrection (1997) 5. Micmacs (Mic Macs à Tire-Larigot, 2009)
60. Ryûhei Kitamura
Director | The Midnight Meat Train
1. Azumi (2003) 2. Aragami (2003) 3. Versus (2000)
61. Gore Verbinski
Director | Rango
Gore Verbinski, one of American cinema's most inventive directors who was a punk-rock guitarist as a teenager and had to sell his guitar to buy his first camera, is now the director of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) which made the industry record for highest opening weekend of ...
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) 2. The Ring (2002) 3. The Weather Man (2005)
62. José Padilha
Producer | Tropa de Elite
He is best known for directing the Brazilian critical and financial successes Elite Squad and Elite Squad: The Enemy Within and the 2014 remake of RoboCop. He has won the Golden Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival for Elite Squad in 2008. He is also the producer and director of the ...
1. Elite Squad (Tropa de Elite, 2007) 2. Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (Tropa de Elite 2: O Inimigo Agora é Outro, 2010)
63. Nimród Antal
Director | Kontroll
Antal was born in Los Angeles, California of Hungarian ancestry. He moved to Hungary in 1991 to study at the Hungarian Film Academy. After graduating, he went on to work in the film and television industry. In 2005, he moved back to his hometown of Los Angeles to pursue success in Hollywood.
He is ...
1. Control (Kontroll, 2003) 2. A Viszkis (The Whiskey Bandit, 2017) 3. Predators (2010)
64. Jin-ho Hur
Director | Palwolui Keuriseumaseu
Born in 1963 in Jeonju, South Korea, Jin-ho Hur graduated from the Korean Academy of Film Arts. His first steps as a film director did not go unnoticed as his first short, 'For Kochal", was selected for The Vancouver International Film Festival. He later co-wrote the script of "A Single Spark" and ...
1. One Fine Spring Day (Bomnaleun ganda, 2001) 2. Christmas in August (Palwolui Keuriseumaseu, 1998) 3. Happiness (Hængbok, 2007)
65. Ang Lee
Director | Wo hu cang long
Born in 1954 in Pingtung, Taiwan, Ang Lee has become one of today's greatest contemporary filmmakers. Ang graduated from the National Taiwan College of Arts in 1975 and then came to the U.S. to receive a B.F.A. Degree in Theatre/Theater Direction at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, ...
1. Life of Pi (2012) 2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) 3. Sense and Sensibility (1995)
66. Guy Ritchie
Director | Sherlock Holmes
Guy Ritchie was born in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK on September 10, 1968. After watching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) as a child, Guy realized that what he wanted to do was make films. He never attended film school, saying that the work of film school graduates was boring and ...
1. Snatch (2000) 2. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) 3. RocknRolla (2008)
67. Alex Proyas
Director | Dark City
Alex Proyas has moved effortlessly between helming TV commercials and music videos to feature films. Born to Greek parents in Egypt, Proyas relocated to Australia with his family when he was three years old. He began making films at age ten and went on to attend the Australian Film Television and ...
1. The Crow (1994) 2. Dark City (1998)
68. Terry Gilliam
Writer | Brazil
Terry Gilliam was born near Medicine Lake, Minnesota. When he was 12 his family moved to Los Angeles where he became a fan of MAD magazine. In his early twenties he was often stopped by the police who suspected him of being a drug addict and Gilliam had to explain that he worked in advertising. In ...
1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) 2. Twelve Monkeys (1995) 3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
69. Shane Black
Writer | Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Considered one of the pioneer screenwriters of the action genre, Black made his mark with his Lethal Weapon (1987) screenplay. He also collaborated on the story of the sequel, Lethal Weapon 2 (1989). Each successive script he turned in had a higher price attached it, from The Last Boy Scout (1991) ...
1. The Nice Guys (2016) 2. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Writer | The Guard
1. Calvary (2014) 2. The Guard (2011)
71. Martin McDonagh
Writer | In Bruges
Martin McDonagh was born on March 26, 1970 in Camberwell, London, England. He is a writer and director, known for In Bruges (2008), Seven Psychopaths (2012) and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017).
1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) 2. In Bruges (2008)
72. Martin Scorsese
Director | Taxi Driver
Martin Charles Scorsese was born on November 17, 1942 in Queens, New York City, to Catherine Scorsese (née Cappa) and Charles Scorsese, who both worked in Manhattan's garment district, and whose families both came from Palermo, Sicily. He was raised in the neighborhood of Little Italy, which later ...
1. The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) 2. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) 3. Silence (2016) 4. Taxi Driver (1976) 5. The Irishman (2019)
73. Lars von Trier
Writer | Dancer in the Dark
Probably the most ambitious and visually distinctive filmmaker to emerge from Denmark since Carl Theodor Dreyer over 60 years earlier, Lars von Trier studied film at the Danish Film School and attracted international attention with his very first feature, The Element of Crime (1984). A highly ...
1. Europa (1991) 2. The House That Jack Built (2018) 3. The Element of Crime (Forbrydelsens element, 1984)
74. Kathryn Bigelow
Director | The Hurt Locker
A very talented painter, Kathryn spent two years at the San Francisco Art Institute. At 20, she won a scholarship to the Whitney Museum's Independent Study Program. She was given a studio in a former Offtrack Betting building, literally in an old bank vault, where she made art and waited to be ...
1. Point Break (1991) 2. Strange Days (1995) 3. Near Dark (1987)
Director | Sex, Lies, and Videotape
Steven Andrew Soderbergh was born on January 14, 1963 in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, the second of six children of Mary Ann (Bernard) and Peter Soderbergh. His father was of Swedish and Irish descent, and his mother was of Italian ancestry. While he was still at a very young age, his family moved to ...
1. Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989) 2. Traffic (2000) 3. Magic Mike (2012)
76. Bong Joon Ho
Writer | Okja
1. Parasite (Gisaengchung, 2019) 2. Snowpiercer (2013) 3. Memories of Murder (Salinui chueok, 2003)
77. Wilson Yip
Director | Yip Man
1. Ip Man (Yip Man, 2008) 2. Ip Man 2 (Yip Man 2, 2010) 3. SPL: Kill Zone (SPL: Sha po lang, 2005)
78. Jee-woon Kim
Director | Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom
1. I Saw the Devil (Ang-ma-reul bo-at-da, 2010) 2. A Tale of Two Sisters (Janghwa, Hongryeon, 2003) 3. A Bittersweet Life (Dalkomhan insaeng, 2005)
79. Hong-jin Na
Writer | Chugyeogja
Na Hong-jin born in 1974 is a South Korean film director and screenwriter. His debut film The Chaser (2008) won Best Director at the 45th Grand Bell Awards in 2008. The film also won the award for Best Film. His follow up film, The Yellow Sea, was released in South Korea on December 15, 2010. It is...
1. The Chaser (Chugyeogja, 2008) 2. The Yellow Sea (Hwanghae, 2010)
Director | Blindness
Fernando Meirelles was born in a middle class family in São Paulo City, Brazil.
He studied architecture at the university of São Paulo. At the same time he developed an interest in filmmaking. With a group of friends he started producing experimental videos and video art. They won a huge number of ...
1. City of God (Cidade de Deus, 2002) 2. Blindness (2008)
81. Martin Campbell
Director | Casino Royale
Martin Campbell knows how to entertain an audience when he steps behind the camera. When he directed The Mask of Zorro (1998), the movie earned Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations and launched the international careers of Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Next, when he helmed ...
1. GoldenEye (1995) 2. Casino Royale (2006) 3. The Mask of Zorro (1998)
82. Jeff Tremaine
Producer | Bad Grandpa
Jeff Tremaine was born a military brat and hustled from state to state until finally settling in Rockville, Maryland. There, he quickly gravitated towards the alternative world of skateboarding, BMX, reggae music, and art... pursuits that would shape a career to come.
After attending Washington ...
1. Jackass: Volume Two (2004) 2. Jackass: The Movie (2002) 3. Jackass 3D (2010)
83. Ronny Yu
Director | Huo Yuan Jia
Born in Hong Kong, Ronny Yan-Tai Yu dreamed of making films since he was a child. At only 9 months of age, Yu contracted polio, resulting in a long recovery that prevented him from developing an active childhood and had to spend much time in isolation. To cope with the loneliness, Yu created ...
1. Fearless [director's cut] (Huo yuanjia, 2006) 2. The Bride with White Hair (Bai fa mo nu zhuan, 1993) 3. Bride of Chucky (1998)
84. Robert Rodriguez
Producer | El mariachi
Robert Anthony Rodriguez was born and raised in San Antonio, Texas, USA, to Rebecca (Villegas), a nurse, and Cecilio G. Rodríguez, a salesman. His family is of Mexican descent.
Of all the people to be amazed by the images of John Carpenter's 1981 sci-fi parable, Escape from New York (1981), none ...
1. Sin City (2005) 2. Alita: Battle Angel (2019) 3. Planet Terror (2007) 4. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) 5. Desperado (1995) 6. The Faculty (1998)
85. Pierre Morel
Director | Banlieue 13
1. Taken (2008) 2. District B13 (Banlieue 13, 2004)
86. Judd Apatow
Producer | Girls
Judd Apatow was born on December 6, 1967 in Syosset, New York, USA. He is a producer and writer, known for Girls (2012), Knocked Up (2007) and The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005). He has been married to Leslie Mann since June 9, 1997. They have two children.
1. The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) 2. Funny People (2009)
87. Larry Charles
Producer | Seinfeld
1. Borat (2006) 2. Brüno (2009) 3. The Dictator (2012)
88. Prachya Pinkaew
Producer | Ong-bak
1. The Protector (Tom yum goong, 2005) 2. Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior (Ong-bak, 2003) 3. Chocolate (2008)
89. Dennis Gansel
Writer | Die Welle
Born in 1973 in Hannover, Germany, Dennis Gansel studied at Munich Film School HFF. Remarkably his first feature length movie Das Phantom (2000) was shot while he was still studying. Between his movies Girls on Top (2001), Before the Fall (2004) and The Wave (2008) he spent a long time struggling ...
1. Before the Fall (Napola - Elite für den Führer, 2004) 2. The Wave (Die Welle, 2008)
90. Bobby Farrelly
Producer | There's Something About Mary
Bobby Farrelly was born on June 17, 1958 in Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA as Robert Leo Farrelly Jr. He is a producer and director, known for There's Something About Mary (1998), Osmosis Jones (2001) and Me, Myself & Irene (2000). He has been married to Nancy Farrelly since 1990. They have two ...
1. Dumb and Dumber (1994) 2. There's Something About Mary (1998) 3. Me, Myself & Irene (2000) 4. Kingpin (1996)
Mathieu Kassovitz was born on August 3, 1967 in Paris, France. He is an actor, known for Amélie (2001), La Haine (1995) and The Crimson Rivers (2000). He is married to Julie Mauduech. They have one child.
1. La haine (1995) 2. The Crimson Rivers (Les rivières pourpres, 2000)
92. Attila Gigor
Writer | A nyomozó
1. Well (Kút, 2016) 2. The Investigator (A nyomozó, 2008)
93. Sanjay Gadhvi
Director | Dhoom:2
1. Dhoom (2004) 2. Dhoom:2 (2006)
94. Ringo Lam
Director | Go do gaai bei
Ringo Lam was born on December 8, 1955 in Hong Kong as Lin Lingdong. He was a director and writer, known for Full Alert (1997), City on Fire (1987) and Wild City (2015). He died on December 29, 2018 in Hong Kong.
1. Burning Paradise (1994) 2. Full Contact (1992) 3. In Hell (2003)
Writer | The Usual Suspects
Christopher McQuarrie is an acclaimed producer, director and an Academy Award® winning writer. McQuarrie grew up in Princeton Junction, New Jersey and in lieu of college, he spent the first five years out of school traveling and working at a detective agency. He later moved to Los Angeles to pursue...
1. Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) 2. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
96. Matt Reeves
Writer | Let Me In
Born on April 27, 1966, Matthew Reeves is a writer, director and producer, known for his directorial work on Cloverfield (2008), Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014), and War for the Planet of the Apes (2017). Reeves was born in in Rockville Center, New York and was childhood friends with director ...
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) 2. War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
97. Alfonso Cuarón
Writer | Gravity
Alfonso Cuarón Orozco was born on November 28th in Mexico City, Mexico. From an early age, he yearned to be either a film director or an astronaut. However, he did not want to enter the army, so he settled for directing. He didn't receive his first camera until his twelfth birthday, and then ...
1. Children of Men (2006) 2. Gravity (2013)
Actor | Rocky
This athletically built, dark-haired American actor/screenwriter/director may never be mentioned by old-school film critics in the same breath as, say, Richard Burton or Alec Guinness; however, movie fans worldwide have been flocking to see Stallone's films for over 30 years, making "Sly" one of ...
1. Rocky II (1979) 2. Rambo (2008) 3. Rocky IV (1985) 4. Rocky III (1982) 5. The Expendables (2010)
99. Attila Szász
Director | Apró mesék
Graduated at the Academy of Drama and Film in Budapest in 1996. He started out as a film critic, later founded his own distribution company and became editor-in-chief of VOX, Hungary's biggest movie magazine. Started writing screenplays and directing commercials in 2002. He shot commercials with ...
1. Demimonde (Félvilág, 2015) 2. Tall Tales (Apró mesék, 2019) 3. The Ambassador to Bern (A berni követ, 2014)
100. Yoshiaki Kawajiri
Animation_department | Jûbê ninpûchô
Graduated from Yokohama High School in 1968. After a few years working as animator at Mushi Production Animation, the company went bankrupt in 1972 and he joined Madhouse Studio. In the 70s he was promoted to animation director and finally debuted as film director in 1984's "SF New Century Lensman"...
1. Ninja Scroll (1993) 2. Wicked City (1987) 3. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000) 4. Demon City Shinjuku (1988) 5. Neo Tokyo (1987) (Segment: "The Running Man")