My Favourite Directors in orderby tobias_681 | created - 19 May 2013 | updated - 2 months ago | Public
My personal favourite directors. Movies I've seen are ranked in order of Liking.
You might want to check out my director ranking lists. I prefer to do it if the lists get a little longer since the name of the movies becomes less apparent when the lists are longer, a poster helps to connect one to the movie and I also have some text on some of them.: ▶Ingmar Bergman ▶Werner Herzog ▶Steven Spielberg ▶Andrei Tarkovsky ▶Alfred Hitchcock ▶Stanley Kubrick ▶Luis Buñuel ▶Martin Scorsese ▶Woody Allen ▶Lars Von Trier ▶Mario Bava ▶Christopher Nolan ▶Louis Malle ▶David Lynch ▶Eric Rohmer ▶Roman Polanski ▶Richard Linklater ▶Fritz Lang ▶Brian De Palma ▶Jean-luc Godard ▶Max Ophüls ▶Buster Keaton ▶Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger (aka. The Archers) ▶Ernst Lubitsch ▶Claude Chabrol ▶Wladyslaw Starewicz ▶Akira Kurosawa ▶Orson Welles ▶Charles Chaplin ▶Rainer Werner Fassbinder ▶The Coen Brothers ▶Krzysztof Kieslowski ▶Pier Paolo Pasolini ▶Howard Hawks ▶David Cronenberg ▶Raúl Ruiz ▶John Ford ▶D.W. Griffith
1. Éric Rohmer
Director | Le genou de Claire
Admirers have always had difficulty explaining Éric Rohmer's "Je ne sais quoi." Part of the challenge stems from the fact that, despite his place in French Nouvelle Vague (i.e., New Wave), his work is unlike that of his colleagues. While this may be due to the auteur's unwillingness to conform, ...
1. The Green Ray 2. My Night at Maud's 3. Claire's Knee 4. Pauline at the Beach 5. My Girlfriend's Boyfriend 6. A Summer's Tale 7. The Collector 8. An Autumn Tale 9. The Aviator's Wife 10. The Sign of Leo 11. A Tale of Winter 12. The Bakery Girl of Monceau 13. Perceval 14. Love in the Afternoon 15. A Good Marriage 16. Full Moon in Paris 17. The Marquise of O 18. Triple Agent 19. A Tale of Springtime 20. The Romance of Astrea and Celladon 21. Rendevous in Paris 22. Suzanne's Career 23. Veronica and Her Dunce 24. The Tree, the Mayor and the Mediatheque 25. The Lady and the Duke 26. Changing Landscapes 27. Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle 28. Presentation, or Charlotte and Her Steak 29. Nadja in Paris 30. Bérénice 31. Drink your Coffee 32. A Modern Coed
Director | 2001: A Space Odyssey
Stanley Kubrick was born in Manhattan, New York City, to Sadie Gertrude (Perveler) and Jacob Leonard Kubrick, a physician. His family were Jewish immigrants (from Austria, Romania, and Russia). Stanley was considered intelligent, despite poor grades at school. Hoping that a change of scenery would ...
His Films ranked in order of liking: 1. 2001: A Space Odyssey 2. Barry Lyndon 3. A Clockwork Orange 4. Eyes Wide Shut 5. The Shining 6. Dr. Strangelove 7. Paths of Glory 8. The Killing 9. Full Metall Jacket 10. Spartacus 11. Lolita 12. Killer's Kiss 13. Day of the fight 14. Flying Padre 15. Fear and Desire
Director | Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes
Director. Writer. Producer. Actor. Poet. He studied history, literature and theatre for some time, but didn't finish it and founded instead his own film production company in 1963. Later in his life, Herzog also staged several operas in Bayreuth, Germany, and at the Milan Scala in Italy. Herzog has...
2. Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes
3. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht
4. Lektionen in Finsternis
5. Jeder für sich und Gott gegen Alle
6. Encounters at the End of the World
7. Little Dieter needs to fly
8. The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
9. Into the Abyss
10. Mein liebster Feind - Klaus Kinski
11. Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World
12. Land des Schweigens und der Dunkelheit
13. Cave of Forgotten Dreams
14. Gasherbrum - Der leuchtende Berg
15. Die große Ekstase des Bildschnitzers Steiner
16. Grizzly Man
18. Fata Morgana
19. Cobra Verde
20. Into the Inferno
21. La Soufrière - Warten auf eine unausweichliche Katastrophe
22. The White Diamond
25. Herz aus glas
27. Wo die grünen Ameisen träumen
28. Happy People: A Year in the Taiga
29. Auch Zwerge haben klein angefangen
30. Werner Herzog Filmemacher
31. Julianes Sturz in den Dschungel
32. Tod für fünf Stimmen
33. Rescue Dawn
34. My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done
35. From One Second to the Next
36. Wodaabe - Die Hirten der Sonne. Nomaden am Südrand der Sahara
37. Queen of the Desert
38. Glocken aus der Tiefe - Glaube und Aberglaube in Rußland
39. Wheel of Time
40. Mit mir will keiner spielen
41. Massnahmen gegen Fanatiker
43. Die beispiellose Verteidigung der Festung Deutschkreuz
44. La bohème
45. Letzte Worte
46. Les Français vus par: Les Gaulois
Other films with Herzog: Plastic Bag Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe Tokyo-Ga When Herzog Rescued Phoenix The Making of 'Nosferatu'
4. Luis Buñuel
Writer | Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie
The father of cinematic Surrealism and one of the most original directors in the history of the film medium, Luis Buñuel was given a strict Jesuit education (which sowed the seeds of his obsession with both religion and subversive behavior), and subsequently moved to Madrid to study at the ...
1. The Discret Charme of the Burgeoisie 2. Belle de Jour 3. Viridiana 4. The Exterminating Angel 5. An Andalusian Dog 6. Los Olvidados 7. Nazarin 8. That Obscure Object of Desire 9. Simon of the Desert 10. El 11. The Phantom of Liberty 12. Tristana 13. The Golden Age 14. Diary of a Chambermaid 15. The Criminal Life of Archibaldo De La Cruz 16. The Milky Way 17. Fever Mounts at El Pao 18. Susana 19. Land without Bread 20. The Brute 21. Death in the Garden 22. Robinson Crusoe 23. The Young One
5. Raoul Ruiz
Director | Les trois couronnes du matelot
Chilean director Raúl, or Raoul, Ruiz (1941-2011) was one of the most exciting and innovative filmmakers to emerge from 1960s World Cinema, providing more intellectual fun and artistic experimentation, shot for shot, than any filmmaker since Jean-Luc Godard. A guerrilla who uncompromisingly ...
1. Mysteries of Lisbon 2. Dog's Dialouge 3. The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting 4. Mammame 5. City of Pirates 6. Manoel on the Island of Wonders 7. Three Crowns of the Sailor 8. Klimt 9. The Territory 10. Three Lives and Only One Death 11. On Top of the Whale 12. Zig-Zag 13. Tres Tristes Tigres 14. Ombres chinoises 15. The Film to Come 16. Gardens Quarrels 17. Voyage of a Hand 18. The Solitudes 19. Wind Water 20. Image de sable 21. La maleta
Writer | Persona
Ernst Ingmar Bergman was born July 14, 1918, the son of a priest. The film and T.V. series, The Best Intentions (1992) is biographical and shows the early marriage of his parents. The film 'Söndagsbarn' depicts a bicycle journey with his father. In the miniseries Private Confessions (1996) is the ...
1. Winter Light 2. The seventh seal 3. Persona 4. Fanny and Alexander (Seen both versions - both merit this placement) 5. Through a glass darkly 6. Wild Strawberries 7. Smiles of a summer Night 8. Scenes from a mariage (Theatrical Version) 9. The virgin spring 10. The Silence 11. Cries and Whispers 12. The passion of Anna 13. The hour of the wolf 14. Sawdust and Tinsel 15. From the life of marionettes 16. The Magican 17. Autumn Sonata 18. Saraband 19. Summer Interlude 20. Shame 21. Prison 22. After the Rehearsal 23. The Magic Flute 24. Summer with Monika 25. To Joy 26. A Lesson in Love 27. Brink of Life 28. De fördömda kvinnornas dans 29. Waiting Women 30. Port of Call 31. The Rite 32. Karins ansikte 33. Face to Face 34. The Serpent's Egg
7. F.W. Murnau
Director | Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
F.W. Murnau was a German film director. He was greatly influenced by Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Shakespeare and Ibsen plays he had seen at the age of 12, and became a friend of director Max Reinhardt. During World War I he served as a company commander at the eastern front and was in the German air ...
1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 2. Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens 3. Der letzte Mann 4. Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage 5. City Girl 6. Tabu: A Story of the South Seas 7. Der brennende Acker 8. Herr Tartüff 9. Phantom
Writer | Days of Heaven
Terrence Malick was born in Ottawa, Illinois. His family subsequently lived in Oklahoma and he went to school in Austin, Texas. He did his undergraduate work at Harvard, graduating summa cum laude with a degree in philosophy in 1965.
A member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society, he attended Magdalen ...
1. The Tree Of Life 2. Badlands 3. Days of Heaven 4. The Thin Red Line 5. Knight of Cups 6. To the Wonder 7. The New World 8. Song to Song
Director | La Belle Noiseuse
Although François Truffaut has written that the New Wave began "thanks to Rivette," the films of this masterful French director are not well known. Rivette, like his "Cahiers du Cinéma" colleagues Truffaut, Jean-Luc Godard, Claude Chabrol and Éric Rohmer, did graduate to filmmaking but, like Rohmer...
1. Celine and Julie go boating 2. Out 1: noli me tangere 3. La belle noiseuse 4. L'amour Fou 5. Duelle (une quarantaine) 6. Norôit 7. Paris Belongs to Us 8. Don't Touch the Axe 9. Va savoir 10. The Nun 11. Le coup du berger
10. Alfred Hitchcock
Director | Psycho
Alfred Joseph Hitchcock was born in Leytonstone, Essex, England. He was the son of Emma Jane (Whelan; 1863 - 1942) and East End greengrocer William Hitchcock (1862 - 1914). His parents were both of half English and half Irish ancestry. He had two older siblings, William Hitchcock (born 1890) and ...
1. Vertigo 2. Rebecca 3. Rope 4. Rear Window 5. Psycho 6. Strangers on a train 7. North by Northwest 8. Shadow of a doubt 9. Dial M for murderer 10. The 39 Steps 11. The wrong man 12. Notorius 13. Lifeboat 14. The Lady Vanishes 15. Frenzy 16. Suspicion 17. Blackmail 18. To catch a thief 19. Foreign Correspondent 20. The Lodger 21. Stage fright 22. Family Plot 23. The man who knew too much (1934) 24. Marnie 25. The Birds 26. Saboteur 27. I confess 28. Torn Curtain 29. Spellbound 30. The Trouble with Harry 31. Young and Innocent 32. Rich and Strange 33. The man who knew too much (1956) 34. Sabotage 35. Sound Test for Blackmail 36. Topaz
Writer | Il Decameron
Pier Paolo Pasolini achieved fame and notoriety long before he entered the film industry. A published poet at 19, he had already written numerous novels and essays before his first screenplay in 1954. His first film Accattone (1961) was based on his own novel and its violent depiction of the life ...
1. Teorema 2. Oedipus Rex 3. The Decameron 4. The Canterbury Tales 5. Hawks and Sparrows 6. Arabian Nights 7. The Gospel According to St. Matthew 8. Accattone 9. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom 10. Medea 11. Pigsty 12. Mamma Roma
12. Andrei Tarkovsky
Writer | Solyaris
The most famous Soviet film-maker since Sergei M. Eisenstein, Andrei Tarkovsky (the son of noted poet Arseniy Tarkovsky) studied music and Arabic in Moscow before enrolling in the Soviet film school V.G.I.K. He shot to international attention with his first feature, Ivan's Childhood (1962), which ...
1. Andrei Rublev 2. The Sacrifice 3. Stalker 4. Solaris 5. The Mirror 6. Ivan's childhood 7. Nostalgiha 8. The Steamroller and the Violin 9. The Killers 10. There Will Be No Leave Today
13. Max Ophüls
Director | La ronde
Director Max Ophüls was born Max Oppenheimer in Saarbrücken, Germany. He began his career as a stage actor and director in the golden twenties. He worked in cities such as Stuttgart, Dortmund, Wuppertal, Vienna, Frankfurt, Breslau and Berlin. In 1929 his son Marcel Ophüls was born in Frankfurt, ...
1. Madame de... 2. Letter from an unknown woman 3. Lola Montès 4. Le plaisir 5. La ronde 6. Liebelei 7. La signora di tutti 8. The Reckless Moment 9. Sans Lendemain 10. Caught 11. Die verliebte Firma 12. The Exile 13. Valse brillante de Chopin 14. Die verkaufte Braut
14. Michael Powell
Director | The Red Shoes
The son of Thomas William Powell and Mabel (nee Corbett). Michael Powell was always a self-confessed movie addict. He was brought up partly in Canterbury ("The Garden of England") and partly in the south of France (where his parents ran a hotel). Educated at Kings School, Canterbury and Dulwich ...
and Emeric Pressburger too who worked on most of Powell's projects aswell.
1. A Canterbury Tale 2. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 3. The Red Shoes 4. A Matter of Life and Death 5. I know where I'm going 6. Peeping Tom 7. The Tales of Hoffmann 8. The Small Back Room 9. Black Narcissus 10. 49th Parallel 11. The Thief of Bagdad 12. One of Our Aircraft Is Missing 13. Gone to Earth 14. The Edge of the World 15. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
15. Fritz Lang
Actor | Le mépris
Fritz Lang was born in Vienna, Austria, in 1890. His father managed a construction company. His mother, Pauline Schlesinger, was Jewish but converted to Catholicism when Lang was ten. After high school, he enrolled briefly at the Technische Hochschule Wien and then started to train as a painter. ...
1. Metropolis 2. M 3. Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler 4. The Woman in the Window 5. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse 6. Fury 7. Scarlet Street 8. Die 1000 Augen des Dr. Mabuse 9. The Big Heat 10. Das indische Grabmal 11. Der Tiger von Eschnapur 12. Die Nibelungen: Siegfrieds tod 13. Die Nibelungen: Kriemhilds Rache 14. Der müde Tod 15. Spione 16. Ministry of Fear 17. Man Hunt 18. While the City Sleeps 19. Rancho Notorious 20. Moonfleet
16. Jean Renoir
Writer | La règle du jeu
Son of the famous Impressionist painter Pierre Auguste, he had a happy childhood. Pierre Renoir was his brother, and Claude Renoir was his nephew. After the end of World War I, where he won the Croix de Guerre, he moved from scriptwriting to filmmaking. He married Catherine Hessling, for whom he ...
1. The Rules of the Game 2. A Day in the Country 3. The River 4. The Crime of Monsieur Lange 5. Boudu Saved from Drowning 6. French Cancan 7. The Great Illusion 8. La Chienne 9. The Night at the Crossroads 10. The Golden Coach 11. La Bête Humaine 12. The Little Match Girl
17. Ernst Lubitsch
Director | To Be or Not to Be
From Ernst Lubitsch's experiences in Sophien Gymnasium (high school) theater, he decided to leave school at the age of 16 and pursue a career on the stage. He had to compromise with his father and keep the account books for the family tailor business while he acted in cabarets and music halls at ...
1. Ninotchka 2. The Shop Around the Corner 3. To Be or Not to Be 4. The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg 5. Trouble in Paradise 6. The Smiling Lieutenant 7. Angel 8. Die Puppe 9. The Marriage Circle 10. Die Bergkatze 11. Design for Living 12. Heaven can Wait 13. Lady Windermere's Fan 14. Die Austernprinzessin 15. Ich möchte kein Mann sein
18. Jean-Luc Godard
Director | Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux
Jean-Luc Godard was born in Paris on December 3, 1930, the second of four children in a bourgeois Franco-Swiss family. His father was a doctor who owned a private clinic, and his mother came from a preeminent family of Swiss bankers. During World War II Godard became a naturalized citizen of ...
1. Pierrot le fou 2. Le mépris 3. À bout de souffle 4. Week End 5. Vivre Sa Vie 6. Passion 7. Prénom Carmen 8. Sauve qui peut (la vie) 9. Histoire(s) du cinéma 10. 2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle 11. Masculin Feminin 12. Nouvelle Vague 13. Bande à part 14. De l'origine du XXIe siècle 15. Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution 16. Le petit soldat 17. Le livre d'image 18. Charlotte et Véronique, ou Tous les garçons s'appellent Patrick 19. Puissance de la parole 20. In the Darkness of Time 21. Une femme est une femme 22. Une femme coquette 23. Une histoire d'eau 24. Charlotte et son Jules
Writer | La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
The illegitimate son of a Danish farmer and his Swedish housekeeper, Carl Theodor Dreyer was born in Copenhagen on the 3th of February, 1889. He spent his early years in various foster homes before being adopted by the Dreyers at the age of two. Contrary to popular belief (perhaps nourished by the ...
1. Ordet 2. La passion de Jeanne d'Arc 3. Vredens dag 4. Vampyr 5. Gertrud 6. De nåede færgen 7. Michael 8. Landsbykirken 9. Et slot i et slot: Krogen og Kronborg
Writer | Blowup
Michelangelo Antonioni was born in 1912 into a middle-class family and grew up in bourgeois surroundings of the Italian province. In Bologna he studied economics and commerce while he painted and also wrote criticism for a local newspaper. In 1939 he went to Rome and worked for the journal "Cinema"...
1. Professione: reporter 2. Zabriskie Point 3. La notte 4. L'eclisse 5. Blowup 6. Il deserto rosso 7. L'avventura 8. Il Grido 9. Beyond the Clouds
Director | Os Canibais
Manoel de Oliveira was born on December 11, 1908 in Oporto, Portugal as Manoel Candido Pinto de Oliveira. He was a director and writer, known for Os Canibais (1988), I'm Going Home (2001) and The Convent (1995). He was married to Maria Isabel Brandão de Meneses de Almeida Carvalhais. He died on ...
1. Abraham's Valley 2. No, or the Vain Glory of Command 3. Porto of My Childhood 4. Aniki Bóbó 5. A Caca 6. A Talking Picture 7. I'm Going Home 8. A Century of Energy 9. The Artist and the City 10. Labour on the Douro River 11. Eccentricities of a Blonde-Haired Girl 12. Chafariz das Virtudes
22. Robert Bresson
Writer | Au hasard Balthazar
Robert Bresson trained as a painter before moving into films as a screenwriter, making a short film (atypically a comedy), Public Affairs (1934) in 1934. After spending more than a year as a German POW during World War II, he made his debut with Angels of Sin (1943) in 1943. His next film, Les ...
23. Brian De Palma
Director | Dressed to Kill
Brian De Palma is the son of a surgeon. He studied physics but at the same time felt his dedication for the movies and made some short films. After seven independent productions he had his first success with Sisters (1972) and his voyeuristic style. Restlessly he worked on big projects with the ...
1. Phantom of the Paradise 2. Carlito's Way 3. Blow Out 4. Dressed to Kill 5. Femme Fatale 6. Carrie 7. Sisters 8. Hi, Mom! 9. Body Double 10. Snake Eyes 11. Obsession 12. Scarface 13. Mission Impossible 14. Passion 15. Casualities of War 16. The Untouchables 17. Raising Cain 18. Wise Guys 19. Mission to Mars 20. The Black Dahlia 21. The Bonfire of the Vanities 22. Redacted
Writer | Trois couleurs: Bleu
Krzysztof Kieslowski graduated from Lódz Film School in 1969, and became a documentary, TV and feature film director and scriptwriter. Before making his first film for TV, Przejscie podziemne (1974) (The Underground Passage), he made a number of short documentaries. His next TV title, Personnel (...
1. Three Colors: Red
2. Three Colors: Blue
3. A short film about love
4. The Decalouge
5. Three Colors: White
6. The double Life of Veronique
7. Blind Chance
8. A short film about killing
9. Camera Buff
10. The Tram
The Decalouge Episodes ranked: 1. Decalouge IX 2. Decalouge VI 3. Decalouge II 4. Decalouge X 5. Decalouge III 6. Decalouge IV 7. Decalouge I 8. Decalouge V 9. Decalouge VII 10. Decalouge VIII
25. Guy Maddin
Director | The Saddest Music in the World
Guy Maddin was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, to Herdis Maddin (a hair-dresser) and Charles "Chas" Maddin (grain clerk and general manager of the Maroons, a Winnipeg hockey team). Maddin studied economics at the University of Winnipeg, working as a bank manager, house painter, and photographic...
Guy is prominent in both shorts and features and it's hard to rank them together:
Features: 1. My Winnipeg 2. The Saddest Music in the World 3. Brand Upon the Brain! A Remembrance in 12 Chapters 4. The Forbidden Room 5. Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary 6. Cowards Bend the Knee or The Blue Hands 7. Careful 8. Tales from the Gimli Hospital 9. The Green Fog
Shorts: 1. The Heart of the World 2. Odilon Redon or The Eye Like a Strange Balloon Mounts Toward Infinity 3. My Dad Is 100 Years Old 4. Sissy Boy Slap Party 5. Night Mayor 6. Send Me to the 'Lectric Chair 7. Sombre Dolorosa 8. Odin's Shield Maiden 9. Nude Caboose 10. Hospital Fragment 11. Elms 12. Spanky: To the Pier and Back 13. It's a Wonderful Life: Sparklehorse 14. A Trip to the Orphanage 15. Colours 16. Footsteps 17. The Little White Cloud That Cried
Impossible to rank (is this even a movie anymore?): Seances
Writer | Faustrecht der Freiheit
Above all, Rainer Werner Fassbinder was a rebel whose life and art was marked by gross contradiction. Openly homosexual, he married twice; one of his wives acted in his films and the other served as his editor. Accused variously by detractors of being anticommunist, male chauvinist, antiSemitic and...
1. Berlin Alexanderplatz 2. Die Ehe der Maria Braun 3. Die Sehnsucht der Veronika Voss 4. Welt am Draht 5. Angst essen Seele auf 6. Der Händler der vier Jahreszeiten 7. Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant 8. Lola 9. Lili Marleen 10. In einem Jahr mit 13 Monden 11. Chinesisches Roulette 12. Fontane Effi Briest
27. Louis Malle
Director | Au revoir les enfants
Louis Malle, the descendant of a French nobleman who made a fortune in beet sugar during the Napoleonic Wars, created films that explored life and its meaning. Malle's family discouraged his early interest in film but, in 1950, allowed him to enter the Institute of Advanced Cinematographic Studies ...
1. Murmur of the Heart 2. Elevator to the Gallows 3. Le feu follet 4. My Dinner with Andre 5. Lacombe Lucien 6. Atlantic City 7. Vanya on 42nd Street 8. Au revoir les enfants 9. Black Moon 10. Les amants 11. Pretty Baby 12. Crazeologie
28. Orson Welles
Actor | Citizen Kane
His father was a well-to-do inventor, his mother a beautiful concert pianist; Orson Welles was gifted in many arts (magic, piano, painting) as a child. When his mother died (he was six) he traveled the world with his father. He was orphaned at 15 after his father's death and became the ward of Dr. ...
1. Citizen Kane 2. The Other Side of the Wind 3. The Tragedy of Othello: The Moor of Venice 4. The Lady from Shanghai 5. The Magnificent Ambersons 6. F for Fake 7. The Trial 8. Touch of Evil 9. Chimes at Midnight 10. The Stranger 11. Mr. Arkadin 12. The Hearts of Age
29. Buster Keaton
Actor | The General
Joseph Frank Keaton was born on October 4, 1895 in Piqua, Kansas, to Joe Keaton and Myra Keaton. Joe and Myra were Vaudevillian comedians with a popular, ever-changing variety act, giving Keaton an eclectic and interesting upbringing. In the earliest days on stage, they traveled with a medicine ...
1. Sherlock Jr. 2. Steamboat Bill, Jr. 3. The General 4. Seven Chances 5. Our Hospitality 6. The Cameraman 7. The Navigator 8. Cops 9. One Week 10. The Goat 11. Neighbors 12. The High Sign 13. The Playhouse 14. The Scarecrow 15. Spite Marriage 16. The Haunted House 17. The Electric House 18. The Railrodder 19. Hard Luck 20 Three Ages 21. College 22. The Boat
Writer | Paisà
The master filmmaker Roberto Rossellini, as one of the creators of neo-realism, is one of the most influential directors of all time. His neo-realist films influenced France's nouvelle vague movement in the 1950s and '60s that changed the face of international cinema. He also influenced American ...
1. Voyage in Italy 2. The Flowers of St. Francis 3. Stromboli 4. Germany Year Zero 5. Paisà 6. The Taking of Power by Louis XIV 7. Rome, open City 8. Europe '51
31. Samuel Fuller
Writer | Shock Corridor
At age 17, Samuel Fuller was the youngest reporter ever to be in charge of the events section of the New York Journal. After having participated in the European battle theater in World War II, he directed some minor action productions for which he mostly wrote the scripts himself and which he also ...
1.. The Naked Kiss 2. Underworld U.S.A. 3. White Dog 4. Pickup on South Street 5. Shock Corridor 6. Forty Guns 7. The Big Red One 8. The Steel Helmet
32. Mario Bava
Cinematographer | Ecologia del delitto
Italian director Mario Bava was born on July 31, 1914 in the coastal northern Italian town of San Remo. His father, Eugenio Bava (1886-1966), was a cinematographer in the early days of the Italian film industry. Bava was trained as a painter, and when he eventually followed his father into film ...
1. Black Sabbath 2. Blood and Black Lace 3. The Girl who knew too much 4. Lisa and the Devil 5. The Whip and the Body 6. Rabid Dogs 7. Black Sunday 8. Bay of Blood 9. Kill baby, Kill 10. Danger: Diabolik 11. Hatchet for the Honeymoon 12. Shock 13. Planet of the Vampires
33. Lars von Trier
Writer | Dancer in the Dark
Probably the most ambitious and visually distinctive filmmaker to emerge from Denmark since Carl Theodor Dreyer over 60 years earlier, Lars von Trier studied film at the Danish Film School and attracted international attention with his very first feature, The Element of Crime (1984). A highly ...
1. Dogville 2. Nymph()maniac (the whole bloody 5 and a half hour affair) 3. Melancholia 4. Europa 5. Breaking the Waves 6. Dancer in the Dark 7. De fem benspænd 8. Antichrist 9. Medea 10. Riget I 11. Idioterne 12. Epidemic 13. The Element of Crime 14. Nocturne 15. Turen til Squashland 16. Hvorfor flygte fra det du ved du ikke kan flygte fra? Fordi du er en kujon 17. En blomst
34. Claire Denis
Director | High Life
1. U.S. Go Home 2. Trouble Every Day 3. Beau Travail
35. Douglas Sirk
Director | Schlußakkord
Film director Douglas Sirk, whose reputation blossomed in the generation after his 1959 retirement from Hollywood filmmaking, was born Hans Detlef Sierck on April 26, 1897, in Hamburg, Germany, to a journalist. Both of his parents were Danish, and the future director would make movies in German, ...
1. Imitation of Life 2. All That Heaven Allows 3. Written on the Wind 4. The Tarnished Angels 5. A Time to Love and a Time to Die 6. Magnificent Obsession
36. Danièle Huillet
Director | Sicilia!
Danièle Huillet was born on May 1, 1936 in Paris, France. She was a director and editor, known for Sicily! (1999), Class Relations (1984) and The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach (1968). She was married to Jean-Marie Straub. She died on October 9, 2006 in Cholet, Maine-et-Loire, France.
and her husband Jean-Marie Straub
1. Zu Früh / Zu Spät 2. Moses und Aron 3. Nicht versöhnt oder Es hilft nur Gewalt wo Gewalt herrscht 4. Chronik der Anna Magdalena Bach 5. Dalla nube alla resistenza 6. Sicilia! 7. Klassenverhältnisse 8. En Rachachant 9. Machorka-Muff 10. Einleitung zu Arnold Schoenbergs Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielscene
37. David Lean
Director | The Bridge on the River Kwai
An important British filmmaker, David Lean was born in Croydon on March 25, 1908 and brought up in a strict Quaker family (ironically, as a child he wasn't allowed to go to the movies). During the 1920s, he briefly considered the possibility of becoming an accountant like his father before finding ...
1. Lawrence of Arabia 2. The Bridge on the River Kwai 3. Ryan's Daughter 4. Doctor Shivago 5. Brief Encounter 6. A Passage to India 7. Great Expectations 8. Summertime 9. Hobson's Choice
38. Kenji Mizoguchi
Director | Saikaku ichidai onna
Coming from a lower class family Mizoguchi entered the production company Nikkatsu as an actor specialized in female roles. Later he became an assistant director and made his first film in 1922. Although he filmed almost 90 movies in the silent era, only his last 12 productions are really known ...
1. Sansho the Bailiff 2. Ugetsu monogatari 3. Chikamatsu monogatari 4. Yôkihi 5. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums 6. The Life of Oharu
39. Charles Chaplin
Writer | The Great Dictator
Considered to be one of the most pivotal stars of the early days of Hollywood, Charlie Chaplin lived an interesting life both in his films and behind the camera. He is most recognized as an icon of the silent film era, often associated with his popular character, the Little Tramp; the man with the ...
1. Modern Times 2. The Great Dictator 3. The Goldrush 4. City Lights 5. Limelight 6. The Kid 7. Easy Street 8. The Circus 9. The Immigrant 10. Monsieur Verdoux 11. A Woman of Paris: A Drama of Fate 12. A Dog's Life 13. The Pilgrim 14. Making a Living 15. Shoulder Arms
40. Martin Scorsese
Director | Taxi Driver
Martin Charles Scorsese was born on November 17, 1942 in Queens, New York City, to Catherine Scorsese (née Cappa) and Charles Scorsese, who both worked in Manhattan's garment district, and whose families both came from Palermo, Sicily. He was raised in the neighborhood of Little Italy, which later ...
1. Taxi Driver 2. Goodfellas 3. The Last Temptation of Christ 4. Raging Bull 5. After Hours 6. Mean Streets 7. Silence 8. The Age of Innocence 9. Casino 10. The King of Comedy 11. Shutter Island 12. The Wolf of Wall Street 13. The Departed 14. A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 15. Cape Fear 16. New York New York 17. Hugo 18. The Aviator 19. Gangs of New York 20. The Big Shave 21. The Key to Reserva
41. Steven Spielberg
Producer | Schindler's List
One of the most influential personalities in the history of cinema, Steven Spielberg is Hollywood's best known director and one of the wealthiest filmmakers in the world. He has an extraordinary number of commercially successful and critically acclaimed credits to his name, either as a director, ...
1. Raiders of The Lost Ark 2. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade 3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 4. Jaws 5. Jurassic Park 6. A.I. 7. Schindlers List 8. Saving Private Ryan 9. Munich 10. Minority Report 11. The Terminal 12. Duell 13. Catch Me If You Can 14. Close Encounters of the Third Kind 15. E.T. 16. Sugarland Express 17. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the crystal skull 18. War of the Worlds 19. The Adventures of Tintin 20. Bridge of Spies 21. Lincoln 22. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
42. Jacques Tourneur
Director | Out of the Past
Born in Paris in 1904, Tourneur went to Hollywood with his father, director Maurice Tourneur around 1913. He started out as a script clerk and editor for his father, then graduated to such jobs as directing shorts (often with the pseudonym Jack Turner), both in France and America. He was hired to ...
1. I Walked with a Zombie 2. Cat People 3. Night of the Demon 4. Out of the Past
43. Nicholas Ray
Director | Rebel Without a Cause
Nicholas Ray was born Raymond Nicholas Kienzle in 1911, in small-town Galesville, Wisconsin, to Lena (Toppen) and Raymond Joseph Kienzle, a contractor and builder. He was of German and Norwegian descent. Ray's early experience with film came with some radio broadcasting in high school. He left the ...
1. Bigger Than Life 2. Johnny Guitar 3. In a Lonely Place 4. Rebel Without a Cause 5. They Live by Night
Director | Waking Life
Self-taught writer-director Richard Stuart Linklater was born in Houston, Texas, to Diane Margaret (Krieger), who taught at a university, and Charles W. Linklater III. Richard was among the first and most successful talents to emerge during the American independent film renaissance of the 1990s. ...
1. Before Sunset 2. Before Sunrise 3. Boyhood 4. Before Midnight 5. Dazed and Confused 6. Waking Life 7. Tape 8. School of Rock 9. Bernie 10. Slacker 11. A Scanner Darkly 12. Everybody Wants Some
45. Wim Wenders
Director | Der Himmel über Berlin
Wim Wenders is an Oscar-nominated German filmmaker who was born Ernst Wilhelm Wenders on August 14, 1945 in Düsseldorf, which then was located in the British Occupation Zone of what became the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Federal Republic of Germany, known colloquially as West Germany until ...
1. Der Himmel Über Berlin 2. Paris, Texas 3. Der amerikanische Freund 4. Alice in den Städten 5. In weiter Ferne, so nah! 6. Bis ans Ende der Welt (4,5 hours director's cut) 7. Im Lauf der Zeit 8. Tokyo-Ga 9. Un matin partout dans le monde
46. Luchino Visconti
Writer | Rocco e i suoi fratelli
Luchino Visconti was born on November 2, 1906 in Milan, Lombardy, Italy as Luchino Visconti di Modrone. He was a writer and director, known for Rocco and His Brothers (1960), Death in Venice (1971) and Le Notti Bianche (1957). He died on March 17, 1976 in Rome, Lazio, Italy.
1. The Leopard 2. Ludwig 3. The Damned 4. Death in Venice 5. Senso 6. Rocco and his brothers 7. Ossessione 8. La Terra Trema 9. White Nights
47. Olivier Assayas
Writer | Personal Shopper
Olivier Assayas is a French film director, screenwriter and film critic. He is best know for his films Demonlover (2002), Something in the Air (2012), Clouds of Sils Maria (2014) and Personal Shopper (2016).
Assayas is the son of French director/screenwriter Raymond Assayas, alias Jacques Rémy.
1. L'heure d'été 2. Demonlover 3. Irma Vep 4. Personal Shopper 5. Clouds of Sils Maria
Actor | À bout de souffle
The name "Melville" is not immediately associated with film. It conjures up images of white whales and crackbrained captains, of naysaying notaries and soup-spilling sailors. It is the countersign to a realm of men and their deeds, both heroic and villainous. It is the American novel, with its ...
1. Le samouraï 2. L'armée des ombres 3. Le doulos 4. Le cercle rouge 5. Bob le flambeur 6. Le deuxième souffle 7. Leon Morin, Priest 8. Un flic
49. Nicolas Roeg
Director | Don't Look Now
When he made his directorial debut in 1970, Nicolas Roeg was already a 23-year veteran of the British film industry, starting out in 1947 as an editing apprentice and working his way up to cinematographer twelve years later. He first came to attention as part of the second unit on David Lean's ...
1. Walkabout 2. Bad Tming 3. Performance 4. Don't Look Now 5. The Man Who Fell to Earth
Director | Komödianten
Georg Wilhelm Pabst is considered by many to be the greatest director of German cinema, in his era. He was especially appreciated by actors and actresses for the humane way in which he treated them. This was in contrast to some of his contemporaries, such as Arnold Fanck, who have been ...
1. Die freudlose Gasse 2. Die Dreigroschenoper 3. Die Büchse der Pandora 4. Tagebuch einer Verlorenen 5. Westfront 1918
51. David Lynch
Writer | Twin Peaks
Born in precisely the kind of small-town American setting so familiar from his films, David Lynch spent his childhood being shunted from one state to another as his research scientist father kept getting relocated. He attended various art schools, married Peggy Lynch and then fathered future ...
1. Mulholland Dr. 2. Blue Velvet 3. Lost Highway 4. The Elephant Man 5. Eraserhead 6. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me 7. The Straight Story 8. Inland Empire 9. Lady Blue Shanghai 10. The 3 Rs 11. Wild at Heart 12. The Alphabet 13. Absurd Encounter with Fear 14. Dune
52. John Huston
Director | The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
An eccentric rebel of epic proportions, this Hollywood titan reigned supreme as director, screenwriter and character actor in a career that endured over five decades. The ten-time Oscar-nominated legend was born John Marcellus Huston in Nevada, Missouri, on August 5, 1906. His ancestry was English,...
1. The Man Who Would Be King 2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre 3. The Dead 4. The Misfits 5. The Asphalt Jungle 6. The Maltese Falcon 7. The African Queen
53. Howard Hawks
Director | Red River
What do the classic films Scarface (1932), Twentieth Century (1934), Bringing Up Baby (1938), Only Angels Have Wings (1939), His Girl Friday (1940), Sergeant York (1941), To Have and Have Not (1944), The Big Sleep (1946), Red River (1948) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) and Rio Bravo (1959) have in...
1. Bringing Up Baby 2. Only Angels Have Wings 3. Scarface 4. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 5. Red River 6. To Have and Have Not 7. Rio Bravo 8. El Dorado 9. His Girl Friday 10. Hatari! 11. The Big Sleep 12. The Thing from Another World
54. Peter Watkins
Director | The War Game
Peter Watkins began his career in advertising as an assistant producer and turned to amateur filmmaking in the late 1950s. In the mid-'60s he was commissioned by BBC-TV to make two feature-length docudramas incorporating a quasi-newsreel style and nonprofessional actors. The second of these, The ...
1. Edvard Munch 2. War Game 3. Culloden 4. Punishment Park
55. Victor Sjöström
Actor | Smultronstället
Victor Sjöström was born on September 20, 1879, and is the undisputed father of Swedish film, ranking as one of the masters of world cinema. His influence lives on in the work of Ingmar Bergman and all those directors, both Swedish and international, influenced by his work and the works of ...
1. The Wind 2. The Phantom Carriage 3. Terje Vigen 4. He Who Gets Slapped 5. The Scarlet Letter 6. Berg-Ejvind och hans hustru 7. Klostret i Sendomir
Actor | Sunset Blvd.
Erich von Stroheim was born Erich Oswald Stroheim in 1885, in Vienna, Austria, to Johanna (Bondy), from Prague, and Benno Stroheim, a hatter from Gleiwitz, Germany (now Gliwice, Poland). His family was Jewish.
After spending some time working in his father's hat factory, he emigrated to America ...
1. Greed 2. The Wedding March 3. Foolish Wives 4. Blind Husbands
57. George Lucas
Writer | Star Wars
George Walton Lucas, Jr. was raised on a walnut ranch in Modesto, California. His father was a stationery store owner and he had three siblings. During his late teen years, he went to Thomas Downey High School and was very much interested in drag racing. He planned to become a professional racecar ...
1. Star Wars 2. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 3. American Graffiti 4. THX 1138 5. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 6. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
58. Helmut Käutner
Director | Der Hauptmann von Köpenick
Helmut Käutner was born on March 25, 1908 in Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany as Paul Günther Helmut Käutner. He was a director and writer, known for The Captain from Köpenick (1956), The Last Bridge (1954) and The Rest Is Silence (1959). He was married to Erica Balqué. He died on ...
1. Große Freiheit Nr. 7 2. Unter den Brücken 3. Romanze in Moll 4. Wir machen Musik 5. Der Hauptmann von Köpenick
Director | Phoenix
Christian Petzold was born in Hilden in 1960. After studying German and Drama at the Freie Universität Berlin, he enrolled in Berlin's German Academy for Film and Television (DFFB). There he studied film direction while at same time working as an assistant director to Harun Farocki and Hartmut ...
1. Transit 2. Die innere Sicherheit 3. Phoenix 4. Jerichow 5. Barbara 6. Yella
60. Agnès Varda
Director | Sans toit ni loi
Agnès Varda was born on May 30, 1928 in Brussels, Belgium as Arlette Varda. She was a director and writer, known for Vagabond (1985), Faces Places (2017) and Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962). She was married to Jacques Demy. She died on March 29, 2019 in Paris, France.
1. Vagabond 2. Cléo from 5 to 7 3. Le Bonheur 4. The Gleaners & I
61. David Cronenberg
Director | The Fly
David Cronenberg, also known as the King of Venereal Horror or the Baron of Blood, was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in 1943. His father, Milton Cronenberg, was a journalist and editor, and his mother, Esther (Sumberg), was a piano player. After showing an inclination for literature at an early...
1. Dead Ringers 2. Videodrome 3. Crash 4. The Fly 5. Eastern Promises 6. eXistenZ 7. Maps to the Stars 8. A History of Violence 9. The Brood 10. The Dead Zone 11. Naked Lunch
62. Akira Kurosawa
Writer | Kakushi-toride no san-akunin
After training as a painter (he storyboards his films as full-scale paintings), Kurosawa entered the film industry in 1936 as an assistant director, eventually making his directorial debut with Sanshiro Sugata (1943). Within a few years, Kurosawa had achieved sufficient stature to allow him greater...
1. Rashomon 2. High and Low 3. Throne of Blood 4. The Seven Samurai 5. Drunken Angel 6. Ran 7. The Bad Sleep Well 8. Yojimbo 9. Red Beard 10 Kagemusha 11. Stray Dog 12. Dersu Uzala 13. The Hidden Fortress 14. Ikiru 15. Sanjuro 16. Dodes'ka-den
63. Yasujirô Ozu
Director | Tôkyô monogatari
Tokyo-born Yasujiro Ozu was a movie buff from childhood, often playing hooky from school in order to see Hollywood movies in his local theatre. In 1923 he landed a job as a camera assistant at Shochiku Studios in Tokyo. Three years later, he was made an assistant director and directed his first ...
1. An Autumn Afternoon 2. I Was Born, But... 3. Early Summer 4. Late Spring 5. Ohayo 6. Floating Weeds 7. Tokyo Story
64. Chris Marker
Writer | Twelve Monkeys
Chris Marker was born on July 29, 1921 in Neuilly-sur-Seine, Hauts-de-Seine, France as Christian François Bouche-Villeneuve. He was a director and writer, known for 12 Monkeys (1995), Sans Soleil (1983) and Third Side of the Coin (1960). He died on July 29, 2012 in Paris, France.
1. La jetée 2. Sans Soleil 3. A Grin Without a Cat 4. Statues also die 5. Junkopia 6. Owl Gets in Your Eyes 7. Chat écoutant la musique 8. Tchaïka 9. Leila Attacks 10. An owl is an owl 11. Petite ceinture 12. Kino
Writer | La nuit américaine
French director François Truffaut began to assiduously go to the movies at age seven. He was also a great reader but not a good pupil. He left school at 14 and started working. In 1947, aged 15, he founded a film club and met André Bazin, a French critic, who became his protector. Bazin helped the ...
1. Stolen Kisses 2. Two English Girls 3. Jules et Jim 4. The Wild Child 5. Shoot the Piano Player 6. Day for Night 7. The Last Metro 8. Fahrenheit 451 9. The 400 Blows 10. Mississippi Mermaid 11. The Mischief Makers 12. Antoine et Colette 13. A Story of Water
66. Roman Polanski
Director | Chinatown
Roman Polanski is a Polish film director, producer, writer and actor. Having made films in Poland, Britain, France and the USA, he is considered one of the few truly international filmmakers. Roman Polanski was born in Paris in 1933.
His parents returned to Poland from France in 1936, three years ...
1. Chinatown 2. Repulsion 3. Cul de Sac 4. The Tenant 5. Frantic 6. Carnage 7. Venus in Fur 8. The Knife in the Water 9. The Pianist 10. Rosemarie's Baby 11. Dance of the Vampires 12. The Ghost Writer 13. The Ninth Gate
67. Jacques Tati
Writer | Playtime
The comic genius Jacques Tati was born Taticheff, descended from a noble Russian family. His grandfather, Count Dimitri, had been a general in the Imperial Army and had served as military attaché to the Russian Embassy in Paris. His father, Emmanuel Taticheff, was a well-to-do picture framer who ...
1. Playtime 2. Mr. Hulot's Holiday 3. Mon Oncle 4. Jour de fête 5. Traffic
68. Satoshi Kon
Writer | Tôkyô goddofâzâzu
Satoshi Kon was born in 1963. He studied at the Musashino College of the Arts. He began his career as a Manga artist. He then moved to animation and worked as a background artist on many films (including Roujin Z (1991) by 'Katsuhiro Otomo'). Then, in 1995, he wrote an episode of the anthology film ...
1. Paprika 2. Perfect Blue 3. Millennium Actress 4. Tokyo Godfathers 5. Ohayo (Good Morning)
69. Claude Chabrol
Director | Le beau Serge
Claude Chabrol was born on June 24, 1930 in Paris, France. He was a director and writer, known for Le Beau Serge (1958), La Cérémonie (1995) and Story of Women (1988). He was married to Aurore Chabrol, Stéphane Audran and Agnès Goute. He died on September 12, 2010 in Paris.
1. The Butcher 2. The Unfaithful Wife 3. Les Biches 4. The Good Time Girls 5. A Story of Women 6. Merci pour le Chocolat 7. Hell 8. Les Cousins 9. The Beast Must Die 10. A Girl Cut in Two 11. Alice or the Last Escapade 12. Le Beau Serge 13. Dirty Hands 14. La Cérémonie 15. Just Before Nightfall 16. La rupture 17. Wedding in Blood 18. Inspecteur Lavardin
70. Sergio Leone
Writer | Once Upon a Time in America
Sergio Leone was virtually born into the cinema - he was the son of Roberto Roberti (A.K.A. Vincenzo Leone), one of Italy's cinema pioneers, and actress Bice Valerian. Leone entered films in his late teens, working as an assistant director to both Italian directors and U.S. directors working in ...
1. Once upon a time in america 2. Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. 3. Per un pugno di dollari 4. Per qualche dollaro in più 5. C'era una volta il West
71. Joris Ivens
Director | La Seine a rencontré Paris
Joris Ivens was born on November 18, 1898 in Nijmegen, Gelderland, Netherlands as George Henri Anton Ivens. He was a director and writer, known for The Seine Meets Paris (1957), Pour le Mistral (1966) and A Tale of the Wind (1988). He was married to Marceline Loridan Ivens, Helen van Dongen and ...
1. Regen 2. Une histoire de vent 3. La Seine a rencontré Paris 4. ...A Valparaíso 5. De brug 6. Études de mouvements
72. Jean Cocteau
Writer | La belle et la bête
Jean Cocteau was one of the most multi-talented artists of the 20th century. In addition to being a director, he was a poet, novelist, painter, playwright, set designer, and actor. He began writing at 10 and was a published poet by age 16. He collaborated with the "Russian Ballet" company of Sergei...
1. Orphée 2. Le sang d'un poète 3. La belle et la bête
73. Peter Weir
Peter Weir was born on August 21, 1944 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia as Peter Lindsay Weir. He is a director and writer, known for Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003), The Way Back (2010) and The Truman Show (1998). He has been married to Wendy Stites since 1966. They ...
1. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 2. Picnic at Hanging Rock 3. Wittness 4. Dead Poets Society 5. The Truman Show
74. Frank Capra
Director | It's a Wonderful Life
One of seven children, Frank Capra was born on May 18, 1897, in Bisacquino, Sicily. On May 10, 1903, his family left for America aboard the ship Germania, arriving in New York on May 23rd. "There's no ventilation, and it stinks like hell. They're all miserable. It's the most degrading place you ...
1. It's a wonderfull Life 2. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 3. Lost Horizon 4. It happened one night 5. Arsenic and old lace 6. Meet John Doe
75. Elia Kazan
Director | On the Waterfront
Known for his creative stage direction, Elia Kazan was born Elias Kazantzoglou on September 7, 1909 in Constantinople, Ottoman Empire (now Istanbul, Turkey). Noted for drawing out the best dramatic performances from his actors, he directed 21 actors to Oscar nominations, resulting in nine wins. He ...
1. A Streetcar Named Desire 2. Splendor in the Grass 3. On the Waterfront 4. East of Eden 5. A Face in the Crowd
76. Alain Resnais
Director | Hiroshima mon amour
Alain Resnais was born on June 3, 1922 in Vannes, Morbihan, France as Alain Pierre Marie Jean Georges Resnais. He was a director and editor, known for Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959), Same Old Song (1997) and My American Uncle (1980). He was married to Sabine Azéma and Florence Malraux. He died on March...
1. Last Year at Marienbad 2. Hiroshima, mon amour 3. Night and Fog 4. Toute la mémoire du monde 5. Providence 6. Statues also die 7. Van Gogh
77. Leni Riefenstahl
Leni Riefenstahl's show-biz experience began with an experiment: she wanted to know what it felt like to dance on the stage. Success as a dancer gave way to film acting when she attracted the attention of film director Arnold Fanck, subsequently starring in some of his mountaineering pictures. With...
1. Olympia 2. Triumph of the Will
78. Wes Anderson
Director | Fantastic Mr. Fox
Wesley Wales Anderson was born in Houston, Texas. His mother, Texas Ann (Burroughs), is an archaeologist turned real estate agent, and his father, Melver Leonard Anderson, worked in advertising and PR. He has two brothers, Eric and Mel. Anderson's parents divorced when he was a young child, an ...
1. Grand Budapest Hotel 2. Rushmore 3. The Royal Tenenbaums 4. Moonrise Kingdom 5. The Fantastic Mr. Fox 6. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou 7. Bottle Rocket 8. Hotel Chevalier 9. Prada: Candy 10. Castello Cavalcanti 11. Cousin Ben Troop Screening with Jason Schwartzman 12. Bottle Rocket (short)
Director | Punch-Drunk Love
Anderson was born in 1970. He was one of the first of the "video store" generation of film-makers. His father was the first man on his block to own a V.C.R., and from a very early age Anderson had an infinite number of titles available to him. While film-makers like Spielberg cut their teeth making...
1. Inherent Vice 2. Boogie Nights 3. Magnolia 4. There Will be Blood 5. The Master 6. Punch-Drunk Love 7. Phantom Thread 8. Sydney 9. Radiohead: Daydreaming
Director | The Devil Is a Woman
Josef von Sternberg split his childhood between Vienna and New York City. His father, a former soldier in the Austro-Hungarian army, could not support his family in either city; Sternberg remembered him only as "an enormously strong man who often used his strength on me." Forced by poverty to drop ...
1. The Docks of New York 2. Underworld 3. The Scarlet Empress 4. Morocco 5. Der Blaue Engel 6. Shanghai Express 7. The Last Command 8. The Blonde Venus
81. Jean Vigo
Jean Vigo had bad health since he was a child. Son of anarchist militant Miguel Almareyda, he also never really recovered from his father's mysterious death in jail when he was 12. Abandoned by his mother, he passed from boarding school to boarding school. Aged 23, through meetings with people ...
1. L'Atalante 2. À propos de Nice 3. Zéro de conduite: Jeunes diables au collège 4. Taris, roi de l'eau
82. Don Bluth
Director | Anastasia
Don Bluth was one of the chief animators at Disney to come to the mantle after the great one's death. He eventually became the animation director for such films as The Rescuers (1977) and Pete's Dragon (1977). Unfortunately, the quality of animation that Disney was producing at this point was not ...
1. The Land Before Time 2. The Secret of NIMH 3. Titan A.E. 4. All Dogs go to Heaven 5. Anastasia 6. The Small One 7. An American Tail 8. The Pebble and the Penguin 9. A Troll in Central Park
83. Alexander Kluge
Director | Abschied von gestern - (Anita G.)
Writer. Director. Producer. Studied law and graduated. Was one of the founders of the Oberhausener Manifest in 1962. Since 1962 Headmaster of the 'Institut fuer Filmgestaltung' at the 'Hochschule fuer Gestaltung' in Ulm, Germany. Since 1988 produces broadcastings dealing with cultural aspects in ...
1. Abschied von gestern 2. Die Artisten in der Zirkuskuppel: ratlos 3. Brutalität in Stein
84. Jean Eustache
Editor | La maman et la putain
Jean Eustache was born on November 30, 1938 in Pessac, Gironde, France. He was an editor and director, known for The Mother and the Whore (1973), Mes Petites Amoureuses (1974) and Les photos d'Alix (1980). He died on November 3, 1981 in Paris, France.
1. La maman et la putain 2. Le Père Noël a les yeux bleus
Writer | Le salaire de la peur
Beginning his film career as a screenwriter, Henri-Georges Clouzot switched over to directing and in 1943 had the distinction of having his film Le Corbeau (1943) banned by both the German forces occupying France and the Free French forces fighting them, but for different reasons. He shot to ...
1. Les Diaboliques
2. Le salaire de la peur
3. Le Corbeau
4. L'enfer d'Henri-Georges Clouzot
5. Quai des Orfèvres
(The documentary is not directed by Clouzot himself but included because he directed the film it's about and most of the documentary consists of various takes made for the film)
86. Andrzej Zulawski
Writer | Possession
Born in Lvov, Ukraine; then he moved with his father Miroslaw Zulawski to Czechoslovakia and later to Poland. In the late 1950s, he studied cinema in France. In the 1960s, he was an assistant of the famous Polish film director Andrzej Wajda. His feature debut The Third Part of the Night (1971) was ...
1. Possession 2. On the Silver Globe
87. Billy Wilder
Writer | The Apartment
Originally planning to become a lawyer, Billy Wilder abandoned that career in favor of working as a reporter for a Viennese newspaper, using this experience to move to Berlin, where he worked for the city's largest tabloid. He broke into films as a screenwriter in 1929 and wrote scripts for many ...
1. The Lost Weekend 2. Double Indemnity 3. The Apartment 4. Sunset Blvd. 5. Wittness for the prosecution 6. Some like it hot 7. Ace in the hole 8. One, Two, Three 9. Stalag 17
88. Paul Verhoeven
Director | Zwartboek
Paul Verhoeven graduated from the University of Leiden, with a degree in math and physics. He entered the Royal Netherlands Navy, where he began his film career by making documentaries for the Navy and later for TV. In 1969, he directed the popular Dutch TV series, Floris (1969), about a medieval ...
1. Zwartboek 2. Elle 3. Starship Troopers 4. Total Recall 5. Robocop 6. Showgirls 7. Basic Instinct
Producer | Apocalypse Now
Francis Ford Coppola was born in 1939 in Detroit, Michigan, but grew up in a New York suburb in a creative, supportive Italian-American family. His father, Carmine Coppola, was a composer and musician. His mother, Italia Coppola (née Pennino), had been an actress. Francis Ford Coppola graduated ...
1. The Godfather Part II 2. Apocalypse Now 3. The Godfather 4. The Godfather Part III 5. The Conversation 6. Bram Stoker's Dracula
90. Sam Raimi
Director | Spider-Man
Highly inventive U.S. film director/producer/writer/actor Sam Raimi first came to the attention of film fans with the savage, yet darkly humorous, low-budget horror film, The Evil Dead (1981). From his childhood, Raimi was a fan of the cinema and, before he was ten-years-old, he was out making ...
1. Spiderman 2 2. Spiderman 3. Evil Dead II 4. Spiderman 3 5. Army of Darkness 6. Drag me to Hell 7. Evil Dead 8. Darkman
91. Federico Fellini
Writer | Amarcord
The women who both attracted and frightened him and an Italy dominated in his youth by Mussolini and Pope Pius XII - inspired the dreams that Fellini started recording in notebooks in the 1960s. Life and dreams were raw material for his films. His native Rimini and characters like Saraghina (the ...
1. La dolce Vita 2. 8 1/2 3. Amarcord 4. La Strada 5. I vitelloni 6. Giulietta degli spiriti 7. Satyricon 8. Le notti di Cabiria
92. Ousmane Sembene
Director | Moolaadé
The first film director from an African country to achieve international recognition, Ousmane Sembene remains the major figure in the rise of an independent post-colonial African cinema. Sembene's roots were not, as might be expected, in the educated élite. After working as a mechanic and ...
1. Ceddo 2. Xala 3. La noire de... 4. Borom sarret
93. John Carpenter
Writer | The Fog
John Howard Carpenter was born in Carthage, New York, to mother Milton Jean (Carter) and father Howard Ralph Carpenter. His family moved to Bowling Green, Kentucky, where his father, a professor, was head of the music department at Western Kentucky University. He attended Western Kentucky ...
1. The Thing 2. Dark Star 3. Halloween 4. The Fog 5. Escape from New York 6. Prince of Darkness 7. Assault on Precinct 13 8. Big Trouble in Little China 9. In the Mouth of Madness 10. They Live 11. Escape from L.A.
94. Maurice Pialat
Director | À nos amours
Maurice Pialat was a French film director. Film critics have noted the naturalist style of his films, and their autobiographical elements.
Pialat obtained his first camera when only 16-years-old, but his early career involved creating documentary short films. His ambition was to become a painter and...
1. À nos amours 2. L'enfance nue 3. Sous le soleil de Satan 4. L'amour existe
95. D.W. Griffith
Director | The Birth of a Nation
David Wark Griffith was born in rural Kentucky to Jacob "Roaring Jake" Griffith, a former Confederate Army colonel and Civil War veteran. Young Griffith grew up with his father's romantic war stories and melodramatic nineteenth-century literature that were to eventually shape his movies. In 1897 ...
1. True Heart Susie 2. Intolerance 3. Way Down East 4. Broken Blossoms 5. The Unchanging Sea 6. Judith of Bethulia 7. The Birth of a Nation 8. The Avenging Conscience: or 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' 9. A Corner in the Wheat 10. The Musketeers of Pig Alley 11. Those Awful Hats 12. The Girl and Her Trust 13. The Country Doctor 14. The Rose of Kentucky
Director | Russkiy kovcheg
He was born with a disability because of an anatomic defect of his leg, in 1951 in Podorvikha village in Siberian Russia. His father was a Red Army veteran of WW2. One of most important contemporary filmmakers, Sokurov worked extensively in television and later graduated from the prestigious film ...
1. Russian Ark 2. Mother and Son 3. Faust
Director | Oktyabr
The son of an affluent architect, Eisenstein attended the Institute of Civil Engineering in Petrograd as a young man. With the fall of the tsar in 1917, he worked as an engineer for the Red Army. In the following years, Eisenstein joined up with the Moscow Proletkult Theater as a set designer and ...
1. Alexander Nevsky 2. Battleship Potemkin 3. Ivan the Terrible 4. Ivan the Terrible Part II 5. Strike 6. Romance sentimentale 7. October
98. Maya Deren
Director | Meshes of the Afternoon
Maya Deren came to the USA in 1922 as Eleanora Derenkowsky. Together with her father Solomon Derenkowsky, a psychiatrist, and her mother Maria Fidler, an artist, she fled the pogroms organized by the Bolsheviks against the Jews. She studied journalism and political science at the Syracuse ...
Multiple co-directed with: Alexander Hammid
1. Meshes of the Afternoon 2. Ritual in Transfigured Time 3. At Land 4. The Private Life of a Cat 5. A Study in Choreography for Camera
Writer | La montaña sagrada
Alejandro Jodorowsky was born in Iquique, Chile on February 17, 1929. In 1942 he moved to Santiago where he attended university, was a circus clown and a puppeteer. In 1955 he went to Paris and studied mime with Marcel Marceau. He worked with Maurice Chevalier there and made a short film, La cravate...
1. The Holy Mountain 2. El Topo
100. Hayao Miyazaki
Director | Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi
Hayao Miyazaki is one of Japan's greatest animation directors. The entertaining plots, compelling characters, and breathtaking animation in his films have earned him international renown from critics as well as public recognition within Japan. The Walt Disney Company's commitment to introduce the ...
1. Spirited Away 2. Princess Mononoke 3. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 4. My Neighbor Totoro 5. Castle in the Sky 6. The Wind Rises 7. Howl's Moving Castle 8. Kiki's Delivery Service