IronBallsM

This Is Literally One Of The Best Action/Adventure Movie Ever Made! 10/10 Perfection., 21 April 2016

The main theme centers on Cap's internal struggles and Cap's relationships with everyone from previous film. This is indeed a Captain America film and NOT Avengers 2.5. Everyone from Sam Wilson the Falcon to Bucky Barnes to Tony Stark plays a huge role but it's all in relation to Cap being the main focus. Even interaction with Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow and Clint Barton/Hawkeye are important. Previous films are paid off nicely and it's why even smaller roles are pivotal. This movie stands on its own, but it certainly respects its roots of everything that has made the MCU great. It not only respects it but it quite literally pays off a lot of it but in a natural and even a surprising way. It's not necessary to have sen previous films but it certainly adds to the remarkable depth and the impact of this movie.

The film is really grounded in a believable world that supports the political thriller and psychological thriller aspect, and it's helped by the caliber of the cast involved.

A core theme surrounding Cap is the idea that he once used to represent America and has now become alien to modern thoughts and values due to the passage of time and the events of the Winter Soldier movie. Seeing this level of emotional stakes of this hero's journey is rare and incredibly captivating.

All the fighting is very visceral and believable. Early on it's amazing and when it comes to hero vs hero, it becomes even more so. This is no "scrimmage" or fake fight. The stakes are VERY real and very intense.

This movie puts Cap through a lot and the audience is right there feeling everything with him. It's an incredible ride and one of the best movies that I have ever seen. Not just superhero films but movies in general. It really is that good.

Risen (2016)
a very well done inspirational story that will hit home for every Christian, 19 February 2016

A movie that, in many ways, could very well be the sequel to The Passion of The Christ. Unlike many other Christian made films, it's very well done with the performances being superb. Everything feels authentic and the production values are top notch. The story itself will hit home with every Christian that watches the film and is basically split in to two arcs. Both arcs are from the point of view of what is basically Pilate's right-hand man. The first half of the film confronts how he deals with the events of Easter Sunday morning and the aftermath. The second half is all about how he deals with what he has learned and what the early ramifications of the Resurrection means to everyone involved.

It's inspiring and blends very well Biblical events with instructive narrative. It's very easy to believe that the days following the Resurrection played out in a similar fashion. This film will become a Lenten classic to those of faith.

The Intern (2015/I)
A nice -- feel good film, 1 October 2015

This really is the definition of a "nice" movie. When the performances and the concept are this good, sometimes nice is more than enough. Everything plays out in a rather formulaic way and the resolution involving the marriage issue felt hallow. Yet, Deniro and Hathaway's characters were charming enough to make up for any shallowness. I really did love the old school versus new age philosophy on display and wish they had featured way more of that in the overall story. Seeing his skills pay off more instead of him just being a good guy would have been more rewarding and given the film more depth.

In the end, heart wins out over the clichés and the movie turned out to be a "nice" way to spend two hours.

This effort is so awful that it actually offends me., 7 August 2015

If this fiasco had been just another Sci-fi Channel type movie I may not have found it offensively bad. I would roll my eyes at its awfulness and move on. Basically, treat it like a Sharknado level movie.

However, taking literary characters that are complex and for years deserved the title of "World's Greatest Comic Magazine" that appeared on their cover and reduce them to this inane drivel is outrageous. Everything about this movie is a waste of film and of talent. The lead up and first act is dull as possible with the characters having the depth of a mud puddle. Still, it was mediocre enough to keep the viewer's attention. Then, they completely forgo any kind of second act at all and jump forward in time. Finally, they deliver the worst concluding act and lack of payoff in comic book adaptation history.

It felt as if I was watching a school assignment or test given to a child that clearly couldn't handle the material. It actually feels like Fox was the teacher and Josh Trank the child and the teacher gave the student a certain amount of time to finish. When the kid clearly was having trouble the teacher either asked other incompetent students to step in and try and help or else the overwhelmed kid just started scribbling anything to fill the page. The movie honestly gives off that vibe. How does something this incompetently pieced together hit the summer big screen?

Whether it was a combination of an overwhelmed director, an awful script, lack of budget or budget being stripped away at the last second by a panicked studio or straight up studio interference it doesn't matter. What was released in theatres is an abomination to the genre and painful to watch.

Ant-Man (2015)
As Good As An Origin Film Can Get! Pure Fun., 25 July 2015

Either it was a lowered expectation factor or else they really did deliver an instant classic, it's hard to tell at this stage. I love this movie. Somehow it didn't feel epic enough to warrant a 10/10 perfect rating even though I really can't think of one thing I'd change to make it better. Ant-Man is fun first and foremost. It has true heart and soul and the best humor possible without it being too much. I enjoyed the heist angle and the many surprises that kept popping up throughout its running time. Everything felt more intimate and it was the perfect way to follow Age of Ultron for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Everything doesn't have to be large, grim or of a world-changing flavor. This may signal the perfect way to move forward for their phase three. Deliver large and then small as they rotate between Avenger and solo films. Whatever the case, I hope to see more of Scott Lang as Ant-Man and his entire supporting cast. Everyone was absolutely wonderful in their roles.

I saw this with a group of 15 family members and every last one of them loved it. Kids and adults, men and women everyone was smiling and raving about the film... that doesn't happen often.

An Insult To Film Fans And The First Two Films, 6 July 2015

The critics are right about this one. It's just one dumb movie any way it's sliced. Frankly, instead of being a heady re-launch of a franchise with an alternate timeline it feels more like an insult to the classic first two films.

Everything plays out like poorly written fan fiction, everything except the budget. There are plenty of explosions and robots to go around. It's too bad none of it really resonates. Honestly, I can't name one single stand out action sequence. The cast itself (with the exception of Arnie) is as vanilla as it gets and all three leads simply terribly miscast. The actor that played John Conner was flat out awful. Speaking of John Conner, having his character be yet another generation of Terminator may have seemed like a great twist in script form but it plays out just terribly. Since they showed that plot point in the very first trailer, I don't even consider that spoiler material. Overall, this is one huge disappointment.

Aloha (2015/I)
Not bad, 27 June 2015

Not quite as bad as all the critics made it out to be. In fact, there were times were this cast really shined. It reminded me of an NHL or NBA all-star game in a way. This was a superb cast thrown together in something that resembles a real movie where the story is pieced together just to show off certain talents. It's like every tenth page or so of the script was really well written and exceptional but the pages in between were hammered together crudely with clumsy dialogue in order to get to those specific moments. What results is a rambling movie that misfires often despite the fact that the entire ensemble is as good as it gets. Bill Murray was wasted and there simply is no chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone. Individually the two leads are fine but together there was absolutely no sizzle. Emma and John Krasinski's characters are one dimensional near cartoon characters all the way through. Despite the writing only hitting at a 10% clip, somehow the movie engages enough to be interesting start to rather silly finish.

Turn off your brain and HAVE FUN!, 16 June 2015

I enjoyed this movie warts and all. Yes, I was expecting more "wow" in terms of dinosaur action but it did deliver enough for me to happily crunch my way through a giant tub of popcorn. The first 20 minutes or so is simply bad cinema. Cartoon level characters with no depth setting up the rest of the film. Then, somehow I grew to care for those characters by the end of the movie. I believe this has more to do with great casting and really nothing to do with story. Bryce Dallas Howard and Chris Pratt ooze charisma and charm. The call backs to the classic original certainly help. I wish we would have had better dinosaur fights and I really hated the horribly written bad-guy with alternative motives that have zero feasibility. Still, I went in expecting a monster movie popcorn flick and that's what they delivered for the most part.

Five Beautiful People's Fight To Survive While Hundreds of Thousands Die Horribly, 5 June 2015

– This is exactly what was advertised…. a pure CGI disaster film where we follow one family of beautiful people as they struggle to unite and survive. That's the movie, period. It's well paced and entertaining enough if the viewer is able to focus on the Rock, his lovely wife and stunning daughter and look beyond the constant horrific images of hundreds of thousands of people dying horrible deaths. The scope here is off the charts. That's where a movie like this differs from other films like The Poseidon Adventure or Towering Inferno. Massive disaster and destruction abounds in horrific spectacle and it comes in wave after wave, by the end, quite literally.

A shallow mess of a movie, 26 May 2015

A good story concept and a great idea in general ruined by shallowness at every turn. The first act of the film is intriguing and nicely set up despite the remarkably shallow characters introduced. The "gosh darn amazing" dad, the little brother and even the lead female optimistic dreamer character are as clichéd as it gets. Even so, the set up and dynamic of the first half of the film is engrossing. Then, the story turns and is based upon what amounts to shallow hippie nonsense. The overall plot problem doesn't even aid in the liberal type message it appears that the movie wants to send.

This movie never knew what it wanted to be (Disney theme park promotion? Liberal agenda piece? Sappy kids move? Adventure film with creepy savage killer robots?) and the tone was all over the place. Add the fact that the script is as shallow as a mud puddle and it was actually sad to watch an interesting concept disintegrate as every scene unfolded.