tiffy-maurer

A spring fling, 21 May 2007

Didn't really know what to expect when I first sat down to watch The Holiday, OK it looked like it had a pretty good cast with Law, Diaz,Black and Winslett. This is the first Jude Law film that I really liked, and have to say that I think Jude may have found his acting nich. This is a story of two women who different in a lot of respects are quite the same in many others. Both have just undergone deeply painful breakups and both want to take a break and get away from men. However it ends up that where each go the men that they are suppose to meet find them. This really has to be one of the cutest movies I have seen. There were parts where I was laughing so hard that my stomach hurt and at the end I found myself wiping away tears. I would recommend this movie for anyone who has a 'date night' DVD night at there place. This movie definitely ranks up there on my chick flick list. Go see it you won't regret it

Gravedancers, 19 November 2006

Grave Dancers was my favorite movie. Everything about it was amazing-the acting, the dialogue, the plot, the effects. I have been writing many short "horror stories" for a long, long time. This movie will inspire me to keep writing and to use its plot and characters as role models. The cast and director were astounding, believable, and as I said before, brilliant. Though it didn't have numerous action sequences, the plot's many twists and occurrences were perfectly done (not dramatized and/or overly exaggerated.)The biggest twist in the plot (I'm not going to spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it) wasn't obvious at all, but supported by other details in the movie that led up to it. All in all, I loved this movie and could watch it over and over again without getting tired of it!!!

A very under-rated film, 5 May 2006

Just a short plug for a very under-rated film from an under-rated director. I first saw this movie at the BIFFF festivals in Brussels, back in February. I didn't like it, mainly because it seemed that two different subjects were forcefully put together. So I decided to read the book. Then I saw it again yesterday in London, and I do have to say it is a good film! Understanding the dynamics of the human society is not only important but crucial. For someone just discovering the wonderful world of youth and life itself and then being tossed into a hell's kitchen of hate towards the ones she loves is brilliant to create tension. Then dress up the film in a cloak of horror just to make it accessible to an audience which usually does not concern itself with these kinds of issues. Yes Solomon is under-rated and misunderstood. Yet he has a subtle way of telling you a story with a meaning behind it; a meaning that can change people for the better.