aidosh94

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

So incredibly funny!, 11 September 2009

The film stars Clark Gable, Doris Day and one of my all-time favorites, Gig Young. Mamie Van Doren also appears in a very small role.

I've seen Teacher's Pet four times since I bought it six weeks ago. Gig Young gives the films' funniest performance and got a well-deserved Oscarnomination for it. We see Clark Gable in one of his late roles and Day is as charming and conservative as ever. This movie, unlike so many other classic romantic/comedies, has a message. And a very important one at that.

Each time you watch Teacher's Pet you find something more to laugh at and you really begin to understand and appreciate the wonderful performances.

Dull Elvis vehicle: 6.5/10, 8 March 2009

"Mike and Danny fly a crop duster, but because of Danny's gambling debts, a local sheriff takes custody of it. Trying to earn money, they hitch-hike to the World's Fair in Seattle. While Danny tries to earn money playing poker, Mike takes care of a small girl, Sue-Lin, whose father has disappeared. Being a ladies' man, he also finds the time to court a young nurse, Diane." Yep, here we go again... The only good song in this "musical" is One Broken Heart For Sale, and that comes pretty late in the film. Til then you'll just have to sit through it. It's not as bad as "The Trouble With Girls", but it's not as good as "Jailhouse Rock". The child actor is pretty annoying, and Elvis' character is forgettable. The "leading lady" was one of the worst he's ever had; she couldn't act, or sing or dance. She was just like standing there looking pretty. But hey, if you're an Elvis fan you'll just be happy seeing the very sight of him, but you won't enjoy the movie.

Amusing, but that doesn't make up for the awful plot: 6.5/10, 8 March 2009

"Elvis plays Ross Carpenter, a fishing guide/sailor who loves his life out on the sea. When he finds out his boss is retiring to Arizona, he has to find a way to buy the Westwind, a boat that he and his father built. He is also caught between two women: insensitive club singer Robin and sweet Laurel." You've seen it all before; the gorgeous women, Elvis singing ridiculous songs such as Girls! Girls! Girls!, Earth Boy and Song of the Shrimp (!). But some songs are really great; Return to Sender, Because of Love and Where Do You Come From. My favorite scene is him and Laurel Goodwin (who plays Laurel Dodge) dancing the tango to The Walls Have Ears. The leading lady was adorable, but Elvis' character was forgettable and dull. I don't see this as a film any movie collector should collect because of its acting or plot, but because it's a collector's item. Anyway, don't expect a great movie, but be prepared to sing a long with the songs.

I love this movie! 9/10, 8 March 2009

"A troubled young man discovers that he has a knack for writing when a counselor encourages him to pursue a literary career." Do me a favour: Do not think of this movie as any other Elvis flick, because this is one of the best classic films I've seen. Well, he sings a couple songs to his lovers and he gets into a couple of fights, but here it just doesn't happen randomly. The plot is excellent and Elvis blew me away with his acting. There's one specific scene where he's sharing stories about his dead mother with Hope Lange and it almost brought me to tears. His acting was very natural, as was Hope Lange's, Tuesday Weld's and Millie Perkins'. This is a fantastic movie and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Very good plot: 7.5, 8 March 2009

"Sam Burton's second wife Neddy is Indian, their son Pacer a half-breed. As struggle starts between the whites and the Kiowas, the Burton family is split between loyalties. Neddy and Sam are killed; Pacer sides with the Indians, his half-brother Clint with the whites." It's a nice change to see an Elvis movie without almost any singing for once. In this movie, the focus is not on beautiful women or the soundtrack, but the focus is on Elvis' character, Pacer, who is torn between staying with the whites, or siding with the Indians. The acting is also wonderful and believable. Bottom line is, you don't have to be an Elvis fan to see this great movie.

G.I. Blues (1960)
Very entertaining: 7.5, 8 March 2009

"In Frankfurt, the G.I. Tulsa McLean (Elvis Presley) bets all the money his friends Cookie (Robert Ivers) and Rick (James Douglas) and he are saving to buy a night-club of their own in USA that his mate Dynamite will seduce and spend a night with the untouchable cabaret dancer Lili (Juliet Prowse). When Dynamite is transferred to Alaska, Tulsa has to replace him in the bet, but he falls for Lili and tries to call off the game." It's a nice plot and the acting was OK, but the best thing about this movie is the soundtrack. The songs are fun, catchy, and Elvis knows just exactly how to sing them. As do Juliet Prowse; for the first time Elvis is paired up with a leading lady who dances and is good enough to be compared with Elvis' character, Tulsa. I recommend this great musical to any Elvis fan.

Wonderful acting makes this movie: 8/10, 7 March 2009

"Danny Fisher, young delinquent, flunks out of high school. He quits his job as a busboy in a nightclub, and one night he gets the chance to perform. Success is imminent and the local crime boss Maxie Fields wants to hire him to perform at his night club The Blue Shade. Danny refuses, but Fields won't take no for an answer..." Awesome plot, great acting and a brooding Elvis is what makes this film a classic, a mix of crime, drama and musical. This is Elvis' greatest movie so far, well it's a tie between this and Jailhouse Rock, and he is amazing as Danny Fisher, the young delinquent who gets mixed up with crook Maxie Fields (the incredible Walter Matthau) and the lovely Carolyn Jones. This is probably the one movie where all leading, and supporting, actors give great performances all over. It's a must see for any Elvis (or classic film) fan. And I promise, you won't regret it.

One of Elvis' greatest: 8/10, 7 March 2009

"It ain't tactics, honey. It's just the beast in me." Elvis is smoldering in this classic flick, and he delivers a great performance as Vince Everett; a youngster who is thrown in jail on the charges of manslaughter, and then becomes a rock star when released. Judy Tyler is wonderful, and it's a shame we lost her at such a young age. Mickey Shaughnessy gives a solid performance as Hunk Houghton, the jealous former cell mate and business partner. The soundtrack is amazing, featuring songs as Jailhouse Rock, Young And Beautiful, One More Day, Don't Leave Me Now, and my favorite, I Want To Be Free. You can't help but wonder how many other great movies like this Elvis could've made if his manager Col. Tom Parker didn't screw things up for him. Ah well, see this great movie and enjoy, because it's a one of a kind.

Loving You (1957)
Okay, but forgettable Elvis flick: 7/10, 7 March 2009

"Deke Rivers is a delivery man who is discovered by publicist Glenda Markle and country-western musician Tex Warner who want to promote the talented newcomer to fame and fortune, giving him every break he deserves. Romantic complications arise as Susan, another singer in the group, offers him devoted admiration as Glenda leads him on with promises of a golden future." Pretty decent plot as you can see, and the performances were pretty OK. The chemistry between Elvis and Lizabeth Scott was great, as was the chemistry between Scott and Wendell Corey, who plays Tex. It was a good movie, but it didn't have the excitement or the charisma as "Love Me Tender", the film Elvis made the year before. But I recommend it to any classic film fan.

Nice start at Elvis' career: 7.5/10, 7 March 2009

"Vance, I didn't mean it! I swear I didn't mean it!" This was a pretty nice start at Elvis' career, spanning over 30 films. His first film performance was good, not great and not bad, just good. One problem was that he and Debra Paget, who played Cathy Reno, lacked chemistry. I actually found the rest of the actors in this films pretty boring and forgettable, but I think it was made that way so the focus would be on the rising star at that time, Elvis Presley. The ending was actually my favorite part of the movie, where Clint (Presley) has just been shot and he begs of forgiveness to his brother. It's pretty sad, really. Anyway, you should definitely watch this film, but don't expect a masterpiece of some sort.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]