Mis_Behavin

17 Again (2009)
Worth A Look, 18 January 2012

I watched this last night, not really expecting very much, but I like Matthew Perry and the whole 'swapping bodies/age' concept so thought it would be OK.

It's certainly not the best of the bunch - I think that award will always belong to Big for me personally, but it's a lot better than I thought it would be and I was surprised at how good Zac Effron was too. I've never really paid him much attention before, being in my late 20's I'm not really in the target audience for his previous offerings! He's a surprisingly good actor and what I was particularly impressed by was how he nailed Matthew Perry's mannerisms and speech style and fed them into his portrayal of 'Young Mike'. Very Clever.

Matthew Perry was actually slightly miscast in this I thought, but unfortunately, I think the ghost of Chandler Bing will follow him throughout his career and he may seem out of place no matter what he does.

The storyline has a few whopping holes in it - I spent half the movie trying to work out how Scarlett supposedly fell pregnant in '89, yet 20 years later her child was still in High School? Never mind though, it was a perfectly reasonable piece of fluff to while away a couple of hours and sometimes you don't need to look any deeper than that!

Below Par Adaptation, 26 January 2009

The 'Georgia' diaries became a huge cult hit amongst adults - I read Angus, Thongs... when I was 24 and just laughed out loud all the way through - it reminded me so much of my school days and all the things that seem soooo hugely important to a 14 year old girl. They really are hilarious books.

Unfortunately, this is another case of 'nowhere near as good as the book'. Badly miscast (especially Georgia) with young actors I found it really difficult to warm to, the acting was pretty lousy too. I was so disappointed with this film - but I've given it a generous 6 as I feel watching it firsthand, without reading the book first, it may come across better to it's target audience.

Boy A (2007)
Made me cry like no other film, 27 November 2007

I watched this last night on Channel 4 and I honestly cannot believe just how much it has challenged my opinions on this highly emotive subject. I cried very hard for about 20 minutes after the end credits and I still cannot stop thinking about it. I almost wished I hadn't watched it as it has just challenged my way of thinking so much - although I suppose that is what films are supposed to do.

The story revolves around Jack - formerly known as Eric - a child murderer released at the age of 24 after serving 14 years in prison for a crime he committed with his accomplice Philip at the age of 10. It follows his re-entry into the world, making friends and finding his way.

Suffice to say Eric and Philip were two very neglected souls. Philip, we discover through a series of flashbacks, is suffering very severe sexual abuse at the hands of his older brother (and I just have to say that Taylor Doherty who played him is hopefully set for a very bright future - what an understated and convincing performance). Eric is neglected by his family, friendless, bullied and he clings onto his only friend in Philip - which I believe is probably why he goes along with the crime - for fear of letting down his one and only companion in the world.

This has reinforced my opinion that children, including child murderers, are not born evil - they are shaped by their surroundings and their upbringing. It has changed my opinion of how they should be handled - they SHOULD be given a second chance. Jack was a lost soul who had played a part in the most heinous crime but he was desperately trying to turn his life around. It is hammered home that he is not evil when he saves the little girl from the car accident. He is living a haunted half life - 24 with the naivety of someone half his age. I so wanted him to build up a good life which I think was why the ending upset me so much. The whole film leads up to it and Andrew Garfield's superb performance just haunted me afterwards.

To be honest - I don't think I will watch this film again as I just find it too upsetting - and that really is not like me (although I am pregnant and a bit hormonal at the moment) - but I think there are some future stars in this film, namely Andrew Garfield who played Jack and Taylor Doherty who played young Philip Craig.

You really should watch this film

Like being at an 1800's freak show, 14 November 2007

This programme is the equivalent of the old freak shows where people used to laugh at the more unfortunate within society.

Now, not a lot of guests on TJKS are 'unfortunate'. In fact, it's plain to see their problems are mostly entirely self-inflicted. What really gets my back up though is Mr Smug himself - oh yes - put your hands together (by pain of death) for Jeremy Kyle. The most sanctimonious piece of s**t ever to grace a television screen. This man has seen and done it all and he never fails to get in the face of some poor b*st*rd who has come on either for his 15 minutes of fame or maybe a bit of help from Kyle's counsellors.

I think someone would have to be seriously damaged to air their problems on a show like this - and this programme manipulates that vulnerability to the max.

The one thing that particularly disturbs me is some of the warring young couples who come on the show to fight over paternity of their 'bay-bey'. What the hell do these poor babies have going for them with dead-heads like these as parents. Some of them look like they couldn't find their bum with both hands, let alone raise a child.

This show is a sad indictment of everything Britain has become.

Has gone off the boil, 9 November 2007

This programme was 100% TV Gold when it first began. Series 1 & 2 were fabulous. It had it all - fabulous comedy, heartwarming family dynamics, strong characters - the works.

Unfortunately, that is where it should have ended. Shameless lost two of it's most integral characters during series 2 (Steve and Fiona) and I don't think it ever really recovered. I think it might just have coped without James McAvoy, but without Anne-Marie Duff it lost a lot of the much needed warmth and became a show purely about a slightly chavvy family living on a rough estate in Manchester.

It limped along through a third series which was just about OK thanks to excellent comedic performances from David Threlfall (Frank), Maxine Peake (Veronica) and Dean Lennox Kelly (Kev). However, it was a dying duck and the absolute final nail in the coffin for me was the return of the awful Monica into the family fold during series 4.

It was shortly after this that I switched off.

Shameless was truly excellent to begin with - I don't know anyone who didn't love it. But it's had its day now and I wish the producer had been brave enough to pull the plug after series 3 at the absolute most so it could have been remembered as a great show. At this rate it's going to end up another 'Bad Girls' - a quality show to begin with that descended into really, really crap pantomime because the production company was too greedy (or short of new ideas) to:

JUST. LET. IT. GO!!!!

Surprisingly OK, 6 November 2007

I actually thought this film wasn't bad. It wasn't a masterpiece, but then again I don't think it ever had aspirations to be.

J-Lo does a good job to pull off her role nicely - although in the beginning I couldn't help but think 'Oh look - it's Jennifer Lopez, prime diva, pretending to be poor'.

Even more amazingly is that Mr Pretentious - step forward Ralph 'it's pronounced Rafe' Fiennes - does a good job in making his role believable.

With a good supporting cast this film trundles along nicely. It's never going to change your life but not bad for whiling away a boring afternoon if you've nothing better to do.

Reinforces my already low opinion of this Vile Woman, 10 August 2007

Are there no depths to which this stain on society is prepared to sink? Jodie Marsh is absolutely disgusting. She has the morals of an alley cat and being so utterly desperate that she is prepared to marry ANYONE doesn't even make me pity her - I just think she is a complete loser. She's doing a very good job of making herself look a complete fool on this show.

Does she honestly think that marriage is just about a big white wedding with trapeze artists and a Black and White dress code? She's a joke and she makes a mockery of marriage.

Sorry - but this deluded 'businesswoman' (what a joke) infuriates me. I wish she'd just p*ss off back where she belongs and stop darkening our screens. I CANNOT believe MTV have given this leech airtime. I Was unfortunate enough to catch 15 minutes of her show and literally could not watch anymore.

Listening to Ms Marsh banging on about 'celebrity weddings going mental - helicopters etc (don't count your chickens love - apparently only 2 people came to one of the auditions - what does that tell you - NO ONE'S INTERESTED IN YOU!!) made me cringe at how she totally lacks any shred of self-awareness.

Let's face it - anyone who makes Jordan look classy and respectable really is residing at the lowest echelon of society.

'Filth' with a capital F.

Sorry - I know I shouldn't write about this woman as publicity and people talking about her is her oxygen but I couldn't hold back. I feel so much better now!!!!

"Major" mistake by Britains biggest media whore, 26 July 2007

I'm grateful for one thing and one thing only - that this woman will now be thousands of miles away on an entirely different continent!!! Yay!!! This programme summed up perfectly just how obsessed Victoria Beckham has become with whoring herself and her family out to the media in the name of self promotion and 'Brand f*cking Beckham'.

A few years ago I used to really like 'Posh and Becks', I still very much admire David's talent, but I have no respect for him anymore. How can you respect someone who has his wife's hand shoved up his backside working him like a puppet.

It was clear the hand of Victoria was all over Beckham's premature departure from Manchester United and now the same thing has happened at Real Madrid. I hope Beckham can live with the fact that although he may be earning squillions of pounds - he's sold his soul for the American Buck and will end his days playing for a team who would struggle to gain promotion from Division One in England (no offence America - but at Baseball and Basketball you rule - football you don't!)

Anyway - I digress. It's been years since I've seen such an over-the-top, entirely false performance from 'Posh' - this being topped only during her cringe worthy red carpet performances following the Rebecca Loos 'debacle', when instead of throwing all the cr*p at David he deserved, she desperately clung onto his arm trying to save the million pound money-spinner her marriage has become.

This whole PR stunt was pathetic. Why can't she just go over there quietly, support her husband through the biggest mistake of his professional career and keep her head down? When did she become so full of self importance that she feels the move to America should be shrouded by this huge fan fare?

Incidentally, I saw the David Beckham documentary last night. At least he has retained a sliver of grace and humility. Two things his wife could do with learning.

One more thing Victoria - you complain about constantly being hounded by the paps. Little hint - stop tipping them off about your whereabouts you stupid woman.

Good Luck America!!

A likable Film, 13 February 2007

I didn't have particularly high hopes for this film - I'm not a fan of Jennifer Aniston movies, however I was pleasantly surprised. I found the characters very believable (I have finally managed to squash the image of 'Rachel' out of my head!) and I thought Aniston and Vaughan acted out the demise of a long-term relationship very well and with a lot of emotion that actually rang true.

The film displayed just how petty adults can be when they are hurting and trying to shield themselves and how heartbreaking the end of a relationship is.

I thought the ending could be seen a mile off, however I was again very surprised. About 30 minutes from the end I thought it was obvious they were going to stay together and it would all be tied up in a typical, pretty Hollywood-happy-ending package. Amazingly, it didn't - but it was still very touching and most of all - very realistic. I liked this film.

Utter freak-show that should have been stopped after series 3, 17 October 2006

I'll confess - I loved the first series of Big Brother. It was a new concept, an interesting experiment and I was glued to it.

Fast forward six years. BB has spawned a generation of low-brow reality TV shows which are putting genuine actors out of work and are responsible for stupid, empty headed people leaving school with no other aspiration but to 'be on tele'.

The contestants on Big Brother are now all-to-aware that when they leave the house the spotlight will be on them. However, what they fail to realise (because they are so vain and self-obsessed) is that once the media have chewed them up and spat them out, they will be consigned to the scrapheap forever, because lets face it - who would employ some freak who is foolish enough to have shown every bad aspect of their personality on national television.

Endemol and Channel 4 should be ashamed of themselves for persisting with BB - which is nothing but a money spinner. They couldn't care less about the welfare of the contestants, a point proved by the fact that this year we have had the worst bunch of idiots yet to grace our screens, including a former anorexic with pretty obvious self-esteem and mental issues. Sick. That poor girls life is going to be destroyed forever and just to Channel 4 could make an easy buck over the quiet Summer period.

BB highlights everything which is bad about society and shows what a tacky, celebrity obsessed place Britain has become.