Reviews

124 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Gettysburg (1993)
Epic!
16 October 2014
At four and half hours long, this is like sitting through three 90 minute movies or two 2+ hour movies. It was a marathon but it was soooooooo worth it. Simply amazing. Not perfect, unfortunately, but worth just about every one of those 250 minutes! The Battle Of Gettysburg in the American Civil War was a monster fight over the course of three days leaving in its wake approximately 50,000 casualties. Not all of the battle is portrayed here as the movie would need to be 10 hours long! The main focus is on Joshua Chamberlain's hold of Little Round Top on Day 2 and Pickett's Charge on Day 3. Amongst many notable performances, there were tremendous performances by Jeff Daniels as Chamberlain as well as Sam Elliot as Union General John Buford. Unfortunate casting of Martin Sheen as Robert E. Lee and C. Thomas Howell as Chamberlain's brother don't ruin things too much. Lee should have been more of a commanding actor, taller, more in your face so his underlings had no chance to argue against him. But he was on the bad guy's side so I did not feel too badly about that casting choice. The North's fight was the point of view I was interested in. Background of characters is not strong nor is the sentiments of those fighting. Why are they fighting? Chamberlain gives one of many speeches in the film about fighting to free men. One soldier from the South says he's fighting for the the South's rights (which means to own slaves.) Lee's #1 man, General Longstreet, also laments the South should have freed the slaves before starting the war. (He may have meant this for political reasons -- to gain England's support -- though after the war he was also outspoken for equal rights for blacks.) Not much more than that is spoken on the slavery issue as the film primarily wants to show the fight. And that it did. As I said right at the start -- epic. At times I sat stunned in horror at the fighting that took place. I cried at being so thankful so many fought to the last to defend freedom of all men. Now, I know that's not why every man put on the uniform and took up arms, but Colonel Chamberlain's sentiment alone on that had me in tears. Wow. I went to Gettysburg National Military Park as a youngin' and could not understand it's full meaning as I could as an adult. Now I'm ready to go back to observe this hallowed ground. Why did I never see this movie until now? Glad I finally did. It takes preparation to sit through 4 1/2 hours but I will surely do it again one day!

8.9 / 10 stars

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lacks depth and kind of uninteresting
16 October 2014
Pierce Brosnan's third turn as James Bond and again another modern day Bond movie that I am only seeing for the second time and for the first time since seeing it in the theaters! (Unlike Connery & Moore Bond movies which I've seen 3 to 6 or 7 times each!) The story is lacking here. The main villain uninteresting. He had very little depth. Bond Girl Sophie Marceau also. And then there's Denise Richards. Just a terrible casting choice. Additionally where was the Bond Theme? It was not as prevalent as in the previous movie. The score here also subpar. But as we enter the 21st Century, the action scenes seem to get better. I am more and more impressed with Brosnan as 007. He was bent on revenge which took him to a slightly darker place, not as dark as Timothy Dalton's Bond, but up off the cheeky goofyness Roger Moore brought to the character while maintaining the cool Connery exterior. He is really possibly becoming my favorite Bond. Overall not a spectacular unbelievably awesome movie but still worth seeing again!

7.4 / 10 stars

0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Such an endearing film
16 October 2014
A small picture from England that was renamed upon U.S. release as Unfinished Song. An absolutely amazing movie! Almost perfect. Terence Stamp pretty much is perfection. He was nominated for Best Actor at the British Independent Film Awards. Vanessa Redgrave was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. The movie follows a senior citizen and how he deals with his wife's cancer. In England they're called OAPs or Old Age Pensioners. I knew nothing about the movie going into except the title. Soon enough it's clear how predictable it will be but the events that unfolded tore me to pieces. There was crying from sadness but 5 times as much crying from overwhelming joy. Gemma Arterton? Never heard of her (because I haven't seen any recent Craig 007 movies) but now I am in love with her. So pleasant to watch! Christopher Eccleston was great as was the little girl who played his daughter. Everything here works. Almost. Some of the free outdoor concert scene was a little lame and could have been much better but otherwise an all-around outstanding movie. If it doesn't make you cry, you have no soul! I'm probably gonna watch it again in a few days and it will be one of the very few movies that I burn to disc to keep.

9.2 / 10 stars

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chasing Christmas (2005 TV Movie)
A different spin on Dickens' A Christmas Carol
5 October 2014
Finally something different in the Christmas genre. This made-for-TV movie has Dickens' A Christmas Carol getting all shook up to give it bunch of different situations not in the original story. Tom Arnold is excellent in the "Scrooge" role. He, of course, is visited by three ghosts meant to show him how he has every reason to stop being a scrooge. But all does not go as planned and that's what makes this refreshing. Unfortunately a low budget hinders this kinda unique story. Bright green grass with foamy looking snow covering portions of the ground? Just terrible. Throw in more money and a more talented director and you really coulda had something much better here. Still it's refreshing. Even though it was made for the ABC Family Channel, it's not exactly charming nor is it really family-friendly unless the family consists of only adults! It's still PG but does contain adult themes. Barely any Christmas music in it so not very Christmasy. But it kept my interest especially compared to so many repetitive and formulaic takes on the classic tale.

6.4 / 10 stars

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rush fans of the world unite!
5 October 2014
Movies filled with swearing and vulgarity do not humor me as much as they used to. I've discovered Paul Rudd is a brilliant comedic actor but do so many of his movies need to be so juvenile? His character here is a dork and it's painful to watch sometimes. Plus he goes out on "man dates." Really??!!? Are men becoming women? What would John Wayne say about this? It's embarrassing. But still there are great moments of serious laughter in this movie. The Jon Favreau-Jaime Presley relationship was a bit of comedic backbone this needed, as well as the Thomas Lennon character (maybe funnier than Rudd & Segel.) Unfortunately it didn't have enough backbone. And the whole "bromance" thing? Not appealing. I don't understand why this has such a high IMDb rating. Funny yes but also awkward, girlie and stupid. A few elements of this will allow me to consider watching it again someday... but I would only recommend it for Rush or Lieutenant Jim Dangle fans.

6.1 / 10 stars

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Art House Indie does NOT mean it's good
5 October 2014
Mexican film that won the Special Jury Prize at Sundance. A story about lonely, friendless people and their inability to normally interact with each other. I'm not sure how the heck this was nominated for similar awards at a smattering of other festivals. The pace of the story makes it incredibly tedious to watch. The main characters are merely existing in their world of loneliness, wanting more but so uninspired or simply unable to have what might resemble a normal life. Their getting together is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I felt awkward watching -- this type of life, these types of people I am not used to. Are we supposed to feel hopeful for this couple? I'm not sure what we're supposed to be thinking as the credits roll. It was soooo slow to get to the end but I had to see the story through. When done I felt nothing. It wasn't even that entertaining. It was just something I couldn't take my eyes off of.

5.0 / 10 stars

0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite engaging
3 October 2014
Excellent performances, especially Jean Harlow. The Blonde Bombshell she isn't so much here, but more of a regular working gal. Such great talent, such a shame she died just a year and a few months after this came out. Gable is interesting in this straightforward businessman role and not the brash larger than life lead he often is. Jimmy Stewart gets fourth billing because he's not yet the big movie star yet but getting there. The story isn't so much full of comedy or romance, or bitter rivalry, but jealousy and misunderstanding. Don't convict and divorce on circumstantial evidence alone because jealousy might be mixing up all the signals you think you're getting when in fact there's no guilt there whatsoever.

8.0 / 10 stars

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite forgettable
3 October 2014
What might be considered a made-for-TV "Lifetime movie" was actually produced by and shown on NBC originally. But it's definitely the type of movie that would show up on the Lifetime Network.

Beverly D'Angelo stars as a mom who wants justice for her adopted son's death. Based on a true story, it covers all the main points in the saga but blatantly appears quite abridged. Not that it matters. Acting is meh and it's just a straightforward story that's told with no twists or turns or nothing' like that.

Not the worst 85 minutes ever but nothing memorable.

5.0 / 10 stars

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So slow and empty
3 October 2014
From Thailand, this is a bizarre art house film about loneliness and the struggle to survive. Unfortunately it moves at a snail's pace and doesn't really have much to say. Our main character doesn't want to live then doesn't want to stay in his apartment because of the smelly corpses there. His brother's dead and he meets a girl whose sister has just died. They form a relationship in a weekend over nothing incredible happening. Really?! This is supposed to be comedy, in a way, but I fail to see it, perhaps because I'm just an American used to American or British comedy. I dunno. The camera work is at times beautiful but other times I was left scratching my head wondering why if this person knew what he was doing. Audio, too. I don't often have a hard time understanding a film but this is a little perplexing. Maybe, just maybe, I'll watch it again one day to see if I can see it in a different light, a light that sheds some sense on it.

4.6 / 10 stars

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hudson Hawk (1991)
Let this be the last Bruce Willis movie you ever see
2 October 2014
My second time seeing this and first time since it was in the theaters... so it's been awhile and there's barely anything at all that I remembered. I knew it had a reputation for being spectacularly bad and that's exactly what it is. Well, I've seen much, much worse but it's still pretty stupid. I do like Bruce Willis so I wanted to give this a completely fair shake. He actually does a great job with the material he's given but the script is just ridiculous. It looked quite promising for the first five or ten minutes but it goes downhill fast and stays there. Moronic characters appear and the plot takes strange twists. Lame. Just lame. Anyone watching the Bruce Willis catalog should either save this for last in case you die first and never have to see it or watch it first to get the worst out of the way.

5.2 / 10 stars