NutzieFagin

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

The Partridge Family Meet the Jetsons, 10 July 2014

Okay! I can understand---your TV show gets canned so what are your options.....that's right! A CARTOON!! But did they have to follow another classic cartoon like The Jetsons? Because of this The Partridge Family 2200 AD looks like a show just trying to cash it in on a previous success.. The original cast members do the voices except Shirley Jones and David Cassidy who must have recognized a bomb when seen. And for some reason (probably a legal one) Shirley Partridge is now Connie Partridge. Well, they try to spice up the cartoon with all the nifty tricks and mechanisms that the Jetsons have but it simply doesn't work due to the bad animation, story writing--even the laugh track is weak! The songs are made to sound a little more futuristic but bad all the same! Because there are few episodes this may be hard to find in stores.... If you are a hard core fan, you may enjoy it--but otherwise it is just EL Stinko!

The Fog (1980)
Avast! and Shiver Me Timbers!, 1 March 2014

Love to gather round a fire and tell a good ghost to scare the skivvies off the kids? How bout a good Sea Ghost story....with a thick fog bank curling outside to add the creepy setting. Welcome to The Fog!!

Which is what happens---the setting for the trap is done--a sea captain tells a bunch of kids a ghost story about the town they live in--the town's people murdering a bunch a leper sailors who were ship wrecked--and much worse---the town minister steals their gold and fashions a gold cross out of it. Next thing--lights go on and off, cars will start by themselves...Yep! there will definitely be trouble coming! and something....yes...something dangerous is out in the fog...

The success of The Fog is based on it's creepy setting. When the fog bank and chilling wind rolls in, the audience seems to feel it. Adrianne BarBaiou does a incredibly sexy performance as throaty town disc jockey. Jaimie Lee Curtis who is starring with Mom (Janet Leigh) gives good scenes also. The special effects are minimal but are effective---lots of loud noises and window/light breaking. The only bad thing is the script can get campy at times.

So pop the popcorn! The Fog makes a good Halloween treat!

It's War, so it's upsie daisie Maisie!!!, 22 December 2013

Swing Shift Maisie is one of those screwball comedy films made in World War II that cheered people up thru those perilous times.

Maisie Revere, aka Mary Anastasia O'Conner, the stage performer with a heart of gold is at it again! This time, after a dog act literally breaks up and she is down on her luck, she is taken under the wing of Breezy Maclaughlin (James Craig) an aviator who slightly resembles Clark Gable and struck by Maisie's pretty "Snub nose" face He gets her a job in the aviation plant as a Riviterand room at Ma's Rooming House. Breezy, of course is a gentleman but it is very soon that he and Maisie become attracted to another. After a quick friendship, romance blooms between the duo until a sweet face, but devious girl named Iris comes into the frame. Iris seems to be a girl badly in need of a friend and Maisie could never, ever not lend a helping hand. But after she saves Iris from a "suicide", it becomes clear that Iris is becoming involved with Breezy more and more. Maisie begrudgingly accepts defeat and gives up Breezy because she is a true and blue friend to Iris. But is Iris a loyal comrade also? And does she have other designs on her mind?

Movie viewers will get a kick out of the witty, snappy dialog and plot intrigue. They may also get a glimpse of women and the wartime and the problems that they may have faced. Working the swing shift at the plant, keeping yourself occupied while your soldier was away in battle. I have a feeling this film was more or less to cheer up the people during the horrors of war like a USO show.

So pop the popcorn and go back into the wartime world with Maisie. It is a cute film with a happy ending

How do you solve a problem like The Sound of Music!, 6 December 2013

The promos blared it everyday! The Sound of Music done LIVE!!! Sheesh! You think that they discovered uranium! Needles to say, this was the most heavily touted program on TV. Was it worth the Ballyhoo?

Weelllll....yes and no. This was a production that was in heavy competition with the film starring Broadway's royalty, starring Julie Andrews. Carrie Underwood who took the role of Maria can belt out any tune-Pop, Country and Broadway. But as a actress, I think she needs a wee bit of polish---not that it was bad, but she seemed a little wooden or nervous. But her stiffness may have given her character a little bit of youngish shy charm. Ms. Underwood may also look like a blond Germanic woman but her mannerisms and voice were more like American. I don't know how to describe it, but Julie Andrews is better at European roles ---possible because she was born in Europe.

One other difference performing the musical in a studio is that wide open spaces are hard to find. They did make creative and good use of setting, however it lacked the luster of the location shots from the movie. Also, for dancing scenes it is very hard to choreograph

The rest of the cast performed well--The Von Trappe children sang beautifully but I considered Gaylord Von Trappe (the father) a little youngish looking not like the older Christopher Plummer. And yes. I did see one minor player flub his lines (of course, we were really looking for that) Audra MacDonald, who played the Head Abbes gave a beautiful performance singing the most difficult song "Climb Every Mountain" And I know I will be criticized as racist---but there was no African American nuns found in Austeria----casting for just political correctness.

But all in all, The Sound of Music does not measure up to their predecessor but still enjoyable to watch---and I'll sing once more....

It's HAMMER TIME with the Dr. J.!, 18 October 2013

Hammer Studios were probably the king of producers for Gothic horror flicks. Well known for their creepy sets that produced movies starring monsters from classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman & Mummy) the studio churned out these movies every year usually with success. So why not a movie starring the famous mad scientist, Dr. Henry Jeckell from the Robert Louis Steveson classic story?

However, like most Hammer films, they like to put on their own little spin to make the story a little less redundant. In The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll, the character is regarded as a quiet nebbish type scientist who speaks in a soft voice. He is also already married--to a beautiful redhead wife, who unfortunately is only concerned about her selfish whims and presently carrying on an affair with his friend. The friend, Paul Allen--played by the immortal Hammer studio star, Christopher Lee is a scoundrel who gambles away his money, and like Henry Jekyll's cheating spouse--only concerned for his own pleasures. So of course, this leads to poor Dr. J's disastrous experiment, which he transforms into a handsome but the cruel evil rake, Mr Hyde. Like Clark Kent in Superman, no one usually recognizes or connects the two men together. But the evil Mr Hyde takes the tortured Dr Jekyll to London's pleasure houses and commits various cruel tricks on people. Mr Hyde also makes Dr. Jekell confront that his wife is a no good cheating woman. But as you may guess, Dr. Jekyll loses control of his alter ego, and that's when the serum literally hits the fan.

This movie is well acted but it seems to lend sympathy to the character of Dr. Jekell. He seems to be so tortured by his wife infidelity but lacks the strength of character to confront the problem. But again, we have to agree as mad scientists go---it really is his own fault that these tragedies happen.

Not a bad flick, if you like the Hammer Film genre--I'd say it's a good bet for a late night popcorn viewing

A Trailer Comic Romp, 16 October 2013

If you love I Love Lucy, The Long Long Trailer will be a delight for you.

I don't know why but Lucy and Desi were one of the best paired married (in real life) male/female comedy teams. In The Long Long Trailer, they basically play the same Lucy/Ricky role. The only differences present are the slight character name changes (Tacy/Nicky Collini) Nicky is still the same macho Latin but Tacy is more neurotic. Tacy like to collect sentimental mementos ----like rocks and homemade jams and souvenirs from the places she and Nicky visited. Kind of showing some bad hoarding mental issues BUT it's because of her romantic heart and to retain those special memories with Nicky is the reason why she does it.

Anyway--when Tacy and Nicky marry, they come up with the bright idea of getting a trailer.....Nicky favors the saving money---Tacy likes the romantic idea of a cozy love nest on wheels...more places and more mementos to pick up as they tour the U.S. Hilorious scenes come from this idea which I'm sure that EVERY trailer owner has encountered. Getting lost, narrow mountain roads, high rental camp ground rates and yes....trying to cook that perfect romantic dinner in the trailer while the husband drives those bumpy roads (I think it is in some states against the law to ride alone in trailers) but what the hey---IT'S FUN TO WATCH!! Of course, the plot is not really there but these sight gags are just there to show the humorous side of situations in a marriage. The good and the bad side of marriage---will it work? But Love conquers all in the movies!---So if your looking for a Lucy/Desi film that is away from the I Love Lucy apartment---no Mertz's in this one....see it and enjoy!

When Cartoons were COOL!!, 14 October 2013

One thing I LOVED when I was a kid was Dinosaurs! Second thing was on Saturday Morning, every kid I knew would be salivating over the Saturday Morning Cartoon Previews-giving all the kiddies a taste of what to see. Then they brought out Valley of the Dinosaurs---Life was Good again! Many may see this cartoon as mindless, but it was sprinkled with educating facts about dinosaurs (what do brontosaurs's eat? etc...) some scientific know how on tips of survival, cool action scenes and dinos! Based on a Jules Verne adventure story, a modern family is propelled to a land that time forgot. Befriended by a caveman family, both learn from each other and survive together.

I sometimes feel that today's kids missed out on some fun programming. Valley of The Dinosaurs had a lot of adventure, but it was FUN and ENTERTAINING! The animation was pretty good too---I feel sadness that the Glory Days of Hanna Barbara will never be back

Sweet Coming of Age Film in New York, 11 October 2013

The World of Henry Orient is a film about growing up and the pain of that first celebrity crush.....Come on! Admit it! All of us has had that love affair with a celebrity and the pain of finding out our illusions or gods had feet of clay.

Set in the majestic scenes of New York City in the early Sixties, we meet the two central characters, Marion Gilbert, a somewhat curious girl, eager and adventurous and Val Boyd, a lonely but boisterous in need of a friend because of her parent marriage is falling apart at home. The girls become fast friends and Val confides that she is in love with a pianist named Henry Orient played by the talented Peter Sellers. Even though the film is named after Henry Orient we don't see too much of the character in a lot of scenes. Henry Orient is really a shallow, untalented pianist who is more interested in womanizing than perfecting his art. Will Val discover her dreams of love are just youthful dreams or will fate deal her a unkind hand to shatter her fantasies?

The World of Henry Orient is one of those films that I encourage the young to see. It is a story of innocent youth maturing in a quiet sweet way. Perfect for that tween age between childhood and adult when a girl copes with the feeling of "falling in love". It is also a film where most adults look back at some fond memories The scenes of New York are visually beautiful and compelling---very much "New Yorkish" with it's scenes of Central Park and row townhouses. So if you are looking for one of those sweet silent comedy films---this would be the one!

Shameful Film devoted to "Mr Showmanship", 7 June 2013

I was somewhat disappointed to the HBO showcase film "Behind the Candelabra" The film was based on a book written by Scot Thorson, the late Liberace's ex lover. That's about all I can say about the truth of it.

What is shameful is the depictions of both Scot Thorson and Liberace. Scot Thorson who is adequately portrayed by Matt Damon is shown as some innocent wide eyed young man who is smitten with the glitz and glamor of Liberace, his life and house and estates. He seems to act how he has no idea that Liberace is sexually attracted to him. When he discover Liberace has some feelings for him, he does anything for him no matter how ridiculous or bizarre it is. He even enters like a blind puppy into the world of drug addiction with no caution or qualms.

As for Michael Douglas's portrayal of Mr Showmanship-he is playing more of a horny drag queen than a seasoned performer. Liberace is shown more as a lecherous manipulative man who sends out someone to pimp new boyfriends. After he gains their friendship and trust, he then proceeds to control every aspect of their lives giving them free plastic surgery (to look like him) and "adopting" them into his family. After he is bored or tires of them, he throws them out like an old rag. Does the deceased talented Liberace deserve this?

The best thing of the film is that it does showcase Liberace's remarkable talent. I've personally never been to his shows but I heard that they were very entertaining with a lot of glitz,glitz,glitz--pure Vegas acts which seem to be losing their art today. What is even more interesting about Liberace's life is how he lived like a king! Gorgeous furnishings and yes...he did have a problem with his dogs (babies) pooping on the Turkish rugs. But Wow! he was the king of Vegas Outrageous!

But lastly, please remember the film painted Thorson's character as more of an unwitting victim. Scott Thorson was arrested for burglary,credit card fraud and he knew a LOT of Gang and underworld characters so I ain't buying the victim story entirely and Liberace is not alive to dispute anything of course. I know Liberace was a VERY private person about his life and sexual preferences but I often wonder how hiscfamily feels about this "chicken hawk" character they gave Liberace.

Also, as for parental guidance rating---please remember there are a LOT of explicit sex scenes....I don't care if they are homosexual or not, just not the right type of picture for the very young to see.

It's time to KMG365 with Station 51 Again!, 27 April 2013

People may bash the seventies, but I grew up in that decade and it wasn't so bad. The young ones today will find out one of the best things out there is Retro TV and one of the best shows from the seventies was Emergency! One of the things about Emergency was that it was rarely boring to watch. Each show was comprised of usually one plot with many sub plots (or the situation and accidents fireman and paramedics encounter on the job) And BOY! did they think of some doozies! Besides your run of the mill car accidents, heart patients and slips and falls, you may get kids trapped in tree trunks--hang gliders banging into cliffs--or lovely naked women getting their big toe stuck into a bath facet. Whatever the situation, call the boys at Station 51 they can handle EVERY job!.

Of course for the show, you will need the medical hospital staff as back up to help after your victim has been rescued. The staff at the Emergency (Rampart hospital) is basically professional and the most expert I've ever seen since Marcus Welby. They also seem to work 24 hrs a day because I've never seen any other personnel working. The "staff" consists of the ever caring "Dixie McCall" (Julie London) the concerned "Kelly Bracket" and "Joe Early" played by the Bobby Troupe. Boy I wish I had these guys as my personal doctors--I'd would probably live a good long life! And those lovable guys at the firehouse Station 51 ain't bad neither. Each member at Station 51 may have their troubles but all of them support each other. Mike Stoker (I figured he was a real firefighter because driving the truck IS NOT easy) Marco who gives that Latino ethnic quality, Chet Kelly--who seems to act like the Firehouse Mum because he is always concerned about the health and welfare of his comrades, and Capt'n Stanley whose job it is to keep this motley crew in line.

Of course, lastly there are the two stars of the series, Randolph Mantoot( John Gage) who probably had to fight off the female fans with a fire hose and Kevin Tighe(Roy Desoto)with his expert medical knowledge on the job. I did remember hearing that some viewers who saw how Gage and Desoto worked on the job (CPR etc) actually saved lives from watching the show. These two seem to have great chemistry between each other as co-stars---whatever their magic is, it seems to work with the viewers.

So Hail Retro TV!! Watch the show and fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride from the firehouse.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]