jonpak

Intriguing and Ambiguous Pairs., 27 April 2014

*This review contains spoilers for this episode*

Game of Thrones continues an excellent season with many interesting pairings and matches in this episode. A talk on a ship, a walk in a park and much is revealed about the plotting behind the scenes reminding us what a deadly viper pit King's Landing is!

Jaime and Bronn, Jaime and Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei, Jaime and Brienne. All these scenes were excellent and did not tip the hat either this way or that for Jaime. GoT excels at this ambiguity/uncertainty more than many lesser shows - this character has done many bad things: trying to kill a kid, bashing his relative's head in with a rock to make an escape, forcing himself on his sister - but also many good things. While there was much outcry last week that he was now an unredeemable rapist, the truth is a little blurrier - as always intended, each viewer will have to balance his good deeds and bad deeds and decide for themselves - no trite generalities allowed.

Another such ambiguity introduced in this episode is the appearance of Locke at the wall - we know Bolton sent him yet he seems genuinely impressed with Jon Snow (who btw this season has jumped into awesome gear!) - so when Locke volunteers we wonder if he does it to carry out nefarious deeds or does he do it because he admires Snow?

This is what makes GoT stand out - the characters evolve and little is black and white - much is uncertain. Margery's bedside talk with Tommen also stood out in this way - it was both sweet and a little bit creepy due to the age difference at the same time. Regardless it let us see aspects of both the characters and I have to say I really like Tommen so far - another young casting coup for GoT I predict!

I love the pairing of Brienne and Podrick - hope we see some of their adventures! Bran's story also got a whole lot more interesting suddenly and the glimpse of life in the mutineer camp was also revealing with their leader fleshed out in this episode.

Finally the end scene was breathtaking and intriguing, leaving you wanting to see more of the whitewalker's realm. Congratulations GoT, you've got at least 10 scenes I am aching to see the followup to!

The Lion and the Rose., 15 April 2014

*This review contains spoilers for this episode* The first half of this episode served as the usual catchup with characters that is typical early in most seasons of this excellent series. However the last half broke with this tradition quite spectacularly! The royal wedding of Joffrey Baratheon and Margery Tyrell was a feast for the senses. The costume and props department should at least be nominated for an Emmy for this episode. The wedding was superbly directed by Alex Graves and the tension mounted with every scene with excellent acting all around.

The final scenes were shocking (as a show watcher who hasn't read the book), gruesome, awesome and sad at the same time. A horrible person gets their just desserts but a young kid dies scared in the arms of his mother. Jack Gleeson brings out both aspects of this scene as only the most talented actors can - it is really too bad that he plans to retire from acting after this.

In the end, I am surprised to find myself more than a bit sad to part ways with one of TV's best villains - the mad boy king, from G.R.R.M. to the world - we got to hate and love your madness for a good 4 years. A toast to you Joffrey Baratheon, one of the few characters on any screen, be they hero or villain who actually made us feel and react. You will be missed you little s**t! :)

An episode of contrasts., 13 July 2013

One of the quieter more contemplative episodes in this outstanding season, episode 6 might not have brought your jaw to the floor as many of the other episodes this season but it had a quiet grace. The perfectly titled "The Climb" provided much to think about. Contrasting themes of order and chaos, cynicism and optimism. The final 10 minutes provide perhaps one of the most beautifully shot contrasts of worldview ever done. A contrast between a cynical view of life and an optimistic one, Littlefinger's monologue strikes the viewer in its overall harshness and unfortunate plausibility - that mostly people delude themselves in life, spoken over such convincing supporting visuals as only game of thrones can provide. This scene is immediately followed by a final scene which contrasts this viewpoint that is so beautiful and touching that the viewer feels nearly uneasy. In any other show the final scene could have become meaningless sweetness but in game of thrones it resonates, because we realize that true happiness is rare and fleeting, but we hope that it lasts, we hope Littlefinger is wrong, though we realize, especially in the world of Westeros, he is most probably right.

Nothing else really compares., 7 September 2012

As a fan of the series, loving both season 1 and 2 so far, I've recently rewatched season 1 and was struck at how epic this series really is. There are many good shows out there but for most shows, even the good ones, most scenes fade away with time. There is something different about "Game of Thrones" - akin to "Star Wars" in my estimation in the sense that there are characters and scenes that etch into one's consciousness (and from reading posts, I don't think I am the only one with this view). The final scene of season 1 is one of the best that I have ever seen on any screen - beautiful, powerful and transformative. Game of Thrones is marked with these moments of complete transformation - when you know the characters are forever changed and nothing will ever be the same.

300 (2006)
Visual Masterpiece - Adrenaline charged - Inspiring., 8 April 2007

First off, I loved the movie - I thought it was a breath of fresh air - a visual adrenaline packed masterpiece. I have always enjoyed ancient history and the Battle of Thermopylae is one of military histories great stories. Please feel free to read about it before you actually go off on political tirades. I admire ancient Greece - people began to be judged or chosen for power due to their capabilities and actions and not their divinity or birthright, a step in the right direction for man.

This movie, keeping with many ancient forms of storytelling tells this story with operatic fantasy (yes, we know no sons of Perseus (Persians), have blades for arms! Btw comparing the Persians of that day to current day Iranians is misleading, that empire is gone and Islamic culture did not come into being till post 600AD), with fantasy and glory woven in - the result is larger and BETTER than real life could ever be. It is a heroic tale, one of sacrifice, Gerard Butler for all the operatic staging, captures the essence, the nobility, the inspiration of what a great man is perfectly.

However since not everyone is ready to put aside cinematic prejudices, to forgive Hollywood for making movies that the masses might enjoy in general - the analog of someone playing cricket scoffing at the rugby team nearby and thumbing their noses - I guess I will try to make a guess as to who should or should not see the movie.

Definitely SEE IT: Love comic books, sci-fi, fantasy, operatic or mythic tales. If visuals, style and cinematography can count quite a bit in your book - see this for sure - I don't say wow lightly and this movie was WOW WOW WOW in that book! If a strong steadfast character, with 6-pack abs running around in a codpiece and actually pulling it off is a selling point to you - by all means see it you won't be disappointed.

SEE IT: If you want to see a movie with some adrenaline and that celebrates the unabashedly masculine in spirit. If you like sports, war movies, strong steadfast men (of both orientations) doing noble things then you will probably really enjoy it. See it if you are inspired by the real history of Thermopylae and DON'T MIND the embellishments. (Btw. the capital Lambda on the shields is a symbol of brotherhood in the face of adversity and has been adopted by many movements and fraternities, often in both uppercase or lowercase.)

Don't SEE IT: If your only definition of movie is one where old ladies express regrets or which are about how horrible this world is. Don't see it if you are so politically sensitive that any suggestion that people might have to step up sometimes is likened to Bush's misguided Iraq war (Contrast a general war on terrorism versus an opportunistic war. For example take WWII - and ask is the call to stand up to atrocity or tyranny is so bad?

Finally let me give you a quote attributed to the real Leonidas so that you may judge if Gerard Butler might have captured the essence of the man: When leaving Sparta for Theromopylae it is written in "phrases of Spartan men and women" that Queen Gorgo asked Leonidas "what should I do?" to which he replied "Marry a good man, and have good children."

Though this was not used in the movie, I think Butler nailed this essence. (Many of the main phrases the movie uses are straight out of Herodotus' accounts btw so please do take the time to glance at them before dismissing them as corny Hollywoodisms. Even Wikipidea will suffice. :))