Reviews

3 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
One of the best character films of all time
21 December 2005
I rarely watch a film twice. I watched this film twice back-to-back. Every character in this film is engaging and well-acted. The plot is simple. A little fellow works in a model train store with his best friend. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that the inclusion of a dwarf in the plot is a gimmick to tug at your emotions. This story could very well have been done without a little person, and would have been just as good. Anyway, the main character inherits a defunct train depot in a small town. The idea of being in a place where there is no one to bother him appeals to the main character, and he leaves the big city. Of course, being a new guy in a small town, everyone notices him and everyone is 'all up in his business'. If you are from a big city, you will identify with his consternation at moving to a place where he could never be anonymous. If you are from a small town, you will immediately identify with the town where people are interested in the new guy, not because he is different, but simply because he is new. The performances in this film are perfect. Station Agent is one of my top ten films all-time.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nosferatu (1922)
First DVD that I bought - The source for all subsequent horror films.
21 December 2005
I am not a huge silent film fan, but when I purchased a DVD player, this was one of the first (if not the first) DVDs that I purchased. I do not usually watch movies more than once, and I only own a few. However, this version of Dracula is the progenitor of all things Dracula. I watched this film with a friend in college, and was immediately drawn in. Since then, every film take on the Dracula story that I see is ruined. I have yet to see another version that can do anything beyond poor imitation of this original. Loved it. The final sequence is utterly fabulous. I really think that Max Schreck was a vampire. He was that good.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful
21 December 2005
I should preface my remarks by stating that I am not a devout Christian, nor a Catholic, nor a film scholar. Yet, I loved this movie. "The Passion of Joan of Arc" is one of the most visually arresting feature films ever made. As I understand it, the film follows the transcripts of the trial of Joan of Arc. It is fascinating to watch the angst and anguish of this young woman. You really feel the strength of spirit that Joan had. As this young woman faces down the church and political leaders of her country without wavering from her convictions one cannot help but be moved and struck by the power of her devotion. The cinematography alone makes this film worthwhile.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this