chank46

Frances Langford is the Show!, 6 November 2011

To all of the 'experts' on cross dressing, and all of those giggling for a hint of 'gayness' in a seventy year old movie. I realize that being gay is the in thing today. Everybody wants to be gay. Even gay people want to be 'gay-er.' But it wasn't always that way, children. Seventy years ago, a beautiful blond woman stepped up to a microphone and created MAGIC. This movie features Frances Langford who from her first entrance in a movie, raises the quality of any film she is in. If she doesn't make your pulse race, then you don't have one. Must I state the obvious, that this film was made in 1941 for 1941 audiences. 'Some Like it Hot' and 'Tootsie' would come along years later. Lets just watch the 1940's movies for what they are...Sheer Entertainment. No political messages, no social conscience. 'All American Co-Ed' is a fun romp of silliness, spiced with the grand personality and sultry sound of the G.I. heart throb herself, Frances Langford. 'Out of the Silence' is a wonderful song sung so meltingly by Langford. It deserved an Academy Award nomination. It should have won. Is it too late for a recount?

Frances Langford Sparkles!, 3 February 2010

This is a terrific little movie! Suspense, intrigue, murder, romance and the great beauty and charm of Frances Langford. Frances sings a great little number 'There goes my Romance'. A great little tune which deserves to be heard. She also does an upbeat tune 'Got Love'. Kent Taylor provides the romantic interest and the ever polished, suave Taylor (He was Boston Blackie on early TV) gets the same glazed over look that all of Frances leading men do when they look at her. They all look like they are really in love with her and who could blame them? She looks absolutely adorable in this movie! The print that I saw was a little faded, a little grainy but watchable. It would be wonderful to have this movie restored like Warner Brothers did with the Bamboo Blond. Good supporting cast including the omnipresent John Litel in an interesting role. But the movie belongs to Frances Langford. She really lights up the screen!

Just OK, 30 January 2010

This is an OK film. I prefer the 1937 version. Its a lot tighter, more heart wrenching. By 1954 Judy Garland starts to get on your nerves doing a Canbelto vocal performance. She's alright I suppose but she's no Frances Langford. The rest of the cast is hardworking, professional, but there is something about this film that just seems a little out of sync. Maybe its because of all the cuts, retakes, backstage bickering and tantrums. James Mason gives a terrific performance, being, what, the fourth actor that was considered for the part? He is especially effective in the beginning in the drunk scene. Very powerful. Amanda Blake, Charles Bickford, Jack Carson and Tommy Noonan round out the cast. The musical numbers are well conceived, the choreography pretty well thought out. But somehow when you put it all together, stir and serve. It seems a little flat. Perhaps a clash of too many star egos? Perhaps I've seen Janet Gaynor and Fredric March too often as they ignite the screen with their star power. A truly great film with more than just flashes of brilliance

Worst piece of garbage...EVER!, 17 April 2009

This movie is an absolute Bore! The story is boring, the characters are boring, the scenery is boring, the music is boring, the credits are boring, etc. etc. What did they try to do, set a record for how many times they could drop the F bomb? Is that supposed to shock? offend? It does neither. We've all heard the f bomb so many times it has no effect anymore. It's so 90's. All it does is expose the writers lack of a vocabulary. And Seth Rogen? an actor? He seems like someone they picked off the street, gave him the script and had him do it at that moment. Anna Faris, impressive in some other films, but who was her make up person? She looked like she just walked in from the Bride of Frankenstein. Frightening. And the middle aged flasher? Was he supposed to scare those women? They looked like they were ready to double up with laughter. And the pacing of this movie. There is no pacing, it just limps on and on and on... The one bright spot is that it does end, eventually. Hey Seth, I wouldn't waste my time on that Oscar acceptance speech. By all means...miss this movie

An Absolute Delight!, 8 March 2009

PRC...I love the way that logo looks on screen. A group of people without a lot of money putting out movies. It wasn't MGM, it didn't try to be. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't. This one works. This is really a showcase for the remarkable talents of Miss Frances Langford. Beautiful to look at, delightful to hear. Forgettable songs? Nothing that Frances Langford sang is forgettable. Oh how I wish she had gotten that big movie that she had hoped for! A lavish MGM musical! Sadly, that never happened. In the hands, or should I say the vocal cords, of Frances Langford these songs are most memorable. One of them was written by Morey Amsterdam, brilliant comedian and mainstay of the Dick Van Dyke show. The plot concerns Joan Terry (Frances Langford) sweet country girl in the big city trying to break into show business and torn between pursuing her dream or returning home to marry her boyfriend. I'll not go any further with the plot, I'm sure you can guess the outcome. What is so wonderful about this movie, aside from the gorgeous singing of Frances, is the tight ensemble. The way the cast interacts with each other raising a rather ordinary story into a comedy/drama you can really get into. OK, the big dance number at the end is not always in sync but who cares when you have Frances Langford to see and listen to. Iris Adrian is her delightful, cynical self sticking her nose into everything. Edward Norris, a sophisticated if naive friend/suitor of Joan Terry. Craig Woods a stuffed shirt of a boyfriend from back home. Excellent cameos by Charles Judels and Charles Williams as eccentric Broadway producers. Ariel Heath as the star struck stage struck aspiring actress and others too numerous to mention. Career Girl is what it is...a delightful 1940's musical that entertains. I guarantee that the voice and beauty of Frances Langford will remain with you after seeing this film and that you will return to see it over and over again.

Hot Cars (1956)
Excellent late film-noir, 18 December 2008

I seem to have a soft spot in my heart or head for B movies of the 30's thru the 50's. I like their fast pacing, attention to the story line, the actors who for the most part are virtually unknown. Hot Cars, if it is known at all today lives on because of the lobby cards featuring the beautiful, and, talented Joi Lansing. This is a really good movie though with great performances by John Bromfield and Joi Lansing. Of course wherever Joi is there is delightful eye candy but make no mistake about it, Joi was a very good actress. This movie gives her a bigger role than just walking across the back drop. It's a real shame she didn't get better roles. John Bromfield is an ideal actor for the role of Nick Dunn who is caught in the middle of the hot car scam. The supporting cast works along with these two stars to form a cohesive ensemble. Something you don't always get in the "Bigger" movies. OK, it's not a lavish movie with a big budget and razzle dazzle special effects. Just a gripping story told in a late film-noirish manner. The actors make you care about what is happening on screen in a most convincing manner. This is a real gem! See it if you can. It needs to be released on DVD.

Collegiate (1936)
Frances Langford saves the day!, 14 December 2008

This is a regrettably forgettable movie, for the most part. Joe Penner was very popular in the 30's but his type of humor doesn't translate well into our era. I imagine audiences back then were rolling in the aisles with laughter at his antics. Today, we merely roll our eyes and wait for the scene to change. Sorry Joe! What is very interesting is the appearance of the famous song writing duo of Mack Gordon and Harry Revel. They weren't as good actors as they were song writers but they weren't bad either. Jack Oakie is a plus, adding his considerable talent and his timing is excellent. What makes this movie memorable and collectible worthy and worth 6 stars, is the wonderful, delightful songbird, Frances Langford. Frances creates a wonderful character here, shy, vulnerable but with a real determination. Several years before her "makeover" Frances is cute, sweet and oh that voice! She is irresistible as always. "You Hit the Spot" may not be a great song but in the throat of Frances Langford it is pure gold. Mack Gordon and Harry Revel also wrote "Will I Ever Know" the song that inspired me to write my fantasy time-travel romance novel about Frances Langford. The words 'the moment that I see him I will know him, no matter how impossible it seems. I know just what he'll do, I know just what he'll say. We have met before in dreams." Those words inspired, in my book, Frances and my fictional character, Chad Henson to find each other through the corridors of time. Powerful words indeed. Thank you guys! See this movie if you can. It's worth sitting through all of its warts to experience the greatness of Frances Langford.

1940's "B" Musical gets an A+ Rating!, 26 November 2008

Ho-Hum, another "B" musical from the 1940's. Right away you just know it's silly and stupid. What a waste of good film! Unfortunately a lot of people are ready to apply these tags upon seeing the title and the year. I feel sorry for people like that because they are missing out on some wonderful films with very talented actors and actresses.

Hit Parade of 1941 stars the beautiful and utterly charming Frances Langford and the smooth voiced Kenny Baker as the girl and boy who find love. Film veterans Hugh Herbert, Mary Boland, Phil Silvers, Patsy Kelly, Donald MacBride, Sterling Holloway and Ann Miller in her first film add their support and strength to make this a real ensemble piece. The pacing of this movie is superb, it moves right along from one situation to another. The score and the song, the beautiful "Who Am I" were nominated for Academy Awards. They should have won! Is it too late to demand a recount? Frances Langford sings "Who Am I" first as a lovely duet with Kenny Baker, and then Frances does it as a solo in that wonderful dreamy voice of hers. Words cannot describe the honeyed voice of this gorgeous woman. By all means see this movie if you can, and make sure it's not the edited version. You don't want to miss a second of this charming movie. Of course it's all a matter of opinion, if you don't like 40's music and musicals you won't like this one...or will you?

Another Triumph for Frances Langford!, 6 November 2008

Here we have another gem of a wartime musical comedy! Stars Frances Langford and Ken Murray keep the zaniness going in a case of mistaken identity. Frances plays twins, Evelyn and Pat Loring. Both are radio singers. Evelyn is billed as the "Lovely Lady of Song" and is very successful. However she is expecting a visit from the stork and has to leave her program. Not wanting her boss to know and lose her job, she gets her twin sister Pat to fill in for her. Meawhile her army husband can't come home for the delivery but gets his pal Jerry (Ken Murray)to look out for her as he is being released from the army. Jerry goes to meet Evelyn but instead meets Pat and is shocked that she is going out dancing, horseback riding and romancing a guy from the radio station. Frances Langford lights up the screen with her wonderful smile and treating us to tremendous renditions of 'Melancholy Baby', 'Got Love' and 'I'm Gonna Swing my Way up to Heaven' Ken Murray proves a wonderful scapegoat for all of this misunderstanding. Don Wilson, Jack Benny's announcer is a real presence in a rare romantic role. The rest of the supporting cast featuring Iris Adrian, Hanley Stafford, Thurston Hall, Susan Miller,Skinnay Ennis and Elvia Allman are superb! The direction and pacing of this movie is first rate. Not a dull or wasted minute. But when all is said and done, it's Frances Langford that stands out from all the rest with her combination of beauty, charm, vocal technique that make this movie work so well. Her timing and interaction with the other members of the cast is tremendous. I can never figure out why she was never considered to be a good actress. Her comedy is hilarious and she can deliver a serious line with the best of them. By all means see this movie!...If you can...It is a rarity and needs to be released on commercial DVD...asap!

The Wonderful Francis Langford!, 1 October 2006

This movie is a treat for Francis Langford fans. Looking spectacular, sounding divine, this is a charmingly beautiful little movie. It is fast paced and right to the point. Thats what I love about the movies from the 30's and the 40's. Excellent pacing, whether due to the expertise of the film makers or budget constraints, the films move right along. Philip Terry is a perfect choice for the love interest. Handsome, debonair, and Ralph Edwards is superb as the scheming lawyer. Grady Sutton in a cameo role is his usual bumbling self. Throw in Gene Krupa and his band and you've got an hour of happiness! But its Frances Langford that is the STAR here. Charming, vulnerable, and so gorgeous. No wonder she stole the hearts of GI's and civilians during and after WWII. Highest recommendation!