LedZep712

Flashback Time!, 5 January 2008

The Way Was

Now, as Simpsons episodes go, this episode has dated somewhat being set in 1974 (in fact, presently given Homer's age as 39 and Marge's as 34, Homer would've only been a small child and Marge may not even have been born.) but in other respects, the episode as well as the series strangely lasts the course of time.

The episode seems to capture a real air of the early-seventies with Homer's character being particularly endearing with both a young sense of mischief and his familiar older personality moulded together. Jon Lovitz also makes his first guest appearance on the series as Artie Ziff. Probably not Lovitz' best performance on the show, but it's not too bad either.

Overall, it represents the Simpsons at it's best. A good, whole-some storyline with a healthy and eclectic sense of humour.

Keep On Dancin', 29 November 2007

Dancin' Homer.

My opening confession. I don't much care for sports and have little knowledge of most of them. That includes baseball. So some of the jokes did fly waaaaaaaaaaaaay over my head, but for the most part I did find the episode very amusing and entertaining, particularly for taking The Simpsons view of taking typical TV plots (shows have had characters getting involved with a sports team.) it refrains from the major teams and to the more realistic, obscure small town teams. (Except for Capitol City which comes later in the episode)

The show at the time in it's infancy (hard at times to believe that the show was once fairly new.) and it suffers from a major character being moved into the background. Specifically the only time the Capitol City Goofball has had a vocal appearance (guest star Tom Poston) but I think Homer's capering as Dancin' Homer is very heart-warming as well as funny.

The episode ends on quite a sombre note (despite the reassurance that he told a great story, Homer spends much of his time in Moe's quite down-beat) but it's a fun feel-good ride for the most part.

Simpsons Satire, 29 November 2007

Two Cars In Every Car and Three Eyes On Every Fish

Two Cars is probably the most political episode The Simpsons had done at this point as well as being one of the biggest parodies of a single piece of work (Orson Welles' Citizen Kane) that was done to this point as well. The basic premise being Homer helping Burns to become governor, much to the chagrin of Marge, a supporter of long-standing governor Mary Bailey.

I don't usually like the use of politics in popular culture. It often seems to be too heavy a subject to deal with in a sit-com. But I salute the show for trying, and largely succeeding in making the episode a good one. Probably not the finest episode in season 2 but it stands up.

Mary Bailey hasn't appeared much in later episodes (to my knowledge, she's only appeared one other time, literally years away at this point.) Though I suppose they had the political character in Mayor Quimby. Ultimately though it's could be addressed as political, and maybe even somewhat biased to one political viewpoint (the show has been known to have quite a liberal slant, though major writer John Swartzwelder is conservative.) but it's not too heavy and above the heads of the non-political Simpsons viewer.

First And Best Treehouse Of Horror, 27 November 2007

Treehouse Of Horror

I'm going to make a change to my usual review style and write a separate review for all of the segments individually.

Bad Dream House: Now, this is probably gonna sound really wimpy, but this is probably the only segment in the history of the Halloween episodes to kind of freak me out. Now it's not so much that it terrifies me, but it gives me the creeps. The strange dream-like quality to it (particularly the house itself) disturbs me slightly. But there's also some genuinely funny bits as well and to me that mixture of typical Simpsons humour mixed with a somewhat genuinely scary element is to me, what should have featured in other future segments.

Hungry Are The Damned: A good segment. Probably not as good as Bad Dream House but in probably any other special, it would really stand out. Of course it features the debut of Kang and Kodos. Not really horror, more sci-fi except for the cannibalism (even if, it wasn't really cannibalism.) Kang and Kodos aren't as wacky as they would be later, but even though they lack their usual humour they're still good characters...shame there wasn't more Serak The Preparer in further years.

The Raven: Probably the most literate stance the show has taken, it's brilliantly performed with James Earl Jones as the narrator (a great actor in himself, of course.) a little too light-hearted with it's Loony Toons style than I would've wanted, but it still gives the piece great character.

Overall, three beautiful segments make one beautiful episode and of my all-time favourites.

Another Strong Episode, 27 November 2007

Simpson And Delilah One of the best early Homer episodes, Simpson And Delilah demonstrates a quite often used plot device in the show. Homer does something, becomes successful at work, becomes friendly with Mr. Burns and then loses his popularity. But as tried as it is, it's displayed better here than it is perhaps anywhere else in the series.

Homer's assistant, Karl (played by guest star Harvey Firestein) is a fairly interesting character who's somewhat subtle with his homosexuality when compared to later gay characters (despite of course when he kisses Homer.)Smithers, is perhaps more vindictive in this episode than in any of his other appearances (except for some of Homer The Smithers) and it's a fairly bad side to his character as h's often the more compassionate between him and Burns.

It's an episode that makes a certain amount of hints rather than spelling everything out, particularly the somewhat satirical view of good appearance = happiness. Ultimately, it's very heart-warming, often funny and very well done.

An Improvememnt On Season 1, 27 November 2007

Bart Gets An F

Season 2 is in several ways superior to season 1 in my view. Animation-wise it's far more detailed, the voices are stronger (though still not their distinctive selves in later seasons) and the writing is stronger. Bart Gets An F is also stronger than most of the 1st season episodes.

It's setup is similar to earlier episodes, focus on Bart is still strong and certain characters that were ignored much in later years are used strongly (for example, Martin.) The episode does seem quite formulaic in structure (though the snow day is slightly unexpected.) and Bart (whilst being a slacker and a cheat) is probably a stronger character morally than later seasons with his prayer and feeling of responsibility.

Some bugs definitely need to be worked out, and would be worked out eventually. But keeping that in mind, it's a very strong episode with some of the most in-depth character development for Bart.

Great From What It Started As, 25 November 2007

Some Enchanted Evening

The story of the production of this episode is well-known and that much, if not most of the animation is re-done. And as such, the original material left is still slightly noticeable particularly with the distinguishing gradients in some of the backgrounds (although this can also be seen Bart The Genius.) Of course, in comparison with what the episode started out as, it's a very well done episode. Whilst not being tremendously serious (except for the early Homer/Marge scene) the light-hearted nature, which does largely rely on robbery after-all, is entertaining.

So, as such the animation is clunky, but the performances (particularly Penny Marshall's Ms. Botz (Botzukowski) makes up for it and makes a satisfying end to the first season of The Simpsons.

Best Of The First Season, 25 November 2007

Krusty Gets Busted

Ultimately, I feel that Krusty Gets Busted is, to me, on a higher level than any other Simpsons episode in the first season. The animation in particular is impressive. Whilst, generally the first season is not perfectly animated, Krusty Gets Busted to me has as much in common animation-wise as the superior season 2.

The direction of the episode is also a high water-mark and has a more cinematic style compared to the somewhat limited format in many episodes. The acting is great, particularly Nancy Cartwright and Kelsey Grammar in his first of many appearances as Sideshow Bob.

My sole criticism of the episode is the sound, which has a problem with occasionally inexplicably reverberating sound. But the episode is still very good and even shows how in celebrity court cases how people can be very quick to choose aside regardless of the number of facts.

C'est Bon!, 25 November 2007

The Crepes Of Wrath

One of the better Season 1 episodes, Crepes Of Wrath is the first in the show's long line of "Simpsons visit..." though the exception being only one Simpsons family member (Bart) going to France.

The episode doesn't rely entirely on culture shock and very little of the episode is in Paris, instead settling on the less used rural regions of the country which gives some relief. Of course, there is also the unexpected use of the country, Albania. Of course, with it being Albania in 1990 the episode was outdated soon after, but on entertainment value it is good for it's time.

Nancy Cartwright's performance with Bart is somewhat impressive, though the acting of the other cast members isn't exactly as strong. But above it all, it's an ambitious episode for a program which at that point was so young, and it pays off.

A So-So Story With A Good Message, 25 November 2007

Homer's Night Out

Despite the title, the title only takes up a small amount of the episode, although the repercussions do make up a large part of the episode. It's the second consecutive Homer/Marge episode and is slightly less conventional in it's message than Life In The Fast Life, but the writing isn't really as strong.

The jokes aren't as strong, but have a couple of good moments and the lounge singer at the end (his name espcapes me) is a particularly strong character, just a shame he wasn't expanded upon in future episodes, though I believe he was voiced by a guest star (whose name also escapes me.)

The episode does progress nicely and the sequence that shows Bart's picture spread is somewhat well written and well-paced, and the episode somewhat regains it's stride near the end, but it's not overly strong just a kinda good episode.