Pointblankstare

OK movie - very lacking as a political movie goes, 30 July 2010

Preface: I think Robert Redford is a great actor and plays his roles very well. None of the below criticism and comment is directed toward his performance.

It was an OK movie, but very lacking as a political movie goes. The movie had a lot of potential for the first half, where their was actually a dialogue! In the first half: Characters were being developed, difficult political questions were being discussed, and even the personal difficulties of running for office and selling vs. keeping true.

THEN the second half of the movie came. There was almost no dialogue, and the little that there was, was seriously not compelling. There was a lot of music cutting from scene to scene, and cinematography showing this or that and then back again. But there was very little point.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little to make a point. If this is your first politics related movie, or you really don't know much about politics, and your interested to 'see THE VERY SURFACE of what it might be like', then you could enjoy this movie.

Otherwise, avoid it like the plague. It will certainly make you feel like you wasted your time. And, if you're like me and have a very hard time turning off a movie if you thought it had potential near the beginning stay away. You know, as it trends into an abysmal spiral from the middle to the end, even though your 90% sure it will crash and burn on the same predicted trajectory, you WAIT TO SEE THE END and are even more frustrated. The end was fairly pathetic.

Serious bottom line: Watch any of The West Wing and you will be so much happier.

Did I miss anything? How did this movie win an academy award for its writing of all things! blah to that.