tgardner-4

Missing in America a must see - Zoe and Danny amazing, 13 November 2005

I just saw Zoe Weizenbaum with Danny Glover in "Missing in America." It was featured at the Northampton Independent Film Festival, which presented Zoe with the best new actress award. The film is an actor's film. Danny Glover's best performance since To Sleep With Anger. But Zoe is amazing in her first movie part, playing an Amero-Vietnamese girl who is left with a Vietnam Vet, played by Glover. It is a disturbing film about the effects of war on many of my generation, and there were some very appreciative Vietnam vets in the audience. Zoe lives in nearby Amherst and discussed her role after the screening. One of the vets handed her a letter he had written his Mom from Vietnam. He had the same nickname in Nam as one of the characters in the film, Dink, which comes from the Vietnamese term for "crazy." You could tell the film meant a lot to him. While the film reminds us of the ongoing personal damage of the combat experience, it is also a healing film, and Zoe carries the healing power of a child's innocence with subtle grace throughout the film. Everyone should see this film.

Tom Gardner Amherst, MA