chasmilt777

one-sided piece of propaganda, 13 December 2007

I has hyped up in seeing this documentary, only to find disappointment after rushing across Dallas during rush hour traffic to see a special viewing at the Texas movie theater.

Even though Robert Stone said that he tried to present both sides in his documentary, the end suggested that Oswald acted alone. Stone did not convince me of this, instead he only angered me into thinking that I wasted my time in watching his film.

Stone only showed the members of the Warren Commission and never mentioned them by name. These Commission members would have been happy to know that their deception is still being presented today. Gerald Ford, the only man to ever hold the position of President that was never elected by the people, and Robert Dulles, the ex-director of the CIA who was fired by JFK, are two of the men in American history that helped cover-up the true events that happened that dark day in Dallas.

Stone points to Oswald as being the man who shot at General Walker in Dallas before the assassination of JFK. This was never confirmed. If this was true, it only proves that Oswald was not a very good shot or marksman. In the cover of night, Oswald misses Walker, but yet at high noon and in broad daylight, Oswald hits President Kennedy three times in six seconds. No sniper in our special forces could pull off this feat. Not with a single bolt action rifle. Oswald has no Davy Crockett nor Daniel Boone. This film brought up none of Oswald's military training or rifle skills.

How did the Warren Commission get away with thinking that the American people are stupid enough to believe that Oswald acted alone ? It seems that the director of this documentary thinks the same. I was very disappointed to find out that Norman Mailer believed in this deception too.

the missing years 1960 - 1963, 15 May 2007

I have always enjoyed PBS documentaries, but I was very disappointed in this one. It starts off with LBJ and the Vietnam war in 1964. What happened to the first three years of that decade ? To me, it was how LBJ got into power and all the corruption and deception to the American people that made the youth revolt in the streets. Seeing the murder of JFK in streets of Dallas had to be the starting point of the darkest years in my generation. The United States was on the verge of another Civil War because the people felt that they no longer ran the country and wanted to express their views. These students tested the powers in control. They knew that they would be beaten, arrested, and perhaps shot down for there beliefs. They wanted to take back their country from the corrupt politicians and corporations who were supplying a war machine.

This DVD did bring out some interesting facts, especially the students who marched in other parts of the world, such as Prague, Germany, and France.

"Newhart" (1982)
Bob Newhart is an American comic legend, 21 December 2006

Bob Newhart is probably one of the funniest comics in American history. He brought clean and wholesome entertainment to American television before the days of cable access. This show, his second TV series, is very enjoyable to watch and the characters are funny to the bone.

There are several episodes that make me laugh by just thinking about them. Examples being "The Great White Buck", "Pick on Dick", or the episode where Dick stays on the air to do a TV marathon in which Stephanie has to sing "Old Man River" to get him off the set. Not to count any of the Larry , Darrell, and Darrell or "Sweater Girl" episodes.

I can't wait for this classic sitcom to come to DVD. Newhart is a classic ! Bob Newhart is a great American !

Four brothers in arms and God., 24 September 2006

This 60 minute documentary is special because the story is special. Four chaplains during World War II, went down together on the Dorchester on Feb. 3, 1943. Rev. George Fox (Methodist), Father John Washington (Catholic), Rev.Clark Poling (Dutch Reformed), and Rabbi Alexander Goode (Jewish)were brave men who loved God and their fellow soldiers. Even though the men on the transport ship, the Dorchester, were told to sleep with their life jackets on, many were caught off guard when the German wolf pack hit their ship with 2 torpedoes at 1 am. The ship sank after 18 minutes. Noticing that many had no life jackets, these four servants of God gave their jackets over to fellow soldiers. More than 600 out of the 900 soldiers were killed in the icy waters that night. The survivors told the story of how these four brave men joined hands, sang hymns, and gave prayers as the ship went down. These chaplains serve as modern day role models. Even thought they came from different cultures, they realized and lived what the Bibles says. In the end times, a man who tries to save his own life will lose it, and a man who tries to save others will save it. Are you living a life without your life jacket on ? Are you willing to give your jacket away to someone in need ?

What a gem of a movie !, 16 September 2006

Every once in awhile, one comes across a movie and they find it to be a real gem. This is one of those. I ran across this DVD in a pawn shop and bought it because I like Edward Herrmann. His part is very small as the town preacher. I found this delightful film to be very funny, touching, and entertaining.

It was Mark Hamill's role as the dog catcher that I found to be my favorite. He did such a great job with the country accent and he made me laugh out loud more than once. Ellen Burstyn plays the lovable grandma who everyone who sees this film will fall in love with. I also enjoyed Gail O'Grady and Judge Reinhold playing the confused grown up kids.

I highly recommend this movie to any one who wants to enjoy life. It is a story that shows that everyone deserves a second chance and that doing right by others is the key to true happiness.

The Pope against evil of the 20th Century, 12 September 2006

This 150 minute Frontline documentary is a must see for all Catholics and non - Catholics, for all believers in Christ as well as non believers. Pope John Paul II lived at a time where evil was disguised and solidarity became harder and harder to find.

This PBS DVD video covers his entire life, from growing up in a Jewish town in Poland and the after war punishment by Stalin and the Communists, to fighting the new modern day holocaust in the form of abortion and birth control. This documentary shows how the Church became tougher than the Communist state, It also shows John Paul's iron determination under the surface and his personal inner resistance.

Many issues are brought up. Faith, the death penalty, the 1981 Marshall law in Poland, the assassination of Romero in El Salvador, and Pope John Paul's own assassination attempt. PBS, as always, does an excellent job in making one think. Everyone, no matter who are, will be enlightened after viewing this special documentary.

Must see documentary of 60th anniversary of Iwo Jima, 21 August 2006

This 74 minute documentary was excellent ! I rarely give any film a 10 rating, but this documentary tells a different perspective on some of the people who lived and died during the bloodiest battle in the Pacific during World War II, Iwo Jima.

I take off my hat to all the people responsible in making this excellent documentary. A must see for all veterans, for all Marines, and for all Americans. For any father who has ever thought about leaving an honorable legacy for their children and grand children.

The stories are well presented. It speaks of a time in American history about a generation of young men who fought for what was morally right. Their letters to their sons back home are very moving and interesting. Things like "Don't be a Bully" and "always help out others" are just some of the things mentioned in these letters. The reasons why they fought are also brought up.

There are stories about men like Col. Butler and Leonard Smith Isacks who did not come back home. There are also stories about others like flyer William Brown and Bill Henderson, who survived all 36 days of bloody fighting. These men, including all the others, should never be forgotten.

I thank God that American has a Memorial Day, a time to honor all our fathers who gave their lives so that we can be free. A freedom to worship our heavenly Father in the manner we see fit. Every day should be a day of Thanksgiving. God has blessed America with great men that this film presents.

Catherine the Great was a leader, 11 August 2006

I can't recall seeing a PBS Home Video that I did not like. Educational documentaries are my favorite. Before viewing this DVD, I knew very little about Catherine the Great. After watching this 2 hour special, I don't know if I admire her or dislike her. Even thought she was not moral in her marriage to Peter, she was not the great nymphomaniac or harlot that history has made her out to be. Over looking her short comings, she did bring social reform to Russia. I believe that she did what she thought was best for her country.

The best thing about this documentary is that it tells her story from her own memoirs and personal letters. It makes a good historical account of her life. She had compassion for her people and was ruthless towards her enemies. It would be unfair to compare Catherine to Evita Peron or Cleopatra. Catherine stands alone. She shows great courage when she leads the way in taking the vaccine for small pox first. This documentary brings out other interesting facts.

Emily Bruni does an excellent job in portraying Catherine the Great. I would like to see her in other acting roles.

I would liked to have seen more about Caterine's religious views as well as her taste in the arts. There are a few Russian subtitles in this special.

Weather you like or dislike Catherine the Great, she helped make Russia a great nation. Too bad Lennin and Stalin made Russia such an evil place to live.

The Paris Story - 1789, 10 August 2006

This 30 minute dramatization presented on "The Plymouth Playhouse" was originally aired on May 10, 1953. The Paris story was Part 2 of the classic "The Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens.

This episode 5 of the "ABC Album" was so much better than episode 4 that was aired on early TV the week before. With the French revolution, there was much more excitement, and for being so short , was done rather well.

Judith Evelyn played the role of Therese Defarge. She was very convincing as the French revolutionary. Thanks to IMDb, I noticed that she played several small parts for Alfred Hitchcock, including the movie "Rear Window". Lucille Pierlot played the role of the Seamstress. Look at Part 1, the London story, for the rest of the cast members.

Getting to watch this on DVD made me appreciate how far TV has evolved since the early 1950's. This short was a Historic classic !

The London Story - 1780, 10 August 2006

The Plymouth Playhouse that aired on ABC (May 3, 1953)was Part 1 of "The Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens. This episode 4 of "ABC Album" was the London story - 1780. It was a 30 minute dramatization made for early TV. For its time, it was o.k., but the second part that was aired the following week was much better.

Wendell Corey played the role of Sydney Carton. Wanda Hendrix, who had been married to Audie Murphy (the WW II hero)in 1949, played the role of Lucie Manette. Her father, Dr. Manette, was played by Murray Matheson. It was the role of Pross, played by Esther Dale, that I liked the best. I remember her role in "The Awful Truth" (1937) as Ralph Bellamy's prude mother from Oklahoma. Carleton Young played the role as Charles Darnay.

I was lucky to have this presentation on DVD. It came in a 50 Movie Pack box set entitled : Historic Classics. Vintage Plymouth car commercials are also included.