chasmilt777

best sitcom ever !, 5 July 2006

This was my favorite BBC sitcom. Even though there was only 30 episodes, it ranks as my favorite among all comedies. I was so fortunate to have had access to public television growing up. Channel 13 in Dallas, Texas was the first public TV station to air "Monty Python's Flying Circus" in the U. S. (Three cheers to Eric Idle).

It was the "Good Neighbors" series that got me started in collecting and recording TV shows onto VHS tapes. One can not help but fall in love with the characters on this show. Tom and Barbara Good are the main characters who decide to live a life of total self-efficiency in the suburbs of London. It is their next door neighbors, Margo and Jerry Ledbetter, that bring in most of the laughs. They remain best of friends with the Good's even though their lifestyles become totally different.

I highly recommend this excellent British comedy. Everyone has a favorite and this show is mine. My favorite American TV sitcom is "The Bob Newhart Show". These two shows have nothing in common except that they make you laugh.

Admiral John Ford's personal ship, 29 June 2006

This 13 minute documentary short is found on the DVD : "The Long Voyage Home" (1940), directed by John Ford and starring John Wayne.

The Araner was Admiral Ford's personal vessel and home away from home.

I recently researched a school paper on John Ford. Thus, I really enjoyed this short documentary. It was really neat to hear the voices of Ford and his wife, Mary. Especially when they spoke about doing under cover work for the United States government while sailing to Mexico on the Araner.

It is special features like this that make DVD collecting fun.

In "The Long Voyage Home" (1940), look for Barry Fitzgerald and Arthur Shields. They are real life brothers and Ford uses them in several of his movies, including "The Quiet Man" (1952).

Christians will not like this !, 21 June 2006

I recently bought this DVD because of the all-star cast. It was an HBO made for cable movie and was suppose to be a comedy. I love Beau Bridges, Phil Hartman, and James Coburn. I collect all of their movies.

I liked the story and found the funny parts too realistic to laugh at. The most disturbing factor was the number of times the Lord's name was taken in vain. It was so numerous that I could not enjoy this film. What in the world was HBO thinking ? The saddest thing is that great actors like Hartman, Coburn, and James Earl Jones have this picture listed among their respective legacies.

It's hard to believe that Beau Bridges won an Emmy for his role as the Gov. of Idaho. I don't keep up with the Emmy Awards. Was there nothing better aired on TV in 1997 ? Don't get me wrong. Beau Bridges is a great actor. I loved him in "Adam's Woman", a movie which has never been released on DVD.

I'm not exaggerating about the excessive language. Even non-believers will find it overdone and annoying.

Satin and Silk (2003) (V)
Cyd Charisse Hosts Cole Porter in Hollywood : Satin and Silk, 12 June 2006

This 10 minute documentary can be found on the DVD "Silk Stockings" (1957). It is interesting to see Cyd Charisse, who was born in Texas, host this informative short. Her beauty and grace makes the 10 minutes fly. "Silk Stockings" (1957) is the musical version of Greta Garbo's "Ninotchka" (1939). Both are comedies and American film classics.

Also on the "Silk Stockings" DVD, there is a 1934 short with Bob Hope called "Paree Paree". This 21 min. short is a must see for all Bob Hope fans and contains several Cole Porter songs.

I wish all DVD's could include such excellent and historical extras. "The Poet and Peasant Overture" (1955), a 9 min. musical short, is also included. It is performed by the MGM Symphony Orchestra.

Power Play (1994)
Some things are more important than money, 11 May 2006

It has hard to believe that this film was only 62 min's long ! It was excellent, and for having a no-name cast, it was a great piece of art. This movie made me smile and at times , cry. The message of the story is the best thing - some things are more important than money !!! The excerpts with Billy Graham gave this movie direction and purpose. But it is the word of God that makes this short film great ! Any Christians (or non )who are dating will love this movie. I thought it was romantic too. Before the film ends, you will be so interested in the leading characters, that you will wish for a sequel. This movie is living proof that motion pictures can be clean and still be very entertaining. That Heroes are the ones who are doing the right things regardless of what the secular world believes. I just loved the performance of the lady called "the Terminator" - lol.

Damaged Goods (2002/II)
more like "Misery" with a vengeance into bondage, 6 May 2006

If this was suppose to be a black comedy, then why didn't I laugh ? I don't even remember smiling big. But I did watch this movie all the way through and liked it enough to stick it out. The woman reminded me of my ex - sister -in-law when she was having a real bad day... being... unpredictable !!! The guy was a Loser with a big mouth and I couldn't sympathize with him , no matter how ugly things got. At times one has to wonder if they are both crazy. The ending could have been done a dozen different ways. I didn't care for the way it ended, maybe you will. If your looking for laughs, don't bother. If your looking for something simple, different, and a wee bit twisted, give it a try.

Envy (2002) (V)
warning ! warning ! Will Robinson !!!!, 2 April 2006

I never try to waste my time reviewing crappy movies, but this movie was so bad, I feel somebody needs to send out a "Katrina" alert !!! "Envy" should have been called "Penis Envy". The story could have been funny and/or sexy, but it failed. High School students could have written a better script. The Hero's plight is that she can not take a pee while walking home drunk in the desert (not that she was almost raped ). Her girlfriend, who bullies her attacker, runs off from the Penis Fairy ?? Give me a break - will ya? It gets worse and worse. The only reason why I gave this garbage a " 2 " is : the camera work was not bad. Avoid this one - even if your a lesbian - lol.

Not that bad for 1958., 6 February 2006

"The Power of the Resurrection" is a 60 minute movie. It is not a great version of Jesus's resurrection. But there was some things that I did like about this movie. I can't believe that the first 10 people to vote on IMDb gave it an average of 2.7. I reckon after seeing Mel Gibson's version, one would find this production by Family Films rather weak. The DVD jacket says it's a 1962 release and IMDb says 1958, regardless, that's a generation ago. There was no earthquake at the cross and the Pentecost scene was lacking, but I did like seeing Peter throwing away his sword and the sealing of the tomb. The message that Jesus loves us so much that he died for our sins, is always great news no matter which version you watch.

"The Night America Trembled " with Jim Coburn, 23 January 2006

I recently purchased a "50 Movie Pack : Historic Classics" at Best Buy. Included was "The Night America Trembled", a 50 minute episode of Studio One. (Episode 10.1 - aired on Sept. 9th, 1957 ). It was the story about the CBS broadcast of the War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells in 1938. This episode was fast paced and very well done. It had an all-star cast with Edward R. Murrow as the smoking narrator, and several unknowns at the time, including James Coburn as Sam (credited as Jim Coburn, and his very first TV appearance), Warren Beatty and Warren Oates as the young poker players, and Ed Asner as a radio character. Even John Astin (of the Addams Family) had a small part as the newspaper typist and does not appear in the ending credits. Thanks to IMDb, I noticed that there was a made for TV remake in the 1970's. I would love to see this version so that I could compare the two.

Great version of the greatest story., 8 January 2006

I really lucked out getting this movie in a recent DVD box set entitled : " Historic Classics" - 50 Movie Pack at Best Buy. I can not tell you how impressed I was seeing Nelson Leigh play Jesus.

This movie was made in 1949, and even though it was low budget with a no-name cast, it was a remarkable version of the greatest story ever told. I highly recommend "The Pilgrimage Play" to all Christians of every denomination. Once you get into this picture, you will most likely be glued to the end.

The story takes place in a prison where Peter tells two other prisoners the story of Jesus. This movie is very fast paced and so enjoyable to watch. Hats off to all the people responsible for making this grand picture. This DVD will be a hidden gem in my movie collection.