feelinesound

Enjoyable despite the plot holes - the good outweighs the bad, 18 June 2011

I generally find it quite hard to enjoy movies that have so many plot holes and inconsistencies, but managed to this time. The great, engaging cast (January Jones aside) and depth of characterisation had much to do with this, as did the flawless editing and cinematography.

It's a shame they didn't spend more time working out details like why Raven seemed to grow up most if not all of her life in England yet has an American accent for some reason (I know the real reason was Jennifer Lawrence being incapable of mastering an English accent, but what about in the movie?), how her brother-sister back story relationship with Xavier is completely inconsistent with anything in previous films/comics, how non-Americans can so easily find themselves working for the US government, and I could go on and on.

None of these issues completely drag the plot down since none of them are completely crucial to it, but you get the feeling that if they had spend a bit more effort addressing these problems this could have been a real masterpiece (well at least as far as big budget epic blockbusters go). Shame!

Thor (2011)
An insult to Marvel fans, movie goers, and human intelligence in general, 28 April 2011

Honestly, seeing that Branagh directed and J. Michael Straczynski wrote the script is a large part of why I went to see the movie. Plus I'm generally a big fan of Marvel and their movies.

Unfortunately it's one of the dumbest things I've seen in years, and is completely full of moronic clichés and the most superficial faux morals. Please do yourself a favour and spend your money on things that are more deserving of it, especially if you've worked hard to earn it.

Just in case you want to know what you'll be missing ---

* spoiler alert * (though really I'm giving this film a massive compliment by suggesting you could 'spoil' anything in it)

Thor's father takes his hammer away and sends him to earth for punishment. While there Thor literally changes overnight from being an arrogant, rash and violent idiot to a wise, humble and pacifist purveyor of all things noble, and the only possible reason for this that's presented in the movie is that he met Natalie Portman and was then told that his father died while he was gone. Once Thor the god of thunder completes this astonishing and instant transformation and sacrifices his life for others, his hammer flies back to him, revives him and he beats the bad guys with it.

If you really, really love Marvel movies and viking folklore (to the point where you don't mind these things being made a joke out of) and have 2.5 hours in which you'd otherwise be causing harm to humanity or this planet, go see it. Otherwise you might as well spare yourself from this glorious waste of time and brain cells.