rayato

Chronicle (2012)
An unexpected surprise. One of the best of 2012 for sure., 11 February 2012

This is a superhero movie done right. Film comes out of nowhere and will definitely end up being one of the best of 2012. Great performances. The actor that plays Andrew is one to watch. Extremely relatable kid and if you're gone thru the same thing, the very raw scenes with his abusive father will hit close to home. The CGI is fantastic for a $15M production. A very interesting twist on the superhero genre that is fun for the first half and then becomes very dark with a third act that is so absolutely bonkers, it would Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) proud. For a 80- minute movie they could've took their time and fleshed out some characters a bit more but that's irrelevant. Without question one of the most innovative, entertaining films I've seen in years. Go see it!

50/50 (2011)
Laugh-Riot/Tear-Jerker: One of the year's best films., 14 September 2011

They did the impossible. They made me laugh hysterically during a cancer film. The performances are fantastic, especially Gordon-Levitt and Kendrick. If there is any justice, these two will become massive stars with this film. Huston was also marvelous. Seth Rogen played the same character he always has but I didn't mind because his character is a crucial part to what makes this movie work so well.

Everyone gives a honest performance and the situations are genuine. There are some great laughs but there are also some heartbreaking moments. This definitely a movie for our time, and being a twenty-something myself, I connected with any aspects of this film, especially the relationship between Gordon-Levitt and Rogen's characters.

This has been a great year for R-rated comedies and I believe this film is head and shoulders above the rest. It's a laugh-riot and a tear- jerker and it's one of the best movies of 2011. My highest recommendation. Go see this movie.

Warrior (2011)
Wow! What a Surprise! Best Sports Movie since Million Dollar Baby!!!, 6 September 2011

Just left an early screening from "Warrior" and I hate to use puns but this movie is a First-Round TKO. Yes, the fight scenes are incredible but what really surprised me is how emotionally powerful this story and the performances are.

Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton and Nick Nolte are spellbinding. There is not a dishonest moment in this movie and that is thanks to their fine work here. You heart breaks for both brothers, you understand what they're fighting for and you want them to win.

It is not a spoiler when I write that, unfortunately, there can only be one winner and it is the final outcome that is truly the most heart-wrenching moment that I have seen in a film in a good long time.

This film deserves any success coming to it, I think it will become a word-of-mouth sleeper hit, once people see what is undoubtedly the best sports movie since Million Dollar Baby. What a surprise! This is a must-see film.

Nowhere near as good as the trailer was. Disappointed., 13 March 2011

This was not the movie I was expecting to watch. Battle:LA had the best trailer I'd seen in forever and it gave me the impression that this would be a much darker movie, a movie where hope was nonexistent and mankind was doomed. This is nowhere near that kind of movie. Unfortunately, it's just 'Black Hawk Down' but with aliens. Actually, it's pretty much a live-action video game. Think 'Call of Duty'. But with aliens. Don't get me wrong it wasn't a bad movie (the action scenes were fantastic and Aaron Eckhart was surprisingly good) but this was not to movie that was being sold to me. Pretty disappointed. If you thought the trailer was genius like I did, save your $12 and just re watch the trailer.

Killing Nazis never looked so good., 21 August 2009

Yep, Tarantino killed it. Killing Nazis never looked so good. Brad Pitt was fantastic, his best performance ever. Cristoph Waltz' Col. Handa is one of the best villains I've seen in a while, he's such a diabolical a-hole. I <3 Eli Roth as the Bear Jew, beside Pitt he was my favorite basterd. I would give this film 5 stars but there is a scene in a bar in the second act that would've made its point in 5 minutes but instead takes 20 MINUTES. There is no point to this and it felt extremely indulgent. Forget runpee.com, if you need to run out on the theater to pee, wait for this scene. Having said that, the first and last act in the movie are frickin insane! The final half hour is so good it's almost unreal. Overall, if you love action and hates Nazis, WATCH THIS FILM!

The Mist (2007)
An Insanely Underrated Horror Masterpiece. Rent It!!!!!!!!, 31 March 2008

There are many possibilities why 'The Mist' tanked at the box office. Maybe people didn't want to see a horror film during the holidays. Maybe people didn't think Frank 'Green Mile' Darabont could pull off a horror flick. Maybe everyone just thought it was the sequel to the horrible Tom Welling flick 'The Fog'. Whatever the reason may be, I really hope this film gets the attention it deserves.

The performances are top-notch, surprising for a horror flick. Standouts include Thomas Jane as the protagonist and Marcia Gay Harden as the crazy religious lady. I think Harden deserved an Oscar for that film because she's probably the most hated character in a film in the past year (yes, she's even more evil than Anton Chigurh and Daniel Plainwiew).

The CGI wasn't bad. The tentacle scene reminded me of 'Deep Rising'but it was actually scary. That's the other thing about 'The Mist': when you start watching the film, you don't suspect the horrors that will ensue. At. All. And the most terrifying thing about the film is not the monsters but how the characters act when faced with certain doom.

As for the controversial ending, I gotta say it was rough. It wasn't as off-putting as the final scenes of 'Funny Games' but it was unexpected. And the aftermath was even more unsettling.

Overall, I did not expect to like this film as much as I did. If you want to rent a REALLY good horror film you can't do better than 'The Mist'.

9.5/10

The Black 'Scarface', 4 November 2007

"American Gangster" is without one of the best crime epics I have ever seen. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe are phenomenal in this film, and the scenes they have together are electric.

The film is 2 hours and 37 minutes long but I promise you they will go by in a flash. You will be enthralled by the story and the performances. The music is also excellent and Ridley Scott did a fantastic job directing. I genuinely think, a decade from now, this film will join "Scarface", "Godfather", "Goodfellas", and "The Departed" (among others) as one of the great crime films in American cinema. And it sure as hell in a contender for the 2008 Oscars.

I have to give a day to let the movie sink in but right now I genuinely think "AG" is the Best Film of 2007. Totally worth your money. See it now. 9.5/10

I'm so glad it didn't suck!!!, 25 July 2007

Let me just say I had my doubts. The last couple of seasons of 'The Simpsons' have been lackluster at best and I genuinely thought that their chance to make a great Simpsons film passed roughly 10 years ago. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! I am a huge Simpsons nerd and it is my privilege to say that "The Simpsons Movie" belongs in the very small group of classic Simpsons episodes ("Bart the Daredevil", "Mr. Plow", etc.) Very funny and very timely. Great animation and some nice cameos.

Really don't want to give any spoilers so I'll just say if you're a Simpsons fan: you will love this movie. And if you agree that the Simpsons lost their edge, you will be pleasantly surprised as was I. 8.5/10

Hairspray (2007)
'Hairspray': I cannot stop smiling!, 19 July 2007

I have to admit going into 'Hairspray', I thought I was going to get a pretentious schmaltzy formulaic musical with so-so performances....BOY WAS I WRONG! This movie was just a joy to watch. From the catchy opening number ('Good Morning Baltimore') to the sensational finale ('You Can't Stop the Beat', my fav) the film just had a wide-eye innocence not seen in movies for a looooong time.

And all the performances were fantastic. Nikki Blonsky is my new favorite young actress, she really blew it out of the park with the infectious Tracy Turnblad. As for Travolta, I so wanted to hate on his performance but I just can't, his/her Edna Turnblad was hilarious and endearing. Queen Latifah was awesome as usual, and Michelle Pfeiffer was devilishly good as the movie's villain. As for the rest: James Marsden turns in his best performance ever as Corny Collins, Amanda Bynes is lovable and funny as Tracy's BFF Penny, Elijah Kelly was ridiculous as Seaweed Tubbs, and I have to admit even Zac Efron was really good here (FYI, I hate 'High School Musical').Also while I'm not a huge fan of musicals, this is the first one that had me toe-tapping. I've never toe-tapped during a movie!

In conclusion, 'Hairspray' is definitely the biggest surprise of the year. It doesn't matter if your male, female, old, young, black, white, latino, Asian, gay, straight, whatever, I can promise you if you give this film a shot, you'll leave the theater with a big ol' smile on your face.

'Hairspray' is without a doubt one of the best of 2007 so far. 9.5/10

Screw the critics, this movie's awesome!, 16 June 2007

Probably to say F4-2 is better than the original ain't saying much but after the massive disappointments that were 'Spider-Man 3', 'Pirates 3' and 'Shrek 3', 'Silver Surfer' was a pleasant surprise and a great time at the movies.

Personally, the only redeeming grace of the original were the Fantastic Four themselves, particularly Evans and Chiklis. But when you put these likable characters with a much better script and amazing special effects you get the first truly enjoyable film of the summer.

Now it wasn't perfect, I hate Julian McMahon as Dr. Doom. I hated him in the first one, and I hated him even more in the second one. And despite the world coming to an end, there wasn't really any tension throughout the entire movie.

But I have to say that Evans (Torch) and Chiklis (Thing) were fantastic, Alba and Groufford were better than the first, also Kerry Washington (I love her) was pretty good too in this one.

As for the Silver Surfer, I thought the effects were amazing and Fishburne was the perfect choice for him. As for the controversial Galactus (a storm cloud?) I thought it wasn't bad. It looked like a Thundercloud had sex with a Kraken, but it looked good.

All in all, I enjoyed myself. I say: catch a matinée (I did, only $4), turn off your brain and have fun. 7.5/10