themovieman3000

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Brilliant movie but not as good as the original, 26 September 2008

No Sean Bean. Difficult to re introduce his character but he is a quality actor and i missed his acting talents in this.

Some amazing scenes in the original namely the stealing of the declaration of independence. Really fast paced and full of suspense and thrills. That's not to say the sequel didn't have any of that.

Some of the scenes in the sequel felt like they were missing something. I felt like i wanted more out of the 'undercover' moments such as in Buckingham Palace, the White House and the kidnapping of the president.

It also lacked in bad guy chase scenes.

Although the final scene in this was funny it was probably one scene too much.

However i don't dislike this movie at all. I enjoyed it very much but i guess it would always have been hard to better the original.

As with the Bourne Supremacy, the Bourne Ultimatum is tarnished by shoddy direction, 19 May 2008

Paul Greengrass seems to have been the principle contributor in the disappointing Bourne follow up the Bourne Supremacy. However having got off to a poor start he has managed to step up his act in the Bourne Ultimatum which upon first viewing manages to engage audiences. However despite this, I can't help but feel that with Doug Liman as director the film could have gone a lot further.

I have to comment on the poor camera work. I'm still not convinced that Greengrass' style is the way forward for the Bourne Ultimatum to work. It does have the feel of being very fast paced but it not what I believe to be the most effective in producing a really good Bourne film.

The other problem with the Bourne Ultimatum is that it feels like a check list of places to film. London, New York, Madrid, Morocco etc. It seems to be a case of just continuing the chase and just having different parts of the world to add to its effect.

Much of it feels like a re-run of the Bourne Supremacy and after the first viewing the effect of the Bourne Ultimatum is lost.

The ability of the Bourne Supremacy and the Bourne Ultimatum to go on to better things has been hampered by the poor direction. That's not to say that this movie did not entertain its just that the direction could have been a lot better and continuing to allow Greengrass to direct would not be the way forward. I can not see him changing his style of film making. Relegating Doug Liman to No. 2 proved to be the biggest problem with the Bourne Supremacy and the Bourne Ultimatum.

Martin Lawrence returns as Big Momma and its a welcome return, 19 May 2008

Big Momma is back but this time on the hunt for international terrorists.

Martin Lawrence has been excellent in films such as Blue Streak and the original outing for Big Momma. For some reason this film has achieved a low score on the IMDb user ratings. This film deserves much more credit than it has received.

Reasons why this is an excellent movie

Firstly its Big Momma's House. Secondly, it stars Martin Lawrence. Thirdly, its incredibly entertaining.

This film is as good as the the original. Many might slate Big Momma's House for being childish or for not liking Martin Lawrence but to be quite honest what I want in a film is to be entertained. Also, few movies can be watched several times without them getting boring and this movie falls into that category.

Martin Lawrence is brilliant as Big Momma. This is a fun movie that the whole family can see.

It would be nice for another Big Momma's House movie to be made

At World's End - A film that is adequately reviewed by its own title, 19 December 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End is the third installment of this most annoying franchise and i fear it won't stop here. The words cash cow are written all over it because the makers will milk it and continue to do so until it runs dry.

I really hate this final installment. The only reason why I got by with Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and 2 was because I had read the plot in advance. Not doing this with the third installment was being silly. Even doing that would be silly because there really isn't any plot. It seems like they never finished the script when they started shooting and the editing is poor to say the least.

CGI, lots of nonsense fight sequences, bangs and booms and countless more sequences involving CGI with big bangs and swordfights. Bloom and Knightly are about as wooden can possibly be. Nothing actually happens! Bits and bobs happen but nothing actually happens. CGI doesn't make this an amazing movie, it just adds to the 3 hour bore - its irritating and that's being kind.

Johnny Depp only turns up after 30 minutes and the most ill-judged opening sequence.

Over 3 hours of your life that could be better spent doing something else.

If this is what clutters up the cinema in this day and age, it really is the end of the world.

"Coast" (2005)
Refreshing, one of the best television programmes in recent years, 14 July 2007

This show is a great fusion of mainly Geography and then History and Biology.

Its a great way to get a glimpse of one of the best coastlines worldwide, a tour of Britain.

Neil Oliver presents, a real enthusiast, with the help of faces such as anatomy lecturer Alice Roberts, also Miranda Krestovnikoff and geographer Nicholas Crane.

This is a fantastic documentary show and if geography is one of your favourite subjects, this is great television.

Thank the BBC for coming up with the goods.

Garfield 2 - A tale well done, 17 June 2007

The Garfield movies are obviously aimed at the younger audiences and i have to say that both the first and the second are alright, in fact the second edges the first.

Tim Hill directs - never heard of him but comes up with the goods.

Joel Cohen and Alec Sokolow are writing buddies and have written for other decent films before including Toy Story, Cheaper By The Dozen, Evan Almighty and Daddy Day Camp and I must say, seem to have come up trumps here.

Tick more boxes with the cast - Billy Connelly should, to be honest, be credited with the lead role and if you are hesitant about seeing this movie, Connelly himself might just make this movie worthwhile for you. He is very good, works fine as the bad guy, in a film where he plots to rid the cat, Prince, the lookalike of Garfield, voiced by Tim Curry from Carlyle Castle so he can inherit all of the estate and redevelop the site.

A Tale of Two Kitties is sometimes like Dr. Dolittle because there's quite a few animals about, voiced by some of the more well known people around, including Joe Pasquale, Vinnie Jones, Bob Hoskins (who is great as Winston the dog), Richard E Grant and Rhys Ifans.

Also, of course are Meyer and Hewitt returning from the original outing, who you don't actually get to see a lot of (compared to the animals and Billy Connelly at least).

This is good fun and the younger audiences should really enjoy it.

Excellent Sequel, 15 June 2007

I must admit that I'm quite a fan of the Fantastic Four movies and when this one came out, I had to go to the first screening of this in my local cinema.

This film gave exactly what I expected and didn't leave me disappointed. I was impressed by the first outing too and i know i'm going against the majority, but I really do believe these films are better than Spiderman, Pirates, Batman etc.

I think Tim Story is a great director and the special effects in both movies really are fantastic and the cast is spot on. Ioan Gruffud, from Hornblower and Amazing Grace plus Jessica Alba. Wow, great actors and one of the world's best looking girls. The supporting cast is fabulous as well. Chris Evans as Johnny might annoy some but its a fun ride, pure entertainment value and that's what movies are all about. Oh, also Michael Chiklis was great, just as before. Also enjoyed seeing Kerry Washington again.

So in this movie, there's the Silver Surfer character along with Von Doom, which bring about fresh challenges for the four.

There is a scene in London, with the Eye which provides an opportunity to exploit some wonderful CGI.

I noticed the famous line - "I Just Bought This Tux" was replaced and the end credits music is by Simon Webbe, his song Ride the Storm which was alright.

Its certainly refreshing for such a quality movie which many might tend to overlook after the numerous sequels this year, i think I've counted at least 12, but believe me, see this and you won't be disappointed. It's not even that long. Perfect length rather than an unnecessary 3 hour picture such as Pirates 3.

Looking forward to the third adventure now.

A good, solid sequel., 31 May 2007

Spiderman 3 is a good sequel, which I feel is a definite improvement on the second film and perhaps slightly edges the first, certainly in terms of action and special effects.

Although Peter Parker has to deal with many forces of evil in this film and may feel to some, complex because of this fact, it is nonetheless a generally simple, easy-to-follow storyline and there is continuity in terms of following on from the predecessors.

Parker has to battle with the sandman, who it is revealed is the actual killer of his Uncle, a man who has recently escaped from prison and fallen victim to a, presumably, DNA change (and you'll see how in the movie). There is also the new Spiderman Bugle photographer, who later becomes more than a match for Spiderman, played by new boy, Topher Grace, also the ever fluctuating relationships with not only Mary Jane but also Harry Osborn who has been developing what his father left behind.

So quite a lot to deal with, but don't let that put you off. If you put this alongside Pirates of the Caribbean, you'll see what I mean if you're trying to get the gist of the plot. This movie is also about an hour shorter than World's End although I'm not slating Pirates of the Caribbean, it's just, I enjoyed Spiderman much more, although I'm expecting bigger and better things from Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, its prequel being my favourite comic book outing so far.

Back to Spiderman and some criticism, yes, even I cannot pass this without some negative feedback, although the weaker parts are usually few and far between. Now, Raimi seems to have overdone Mary Jane here and I have become tired of these endlessly fluctuating relationships between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson. If it was me, I probably would have punched the girl, well; Peter does later in the movie so I wasn't far off. Anyway, my point is, how many more emotional outbursts will the audience see from Mary Jane? It's annoying to say the least. Peter should have just dated the tall girl from next door.

Now 'emo', an abbreviation if you like that seems to have about a million negative words associated with it and plastered all over it. OK, so we have the 'emo' idea in this movie as Peter changes character. It provides some humour at times. It's not needed but there's no harm in including this personality change.

The black suit, I'm sure is something everyone is expecting before seeing this film. The exact details behind the suit are not explained, or rather, the story behind the black stuff, that to begin with, is 'attracted' to Peter Parker. This may bother some, it bothered me slightly but don't be put off by this.

Also, I noticed an extra in this film who looked EXACTLY like Willem Dafoe. Whether it really was him sitting in the background in the Jazz club, I'm not sure of, but anyway, I wouldn't be surprised.

The acting was usually at a reasonable level and I enjoyed the score for the most part.

Anyway, overall then a great film, which leaves the door open for a 4th adventure.

Should have been night, night shyamalan after the first to be quite honest, 3 May 2007

Shyamalan's major film outings have been particularly poor and after the overrated Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, came Signs, which i actually mildly enjoyed for a one time viewing but even that is being too generous.

I have nothing against Paul Giammati, i think he is a fine actor and has put in some excellent performances over the years and is getting known more and more.

But...

This movie is so boring, sadly for Giammati, less watchable than sixth sense and unbreakable.

Poor direction yet again from Shyamalan, another wasted opportunity, half-decent idea but poorly executed.

Shoddy jobs in the past too.

Shyamalan needs to pack up for good.

People might slate Balls of Steel for its, at times, childish humour but one thing is for sure, this is top quality entertainment, however rude it may be, 3 May 2007

Balls of Steel has now had two runnings on Friday night Channel 4, its first outing being in August/ September 2005 and its latest effort in February and March 2007.

I have to say, this is fun stuff. No matter what people say about how rude or childish it might be, its entertainment at its best, taking much of the idea from hidden camera shows and targeting members of the public.

There are several acts, some did not return for Series 2, a shame really and were replaced by people such as The Escapologist and Mr. Inappropriate. It would have been nice if the World's Worst had returned, you may recall the barman and taxi driver jobs were damn funny from the first series.

Anyway, there are six acts on each episode and the studio audience vote for a winner although I'm not sure whether their votes really count, because the actual winners are usually not what i would say were the best acts each week.

My personal favourites include Neg and his Urban Sports, the Burger Bowl Off and the first series Urban Sprinting were some of the best, then there's Alex Zane and his Game Shows which are bloody hilarious, perhaps some of the first series game shows were the best and for me, 3rd place has to be handed to the Militant Black Guy.

There are other decent acts including the Annoying Devil, Olivia Lee's Prank TV and another decent one, by former All Stars singer (a failed band), Thaila Zucchi or something like that - the bunny boiler where she tries to pull other people's boyfriends.

Some of the acts do get a little repetitive but I would welcome back another series, perhaps with a few fresh acts, anyday, but they would have to keep Neg, Alex Zane and the Militant Black Guy.

Good Fun.