contractorjohn2003

Selma (2014)
Watch this and feel white guilt or Oprah and Sharpton...., 21 January 2015

.. will call you racist.

All kidding aside, the country is racial fatigued, between thugs like Trayvon, Michael Brown, the whole Ferguson riots, the thugs murdering of two innocent cops in new york, and so on.

Now this movie comes out, as a yearly reminder that any bad behavior on the part of blacks is forgiven, excused, and condoned because of the ancient past...and even the song "Glory" has references to Ferguson. Really, Oprah? Tying Selma to Ferguson only lessen and cheapens the entire movie.

I for one feel no guilt what so ever about the 50s and 60s, and neither should you. Think for yourself.

The Grey (2011)
Good but not great, 28 January 2012

Very strong start for the first 30-40 minutes, but after their first stand in the woods, the movie gets a bit depressing and slow moving afterward.

The movie culminates in an extremely unsatisfying ending. And, judging by the comments and groans by others in the theater, I wasn't the only one who left feeling that way.

The movie could have been great if they had shown a few more showdowns with the wolves, as was suggested in the advertising for the movie. At one point, Liam's character said they'd "pick them off, one at a time". This never happened, and they never tried to follow that gameplan. Too bad.

Overall, above average, worth seeing if not much else is showing and definitely worth a rental.

Immortals (2011)
So-so...., 12 November 2011

I expected more out of this movie. Some parts of it felt small, not so epic, sort of focusing in on trivial dialogue and other minutiae - not quite what I was expecting. These scenes felt plain, sort of the type of set you'd see in a sy-fy channel movie.

Other parts were beautiful and well crafted, and indeed did feel epic. It is just too bad that the director had to put the "filler" in there. I am guessing the last 30 minutes is probably the best part of the film, with the middle 30 being filler, and the first 30 a mix of the two.

I got the feeling that the budget wasn't quite big enough for an actual "epic" sized film. Too bad.

Oh, and the depiction of the "titans" was quite underwhelming and not well done at all.

Strong start, then quickly ran out of steam., 23 July 2011

Joe Johnston has done it again, managing to take what SHOULD be great action flick material and managed to make it, well, boring.

Don't get me wrong, the film started out quite well. The change from puny wimp to super hero was well done, as was the intro sequence with red skull. The whole nazi-mysticism mystique was done very well. But it seemed that after Joe Johnston filmed these two or three well thought out portions, the rest of the film was just filler.

I caught myself looking at my watch a few times, just sort of wanting the movie to end - and this was at the 1/2 point of the film. The action sequences are fairly average for the most part and I really never got that "edge of my seat" feeling as the characters faced peril.

All in all, an above-average film which could have been great if someone with better directing chops had been chosen.