dcorvino

Maggie (2015/I)
Sad, depressing, hopeless., 8 July 2015

This is one sad and depressing movie. Breslin and Schwarzenegger both turn in brilliant performances, but the story itself is sad to watch. It could easily have been a story about any contagious terminal disease, and not much would have to be changed.

The relationships in this movie are very believable and it is hard not to feel the hopelessness that Father and Daughter experience. There can simply be no happy ending.

Acting, directing, theme, style, and message are well conceived and produced. However, all combine to make you want to watch something more uplifting and alive. This movie drags you down and then ends.

I can't take anything away from the cast. They were amazingly believable. It's almost like it really happened to them and we're just there to watch it unfold.

The 'Burbs (1989)
One of my favorite little movies!, 27 May 2015

I love The 'Burbs! I'll admit it! I have watched it well over 2 dozen times. The characters are hilarious, the story is good, the neighborhood is great, and the comedy is fun. Tom Hanks does a fantastic job, as does everyone else in the cast. Carrie Fisher doesn't have a great deal to do but she is very convincing as Hank's wife. The film's score is one of the best you'll ever experience in a comedy. It is just fantastic. It really adds to the film. There's just something about this movie that connects with the average Joe. You can see yourself in the situations and you know you would react the same way. Watch it for yourself. And then watch it again. It won't be long before this movie seems like an old friend you enjoy visiting!

I was embarrassed to be seen at this movie, 22 July 2013

How can I fully express my total disappointment in this film? It may not be possible. I am one of those who actually liked the first Grown Ups. It had a plot, good characters and lots of fun. The sequel, on the other hand, is pointless, stupid, juvenile, and insulting. Not one redeeming quality in the entire movie. I contemplated leaving after the first 15 minutes! I forced myself to stay just to see if this mess would get any better. It didn't. The jokes concern nude men, homosexual men, brainless women, sex, bodily functions (over and over again!), and more of the same, repeatedly. No story, no acting, no thought, no point. I was the first one out of the theater and never looked back.

What a total waste of time.

An OK movie, but rather forgettable., 4 July 2013

Maybe I was expecting too much from this movie. But from the size of the theater (the smallest of 16 screens), my local cinema didn't expect much either. There's lots of action, some of it is funny, some of it is gory, some of it is totally unbelievable. But the movie never decides what it wants to be, a serious tale with comedy mixed in, or a comedy with a few dramatic shots tossed in. Or something else. The acting is good, effects are good, but I don't think the lead character was strong enough. He was a powderpuff dork! Oh well, some will like it, some won't. It all depends on your expectations. I guess mine were just too high.

Not as good as the BBC version, 24 May 2011

Although I am a fan of the series, the American version of Kitchen Nightmares is not as good as the British version. The American version seems much more dramatic. It is loaded with arguments, family problems, and near fisticuffs. The British version concentrates on the restaurant's problems and how to solve them. It is excellent. I don't want to see a bunch of staged drama (Similar to the fake drama in Cake Boss). I want reality, something that is missing from reality TV! I want to watch Gordon identify the problems, and fix the problems. Along the way, show me how the food is made and improved upon. And by the way, does Gordon really hate every single first meal he has at these restaurants? The chefs can't be that bad, at least not some of them anyway.