Sherazade

Page 1 of 68:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Nebraska (2013)
America, the beautiful..., 23 June 2014

The film had hardly started and I could already feel the tugging at my heartstrings, Bruce Dern had me at hello and his amazing supporting cast thereafter, including but not limited to; Will Forte, June Squibb & Stacy Keach. It has been suggested that this modern day marvel of a film only appeals to people who can relate to it but I beg to differ. I did not grow up in rural America nor rural anywhere for that matter. Listen, the film had heart and filming it in black and white only added to its existing allure. It had all the right elements; great script, great backdrop, great cast, compelling story lines, great performances, great pop-up characters, the right amount of up and down moments, excellent camera work, symbolism occurring naturally without it having to be spoon-fed to its audience; all of this plus America's great countryside and winding roads ever beauteous and majestic serving perfectly as backdrop and silent character. Keach (an actor known for his amazing voice and voice-over talent) even sings at some point before solidifying himself as the movie's main villain. You know what? This film was perfect. It's the kind of must-see cinematographic brilliance that you'd willingly forgive its faltering and flaws if any.

Gravity (2013)
Impressive but I felt like I watched it while it was being edited, 6 June 2014

things happened so fast and before I knew it, Ryan Stone was saying "thank you" and the credits were rolling. I like movies that come to the point immediately but this one was a little too "boom, bang, bing." Aside from that feeling, it was a brilliant albeit not very scientifically accurate film. A group of astronauts are making repairs on a Hubble Space Telescope when they receive an emergency alert from the Houston command centre to abandon their mission and begin re-entry into the earth's atmosphere immediately. Apparently a missile strike to destroy an abandoned Russian satellite is sending speeding debris their way. Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) a medical engineer (on her first mission into space) initially hesitates to abandon her tasks but is given an order by mission commander Matthew Kowalski (George Clooney) a veteran astronaut (on his last mission into space before retirement) and she finally obliges. Stone soon realises the severity of the situation when their colleague, flight engineer Shariff (Phaldut Sharma) is momentarily struck and killed by flying debris before he can detach himself from the equipment he was working on. Soon after they lose contact with Houston mission control, Stone panics and the consequences of her reactions leaves her drifting off into space until she is rescued by Kowalski. Further panic and lack of experience on Stone's part leads to further complications in their escape plan as they proceed to investigate the impact of the damage on their ship, retrieve Shariff's body and plot a mission to reach the damaged International Space Station (ISS) in order to retrieve a shuttle to get them to the Chinese Space Station Tiangong that is slowly falling back to earth. Brilliant acting and emoting by Bullock, she pretty much owned the entire movie, Clooney was more like a supporting actor and just cake walked through his part. Definitely an achievement in cinematography.

Her (2013)
Unique, good but not great, 4 June 2014

as much as I love Joaquin Phoenix, this was not his best work and having seen the film I am no longer upset that he got ignored by the academy and most other award giving bodies during award season because like I said, this wasn't his best work. Scarlett Johansson who doesn't even appear in the film (only her voice was used) stole the show and even she too was not up for accolade consideration so it is understandable if no other acting talent in the film got recognised. The script was unique enough; a man with mother and wife issues falls in love with his computer's operating system (voiced by Johansson) and complex issues arise there after. The main locations; Manhattan Beach, California and Shanghai China were spectacular. In fact when people pay special tribute or respect to props or locales that appear within a film, this one was/is definitely a candidate for such admiration because I felt that the scenic backdrops were as much as characters in the film as any of the humans starring in it. Rooney Mara and Amy Adams co-star. A great watch. Would I like to see it again? No but it was a visually stunning achievement in cinematography.

Brilliant, 3 June 2014

I subtracted one point from this film being a 10/10 because I didn't like the fact that the sailor (Robert Redford) was basically an unknown person (he could have been an escaped convict receiving his just comeuppance at sea for all we knew) and the monologue he gave at the beginning of the film while being heartfelt was very ambiguous but upon completion of the the film, I watched the behind-the-scenes reels and listened to the screen-writer, director and other personnel explain why the sailor's identity was kept unknown and I sort of got it but still did not like the idea. It was a beautiful concept though, it forces the viewers to put themselves in the sailors shoes and just go on this nearly two week journey of what happens to a man alone at sea when his sailboat collides with a massive container that has dropped off of a cargo ship. Except for the beginning monologue, a may day call, a cry for help & one choice word uttered by the sailor at some point during the course of the film, the movie is pretty much silent or dialogue-free otherwise. Robert Redford is a maestro, words cannot begin to describe how he effectively and effortlessly tackled such a demanding role.

A Grittier Version of 'White House Down', 2 June 2014

as if that is even possible because in all actuality both films packed a wallop. I liked this one better because I felt Gerard Butler (who plays the lead here) had more to prove than Channing Tatum did in 'White House Down' and the former's character was more skillful than the latter though it most be said that the former was already a former secret service agent, no pun intended. I'd recommend both films but watch this one first if you're into a strong plot being laid out before all the action begins and serious characters actually acting with a purpose as opposed to ridiculous scenarios playing out as a set up for the bad things that were about there take place as was often the case with 'White House Down.' That and Gerard Butler has only wowed me in two things I've seen him in; 'Machine Gun Preacher' and this film.

Not the worst thing I've seen..., 2 June 2014

People and critics alike made it seem like this was the Disney version of 'The Tourist' or 'The Rum Diary' or something but it was nothing of that sort at all. I guess there is just a vendetta out against Johnny Depp and his films these last few years or people were just uncomfortable with the subject matter of this film which deals with the painful stories of the "White Man" pretty much took over America from "Native Americans" while briefly touching on slavery and oppression.

The film was almost perfect, there were a few scenes that seemed either forced or out of place but the chemistry between the two leads Tonto (Johnny Depp) and John, the lone ranger (Armie Hammer) was commendably good. Helena Bonham Carter is amazing is everything she essays and she was nothing short of that here, Ruth Wilson was also effective and mastered that American southern accent well. I know it was a Disney production and all but they could have done away with the folklore-oral- history-class format between Tonto and the little boy in the beginning.

B+

Krrish 3 (2013)
This fails the two preceding films big time..., 2 June 2014

okay so, I remember a few years ago Hrithik Roshan said (having seen James Cameron's 'Avatar') that they (he, his father Rakesh and the production team of 'Krrish 3') just got a wake-up call of sorts and would have to return the drawing board when making the next installment of the 'Krrish' series since 'Avatar' had now blown cinematographic technology and visual effects as they know it out of the water, so to speak. Fast forward to 2013 'Krrish 3' and this is what they came up with? Don't get me wrong, for Bollywood their attempt to advance CGI visual effects etc. was commendable but let the technological praises end there. With this film they have borrowed (or copied) every cool thing from every Hollywood superhero who ever did a cool thing on screen and the worst part is that they looked bad copying it. Krrish (Roshan) is reduced to posturing and posing on very tall buildings and objects and he flies around saving people in ridiculous scenarios that could never happen in real life just to show off his skills and dare I say super prowess? The only thing that saves Roshan (acting-wise) is that he is playing a dual role of both his character's aged father (who was thought dead but rescued in part 2) and Krrish himself, which is very noteworthy because of the way he was able to play both parts convincingly. The chemistry between Krrish and Priya (Priyanka Chopra) rose and reached its peak in part 2 but unfortunately no one saw that in the casting department and allowed the now painfully forced relationship to continue through part 3. They are trying to make Priya into a Lois Lane type character but it's a sad thing when the hero has more chemistry with main female villain (Kaya, played to perfection by the riveting Kangana Ranuaut) than with his wife. It should also be noted that the villains Kaal (Vivek Oberoi) and Kaya (Ranaut) along with their sinister pack stole the show and without them the film would not have been worth watching at all. FYI: the character Kaal is inspired by Lex Luthor from the Superman comics. Also, a special proper goes out to Mr. Amitabh Bachchan who served as narrator and brilliantly summarised the first two films in under ten minutes for those who either needed a refresher or who hadn't seen the first two installments.

Hilarious. Entertaining. Hilariously Entertaining..., 1 June 2014

but don't try and read too much meaning into the plot or scenarios that are playing out before or after the plot kicks in or try and over analyse anything that you're seeing because for one it has all been done before (and better) and two a ridiculous coup like this could never happen in real life, it's not meant to send some kind of cryptic subliminal social message or point fingers at any dueling political parties in real life. Just sit back relax for two hours or so and watch good looking guys chase each other around with big guns and other arsenal, kick each others butts into the next hour and blow things up sky high all in the name of entertainment and nothing more. The only thing that mirrored anything that could remotely happen in real life was/is the blatant irresponsible stance the media/press take when reporting the news.

As close as we'll ever get to perfection, 1 June 2014

I challenge anyone who did not or does not think this was a 10/10 film to make a better version. People, especially picky ones just like to nitpick for the sake of doing so. When I saw this film, I did not even go in expecting to be blown away or anything but that happened any way and so much more. Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble' was such and ambitious project because they were tasked with not only bringing together some of the greatest superheroes every written but also making it work. Each one of these heroes (Thor, captain America, Iron man, Black widow, Hawk eye, The hulk) can helm and deliver their own action packed titular vehicle in their own right, so taming the egos (which did flare up during the course of the film) long enough to get the job done was also a commendable task that was accomplished here as was the amazing chemistry shared among all the cast members. Centering the main plot around the alien force of energy known as 'the tesseract' (which has been a subject in other Marvel flicks) was also brilliant. The sub-plots of Natasha's skill set, Loki playing up the hulk and Nick Fury and the S.H.I.E.L.D's insidious agenda for regaining 'the tesseract' were also spot on. Iron man/Tony Stark's amazing one-liners had me in stitches, he was even funnier here than he is in his own movies.

Even better than the first, 27 May 2014

right from the opening scene of a disturbed Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) deep in thought as she looks out over a lake during a hunt, you can tell that not only have the makers of this follow-up to 'The Hunger Games' spent more money on its production but you are also in for a more compelling and thought provoking thrill of a ride and that is exactly what was delivered. We meet Katniss as she ponders about an upcoming tour of the districts as she struggles to cope with haunting effects of post traumatic stress disorder and recurring daydreams of those she was forced to kill in order to survive. Halfway through her tour, she breaks down under stress (and pressure from the president) inadvertently causing the death of an innocent with rippling effects that consequentially lead to the rules of the upcoming ' Hunger Games' to be bent in order to punish her and any/all of her sympathizers.

Page 1 of 68:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]