HallenbeckJoe

After "Planet Earth", another BBC masterpiece, 5 July 2009

I'm usually not a big fan of documentaries, but "South Pacific BBC" is an exception. This 6-part BBC mini-series of the South Pacific shows not only clichéd postcard-style images, but also the south pacific's diverse wildlife, people, history and its condition today.

Interesting stories alternate with amazing images from the air as well as in the water. At the end of every Episode, the "South Pacific Diaries" show the difficulties the team experienced while filming and the high-tech material they used.

As the BBC is not only ad-driven, they were able to invest a huge amount of money, which pays off: top-notch direction, sound, narrating and image quality (check the blu-ray!). I see no big flaws, only the wildlife parts are in a few cases a bit boring.

After "Planet Earth", another BBC masterpiece, 16 June 2009