leighsaavedra

A unique and memorable relationship grows between a former first lady and the secret service man who helps protect her., 8 July 2007

This should not be a spoiler except in terms of flavor; this fine film brings me back to "Driving Miss Daisy." A reluctant secret service agent (Cage) is forced to renew his term for "guarding" a moody, very bright, usually difficult former first lady. From an infinite number of quickly subdued facial expressions, inhalations, and rare comments, we see that Tess (the former first lady) is a complicated character, built of far more complex material than that which has created simply a tiresome, demanding and spoiled lady finding herself in old age without having prepared for the life she has now.

Rather quickly, we see her aloneness in the world. Less quickly, Cage too sees it and exhibits an understanding that far transcends the many funny moments in this serious work.

See it. If you understand how close to the soul its scratches are, your eyes won't be dry at the end.